EL L Europa League Semi-Final 2nd Leg

AS Roma 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 06 May 2021

kiristao

It was almost like all the players wanted to troll Mourinho by making him think this is a good team he is getting so that his meltdown is even more hardcore when reality hits him.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Personally thought Wan Bissaka and Shaw played ok too. The drop off at half time in our play was so noticeable it was untrue. What the f has happened to Williams. Looks a shadow of the lad that came into the team last year. Needs a year playing pro football somewhere week in. Telles was gash. Bailly an accident waiting to happen. VDB looks shot. Pogba can never again play a pivot role... he's too fecking casual.

Dinghy

First final for years, yet I'm more annoyed about the performance than anything else. Don't trust this bunch one bit, Villarreal are clear favourites for the final.

The Hilton

Horribly pedestrian performance, but hopefully the energy we clearly saved will show in the upcoming fixture crunch.

Tony247

VDB man, don't know if it is lacknof confidence, lack of playing time, different style of football...whatever it is, not working.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Shows why he started with a strong side. Disappointed they lost in the night

2nd was ridiculous, and real questions marks over our squad players in Telles and VDB

Delighted to be in a final. Will be desperate for us to win it

Shiva87

That was such a low key performance. They were never treating this as an isolated game. The team knew the game was won and played like it.

Will be good learning for the team to know that regardless of overall score line, they should not let their guard down. That loss will hurt just enough given its the end of an amazing away record.

Woodzy

We genuinely could have lost that tie if it wasn’t for De Gea.

Hairdryer needed for that defensive performance.

Moments of brilliance from some of our attacking players though.

Gasolin

When we rotate, we have weird results and I don't understand but I hope we improve the subs really. And I hope for the final, we are ready.

Walters_19_MuFc

First of all, congratulations to the boys for reaching the final.

We were poor but when you have such a big deficit, you can sometimes get complacent. As a unit, we were poor but I expect us to be a lot better in the final.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Probably deserved to lose, but still not sure about that last goal. The coverage didn't show the VAR replay with the lines on the pitch like they did for both Cavani's goals.

Oh well. We played that like a pre-season friendly. Zero intensity from anyone bar Cavani and De Gea.

Nickelodeon

Man we need better FB replacements. Both Williams and Telles were atrocious. And what the feck is Fred thinking on their second goal?

On a positive note, De Gea gave a glimpse of some of his best. Not sure whether there’s sufficient evidence for him to be below Henderson in the pecking order.

always_hoping

Deserved win on the night for Roma and thanks mostly to United producing their worst defensive performance since the 6-1 loss to Spurs this season and only for De Gea United would have conceded 6 goals again.

A repeat of that defensive performance won't win the final against Villarreal team whom are unbeaten in their last 14 Europa league matches.

I'd question the professional attitude of number of Uniteds players tonight but perhaps they should be given the benefit of the doubt when you consider this tie was won in the 1st leg

Chippa62

Job done. All of the comments in the Match Day thread saying we should have started with the second string team. Aren't you glad we didn't now?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We’re in a final! Enjoy it everyone. Need to make the most of moments like this :D

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Swapping the fullbacks really ruined our game in this one. No blame to Ole on that decision though. We were cruising through and resting players is sensible. I doubt anyone would have expected them - particularly Telles - to be that bad.

Despite the final result, we did have some wonderful attacking moves. I hope we get to see some more of Fernandes and Cavani next season.

Scholes_boi

We're through. We knew Roma were going to attack really hard in the 2nd half and they did. No idea how that 3rd goal wasn't ruled out, you didn't even need the line to show it....?

De Gea with some fantastic saves. Cavani and Fernandes were incredible. The rest were playing in second gear.

I player who I was impressed by was Ebrima Darboe - very skilled and composed for a 19 year old and made very few mistakes in a high stake game like this. Was constantly looking to get the ball forward and was in the right positions more often than not. Anyone who watches Serie A know what he's like in their league and cup matches?

Siorac

That was a weird game. A little amateurish, really. Mourinho probably hated every minute of it.

Eddy_JukeZ

Shocking performance, but likely all stemming from complacency.

Glad we got to the final. Let's go win it now.

TrustInOle

For a dead rubber tie, that was a cracking game of football, bit of a lapse in concentration once we changed both full backs, but our brilliant first leg gave us the advantage of being able to take that risk and rest them. Cavani is sensational, could have very easily had 5 tonight.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Job done! Happy to make the final. Let's hope we win!

siw2007

Firstly, defensively, what was that! De Gea is MOTM in a game where we ship 3 goals says everything about how we defended on the night, I get that the change in full backs was hard going but still, they need to hang their heads in shame at that. Thank god for Cavani who was superb at the other end and saved us what could have been a nervy end.

Now that is out of the way, well done to the team on breaking that semi final hoodoo (which I always felt we would) and reaching the EL final. This team needs to play in cup finals to experience big games, it needs to win the matches too. Villarreal will be tough opponents but we are favourites and have to believe if we play to our potential (and defend 1000% better than tonight) we will be victorious.

RedIan

Thank god for David, save after save, could have been a real nail biter had he not been on top form. He certainly silenced a few red cafe detractors !!
our defence turned to shambolic when shaw and AWB were replaced. Telles defending was really poor And Brandon not much better.

Bruno was great, Cavani superb... but i give Degea motm

end of the day we are in the final - bring On VR

Paul_Scholes18

Final! Poor performance in second half. De Gea saved us. We really missed Lindelöf a lot. Bailly was pure crap and Maguire played worse without his regular partner.
Changing fullbacks did not help either I think.
In attack we did alright though I say, but our defending could have resulted in 2-3 more goals conceded on another day.

Let us win this now though! We did only need to do what we did so should not be too harsh.

wolvored

Glad we are through but playing that poor with our starting 10/11 and with a week's rest as well. Good job DeGea was on form. Cavani and Maguire had good games as well

stu_1992

Job done and our first final in a while, you have to be happy with that really. In truth it wasn't really in doubt since the first game's result. We played like a team that one the first leg 6-2 so I wouldn't read too much into how open we were in this game to be honest. Just a bit overly relaxed and happy to play an open game.

De Gea was very good despite conceding three goals. Cavani excellent too. Another great game from him recently. Fernandes very good too. Could have had a few more ourselves, Cavani had two chances I can think of and Greenwood had another.
Overall no real complaints from me, I'm just happy to see the team progress past a semi final and have an opportunity to end the trophy drought.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 69% of 245 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 223 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Roma win
  • Draw