PL W FA Premier League

Aston Villa 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 09 July 2020

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Too much drama over this penalty decision. I know it was harsh and they were marginally the better team up until then, but does anyone seriously think we wouldn’t have won this game if not for the penalty. Sure it will have demoralised them, but I really think we would have still won this game comfortably. Villa are so bad.
The difference is that if Villa had gone a goal up United would have fought back, because they are playing with heart and are only thinking about winning, everything Villa aren't. One bad decision and their heads dropped completely which is why they are where they are.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

A bit of a mixed bag in my eyes. Before the more than questionable penalty we looked like a year ago. After that we showed some nice stuff again and could have got a few more. Villa fell totally apart though, their defense is awful. However, it is great to see us getting this kind of results again when playing weaker teams.

Greenwood really looks more and more like the real deal. He has such a direct style of play when he gets the ball around the box. Clinical finishing, calm, great eye for what is going around him and technical top notch.
I think that defenders still might underrate him a bit and that helps him to get his chances, but he has the potential to become one of world football's top scorers. It was really top class how he used his left foot in the blink of an eye yesterday when receiving the ball to gain a bit of space to finish the chance with his right. That makes him such a threat also in tight spaces.

Pogba also had a good game, I hope he continues and keeps his head down and keeps working like this. Rashford had some great moments, also his partnership with Shaw on the left is something to build upon. Our front three with Bruno and Pogba behind has the potential (not saying we are there yet) to have the quality one would expect from a top side. Add someone like Sancho and maybe another good CM and we should be fine.

On a more critical note:
While Matic has been really good over the past months I am not sure that he + Maguire + Lindelöf are mobile and fast enough when we play better sides.
AWB needs to take a look at Shaw and also try to be more clever going forward, making those quick 1-2s with whoever plays on the left, exploit the space behind the defenders etc. He stills seems a bit clumsy to me.
Bruno had a bit of poor game which is ouf course understandable. However, I have the feeling that he tries a bit too hard when things are not going as planned for him, resulting in some sloppy passes etc. He needs to stay calm and keep doing the small things in such a situation.

Overall a great result again and although we are still quite far away from thinking about challenging for major titles the future looks a bit brighter. Let's get the right 3-4 players over the next 2-3 transfer windows and I will be optimistic.

Lee565

Encouraging that we were not that good yesterday and still came away with a 3-0 win

Fosu-Mens

Chaotic before the dubious penalty(Luiz pushing Greenwood in the back was more of a penalty)...

The goal gave us some confidence, Matic and Pogba got more time on the ball and we started to control the game more.

After Matic and Fernandes got subbed, we started struggling with getting the ball forward and making any meaningful passing. I know that we were up 3, but we struggle to progress the ball forward with Fred and McT in midfield at the same time. This should be taken into account in the transfer window.

fps

Chaotic before the dubious penalty(Luiz pushing Greenwood in the back was more of a penalty)...

The goal gave us some confidence, Matic and Pogba got more time on the ball and we started to control the game more.

After Matic and Fernandes got subbed, we started struggling with getting the ball forward and making any meaningful passing. I know that we were up 3, but we struggle to progress the ball forward with Fred and McT in midfield at the same time. This should be taken into account in the transfer window.
The positions they take up when looking to receive the ball can definitely be improved, standing in front of the CBs in a triangle isn't actually the way to play DM all the time when looking to get the ball up the pitch, totally agree. I don't think it needs taking account in the transfer window, it needs taking account on the training pitch. McTominay's developing as a player and this is Fred's breakout season in England, they can improve what they're doing. It's been nice watching others try Bruno's directly forward pass into the striker, I enjoyed watching Lindelof cut and bring the ball out of defence into midfield as Maguire sometimes does, these players are starting to learn from each other in a positive sense.

Fosu-Mens

The positions they take up when looking to receive the ball can definitely be improved, standing in front of the CBs in a triangle isn't actually the way to play DM all the time when looking to get the ball up the pitch, totally agree. I don't think it needs taking account in the transfer window, it needs taking account on the training pitch. McTominay's developing as a player and this is Fred's breakout season in England, they can improve what they're doing. It's been nice watching others try Bruno's directly forward pass into the striker, I enjoyed watching Lindelof cut and bring the ball out of defence into midfield as Maguire sometimes does, these players are starting to learn from each other in a positive sense.
If we play one of them at the same time, it works, but we will continue to struggle when they are the midfielders playing. Getting someone that can rotate with Matic, or fill in for PP in a pinch will make us less reliant on PP, Matic and Bruno.

dalriada

Exactly, the answer is to get the players to improve their game, not to just replace the players.

Exactly where my do we need mctominay and Fred thread came from. They are not suitable replacements for any of our starting midfield. Bigger issues with the squad but at present they do not fit.
Imo we should keep one of Fred/Mctominay, buy a new DM also bring in Grealish or VDB.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
very dull for first 20 mins - we looked sluggish and, frankly, disinterested. Obviously, it got better after that but probably our poorest performance since the restart (along with first 45 at Spurs). That said, Villa were much poorer than I thought: nothing there; not sure how they can avoid relegation. That said, Greenwood again showing why he could be our CF and I was impressed by Pogba's attitude and was pleased with Lindelof and Shaw again, they kept concentrating despite being so under-needed. I remain concerned that Rashford isn't 100 per cent fit yet and this was Bruno's poorest game in a United shirt (despite still being pretty good!)

CG1010

46 goals scored and just 6 goals conceded in that run.
The great part about is that we have a chance of becoming habitual of winning again, for the first time since SAF. The great man always spoke about the importance of having this and if we can get into this routine without getting complacent, it would go a long way in us becoming a top team.

Any idea what its like in PL during this period? I bet its close to PL winning form (which we have to replicate of course during the entire season).

Strelok

The great part about is that we have a chance of becoming habitual of winning again, for the first time since SAF. The great man always spoke about the importance of having this and if we can get into this routine without getting complacent, it would go a long way in us becoming a top team.

Any idea what its like in PL during this period? I bet its close to PL winning form (which we have to replicate of course during the entire season).
It is. After the break we're the one who got the most points. Next real test for Ole is to produce this for an entire season. Oh I forgot about his next true real test against Southampton. Next next next then I think.

poleglass red

Shaky start but we recovered well. Few players looked a bit off, Matic and AWB didn't have their greatest games for us. Shaw played well, but I still have doubts over him and even more so with AWB on the other side. I know AWB is a great defender but the modern full back needs to do more in the attacking third. Thought Rashford still looks a bit off, he's trying, but he's overrunning the ball, overhitting passes, understandable due to his absence with injury. I still like though that he continues to make those runs. Greenwood, honestly everytime he gets the ball I am expecting something. I haven't felt this way genuinely with a utd player in a long time. Pogba's passing is sublime, Fernandes not a great game by his standards, but wins a penalty, scores it and should have had a 2nd- not bad eh.

freddie the red

I was heavily into the idea of Jose joining after SAF finished and was still up for it when he eventually turned up in 2016, but, seeing how it turned out and what's unfolding at Spurs, thank God he's no longer here.
Not necessarily saying Ole is the absolute answer but this is currently a far better situation than the poison we were seeing towards the end of 2018.

tomaldinho1

It was by no means a classic and there is still a big gap between us and the likes of City/Liverpool in my opinion - we were awarded a v soft penalty and from then the game changed. Villa just have no cutting edge although they started much better than us.

For me we're now functioning around the level I think should be our 'norm' for the players we have, we have good depth and good players in every position now and a few genuinely world class players. There were a few moments where we played lovely football but we remain (bar Lord Greenwood) horribly wasteful in front of goal, Bruno, Martial, Rashford, AWB all missing at least one sitter/one vs one.

Positives: Greenwood cementing himself, Rashford was better after the break and should have had an assist, Pogba was glorious all night, Bruno payed pretty terribly and was still ok which says a lot. Luke Shaw has been reborn and is actually overlapping now, Martial is properly putting himself aboutand I loved the sulk when he came off - he needs that hunger to score goals. Lindelof is always the CB whipping boy but recently he's been superb, I know the caf loves Maguire but Lindelof is the in form CB right now.

My big worry is when we come up against better teams, the way to hurt us is pace through the middle - Villa are a poor attacking PL team but Samatta was easily fast enough to cause Maguire problems and, given Bruno got a peno for nothing, we were lucky not to concede one when Maguire put him arm across his run and accidentally clothes lined him in the first half, Samatta also had the run on Maguire a couple of times only for Villa to mess up the move. Unless DDG starts playing further out from his goal I don't know he we rectify this because as good as Maguire is at other parts of the game he is horribly slow and if he's partnered with Lindelof there is a vacuum of pace.

It will be interesting how we fare against So'ton as Ings is in form and they play in a style that will definitely cause us issues if we keep playing from the back.

Gator Nate

It is. After the break we're the one who got the most points. Next real test for Ole is to produce this for an entire season. Oh I forgot about his next true real test against Southampton. Next next next then I think.
We are the only team without a loss in the last five games.

Goku23

We are the only team without a loss in the last five games.
The Southampton game worries me a bit there playing well and have been a bit of a bogey side for us at times I think im more worried aboit this game than the other 3 games even Leicester

Onerealunited

Some stats

4th win in a row by +3 goals

The Reds became the first side in Premier League history to win four games in a row by a margin of three or more goals. We beat Sheffield United, Brighton and Villa by the same 3-0 scoreline, with Saturday’s 5-2 win over Bournemouth also coming in the midst of our recent purple patch. Considering some of the United sides who've played in the top flight since 1992, including Sir Alex Ferguson's best vintages, that's quite a feat!

100 goals
The Reds reached 100 goals in all competitions for the season with Paul Pogba’s second-half strike. Only Manchester City (130) and Liverpool (107) have managed more in 2019/20

PENALTY KINGS
United have been awarded 13 penalties in the Premier League in 2019/20 – no team has earned more in a single campaign in the competition. Bruno's successful conversion means we've tucked away 10 of those spot-kicks.

DE GEA’S RECORD
David De Gea has now surpassed Peter Schmeichel and become United’s leading appearance-maker from outside the UK and Ireland. With 399 games now under his belt, only one goalkeeper has featured more for the Reds - Alex Stepney on 539.

Cantonagotmehere

Why was James
Good win. Greenwood, Pogba, Fernandes, Martial were TOP. Rashford unlucky. Shaw can not cross the fecking ball. James was trash. Grealish not needed. It's good to see that we can win and play good football consistetntly. I think it's first time from SAF.
Why was James trash. He took a good pop, drew a foul after a good run in a dangerous area....why bash him? Is he the new 'target'?

Maticmaker

Once we got going there was never any danger we would lose the game. Some nice interchange going on up front, midfield looks settled and threatening to the opposition, still think there are some situations in defense were we can get caught out , e.g. Pogba lost the ball forty yards out ( this was behind Matic so no opportunity for him to sweep) and the guy was in on goal without anyone stopping him, his shot hit the post but suspect De Gea had it covered.
Not blaming Pogba, or Matic, it happens but our defense needs to look at the closing down that is needed in such situations, one or other of the CB's has to go and closed down the threat and trust the other CB does the covering. That sort of understanding, 'who goes, who stays' between Maguire and Lindelof should be improving by now, but its not.

Trouble is teams like Villa who can't score for love nor money anyway, don't really offer much to defend against, but the fact that one of Villa's best goal scoring chances in the last few games, came against us is worrying.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I don't understand the controversy for the PK. A player has every right to be able to plant his foot after a move or for a shot and it is a foul when a defender moves his foot or leg to prevent the plant. It's the same as when a shooter is lining up a shot and a defender puts his foot right where the shooter is going to plant his foot. That's a foul and impeding the attacker unfairly.

My only disappointment with the match is we only had one goal during run of play. It's too bad Rashford and Martial did not convert a couple of chances.

I'm going to keep saying this: I can't believe Mason is just 18.

I feel Bruno is forcing things too much and has been doing it for a few matches now. He needs to show more patience and not feel he has to provide all of our creativity. I'm more concerned, though, with his execution with passes. Lately, he has had a few that are not even close to being good. For example, his attempt to use the outside right foot and curl around the defenders from the right side to an attacker. His attempt went right to the keeper missing his mark by a good 8 meters. I hope this is just rust and some fatigue.

macheda14

Played at 3rd gear all game, but comfortably managed to win this.

Everyone in the team look really hungry to score goals. Massive 3 points and gets us closer to top 4.
Not even third gear. For so much of the game we were just walking. It was crazy how little fight Villa gave us in the second half.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
What happened to Villa 2nd half?

They were that good in the first.
Long story short, we made tactical adjustments and increased our passing tempo to decimate Villa.

Ole was aware that Villa would play a pressing game against us as they have on occasions against bigger sides in the past. To combat this, he had our attacking players stay higher up and had our defence & midfield try to pass through Villa's press. The problem was that we started off slowly (as we tend to), and that allowed Villa to cut off most of our passing lanes and catch us off guard on occasions. We still created chances, of course, which is why we got our 2 goals, but Villa looked good because of their directness and aggression as well as our overall sluggishness.

To overcome this, Ole and the coaching staff made a few changes:
  • Martial & Greenwood started dropping deeper to get on the ball (as a result, Wan-Bissaka started pushing up higher earlier in our build-up)
  • Rashford stayed wider on the left and played more like a winger
  • We upped our passing tempo and played long, diagonal passes to the left quicker than the first half
  • Pogba got more involved in the early phases of the build-up
That worked out as we had a dominant spell that resulted in our 3rd goal and countless chances created. We then slowed down & made subs that disrupted our rhythm, which is why we couldn't get more than 3 goals, unfortunately. Still, Villa were beaten after our 3rd goal.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I don't understand the controversy for the PK.
3 reasons:
  • We're Man. United (so we draw negative attention)
  • Bruno exaggerated himself in a few similar challenges in the past (he may get a bad reputation from the refs in future matches)
  • Bruno coming down on his standing foot looked way too much like a stamp on Konsa (I disagree with that, but people have somehow latched onto that view).

Cantonagotmehere

Thank
People are too quick to forget. McTominay & Fred kept Olé in the job with the run of games they played together before COVID-19.They were the catalyst and instrumental with anything good about united before the pause.

In a recent interview Bruno Fernandes was asked how he found playing with Matic & Pogba behind him, and he instead talked up the partnership he had formed with Fred & McT before the break and was complimentary of them.

Also, regarding the impact they have had when coming on. When there are 5 changes of course the rhyme and flow will change and be disrupted. It’s difficult to do any more than they’ve done (been totally fine when coming on)

I think both are more than capable to support the first team and if anything, be potential starters themselves. Matic spot is up for grabs at any time. Only Pogba & Bruno are undroppable.
Thank you. Great post.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
3 reasons:
  • We're Man. United (so we draw negative attention)
  • Bruno exaggerated himself in a few similar challenges in the past (he may get a bad reputation from the refs in future matches)
  • Bruno coming down on his standing foot looked way too much like a stamp on Konsa (I disagree with that, but people have somehow latched onto that view).
4. Wasn’t a penalty according to the rules of the game

Tiber

We have made so much progress. Imagine where we would be right now if we could have got our hands on Haaland in addition to Bruno

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It would have made sense if Konsa wasn't outstretched and in a more natural position, but he put his foot in to try and win the ball. Fernandes put the ball away from him, however, and Konsa's outstretched leg prevented Fernandes from standing properly. If Konsa didn't put his foot in, Fernandes could have turned.

Last edited:

El Zoido

There were incorrect penalty decisions in three different games yesterday, yet I’m only seeing people talking about one of those.

LoneStar

Not even third gear. For so much of the game we were just walking. It was crazy how little fight Villa gave us in the second half.
Yeah they seemed to give up after the first goal. You would think they are comfortably mid table and not facing relegation by their performance

lukepowell1988

Likely to get grilled for this but can we not at least appreciate the fact that as much as people hate them Woodward and the Glazers at least made the right choice in bringing Ole in?

mu4c_20le

Do you remember hearing 'no patterns of play` every 15 seconds aswell? So glad those days are behind us, for now.
patterns of play, no coaching, out of his depth, clueless, runs his best players into the ground, worst manager in the PL, win %

Never understood why some people seemed to revel in misery.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

I do wonder if the lack of rotation is taking its toll a bit. We rarely broke out of walking pace yesterday. Villa folded once we took the lead and that played into our hands, but I do fear that the games are coming too thick and fast and it's starting to catch up with some of our players.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 42% of 371 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 368 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw