FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 1:0 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Mon, 10 January 2022

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I'm confused. I thought we were really shit because of Ronaldo..?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
That's 2 hours of your life you're not getting back. Rangnick needs to turn this around quick, this is some of the worst stuff I've seen us play in a long, long time.
It's not going to improve, if anything it will get much more worse!

Houdini

I am not a Rashford hater but he needs to be benched for his own good.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I can't get my head round how shite we are. It is almost funny.

Wilt

Awful performance …Villa will be very confident at their place

RedIan

A victory but did not enjoy it. We were painfully crap for two thirds of the game.. villa over ran our midfield again exactly as wolves did.
far to many mistakes and passes to the opposition. Confidence is shot to pieces. varane decent, Lindelof mistakes all over the place.
Good assist from Fred for the goal but he continues to give the balls way.. Bruno getting flack but he works his socks off and had he scored he would have been motm not McT.
Rashford is in Such poor form… play Elanga.

Elanga looked our best player when we came on..

Rex Banner

We were absolute shite. Very lucky to go through to the next round.

Rashford doesn't look right at all. It isn't just him tbf but everything about him tonight just wasn't right. The performance, the body language, just the overall effort. Doesn't look happy at all. Even worse considering his post on Twitter before the game.

Pickle85

How are we so bad at keeping the ball. Villa also allowed to waltz through our midfield far too comfortable at times. Rashford was poor, Bruno was poor

talking robot

Our midfield two is really poor. We desperately need to buy a ball controlling DM in the January window if we want to get anything out of the season. I don't know what Rashford's issue is, but he should not be in the team. Honestly I'm not sure he should even be coming off the bench. Lindelof looked poor tonight as well. Varane, Shaw, Elanga, and Dalot were decent I thought. Donny did ok too when he came on. He won a few balls in dangerous positions high up the pitch.

Halftrack

A Norwegian news site has a poll on whether it was correct of the ref to disallow the Villa goal, and so far 60% have chosen the "Cavani ran into Ramsey" option, which I find funny because it's clear as fecking day that Ramsey primary objective was to stand in Cavani's way.

Alemar

Main positives were performances of de Gea and Varane. Shaw was very good in the first half, but not good in the second, as well as McTominay. Others were just poor, but the worst with quite a margin was Rashford’s second half. It’s his all time worst or thereabouts

Roosney

That second half was painful to watch. VdB and Elanga made us look a bit more better after coming on, Varane did well too.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think United were much more positive the first 15 minutes and controlled the game.

Then it was more of the same sadly. Sloppy, silly mistakes, inviting pressure and failing to maintain control in the middle of the park.

MrBest

Awful, terrible and i can go on. However, we are through, we play Middlesbrough next in Feb, we should win. I'm worried for Saturday, Villa going to do us at Villa Park unless something changes massively. How does the same 11 keep starting, i just don't get it anymore. Where was Jones? Lindeloff was terrible. Why did Rashford play so long if Elanga was on the bench? Every single starting player was below standard for me, a shake up is needed with this lot.

Telsim

We robbed them. Half-decent first half, awful second half. I don't understand how can this team be this bad? Something is very, very wrong.

Jack-C20

What mental gymnastics go on in pundits heads? The goal shouldn’t have been disallowed because there’s no guarantee Cavani was reaching it, but a striker can knock it past as player with no chance of reaching it, and then get taken out but that’s a penalty? A player impeding another is surely the same regardless of what might or might not happen afterwards. There’s so many contradictions in football and it does my head in.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I feel sorry for Rashford. He looks as though he has all the worries of the world on his shoulders. He isn't enjoying himself. I wonder if is struggling mentally. that isn't good for a young bloke. I think greenwood needs to be playing off the shoulder of a centre forward, wasted on the right wing. I thought we had bought Sancho to be a right winger; Elanga on the left until Rash sorts his head out. I think a lot of what is going wrong for us is that Bruno hasnt reached the same heights as when he first joined

Schnappo

First half was okay - second half was largely dreadful. Lacked composure for much of the second half when Villa started dominating the ball. It's utterly infuriating when it's clear we need to get hold of the ball to take the sting out of the game yet we just hoof it down the wings for Marcus or Mason to chase and ultimately end up losing the ball and it comes straight back at us.

Alan Shearer moaning about VAR being used :lol:

Cheer up you sad Geordie bastard.
Yeah what the hell was that about? Moaning about Hull getting dumped out of the cup because they were on the end of a couple of bad decisions because they didn't have VAR.....and then criticises VAR being used in this game. :houllier:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I used to wonder why I'm watching every single game after another awful performances. Nowadays I know it will happen and literally have the same thought before the game and I'm not proven wrong.

This is going to be a long season and somewhat reminds me of that awful group of Chelsea players who sacked Mounrinho, won the league with Conte and then sacked him as well.

It seems we need to start another cultural reset, if one was ever in progress.

redom

First half was somewhat positive, we at least took better care with the ball and it looked like there may be things to build on but the second half was back to recent form and we looked lost.

One thing that really annoyed me tonight was how easy it was to get past our players, the man carrying the ball only had to do the most simple drop of the shoulder or even just a little burst of pace and they ghosted past our players, it was so frustrating to watch us just make token attempts to pressure/win the ball.

Rashford looks like he needs time off to get his head right, doesn't seem in the right frame of mind and I don't know what it's going to take to change it but he needs to work on it.

If we'd replicated the first half performance in the second half I'd be looking at green shoots of recovery but as it stands I just don't know. Maybe we need to send the lads away on one of those team building courses or something because I think the mentality of this team is one of the biggest weaknesses right now.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
What mental gymnastics go on in pundits heads? The goal shouldn’t have been disallowed because there’s no guarantee Cavani was reaching it, but a striker can knock it past as player with no chance of reaching it, and then get taken out but that’s a penalty? A player impeding another is surely the same regardless of what might or might not happen afterwards. There’s so many contradictions in football and it does my head in.
Actually I thought Ings was in an offside position from watkins tap.

Bobski

Stop with the 2 strikers nonsense, get another midfielder in there. Bruno either has to play deeper, or sigh, Donny gets a game or 2 to show how average he is.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It wasn’t as bad as some of our recent performances. Then again, I don’t think that really means much. We were just slightly less poor. But nonetheless, a win is a win in the cup and on we go.

always_hoping

Both VAR decisions to disallow the Villa goals was correct yet on BBC Shearer and Lineker complaining about using VAR in the FA Cup

Someone

Something
Terrible performance. The players worked harder than the last game, but their output was awful most of the game.

Rashford and Greenwood, both were selfish and had terrible end product. Rashford worked hard but I have no idea where his talent went.

We won't beat this lot on Saturday with this kind of performance.

minoo-utd

What we can say? The state of mind of these players is unbelievable. Such young players and they look like they won everything and not hungry anymore.
Hopefully don’t see Rashford for sometime and also Greenwood.
I think DDG and some decisions by the ref saved us. Play like this again on the weekend and they will

The One and Only

It's 3.30am here and i feel deflated. Honestly, can't wait for the season to end. Every time i promise myself i won't watch this rubbish again....yet somehow i can't stay away.

RuudTom83

You cant just tell the lads to not be shit! it's going to take a lot of time and effort, so for the rest of the season it going to be a hard watch.

But tonight was a Win and those are so hard to come by, so lets enjoy getting through to Round 4.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Massive issue with Rashford, looks like he wants to leave. Thought he'd be better post surgery but is horrific.
Like a few words on the Internet weren't going to be enough to get him looking like a player again…. Been awful for way too long to be able to switch it on and off. We aren’t winning anything with Rashford and Greenwood playing out wide for us. There’s just no creativity there. No work rate. Get a shot off or pass backwards.

Djemba-Djemba

We're absolutely fecking shit.

There is something deep rooted at the club that is broken, good players come here and turn to shit. Managers look utterly clueless and useless.

They look a miserable sloppy rabble, and we're on course for the worst season yet post Fergie.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 289 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa
  • 12% Man Utd 1:2 Aston Villa