EL W Europa League Semi-Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 6:2 AS Roma

Post-match discussion

Thu, 29 April 2021

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Team were alright, missed Dan James tbh would have been 8 or 9 with him on, ole out

El Zoido

Another great night, I’d absolutely love to see this team lift a trophy. When we play like this we’re going to score goals against anyone.

K stand Red

Any one confirm if Pogba was to pick up another yellow in the 2nd leg would he miss the final

MrBest

Struggling to have a man of the match for this one, Bruno Cavani and Pogba bossed them in the second half.

Tarrou

only saw the highlights when I got up, what a rollercoaster that was.. we scored some brilliant goals

can only imagine the shit-show that was the match day thread at half time :lol:

MattJ166

Definitely made my early morning wake up a lot easier to see that scoreline. The match day thread is a literal cancer though, so many fairweather fans.

We can afford to play a strong team agaisnt liverpool now and end the season strong in both the EL cup & Premier league. Happy days.

cyril C

Struggling to have a man of the match for this one, Bruno Cavani and Pogba bossed them in the second half.
To me it was simple. Pogba lost the 1st goal, crawl his way back with some great effort in 2nd half. Cavani missed a sitter (or 2?) but did his job. Only Bruno was consistent throughout the match.

cyril C

only saw the highlights when I got up, what a rollercoaster that was.. we scored some brilliant goals

can only imagine the shit-show that was the match day thread at half time :lol:
I had no doubt (during half time) that we will somehow crawl our way back, as Roma defence was even worse than ours, and used up all Subs. Only question mark that I had, was how many chances that we need to create (or waste) in order to score; would we leak in more soft goals; and whether Fred (add Pogba later on) will pick up a 2nd yellow. And of course, we need some cushion goals so I could only relax after 4-2.

Giggs86

Ole's half time team talk -

Lads it's Roma.
It's Smalling.
It's Miki.

Neo_Mufc

I'd put that up there in Ole's top 5 games managed so far with Man Utd. It almost looked like things were going to turn very sour but we did a complete 180 and was having so much fun out there.

Time to win this now. He and we need a trophy.

tjb

we were fantastic on the counter today, but it also exposed how bad our midfield is. Pogba, Cavani and Bruno could have produced that week in week out if they had the support of a progressing ball winning midfield. Put that attack with any of the other midfields in the top 6 outside of West Ham and they would produce this performance consistently. That's the difference for us. This is especially clear after watching the champions league games this week and seeing how quickly those teams were able to maintain and progress the ball. Imagine giving Bruno the space and time to craft chance after chance with the knowledge that the ball would return to him quickly if he lost it. That's what we miss in this team. Imagine Cavani being able to recieve the ball in dangerous zones, today was one of the first times we have been able to see how creative he is due to the ball never really moving quickly enough to get that high up. Imagine Greenwood recieving the ball with the space to consistently get out a shot.

These things all occur when the ball is able to move quickly. The reason its not able to move quickly is because our midfielders lack the technical ability to hold possession, so therefore slow it down by playing it back...and our midfielders don't win the ball quickly enough after losing possession. Today was the rare day they met a match in poor technical ability in the middle.

oz insomniac

The elephant in the room is now obviously the need to invest in a true 9, Cavani at 34 shows how important it is to have a player that does the things Rudd, RVP provided in the past.

Will the Glazers put their hand so the proverbial pocket and sanction the spending to bring a Haaland , Kane or similar to the club. If they are content to soak up the dividends and ignore the reality of situation , then we are stuck like Groundhog Day. In a nutshell, this off-season is an opportunity for the Glazers to show real interest in the development of the club they own.

After the Granada game I said they were the worst team we had played all season. Roma have just overtaken that. Even when they were winning in the first half they were absolutely hopeless.
Let’s give credit where credit is due, they were probably the worse team we could have faced in the CL at that stage when we beat them 7-1but we had to put in our best performance to score 7, just like today we had to be at our best.

Chicharo

We have to do everything to keep Pogba.
It is a must. Honestly I've never understood people saying he suddenly plays the best football since he arrived only to secure a better contract when he leaves. But every time I see photo from a training he is smiling, every time we score a goal he screams out of pure joy. He even made that joke about the penalty. People who play just to get a better offer and plan to leave don't act like that.
He must stay. Watching him and Bruno is fantastic.

GreatDane

My kid was having nightmares at 2-2 so I went to him and we both fell asleep after a while - woke up to 6-2 this morning...

Thanks alot boogieman for making me miss this!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Not when it happens 2 seconds after the ball has passed by the attacker. Don't think that should have been a penalty.
So would you say you're allowed to slide through the back of a player if the ball isnt near?

Also, it was never 2 seconds. It was the same action. Cavani went for the flick as Smalling went to ground.

CG1010

It is a must. Honestly I've never understood people saying he suddenly plays the best football since he arrived only to secure a better contract when he leaves. But every time I see photo from a training he is smiling, every time we score a goal he screams out of pure joy. He even made that joke about the penalty. People who play just to get a better offer and plan to leave don't act like that.
He must stay. Watching him and Bruno is fantastic.
I agree.. he is not a unprofessional player but a confidence player who sometimes loses confidence and is not able to perform as well. Very different things those two.

always_hoping

The decision to rest both Pobga, Cavani at the weekend proved to be a shrewd move, both full of energy, running. That was agurably Cavani best game in the United shirt and could easily have scored 4 goals. Pogba really enjoying his football again and more importantly delivering a big impact on games on a more consistent basis.

Siorac

Yeah, can’t believe people are saying otherwise. We were miles better than them in the first half and should have been out of sight, not behind.
We created pretty much nothing after Bruno's goal in the first half, there was no chance we'd be out of sight. We were alright in between the two boxes but it wasn't a good first half and there's no need to pretend it was - the second half was more than good enough to make up for it.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Great result, which really puts us in a comfortable position in the second leg. Finish the second leg off with a professional display, while resting a few key players.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
It'll go down as a good season for United and rightfully so if you go on to win the final. 2nd in the league, far closer to the top and a trophy to boot (yes you were heavy favorites for it from the start given the competition).

The next question is with the right addition will Ole take you that next step onto the big ones, CL, PL etc. Only time will tell

Man of the Match

Edinson Cavani image Edinson Cavani 72% of 334 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 320 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Roma win
  • Draw