FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 1:0 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Mon, 10 January 2022

Rex Banner

Just remembered we've got Villa again at the weekend, ugh. Sure they'll be well up for it after this. Not sure if we will be.

suheilsworld

Psychologically important to get through to the next round. Hoping we can string some run of results , even if it’s 1-0s
Thank feck Mcginn is suspended for the pl tie, can’t stand him and Martinez

Gordon S

I get the feeling our players are actually trying to press but there is still constantly acres of space for the oppos to play in. Magic trick?!

Another magic trick is spending truckloads of cash on a squad and still have no better options in cm than Scott and Fred.

No confidence at all in our squad. Some of the mistakes from our players makes even me blush.

Better from Marcus but it still looks like he just left a funeral.

Mason had a few good moments but his finishing has just turned to absolute garbage.

This can not continue for much longer right?

honirelandboy

Bruno actually looked like crying when getting taken off and Rashford was sulking. They think there better than they are.
I think that has to be Cavani's last game for United, he can barely control or pass the ball anymore. He's 35 next month and should go out with his head held high now.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Still scared to play real football. Villa were shite and of course United made them look like cracking attacking team.

Unreal how these players are one of top earners of football Europe.

minoo-utd

We will not finish in top six and we might play in conference league as well.
Is this our worst version ever post SAF?

Valley Blue

Supports
Manchester City
Both VAR decisions to disallow the Villa goals was correct yet on BBC Shearer and Lineker complaining about using VAR in the FA Cup
Do you not agree that Var in some ties but not in others, ruins the integrity of the competition? They have a point tbf...

Chairman Steve

I don’t know why the officials were checking for an offside or a handball, when they missed the fecking blatant bodycheck which I called immediately as blatant a foul as you’ll see.

ShinjiNinja26

Glad we’re through and beat Slippy but that was fecking terrible yet again from Utd. The clubs rotten to the core, it’s gonna take a while to fix this mess.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Looked like it might be one of those nights where it all comes together in the first 15. They looked focused & lively, and got the early goal. Then Villa just slowly started to take control leading up to 25 minutes after HT when we were on the rack. Then it was about getting a result however it came.

People are going to pile on Rashford and it's not something I can disagree with, but I hope he finds some way to get his sparkle back because he isn't enjoying his football. More evidence tonight that he and Greenwood dont see eye to eye (IMO) and that's a problem.

Varane was very good. McT again very good. De Gea is always good. Beyond that not much to be confident about. I'm still not seeing any real positive signs that something is going to click anytime soon, but wins are the only way we'll get there so let's take that for what it is

United Irishman

Another joke of a performance. The players aren’t very good. The manager(s) isn’t very good. This has been the case for nearly 10 years. Which makes the board the most incompetent in elite football. The lack of ability on the pitch despite the money spent beggars belief.

Zlatattack

We won, but we were terrible.
  • General lack of intensity, apart from a few. Rashford was dreadful in the second half. Even towards the end of the first half.
  • We don't build up passes, unless we're passing sideways or backwards, i don't think we can string together more than 3 passes.
  • Generally the team was sloppy in posession.
  • We don't build up attacks, the ball gets pushed out wide, they're scared of it in the middle, nobody is in space to get it, when a player looks up 9/10 times the free players are static unless we're on the break.
  • We looked considerably better with 3 midfielders. Need to consider 433, rather than 4222.

Thiagoal

I feel like I have watched this performance in pretty much every home game this season! Can’t pass the ball five yards to a team mate, opposition running straight through us, conceding loads of chances, horrendous decision making! No one seems to know how to fix it.

Irwin99

Not looking forward to playing these again next week :nervous: Happy with the result and the disallowed goal was funny. So so so much space for oppo teams to work their way into whenever we play anyone, specifically in behind the midfield. Can't believe it sometimes.

57% possession for Villa too, at OT

caid

There were baby steps in the right direction. Few individual strong moments.

bushyzor

Wasn’t great on the whole.
A lot of their dominance in midfield in the second half, as well as their chances, was because of Rashfords lack of tracking Cash (right back). As a result Fred was having to come across to cover Rashfords man which left McT on his own in midfield. Rashford is clearly not 100% fit to play 90 mins and I think he should have been subbed sooner.
I thought Verane had a great game.
Still a lot of work to be done in possession as we gave the ball away far too much. But this should improve with time and coaching.
Keep building on this and we will get our confidence back!
Happy with the win!

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Tight between DDG and Varane for my MotM. Both (and Shaw) are like flowers in a sea of cow dung.

yamo123x

When are we going to play well again, ?

Its like a bad dream, being outplayed home and away game after game.

The players just aren't good enough

MinGin

Another really worrying performance. Outplayed once again. In fact, since Ralf has come in, bar 30 mins vs Palace, we have been outplayed in every single match. If we thought Ole was stubborn with his tactics, then Ralf is even worse. The 4-2-2-2, is just not working and is easy to get through us, with ease. Villa again next and that’s a huge worry.
Maybe this is some high level tactic that our players cannot manage of.
There is no that skill set of most players in our team to play a pressing system like other team nowadays.

BSSM

Have to look at the bigger picture. We have been totally dominated at home by wolves and villa. The performance on show from the players has been terrible. We have at home against these two teams scored one goal and could have easily conceded 5 or 6. We have serious problems at the club and if this continues forget top 4 mid table will be a struggle.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Man we are shite.
Glad we won though.
The thought of sloppy knocking us out of the cup would be too much.
We know the players are much better than this .
They have to be.

minoo-utd

Why we can’t play football? And any average team look like world beaters agains us!
Was these players too spoiled under Ole?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We are in dire trouble. Villa looked like a guardiola side and we looked like ole or mourinho was in charge.

We dont have the technical ability to see a pass and also execute it.

The club is rotten. Years of mismanagement.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Better from Marcus but it still looks like he just left a funeral.

Mason had a few good moments but his finishing has just turned to absolute garbage.

This can not continue for much longer right?
Better than what?

He's been bang awful for a bit and that was worse. The lack of apparent effort was appalling for a pro footballer.. and his teammates would see that and his sulky reactions.

No idea how he started, no idea how not subbed sooner.

I've seen tonnes of talented United players and quite a few average ones (your Grimes', your Gidmans', etc).. they all ran their socks off, the latter to make the most of what they had. Basics.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm sick of opposition fans coming to Old Trafford and having the time of their life. The performance was pretty abysmal again and United are lucky to have won.

However, into the next round and a favourable draw for once. And seeing Gerrard losing in Old Trafford again is enough to help me sleep soundly tonight.

Matt851

Bruno actually looked like crying when getting taken off and Rashford was sulking. They think there better than they are.
I think that has to be Cavani's last game for United, he can barely control or pass the ball anymore. He's 35 next month and should go out with his head held high now.
To be fair to cavani, any striker would struggle with the service today

Chairman Steve

At least we got a non-Premier League side tie for the first time in what feels like fecking forever.

RedDevil@84

I love how Rashford PR team put out a long letter only to have him play worser. Words are easy. Especially the ones that somebody else types out for you.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 289 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa
  • 12% Man Utd 1:2 Aston Villa