FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 1:0 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Mon, 10 January 2022

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I couldn't give McTominay my man of the match on account of Aston Villa finding it so easy to play through our midfield.

BestRed

Far from a great performance, but better than a lot are making out.
Played some decent stuff in the 1st half with improved passing & pressing, apart from a 10 minute spell for Villa from the 25th minute on.
Second half we dropped way off from the start inviting them on to us, but slight improvements overall.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Do any of our players actually want to play football?

They look like they're being punished.

90 + 5min

There is something wrong in the air. I don't know but our attacking game is way off. Rashford and Greenwood are to far from penalty box leaving to much space to cover for Fernandes and today Cavani. If I was at the club as manager I would get Rashford in the office and ask him what the problem is. I don't think he is there at all in his mind. He is somewhere else.

Wing Attack Plan R

I always enjoy Shaw's shithousery. He steamrolled a couple Villa players, went through a couple more, and wouldn't give the ball back once and shoved the Villa player who wanted it. Good stuff. I don't doubt Shaw's commitment or skill. If there are dressing room squabbles, I'd think he was not part of it, or at least not causing the disruption. He'd be the one telling them to STFU and get on with their jobs.

Bobski

Villa's reaction at the end was telling, they were annoyed more than upset because they knew they had wasted a great chance to hose us.

There is just not enough workrate in the team even before we talk about quality, we can't match other teams intensity, too many players are cheating their teammates.

SirScholes

Far from a great performance, but better than a lot are making out.
Played some decent stuff in the 1st half with improved passing & pressing, apart from a 10 minute spell for Villa from the 25th minute on.
Second half we dropped way off from the start inviting them on to us, but slight improvements overall.
Give over villa we’re robbed mate
We were shocking

Djemba-Djemba

The only positives with Utd now is if we scrape a win.

It's a guarantee we'll play like shit and it'll be a miserable performance, it's just sometimes we ride our luck and win and other times we don't.

The idea of us playing well and winning is an alien concept. I don't know how other teams manage it.

Wing Attack Plan R

If this were Rashford's debut in the first team this season, and he'd just come in from the U18s or U23s, we'd all say he still has lots of promise but just isn't ready. By virtue of some of his amazing goals and his previous great form, the current Rashford is worrying. Something is clearly wrong and he's clearly being picked because of how he played 2 or even 3 seasons ago. He does not deserve a starting berth any longer, sadly.

SirScholes

36 years old, this midfield is the worst I’ve ever seen. You can include the time rafeal played in there.
Irs so scary to think that either mctom or Fred will be our first choice for seasons to come

RazorOz

Absolute shit on a stick performance. No signs of any improvement whatsoever, and very fortunate to win the game.

FreakyJim

Is there a midfield in the PL more easily bypassed than ours? I honestly can't think of many - Norwich and Newcastle probably. But that's about it. The amount of time someone took the ball and just ran past Fred or McT was astounding.

Rashford and Greenwood won't defend, they'll rather leave United than put defensive effort, it seems.

All looks rather hopeless with this team, with this Club as a whole.

CallyRed

Terrible performance. Never known a United team to concede so many chances and give away possession so easily.
Attacking play looks shot of ideas. Just shite all round.

DanielofLeyland

Performance was marginally better than the game against Wolves. We started well and created some decent chances which ultimately led to the goal. We looked better with Fred alongside McTominay as he always goes looking for the ball. The gaps in the middle of the park were less evident today when passing.

However, it was far from convincing. Our midfield are too passive when defending. Villa dominated for the best part of the game. They were confident with their passing and movement. Our players fall off too quickly (Fred being guilty against Buendia). A few stupid passes once again going to nobody. I thought our press was better but needs to be more consistent. Worst performer was Rashford. He should be made to work the hardest in training to show he has the determination to want to be a United player. If he doesn't then drop him to the reserves and sell him.

Elanga should get some game time against Villa on Saturday. Needs to be much better.

Speako

36 years old, this midfield is the worst I’ve ever seen. You can include the time rafeal played in there.
Irs so scary to think that either mctom or Fred will be our first choice for seasons to come
Ralf has just said he believes McT will be Captain of this team within 2 years. Feck me.

Djemba-Djemba

Is there a midfield in the PL more easily bypassed than ours? I honestly can't think of many - Norwich and Newcastle probably. But that's about it. The amount of time someone took the ball and just ran past Fred or McT was astounding.

Rashford and Greenwood won't defend, they'll rather leave United than put defensive effort, it seems.

Even their midfields dominated ours in the recent games against them

MalaysianRed7

Thought we were poor tonight. De Gea saved us once again and Varane was quality though. Rashford was utterly disgusting, a disgrace. Big words but it’s true. Decision making and technical ability awful again, but it gets really concerning when the player stops putting the effort in.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

But that was pretty grim.

The 4-2-2-2 just seems odd and Rashford and Greenwood seem to have forgotten how to play football.

acnumber9

It’s difficult to take any positives from a game like that. We look as far away from a title challenging side as we ever have.

Bobski

Those 2 things are linked, when players are running from deep, with momentum, with no defensive resistance from the forwards, good luck stopping them.

Our attackers are a collective disgrace in their workrate, nearly everyone plays like someone else should do their running.

Roboc7

Same old shit we’ve seen for years, no midfield, attackers that make bad decisions over and over again,
average teams out playing and out working us.

FreakyJim

Ralf has just said he believes McT will be Captain of this team within 2 years. Feck me.
I think Ole and Rangnick have done a "Face off". Clearly Ole's managing right now, it's the only explanation.

RedDevil@84

On the lines of Ole saying McT and Fred were quite intense in the game when they had a grand total of 1 interception between them

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I feel like what the residents of the Republic felt at the end of Episode 3. Dark times ahead, we're on a 30-year Liverpool title break over here.

SirScholes

That’s disgusting
We are dead, then again Fergie said the same about Jones

he has no standard quality, poor at everything apart from a decent strike

Matthew84!

Played better than against Wolves but was still extremely poor, the final ball was always missing, Lindelof yet again had a shocker, Rashford was in his own little world again, Elanga done well when he came on

Camilo

Dropping Ronaldo turned out to be the right choice, just like I said.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 289 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa
  • 12% Man Utd 1:2 Aston Villa