FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 1:0 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Mon, 10 January 2022

LDUred

We were woeful tonight and Aston Villa deserved a lot more than they got. They were the better side.

I don't see anything wrong with the VAR decision. It was a clear block on Cavani.

Why would the Villa player be facing away from goal when Villa were attacking? He had no intent to play the ball and wanted to block Cavani, who was tracking the run of the winger/full back. That intervention clearly led to the goal as well.

This is a clear case of pundits seeing what they want to see. The media are desperate for a sob story for Stevie Me to have a good ole' moan about, but the decision was correct. They're throwing officials under the bus because they hate United so much, which is sad.

croadyman

Pleased we are into the next round but a very meh performance again. I know they started it with Munich but wish we wouldn't lower ourselves with that sickening chant again.

BestRed

Opinions but either way as a overall performance this was not better than the other scaped wins we've had against Burnley, Norwich or crystal Palace.
Thought we played some decent stuff in the 1st half tonight, bar a 10 minute spell for Villa, just all went a bit south after the break.

Marcus

I think the subs were good, but maybe a couple of minutes too late.

Daengophile

One thing we need to do is to build up confidence and ugly wins are a part of that.

Non-performing players need to be dropped at least to the bench and in some cases (Rashford) spend some time in the the U23s rediscovering their mojo and hungering for first team football.

Opposition teams know that we are defensively fragile and are enjoying attacking us. It's high time the defence was sorted out

Ogaranya

Recall Garner from loan, our central midfield is as strong as a toilet tissue.

Alek M

Da manic one
Bruno was not bad. He dictates the tempo. Made some bad choices but he kept usnin the game for a good bit until he was tiring.

Elanga had a burst but coming one in the last 10 min against a tiring mistable team is one thing. Starting is another.

we missed Sancho

McT was great

De gea motm. They had lo better chances than us.

Wing Attack Plan R

Did you watch Lindelof tonight or did you just have this post ready to send before the game and were going to post it regardless of the performance?
I imagined what Watkins and Ings would have done to Cap’n Arry and I thanked the old gods and the new that he didn’t play tonight. Maguire would have dislocated his spine trying to turn those attackers, it would have been comic and tragic in equal measure.

Sea-Cow

We were once again outfought in midfield. We could have used Garner tonight.
We could have strengthened in that position in the summer.
Instead the mutants went for Ronaldo. More money.
If we make one signing this window it has to be a DM position.

On paper we have this great list of strikers.
The only ones who are worth their place on the team are Cavani and Elanga.
Varane and Lindeloff were solid enough at the back.

They would have learned from this match.
Hopefully we have learned from it too.

Rashford and Bruno should not start.
Elanga and Donny should replace them.
From the admittedly very little I've seen written about him he has been average in the Championship. I don't see him making any difference for us. He might run around some and show some strong passun, but we also had Daniel James doing that and it didn't exactly set the league on fire.

Name Changed

weso26
I thought that was an awful display. We seem to win a lot of these games where the opposition looks far more dangerous & have more chances than we do. I don't know how we get away with it all the time.

MinGin

Will we play VDB and Burno as false9 at up front on 4-2-2-2 in next few matches, it seems we can hold the ball more often.

Teja

Why would the Villa player be facing away from goal when Villa were attacking? He had no intent to play the ball and wanted to block Cavani, who was tracking the run of the winger/full back. That intervention clearly led to the goal as well.
They planned it, I'm sure. He even made a couple of small movements towards Cavani with the intent of blocking him off, eyes only on the player, never on the ball.

Sneaky bastard.

dpansheth

Lack of accountability.
That’s the problem with our squad, its not that they forgot how to pass a ball for 5 yards.
Sometimes we forget that they are professional footballers who are loved and adored around the world for their playing abilities and winning games. This squad has been either able to pass the buck to managers or coddled by coaches or hired expert PR firms to do their bidding.

Until and unless United fans hold the team accountable for their own mindset we are going nowhere, and I think we need to accept that we aint winning the league in next few years.

chisnall_red

Supports
Citeh
Lack of accountability.
That’s the problem with our squad, its not that they forgot how to pass a ball for 5 yards.
Sometimes we forget that they are professional footballers who are loved and adored around the world for their playing abilities and winning games. This squad has been either able to pass the buck to managers or coddled by coaches or hired expert PR firms to do their bidding.

Until and unless United fans hold the team accountable for their own mindset we are going nowhere, and I think we need to accept that we aint winning the league in next few years.
yeah we ain’t winnin the league. Accepted

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Between not being bothered to look for a stream, the late kickoff time and the current state of the team, I decided early not to watch the game. Would someone summarize in a few words how we played :angel: ? I cannot read all the pages in this thread :wenger:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Between not being bothered to look for a stream, the late kickoff time and the current state of the team, I decided early not to watch the game. Would someone summarize in a few words how we played :angel: ? I cannot read all the pages in this thread :wenger:
Great start then progressively shitter. Rode our luck on several occasions and lucky to have gone through. In short a worrying performance but with a good result.

jackal&hyde

We did decently for a mid-table side as we are now.

I think this whole pressing system we are unsuccessfully trying to implement isn’t working with our players. We may need to revert to a system we played with under Ole with a few choice refinements. RR needs to find a compromise somewhere otherwise these performances will continue.
I tend to agree. Play what the players know, but slightly better, and use the summer to implement new ideas. We look like a broken team that has no idea what to do in any situation.

mattunited1978

doommonger
We are terrible, simple control and passing basics look so hard for this collection of clowns we'v assembled, decision making even worse. Take the result but my god, we were awful..

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I thought that was an awful display. We seem to win a lot of these games where the opposition looks far more dangerous & have more chances than we do. I don't know how we get away with it all the time.
They didn't have more chances then us though.

Coops73

Pretty poor performance, I was listening on the wireless at work and they made us sound like we were being completely overrun, don’t get me wrong I thought Villa were the better team and deserved something out of the game but when I got home and watched the match it was nothing like they described it but that’s talkshite for you I guess.

I thought we started off well and we’re certainly the better team for the first 20 but Villa got back into the game and Watkins should of scored, watching us at the moment is like pulling teeth as we started to give the ball away again, Greenwood and Bruno with some really simple passes going straight to Villa.

It wasn’t a goal, var got it right with Cavani being blatantly blocked off, the villa player just watched him and took him down and the other goal was clearly offside, but the media won’t let that get in the way of a good story and are making out was 2 massive controversial decisions, they’re desperate for Gerrard to be be successful and had already written the headlines for this match, thankfully they didn’t get write those and that was about the best thing about this match.

Rashfords head has gone, he was awful and Elanga showed much more in the 5 minutes he was on. Varane, Shaw and McTominay were our better players on the night and I think the changes RR made shored up the last 10-15 minutes of the game but man do we look poor at times and I honestly think we’re going to struggle at Villa on Saturday but a wins a win and we’re into the next round.

red4ever 79

Slightly off topic, that standards banner that was on display last night prior to the game was epic. Would love to see that displayed on this site with arguably our 3 biggest icons of the past 40 years

Nickelodeon

Slightly off topic, that standards banner that was on display last night prior to the game was epic. Would love to see that displayed on this site with arguably our 3 biggest icons of the past 40 years
Literally came here to post this. The banner was epic and should be there at every game.

Bestietom

We need 3 in the middle of the field against these on Saturday. We also need to drop Rashford, Fred, and Greenwood.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
There were no issues in attitude, fight and pride. Rashford is seriously down in confidence. I just think at times United are playing against themselves. Sloppy passing and making wrong decisions.

Bestietom

Lost midfield battle again. Every team now know where and how to hit us and we must solve our midfield problem this window.
2 Midfielders needed, CDM and box to box general.

deef

Two positives: The start and the tactical adaption in the last 10 to 15 min.

Other then that we were really lucky.
Every opponent looks like prime barca against us because they are given way to much space... I think there are certain players who didn't win the ball ones or didn't even try

red4ever 79

There were no issues in attitude, fight and pride. Rashford is seriously down in confidence. I just think at times United are playing against themselves. Sloppy passing and making wrong decisions.
Problems with their eye sight now or some other disability?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Utter inept shite.

Bang average with the ball, exception in flashes.

Without the ball we are absolutely diabolical. It's a fecking complete joke. One simple pass and bang. Through our midfield running at the back four.

Not even that at times. Pick ball up 35 yards from own goal....run forward and meet no Manchester United midfield.

An absolute fecking joke. Lindelof is a fecking donkey.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
No a good performance but you could definitely see an improvement. Passing was quicker, whilst not pressing as such we were quicker and more proactive to win back the ball, and there was a marked decrease in the amount of backwards or sideways passing. I hope we keep building like this from this point onwards.

Hughes35

Absolutely awful...... yet again. It was exactly what I expected but this was one of those weeks we managed to sneak a win.

I'm at a complete loss as to why we are so bad now. It can't be the fault of Moyes, LVG, Jose, Ole and Ralf surely? This means it must be the players, but how on earth do you solve that issue? Is it a case of shipping out 2 or 3 really bad eggs (Pogba & Martial?) and bringing in one or two others? It seems the issues are deeper than that.

I think the best we hope for this weekend is another lucky narrow win.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Absolutely awful...... yet again. It was exactly what I expected but this was one of those weeks we managed to sneak a win.

I'm at a complete loss as to why we are so bad now. It can't be the fault of Moyes, LVG, Jose, Ole and Ralf surely? This means it must be the players, but how on earth do you solve that issue? Is it a case of shipping out 2 or 3 really bad eggs (Pogba & Martial?) and bringing in one or two others? It seems the issues are deeper than that.

I think the best we hope for this weekend is another lucky narrow win.
I understand the problems with Pogba and Martial at times, but how can anyone blame those 2 when they've barely played for about 3months each?
Them being in the camp can surely not make any difference to the team performances when they're not near the pitch?

Hughes35

I understand the problems with Pogba and Martial at times, but how can anyone blame those 2 when they've barely played for about 3months each?
Them being in the camp can surely not make any difference to the team performances when they're not near the pitch?
I'm making the assumption that they are spreading a lot of negativity off the pitch and that's one of the reasons they don't play?

This is all complete guess work of course and i agree it's probably miles from the truth.......... I just can't figure out what the actually issue is and how to solve it? Scary times for us.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 289 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa
  • 12% Man Utd 1:2 Aston Villa