PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Fri, 01 January 2021

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Villa fan in peace

Firstly what a fantastic game. In my view the most dangerous team we have played this season. You are certainly on the way back up. Hats off.

Its just nice for us not to be a laughing stock anymore. We fear nobody and im loving it.

On the Grealish subject, i very much doubt he will be leaving the club he loves when we are on the way up, with great football, rich owners and hopefully a top half finish. He will want to take his club further. If we fail then yes he will go and who can blame him.

Wish you well for the season. One of these days we owe you a thumping for all the years of defeats
You will get Champions League football if you keep this up for the second half of the season. I do actually hope Grealish stays with you and I agree, he could have left you when you were in a much worse state. Aston Villa is an exciting project, shame your fans can't be there to enjoy this cracking season.

automaticflare

There is no way in hell grealish stays at villa instead of moving to united. This guy is class bug him. Simple

Eternitiy

Credit to Aston Villa. They played excellent, high-tempo, fearless attacking football. What a world of difference to the way Wolves set up to play against us.

lex talionis

Villa brought a cannon to battle and weren’t far off from taking all three points. Well done.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
We are in the title race. We are just in. For how long, we still don't know.

always_hoping

Villa fan in peace

Firstly what a fantastic game. In my view the most dangerous team we have played this season. You are certainly on the way back up. Hats off.

Its just nice for us not to be a laughing stock anymore. We fear nobody and im loving it.

On the Grealish subject, i very much doubt he will be leaving the club he loves when we are on the way up, with great football, rich owners and hopefully a top half finish. He will want to take his club further. If we fail then yes he will go and who can blame him.

Wish you well for the season. One of these days we owe you a thumping for all the years of defeats
I attended the United v Villa draw in Old Trafford last season, the quality of that match was mediocre and both sides was in poor form at the time. Tonight was the very opposite, one of the highest quality games this season between two sides in good form.

As for your final point, United still require another dozen wins to gain full revenge for that thumping you gave to the kids in 1995.

Alek M

Da manic one
While Baily did well in the game, he makes rash challenges. Like the one when he got the yellow. That is reckless and liability and can cost us if/when he gets a red. Love his toughness, but needs to have some self control and not try to win every challenge. Not sure if his decisuion making will improve.

Nice header by Martial
Best game from Pogba in a while
Rashford doesn’t like the right side
Fred was bit subdued
DDG amazing
Shaw needs to learn to defend

Shimo

Am normally very critical of Ole's use of subs but, when he brought on James for Bruno, thought it made perfect sense. Bruno was tired and we had no one in the middle pressing higher up the pitch, plus with James pace and how much they were going to have to push up, would have given us more of a threat on the break.

That said and Ole and Bruno both said it post match and I was screaming during the game, how the feck do we not know how to manage a game at the end, it's like we were the ones chasing the game versus trying to see out the lead. We don't know how to play keep ball and when we have opportunity to play into the corner or even just recycle the ball, we go for cross/pass/shot that has small percentage of coming off. I know we have for a long time worked on coming back but, very quickly, we need to learn how to close out games better. Cost us against Leicester and thankfully not today.

When game was about to kickoff, I thought we'd lost soon a I saw it was Oliver reffing. Penalty to me was stonewall but, after that he seemed like all we had to was breath in Villa player direction and he'd blow and on the other side our players would get squat. At end of first half, there were 5 or 6 seconds left when the ball went out for a corner but, he blew for half time but, then they get a throw in past the 5 minute of injury time and he lets them get it in, normally that's part of it but, not when he didn't give us the same.

Last - wish we make a real go for getting Grealish, still not a right winger but, would be better than anyone we have on the right and can also pop up elsewhere. He would really strengthen us.

Villa2000

Supports
villa
There is no way in hell grealish stays at villa instead of moving to united. This guy is class bug him. Simple
Sorry, but we are going to show some arrogance. We have not been able to for a very long time. Yes Manchester United is a huge club. But he is villa through and through. Never forced a move in the championship or the summer. He wants to lead his club as far as he can. He will stay at least 12 months. If we fail then he will leave. At the minute. No chance though.

If we fail, not 1 villa fan will stand in his way of playing at the top. I trulh believe he wants that with his club. The right investment then who knows. Maybe wishful thinking. But we are on a journey and he is leading it. He is not jumping just yet.

Gator Nate

Just realized we're the first club to record 10 wins in the Premier League this season.. which is fantastic to say we got off to a shaky start in our first few home games.. :devil:
And it needs to be shouted from the mountain tops!

Ole has built a TEAM. Best ball movement of the season, particularly in the first half.

Pogba gets my MotM. But I thought everyone did well, even McFred.

Villa might finish top 4 this year, if the can stay healthy.

RashyForPM

Crazy right ? Only stat that matters is the scorline at the end. And even then we had the better chances and were more dangerous. We have some very good passing now to play out of the back and attack quickly, even if it is not on consistent basis yet. We are also much better at breaking parked buses now. But some complain over possession.
This is a very good side who gave a game to every big clubs they played against and even beat the champions 7-2.
Lets not get carried away but we have never been in this position since SAF retired and are a very young team (youngest in the league I think ?) with a great spirit.
I am sure that we will make some good additions to be even better in the futur.
Precisely. Last night was a great performance.

Toddler

Great win. Very happy.

The game itself was a bit of an two way street. Some bad performances and then a couple of really good ones.

Pogba, Martial, Bailly great.

All of our defensive midfielders were bad tonight. Fred could not pass the ball, and had us in a tight spot many times after passing it straight to the opposition. Cant remember Mcsauce doing anything good, other than fouling Grealish. Matic I suppose was the best of best the three.

We gave villa too much of the ball at times, unnecessarily. A major reason we struggled to control the game better.

Attacking wise we look good, not the sharpest but good. Rashford had a selfish bad decision day yesterday but on a another day he would have scored.

Progress.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Villa fan in peace

Fantastic match. All the hype is on Grealish(and for good reason) but Matt Cash and McGinn are also fantastic, if you lot can get a better CB and striker, then you'll be an amazing team.

rollingstoned1

Good game. Deserved win. Their goal p*sses me off though. Too many players too worried about stopping them from playing it quick than picking up players. Both FB's were well out of position. AWB just standing around while the most dangerous player on the field is standing all by himself in an area that AWB should be marking him and Luike Shaw (who otherwise had a solid game) over in Bailley's position for some reason rather than marking his man. It was definitely an ugly goal. I thought Maguire was going to get the block but not to be. But other than that, it was a comfortable win. A couple of Hollywood saves for De Gea but other than Bailley's block at the end, I wasn't worried during this match. MOTM can be any of a number of players. I'd give it to Pogba if he wasn't such a pratt (plus that give away at the end rather than just going to the corner flag), Shaw was mostly solid, Marital had some good hold up play and finished his chance well. Rashford was mostly unplayable and did everything but score and Maguire was solid all match. But Bailley gets the nod for me for that block at the end of the match. He was solid through out but that block was the difference between 1 point and 3...
we seem to concede a lot of soft set piece goals - yday wasn't imo - which makes me think it has something to do with zonal marking. a case in point is also the goal we let in against sevilla in the el semi.

No Spring Chicken

Another positive result. That makes 8 wins and two draws from our last 10 games, with 24 goals scored during that run. That’s a really tidy bit of form, especially given that Xmas and NY is such a perilous point in the season.

Not a dominant performance by any means but you have to give villa some credit for that, they were really good on the night and look good for a top 6 challenge this season. If this had been Spurs, Chelsea or even Leicester we’d have accepted a narrow win and decent performance, but Villa are a match for those teams so far this season so the same should apply.

One pleasing thing for me these days is that if the opposition wants to play an open game of football and see who can score the most, we’ll happily oblige because we trust ourselves to score. We’ll need to be a bit more canny eventually if we’re going to win the league again, but for now I’m still appreciating not having risk averse managers trying to stifle games all the time for fear of losing.

I still think this team is a season away from reaching its peak. We’re only in a title race now because of the failures of others, if City or Liverpool were posting another 95+ point season we’d be miles behind. Equally, I think that given the failings of the teams around us, we should be looking to win it this year, the chance is certainly there. Even if we fall short, it’ll give the players a taste of the pressures to come.

Reactions: jojojo

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Really enjoyed that game, and how awesome is it to be actually competitive this year! I mean, I think we could actually do it. One game at a time though - today was massive - another huge 3 points. Pogba my man of the match - great to see him run so hard and for the first time in a long time he actually looked fully committed to the cause. If he plays with that drive until the end of the season then I'd happily wish him good luck in his next venture. Hopefully he goes with a league winner's medal!

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Great game to watch. Tempo was fantastic. Was worried to how Ole would try to contain Villa - but he was spot in and just let us play. Subs on point as well. Terrific result that will only boost confidence.

Bailly immense. I’m not the biggest fan of Pogba, but he was also class

Steve 007

What can I say? I might have to eat some humble pie on Pogba.

Great result, 8 wins and 2 draws since Arsenal is fantastic, most points, most shots on target, most goals in that time too.

We all know that Christmas is that period when all teams drop points and you get bad results, so this couldn’t have gone any better.

Bailly was just amazing, first name on that teamsheet.
Pogba I dislike him immensely but boy was he brilliant.
Rashford looked tired but dangerous.
AWB looked better going forward and as usual some great tackles, I don’t know what he was thinking on their goal though.
Shaw looked great all game.
De Gea will get a lot of confidence out this game.
Solid defence on corners.
McT and Fred ok, McT was not good enough on their goal should have closed down quicker, Fred had a decent game but did put us under pressure with the odd sloppy pass.
Bruno was great might have had a couple on another day.
Martial a nice goal and hopefully a bit of confidence.
Maguire decent game looks better with Bailly in there.

Can we win it?
my heart says yes but my head says no.

We also have to remember that liverpool have let us back in by drawing 5 of the last 9 and that they have played 1 game less than this stage last year and have 16 less points.
They also had a January disaster for a few seasons under Klopp before last season, it was a win rate of 12 in 29 during January.

lysglimt

Scout
I don't get this "joint top" business. Goal difference counts for a reason - we're second. If it was reversed and we had the better goal difference we'd be mocking the scousers.

That being said, it's great to see the team togetherness and I really believe we're building something here. Do I think we'll win the title? Probably not, but I obviously hope so. Importantly, we're opening a gap to the other top four contenders (especially Chelsea with their media darling manager).

The penalty - it was a penalty, no doubt. People saying he tripped himself up - he did, but he wouldn't have done that if the defender hadn't brushed his leg, it was more calf on calf causing the trip, rather than a tackle of sorts.
Joint top is not the correct way to put it I agree - but at this stage of the season goal difference hardly matters, and it's a bit easier than to write "equal with Liverpool on points but behind on goal difference" - so it's practical even if incorrect.

The penalty - I feel a bit sorry for Luis - he just gets too close to Pogba without really trying to do something wrong - so when Pogba raises his foot, he hits Luis' leg and afterwards trips in his own leg. But the question from the pundits was raised - what would have happened if Oliver didn't blow the whistle, would VAR have asked Oliver to look at it ?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Ole has built a TEAM.
This is the best thing for me at present. Being joint top is good but only a temporary thing unless we keep getting results but seeing an actual team out there each week, regardless of the results, is a great thing and was something we’ve missed for a long time. Well done Ole.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Didn't see the game, its on though. Lets see this lot hold firm and win something. I'm all in.

Joint top is not the correct way to put it I agree - but at this stage of the season goal difference hardly matters, and it's a bit easier than to write "equal with Liverpool on points but behind on goal difference" - so it's practical even if incorrect.

The penalty - I feel a bit sorry for Luis - he just gets too close to Pogba without really trying to do something wrong - so when Pogba raises his foot, he hits Luis' leg and afterwards trips in his own leg. But the question from the pundits was raised - what would have happened if Oliver didn't blow the whistle, would VAR have asked Oliver to look at it ?
no. I don’t think so.

if it wasn’t given, was it a clear and obvious mistake? Not in my opinion.

but this is actually the way VAR should work.

Whether it was a penalty or not has an element of opinion/ context/ experience from the ref - and so the ref is right, whether he gives it or not - as it can be argued either way.

would seeing a replay have changed his mind, in this instance it shouldn’t do, he hasn’t missed anything.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Serious? I think we played very well. Excellent game.
It was too chaotic for my tastes. They had a lot of chances and we were at risk with the defenders getting booked.

It's certainly not the sort of performance that makes me think we can be consistent yet!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm quite surprised to see the amount of people that are saying we didn't play well last night, but also heartened by the amount of people that recognised that we did. I thought it was a perfect example of how far this team have progressed.

First things first, Villa are an impressive side. Full of lively players and with no small amount of grit. Felt like a genuine top 4 contender that we beat last night. I watched their game against Chelsea the other day too and we created a lot more opportunities than they did, and we have a Villa fan here saying that United were the most dangerous side they've faced. We need to recognise that, and not have unrealistic expectations. You dont have to have 85 minutes of possession and win 4-0 to have played well.

Notable mentions to Pogba (I can get behind this version of him 100%), Bailly, Maguire, AWB & Shaw. All very good performances. De Gea too actually.

What gets me most excited about this team is that we still have another 20% in there. Another couple of gears. Belief is growing, and we rarely look like losing these days. Obviously the Liverpool game is an opportunity to get out in front, but even if we lose i can see us going on another 10 game run afterwards.

Strap yourselves in guys. This is going to be a nail-biting season.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I have always been quick to blame Ole when things have gone wrong. So it is only right that I recognise and congratulate him when things are going well.
Keep up the good work Ole. Who knows what we can achieve.

wolvored

I think we might get one or two games like today, especially the Liverpool game. That will be the ultimate test. Do we go toe to toe like today, or retreat and hope to hit them occasionally on the counter? Thats the big question. We definitely need to replace 2 players if this challenging is going to become regular. Fred and McTom replaced with a very good DM will free space for another midfielder who can attack the oppositions box competantly. VDB will probably get Pogbas slot.

Jonno

More shots
More shots on target
More goals
Better Chances

If that’s us “not playing well” whilst beating a very good side, things bode very well for the rest of the season!

Jeffthered

Great 3 pts against a team with quality throughout. Grealish frightened me to death everytime he was on the ball. Fred makes me nervous. Not convincing but a win just the same.
Good win, but let's slow down a bit here...Villa do not have quality throughout. Their forwards are extremely average. How can you watch their forwards and say they are quality?

They miss Barkley, he takes the pressure off Grealish. But they need forwards who score goals. So do we in fact. Cavani has more Prem goals than Martial for example. Think about that.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Pogba, Shaw and Bailly looked tremendous. Incredible performances and much needed. Scott looked a bit lost and Fred did well to cover for him.

Martial and Rashford look wasteful but the latter needs a rest and needs to be subbed in games, getting a bit silly.

Said it before but buy Grealish today. Just pump them £80m and Jack will kick up a fuss that he can't move on, deal done.

James Peril

Pogba, Shaw and Bailly looked tremendous. Incredible performances and much needed. Scott looked a bit lost and Fred did well to cover for him.

Martial and Rashford look wasteful but the latter needs a rest and needs to be subbed in games, getting a bit silly.

Said it before but buy Grealish today. Just pump them £80m and Jack will kick up a fuss that he can't move on, deal done.
You think the club that paid 80M for Harry Maguire (true value 40M?) will get the land’s most exciting, attacking talent for 80M a few years later? Actions have consequences, for a long time, there is a 0% chance of United getting Grealish for 80M. Villa are richer than United, at least on the owner side, they don’t need the cash.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It’s your words. Try again when they are in the lower end of the table! Right now it only sounds stupid.

They have several strings to play in offensively.
Grealish, who you mentioned, is off course a very good player, but they have other players with a lot of quality as well, ex Traore.
If you think they're a great team, you should go and check the history of the PL to see what truly great teams look like.

You used words like: quality and good, which sums them up but 'great' I don't think so

dal

Pogba had a great game but we replace Pogba with grealish clone here and we probably win 4-1.

Ole on his post match comments referred to Hollywood balls when we could have played it through them with the spaces in the pitch and that was definitely Pogba. He did it quite a few times but still he had a good game.

Ive been watching Grealish for 5 years and every year he has got better but now he’s just ridiculous. He’s got that Fk you attitude, you just know nothing phases him, he’s born to play for us.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
You think the club that paid 80M for Harry Maguire (true value 40M?) will get the land’s most exciting, attacking talent for 80M a few years later? Actions have consequences, for a long time, there is a 0% chance of United getting Grealish for 80M. Villa are richer than United, at least on the owner side, they don’t need the cash.
Covid economic impact

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Pogba had a great game but we replace Pogba with grealish clone here and we probably win 4-1.

Ole on his post match comments referred to Hollywood balls when we could have played it through them with the spaces in the pitch and that was definitely Pogba. He did it quite a few times but still he had a good game.

Ive been watching Grealish for 5 years and every year he has got better but now he’s just ridiculous. He’s got that Fk you attitude, you just know nothing phases him, he’s born to play for us.
:lol:

Pogba clone? :lol:

Danillaco

And booted again right after. Bailly is a fecking beast. If he can stay injury free we completely transform. Look how high we are playing, he going from the back, Maguire picking some sweet passes.

It's amazing to see after such a bumpy road.

Man of the Match

Eric Bailly image Eric Bailly 52% of 428 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw