FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 1:0 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Mon, 10 January 2022

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Unlike most of this season, a result that didn't match the performance.

MrBest

How does Van de Beek not play more? We looked much better the minute he came on. Rashford on the other hand needs benching for the next two months.
Glad someone noticed, just because he didnt dribble from de gea to konsa, he is deemed anonymous.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
feck off Stevie Me.

We were desperately poor for large parts of that. Great goal, then we clung on playing like strangers. There is something rotten in this dressing room, strained relations between players and no smiles on any faces. Lingard went over to cheer with Scott at full time and he didn't want to know, they all have the weight of the world on their shoulders win, lose or draw.

Still a win's a win, and did I mention feck off Stevie Me?

Denis79

Something is really wrong with Rashford, it doesn't even seem like he wants to play, hell that he even likes football.

Giggsy’s left foot

Happy with the win, however some very poor performances. Rashford and Greenwood looked like they were in the huff. Elanga only player who beat a man in the whole game.

Oranges038

Lucky.

That game was a load of shite.

Need a whole new midfield, Fred is crap, McT just hides from the ball, Bruno just flicks it away all the time.

Need some players in there that can pass and move and play the ball more than 5 yards for a start.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Rashford had decent intensity in the first half but it went to shite. The real problem with this team is that Rashford and Greenwood are pathetic at tracking back and helping out and initiating counters. They leave their full back alone to be doubled up on and beaten for fun. They aren’t good enough attackers to get away with that. It’s a criminal lack of intensity. The rest of the team is wide open 1 v 1 and 2 v 1 because of it

MinGin

If Greenwood and Rashford are not that individualism, we should score more...
The defend is still poor and the team is still not press well when needed.
But who knows, it's a cup game.

littlepeasoup

Best part about tonight was United clearly living in Alan Shearer’s head rent free.
He’s really going to be insufferable when Newcastle start doubling down real money isn’t he?

Smores

Everyone thought we'd lose, we won.

Still a good few concerns. Strange as apparently without Ronaldo i thought we didn't have any concerns.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
We're playing like sunday leaguers after a skinful, all whilst Villa pinged it around, one touch and flicks. There is no joy watching us, even when we win.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Better than the previous game. But largely dogshit.

Jacob

Here's a thought; maybe this is our level considering the quality we have at hand.

Name one player in their prime that's in our strongest XI.

Blood Mage

We can't win midfield battles which means every game is going to be a coin toss for us until we sign better midfielders. Painful to watch as usual with Rashford and Bruno the worst players on the pitch again, but we defended well at least.

siw2007

Fortunate win my United. Villa were really good but we made it much harder on ourselves with our sloppy play on the ball and handing them too many turnovers. It looked really tight until the 70th minute when Ralf changed the shape of the team and we managed to control the game from there. There weren’t too many good displays out there, Varane was good in the main I think as was Shaw, shout out to Elanga who looked bright when he came on.

Villa could have really dealt a lot of damage tonight and with them looking that lively, I am glad that we don’t have to play them again soon……oh wait.

Giggs' right foot

Once again - United showing the appeal and charm of a rotting, roadkilled badger.
Theatre of fecking Cluelessness.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Clean sheet and through to the next round. Other than that, utter rubbish from so many of our players.

eire-red

That's 2 hours of your life you're not getting back. Rangnick needs to turn this around quick, this is some of the worst stuff I've seen us play in a long, long time.

oreon

How does Van de Beek not play more? We looked much better the minute he came on. Rashford on the other hand needs benching for the next two months.
VDB didn't do squat. It was just having that extra body in midfield to plug in all the space we were leaving Villa to run too.
UTD need badly to get a defensive midfielder. It's a must, it can't wait till the summer. No matter what formation we try that midfield will always be a liability

PeteManic

Worst United team since Fergie left.

All the players hate Greenwood. Rashford looks like he doesn't want to be there. Donny is shit. Apart from being told to leave by RM and the money, why did Varane come? Awful, awful team.

Houdini

Lucky win to be honest.

positives:
1. win is a win
2. Elanga
3. DDG still on form
4. Varane is back
5. Clean sheet
6. Stevie's face

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
DDG MOTM

Thought defence ok (few blips but ok). Fred mixed but assist, McT scores. Not all doom and gloom despite some periods of grim football.

Don't give a toss about disallowed goals, that's not luck that's laws. Feck off Villa

Rashford awful. I get people say his off-field stuff isn't the issue but he's running out of reasons to play that bad with that amount of disenchantment.

Loved Elangas effort. Exactly what a footballer should do.. as a bare minimum.

And this has reminded me why j hate our games on BBC.

Piss off BBC, Villa, Gerrard.. we're through

Rustyspider13

Decent first half, terrible second half, great result, feck off Gerrard.

The cheap giveaways every match does my head in. It seems like we train in isolation as players don't know where their teammates are without looking at them for 2 seconds. While McFred weren't terrible this game, really hope we get some sort of midfield reinforcement, just for someone more assured on the ball. Shoutout to Elanga, had a good few minutes. Ronaldo will probably come in for Cavani next game, Sancho for Rashford would be the other change I'd make to this team.

Ollie Derbyshire

Looked absolutely gassed after 60mins, should have made earlier substitutions cause Cavani, Rashford and Bruno didn’t offer much past that.

Rashford and Greenwood need to get their heads up earlier when in possession and stop trying to curl it in every time. Try a one two or something jeez. We could have had 2/3 more with some thought made to passing instead of being greedy as usual.

Paul_Scholes18

Here's a thought; maybe this is our level considering the quality we have at hand.

Name one player in their prime that's in our strongest XI.
We ended second last year and added 3 good players.

Ole was maybe doing a better job last year than giving credit for, but all did decline this year.

Maybe it is Ronaldo being a destructive force mentally for the squad?

IhabX7

We somehow managed to win, but this is the worst we’ve been in a very very long time. I hope Rangnick tries something different soon or else the season is an absolute waste of energy.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Best part about tonight was United clearly living in Alan Shearer’s head rent free.
He’s really going to be insufferable when Newcastle start doubling down real money isn’t he?
He'll be the first to defend the regime because even though they stone gay people, they bought Zlatan to Newcastle.

lsd

The Oracle
Another couple hours I'll never get back. Sooner they ban football the better. We already seem to have banned playing it

MonkeysMagic

I know some will laud the win and positives and all that but Villa are poor at taking their chances or it wouldve been a 2/3 goal loss.

Absolutely horrific passing, truly nonleague level. Terrible attacking and defending from us. These players are in no way playing for the manager and if anyone is convinced otherwise, I'd like them to point to the evidence. Elanga showed more effort in 5 min then the rest of players in 85. The season is done, we are going nowhere.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 289 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa
  • 12% Man Utd 1:2 Aston Villa