PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sun, 01 December 2019

Adam_S

That lineup has to be the worse Manchester United center midfield combo I can ever recall seeing, and that includes the Kleberson/Djemba^2 days.

John Blund

I'm struggling to see what Pereira offers. Then again, I said the same thing one year ago about the guy I'm missing the most today - McTominay.
Pereira just doesn't seem like a United player. At least not if we're aiming for top 4 or higher. Fred gots his moments - he's looking for that good pass. Pereira, God knows what's he's doing.

manc4red

We missed a chance. Chelsea and city both dropped pts this week. We couldve closed that gap on them

Sweet Square

I'm struggling to see what Pereira offers. Then again, I said the same thing one year ago about the guy I'm missing the most today - McTominay.
Pereira just doesn't seem like a United player. At least not if we're aiming for top 4 or higher. Fred gots his moments - he's looking for that good pass. Pereira, God knows what's he's doing.
There's no one else to play instead, right ? I think he just here because theres no one else.

Ole has to be looking at a replacement(Be it in the transfer window or youth team)for Pereria.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
When you think that the Club paid that front 3 + Mata on ~600k/wk for such display. Which is what Messi on.

Reiver

All the people on here moaning! We are now a mid table club with mid table ambitions. No one expects OGS to crack the top four so why moan about a home draw to Villa? This is 2019 and the level we are at as a club. Two points lost? It was a point gained ffs!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm sure most people knew it was daft to go with Fred and Pereira in midfield again. Inexcusable really. And once you make that daft choice, it's daft again to put Mata ahead of them, offering zero protection (which they needed).

The comments last week about not believing in the game plan has something to it. They don't believe in Ole. Yet again we see that we are utterly incapable of providing answers against defensively organised teams. As soon as they pulled ahead you could tell what kind of game it was going to be. That first half was dominated by Villa and as bad as anything I've seen this season. Second half had a bit more openness and sloppiness from both teams. Ole went from 4231 to a 442 with Mata on the right side. Then back to a 4231 once Lingard came on for Mata.

He really doesn't know what he's doing and the players know it and it's showing.

Sweet Square

I mean we must have a few wheelie bins kicking around?
Yeah the front 3 weren't great today. :smirk:

I'm sure most people knew it was daft to go with Fred and Pereira in midfield again. Inexcusable really. And once you make that daft choice, it's daft again to put Mata ahead of them, offering zero protection (which they needed).

The comments last week about not believing in the game plan has something to it. They don't believe in Ole. Yet again we see that we are utterly incapable of providing answers against defensively organised teams. As soon as they pulled ahead you could tell what kind of game it was going to be. That first half was dominated by Villa and as bad as anything I've seen this season. Second half had a bit more openness and sloppiness from both teams. Ole went from 4231 to a 442 with Mata on the right side. Then back to a 4231 once Lingard came on for Mata.

He really doesn't know what he's doing and the players know it and it's showing.
Who else does he play ? Of course its a daft to play Fred and Pereira but unless Fred the Red has shown some real promise in the warm up, there's literally no one else.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
All the people on here moaning! We are now a mid table club with mid table ambitions. No one expects OGS to crack the top four so why moan about a home draw to Villa? This is 2019 and the level we are at as a club. Two points lost? It was a point gained ffs!
So we should all just accept it?

We were piss poor all game long, but shitting on Perreira is becoming quite booring. He is not good enough, but does try his best and delivered that good cross today. Its actually his only above average attribute, crossing the ball.

And as some of you guys mentioned earlier: we simply dont have anyone to field instead. Garner maybe?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah the front 3 weren't great today. :smirk:

Who else does he play ? Of course its a daft to play Fred and Pereira but unless Fred the Red has shown some real promise in the warm up, there's literally no one else.
Garner. You can say it's a big ask of a player his age to start in the league, but he is actually a midfielder and very promising at that. And also not compound the misery by going with the least mobile #10 in front of those two, which he did.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
That was a good result. Anytime you pick up points with a starting midfield with Fred and Andreas any points are good.

I did think it was ironic that the two worst players in the first half, Andreas and Rashford, teamed up for the goal. Football is a funny game. I'm so low on Rashford now, I'm pretty sure he gave the ball away more than anyone on the pitch. Now if he is doing with a chance of making something happen that would be one thing, he, though, gives the ball away with little chance of something happening. His passes are poor and his dribbling usually ends in a dead end.

I really hope Pogba and McTominay can be subs and play on Wednesday. I would hate for Mourinho to come here and win.

Denis79

Is the team improving? I don't see it. A few players back won't change us significantly.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I agree

Fellaini knew his limitations skill wise and he was one of the least skilful players at Utd but he was mentally one of the strongest that’s why Jose always put him on to get a goal because if Plan A was not working he was Plan B, he would do whatever he could to get a goal ignoring the “dross” of his fellow players around him. Unfortunately we now do not have a Plan B like Fellaini.........To be honest I’m not sure if Ole has a Plan A.
Funny. People are pining for Fellaini.

TrueRed79

He has to go.

It's been obvious for a long long time he isn't good enough.

It's December and we're 9th and we've won 4 games all season.
Basically this.
Only caveat is we are owned and run by absolute chancers. Glazers either sack Ed or we are royally fecked.. I’ll go with the latter. Depressing times.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The problem we have is the midfielders are good enough to shield the defence or have a defence-splitting pass in their repertoire. Strikers have done really well scoring 5 goals over the last 2 games without much help from the midfielders.

Devil may care

There are moments where you can see the sparks of talent in the team if we had a proper coach, but at the moment it feels like we are just treading water while Ole is out of his depth, the Shaw substitution today was bizarre.

Sweet Square

Garner. You can say it's a big ask of a player his age to start in the league, but he is actually a midfielder and very promising at that. And also not compound the misery by going with the least mobile #10 in front of those two, which he did.
Garner started last Thursday. There was no chance of him starting today, there simply isn't the options in midfield.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rashford - does he still think it was funny when he missed the ball and let it roll off the pitch instead of setting up a goal? It really winds me up when players do this. Why are you laughing? Why is it funny? It's not is it. Its not funny. You just cost your team a goal. Two in this case because Villa then went up the other end and scored as a result. Did the ball comically bounce up and hit you in the face? No. Do players burst into laughter when they miss a penalty? If a goal keeper fumbles the ball into his own goal does he start laughing? No, because it isn't funny, it's just shite. It isn't funny to be shite.

The subs - Is it just me or were these the most pointless subs ever? We took off three players, and replaced them with three players who play in the exact sane positions. Why bother?

TRUERED89

Pathetic defending and performance all round, took the lead for literally 2 mins! FML

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Rashford - does he still think it was funny when he missed the ball and let it roll off the pitch instead of setting up a goal? It really winds me up when players do this. Why are you laughing? Why is it funny? It's not is it. Its not funny. You just cost your team a goal. Two in this case because Villa then went up the other end and scored as a result. Did the ball comically bounce up and hit you in the face? No. Do players burst into laughter when they miss a penalty? If a goal keeper fumbles the ball into his own goal does he start laughing? No, because it isn't funny, it's just shite. It isn't funny to be shite.

The subs - Is it just me or were these the most pointless subs ever? We took off three players, and replaced them with three players who play in the exact sane positions. Why bother?
That was perplexing, but then again -- we've known now, for quite a while, that Ole's in-game management is comical, to say the least.

tenpoless

Ole's long term plan :
  1. Sign british players
  2. Get them to play a counter attacking, outdated football
  3. Have only one game plan, subs during games must be like for like
  4. Lose and draw a lot
  5. Blame players
  6. Embracing the United Mentality regardless of results
Did I miss something?

Gordon S

Marginally better only if we compare it to his worst season that actually got him sacked. Our standards have fallen so much that fans would build Ole a statue if he finished 2nd and won a cup and yet it wasn't considered a success at all back then. We all felt Mourinho could and should be doing better but it was in the context of title challenge and top 4 finish. We literally look and play like a mid table side now.
Results were definitely better but i just hated the way we played. Parked buses, hoofball to Lukaku/ Fellaini. And that was how he felt we needed to play to grind out results with this team. Ole is most probably not the man for the rebuilding job but i fear we have a long way to go regardless of next manager

Ancient Of Days

Why wouldn't they be laughing and smiling after making mistakes when all the time they see their own manager laughing and smiling and treating draws and losses as if they are funny?

Denis' cuff

Cannot believe we sent a bunch of kids to play in Europe (well, Asia, actually) to save the tired legs of our first teamers, in order to prepare for a home game vs Aston fecking Villa and then served this up.

Club is rotten to the core.

Owners bleeding the club dry
ceo riding the gravy train and fecking us
manager seemingly clueless
coaching staff that don’t coach
players who don’t give a feck

A lot of us were wary of this happening during the takeover and a number of lifelong reds defected.

This is where we are. It could get worse and the least that will happen is that it’ll take years to recover and put the club back on a proper footing. Ole is a low-cost “yes” man after two proven, top managers were hampered by this lot and not allowed to manage. I wasn’t his biggest fan but you could see there was progress with lvg and Jose literally came out and said he wasn’t the manager but merely a coach. These cnuts won’t be content until they’ve made their stash and left us to deal with the consequences. The club is absolutely awash with freeloaders, here for the ridiculous money they all get for their “efforts “. At least Phil Jones has enough shame not to accept a testimonial after averaging 17 PL games per season over a period of 10 years.

Lemansky

Ole's long term plan :
  1. Sign british players
  2. Get them to play a counter attacking, outdated football
  3. Have only one game plan, subs during games must be like for like
  4. Lose and draw a lot
  5. Blame players
  6. Embracing the United Mentality regardless of results
Did I miss something?
Cultural rebuilding and harder training. Two points that he has been banging on about.

jackal&hyde

No surprises that McGinn and Grealish more than held their own against Fred and Pereira. Both better players than what we could field.

It's easy to feel frustration. We all want United to win. It's not going to get any better until we buy better players, and it doesnt matter who is in charge.

This was the team we had to put out. A hopeless midfield three and a poor bench. There simply isn't any other option.
This. You are going to suffer in PL games when you don't have mids. The defense has also been very exposed these last two games because of no fit DM in the team. Nothing any tactic or manager could do about that.

Things are going to look better when McTom and Pogba come back. We suffer untill then.

MyDevil

This. It riled me up too. And he has a couple of stray passes before that. Totally unacceptable.

chb23

Everyone should chill. A decision was made to do a clear out and do a slow rebuild. We are not going to win with the quality of players we have currently.

Bringing someone else in will have the same results. We need better quality players.

Dr Fink

That's the worst I've ever seen Rashford play - simply appallling. His hands on hips attitude showed again today. Big time charlie. He almost missed his point blank equaliser, which in fact was an own goal off Heaton.

Anyway, to the point. Fred and Perreira - enough said. As expected with the line-up. Another tactical shocker - Ole hasn't got it. Static front three. Very, very shaky at the back too. Simply no signs of improvement.

Judas

Open to offers
Everyone should chill. A decision was made to do a clear out and do a slow rebuild. We are not going to win with the quality of players we have currently.

Bringing someone else in will have the same results. We need better quality players.
We do. But you think this manager is the quality we need? Why? How?

I completely agree with people who say the squad isn't good enough and we need new signings, but the manager is possibly the worst of the lot.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We get continually shit results because we have a shit manager. I didn’t watch the game yesterday, heard about it a few hours afterwards and was totally unsurprised. I find myself doing that more and more nowadays.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

This club will stay midtable because that will be the standard of players we will sign. Sancho is not going to come here if he has the slightest bit of ambition, neither will any other young or near prime player. Now we know why he is targeting so many Championship players, it might work, but it might also send us further into the mediocrity abyss. Why would a world class player come here when they know the standard of coaching is abysmal.

EireRed_GS

Depressing stuff lads

depressing how thin and weak our squad is
depressing how bad our midfield is
depressing knowing the manager prob wont get the money/chance to bring in players to strengthen the mf asap
depressing knowing bringing in another manager probably wont change anything
depressing knowing even if we sell pogba for big bucks in jan, its unlikely it will be invested back into the club
depressing we have a CEO who knows nothing about football
depressing the board only see figures at the end of the day £££
depressing knowing nothing will change while them leeches the Glazers & woodward are there

and when it comes to that team yesterday, sweet jesus. some of them done themselves no favours. Let themselves down big time.

DeGea - legend, top keeper
AWB - decent potential
Maguire - I like Maguire, brings a steadiness to the back line
Lindelof - looks a lot more comfortable with harry beside him, solid enough
Williams - not the best of games, but this lad has potential

Periera - Not good enough, throws his weight about, but never a 1st team utd player.
Fred - christ this mans a mystery. at times he looks decent then next minute being over run by a joke mf. But funny enough i feel he would be decent in a juve or city mf. For us though, not good enough
Mata - Love the guy, but his best days are gone.. still has a spark, but is a slight second behind, and cant control a game like he used to. with better players around him we would see more of the old mata, just unable to carry anyone

James - speed demon with lots of potential, some dodgy decisions but good overall
Rashford - Nani mark II , can do the hard things and makes a balls of the simple things
Martial - prob our most talented player, yet makes Berbatov look like a workhorse. The first half yesterday he angered me so much with his lack of effort/runs. when he cant be bothered we might aswell have 10 men

subs -
Lingard - dont expect this lad to come on and change the game.
Greenwood - not enough time, this lad could be brilliant though
Shaw - what was the point bringing him on? I dont see any future at united for shaw

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 236 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Aston Villa
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa