PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sat, 25 September 2021

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Does look like the players are starting to lose some belief in him.

IRELANDUNITED

“We’ll you know, up until the 88th minute it looked like we were going to get a clean sheet - that’s a positive”

Nick7

Here's the thing. This is pretty much our usual performance level. On another day, one of the shots go in or Greenwood takes a chance or one of those not-quite-perfect passes fall perfectly into someone's path.

But that's the issue. That way, way too many of our games are decided by the finest of margins. We cannot consistently impose ourselves on opponents so it's almost always a scrappy battle if we can't run riot on the break.

Villa deserved the win, overall. Not sure why Bruno didn't take the penalty in his usual way.
yeah that's the thing. this is how we play football, which in my mind is far more damning than a draw or a loss.

Denis79

It's not that we lost, it's how we lost. Terrible football. Squad is no excuse, it's fantastic. We have fans in the stadium again, so that excuse doesn't work either. Time to look at the manager cause this was dogshit.

Viral United

If you can't shoot on target, this will going to happen.
I think Ole need to go now, but that was very abject performance from our forward.

Superden

even though we had far more 'chances', the difference was quite stark in how one team seemed to have put some thought into their play, with routines in open play clearly off the training pitch, and it wasnt us. Greenwood running around with the ball on his own up front trying to fashion a shot, again and again, and again, summed it up really.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Ole totally deserve this and really hope someone make the decision for him to go. Ole won't stop down, it is his dream job. All team knows how Utd plays, week in week out. McTominay and Fred protecting the back. Greenwood on the left will always want to score with his left. AWB doesn't put in a early cross. Pogba doesn't take on defenders. As long as team stay compact, there is always a chance to score for the counter and set pieces. Not rocket science to play Utd. Just get it over with and sack Ole. He isn't the man, he stabilise the team but that's all. We can sign 10 best players in the world, we will still this way under Ole.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I can't think of a single positive. Greenwood maybe, but his end product was not at his usual level. De Gea was decent too I suppose.

But the passing was shocking. Throw ins were infuriating, we lost possession from them just about every single time we won a throw. You might as well just let the opposition take it. If we did manage to keep the ball on the ground, our passing was just comedy.

Villa first to every second ball. Even when Fred, AWB or McT were first to a second ball, it just ricochets off them like a pinball machine. Shocking technique.

Didn't deserve a draw, and probably the best penalty taker in the world blazing it out of the ground and into the canal just summed it up.

Superunknown

I look at our squad and I have no doubt in my mind that we are underperforming. Players on an individual level are underperforming, but they are being allowed to underperform and underdeliver due to the staff. Today's game is a testament to that. We started off alright, but we were so poor in that second half. We can't play well consistently over two halves and we don't seem to have that killer instinct instilled in us to finish teams off. We could and should have got a couple of goals in that first half, and that would have taken the pressure off us, instead of inviting it on ourselves.

Bertie Wooster

So glad we threw a knockout cup game for that! Just think how many we'd have lost by, and how many injuries we'd have picked up, if we hadn't thrown the chance of a trophy! :rolleyes:

Truly awful week. Two very winnable home games lost without a goal scored. Add in the Young Boys defeat and it's been an awful couple of weeks. The momentum of Ronaldo's signing, and that debut atmosphere v Newcastle, has been thrown away.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Draw would've been fair, but we're such a shit show of a team. One of those things you know won't be fixed until we get a new manager tbh. Ole is fine for top 4 but that's his limit. So many players not playing to their potential and just trying pure individualism to make chances, leading to constant mistakes.

I know Bruno has a great record with pens, but that just felt like a time for Ronaldo to take it. Horrible from Bruno (after I thought he had a pretty decent game tbh), but it'll be Ronaldo from now on surely.

Knacks

Not the right manager. Nostalgic appointment. We will never win major tournaments with OLE in charge. FACT

Lentwood

I have been a big champion of the work Ole has done at United, and I can't really comment on the performance today as I didn't see the game.

However, the question now remains, can Ole take a team of good players and get them performing like a dominant side? We rode our luck against Wolves, we dropped points against Southampton and now we've dropped 3pts at OT to a midtable team.

If Ole can't start to set the team up in such a way that we control games then we'll need to look at other options. Losing games is fine, it happens, but we can't afford these end-to-end "you have a chance, we have a chance" games against middling opposition because invariably we will get caught out.

always_hoping

A stupid and very annoying loss. 55 shots on goal the last two games and no goals.

The penalty over the bar in injury time summed up United afternoon. Only goal from a poorly defended set piece no improvement on last season there and a defeat that has come at a cost with both Shaw and Maguire going off injured.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Another very poor display. Ole just can't get us to play to our potential. Dominated at home against Villa is not acceptable. So far this season we had one good performance

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Depressing in every way. No point having Ronaldo if you don't create anything.

4th looks to be our ceiling.

Bruno missing a pen just completes a miserable day. He won't be on the next one.

eire-red

Villa came with a gameplan, and largely deserved to win. That hurts more than the result.

For the first 20 mins of the second half, we couldn't get out of that right corner.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Now that was a team of individuals. Greenwood passes to nobody. Ronaldo passes to nobody. Pogba has been turd since Ronaldo came. Having to send Ronaldo away for the penalty. We were supposed to build a team - that isn’t what it looks like at the moment. The first 15 minutes of the second half is the worst performance I’ve ever witnessed from a supposed “top team.” It was a total shambles.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Guys, why so negative? That was no ordinary club. Tyrone Mings is an international and their keeper won a cup. They were amazing and we have done so well to only lose 1-0. Its by the grace of our management that we were blessed with only a one nil loss, otherwise we'd be 5-0 down.

Things are definitely improving. Just give it more time. We just need to keep confidence high and it doesn't matter if we win or not. The players are all happy and nobody is fighting.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Mega disappointed. We were second best from the start, rarely won a second ball and got out battled.

Our midfield was bullied by McGinn who never stopped running, whereas we were to busy trying to play a Hollywood pass or a clever flick.

Greenwood aside, I thought we were poor in every position, so slow and lethargic, poor passing and no movement.

I hope we make some big changes for the next game.

MrBest

3 more years of this guy, he will keep telling us the same rubbish - ups and down, high press, the man utd way. Shame there is little substance after 500m spent

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
In one word: appalling.

Using a few more: we've bought lots of players, spent lots of money. the one continuing factor: coach/manager. None are good enough for Manchester United and I've been saying this for three years. If the board are too weak or blind to see it, they should go too

Leanshig

fecking abysmal. 3 defeats in 4, against teams we should be beating and ole repeating the same mistakes over and over again. I've been ole in all the way but after today..........
And were it not for de Gea it would've been 3 losses and a draw.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Well that performance just sucked. For me it was all about decision making and everyone one on the pitch made a number of poor decisions.

- Maguire's pass to DDG
- Trying to shoot when a defender has you blocked
- Trying to pass when a defender has you blocked
- Trying a complicated pass when a simple would do
- Bruno, after a tough spell, tries a prayerful long pass when possession was critical
- Greenwood shooting instead of passing (Ronaldo is not going to be happy with him)

What's strange is the first 15 were very good and I thought we were going to win easily and then it all just fell apart. For the first time I'm starting to doubt Ole a bit.

Aston Villa has a better midfield than we do and that's pretty sad. For that matter, I would bet at least 10 teams in the PL have a better midfield. I don't know how you win anything with an average midfield.

mav_9me

Cant defend that one today. Awful from everybody involved. We didn't know how to deal with Villa's movement. Deserved defeat
The problem is this was coming. Our performances are not that different this season, results yes. So sooner or later the results match the performances. If your aim is to compete for titles, the least you can do is play well and control the game. That's basic stuff we dont do. So this was bound to happen. More of this in the coming days, mark my words. We wont get out of our CL group. Hope I am wrong.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Actually two things are true at once.

Solskjaer isn't going to win the league.

However, neither are a few of these players and they're certainly not as good as some people like to think they are.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The problem with your whole game plan being “just go out and want it more” is if the other team want it more, you’re basically fecked. Probably need some tactics in there at some point

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
3 more years of this guy, he will keep telling us the same rubbish - ups and down, high press, the man utd way. Shame there is little substance after 500m spent
we get told he understands the club's DNA - spin and PR bollox

Siorac

So glad we threw a knockout cup game for that! Just think how many we'd have lost by, and how many injuries we'd have picked up, if we hadn't thrown the chance of a trophy! :rolleyes:
If anything, this match proves we didn't throw the cup away. There's every chance the first team would have been just as toothless on Wednesday as today. It's far more than a simple issue of personnel.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 276 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Aston Villa
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa