PL D FA Premier League

Aston Villa 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 15 January 2022

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
There was actually some positive signs in the first half. The midfield was better with Bruno deeper and more restrained. Elanga showing the benefits of a hard working winger.

It all fell apart when Matic ran out of legs and got booked. A taste of the improvement that might be made if we signed a proper DM who can run for more than 30 minutes.

arnie_ni

There was actually some positive signs in the first half. The midfield was better with Bruno deeper and more restrained. Elanga showing the benefits of a hard working winger.

It all fell apart when Matic ran out of legs and got booked. A taste of the improvement that might be made if we signed a proper DM who can run for more than 30 minutes.
Get 2 midfielders in here in January and we'll make top 4. Don't and we'll struggle to make top 6

sugar_kane

Given how shite this season I’m happy to just take positives where we can, and while the way we threw away the lead was pathetic we looked a lot better overall than at any point under Rangnick so far.

The fanboys won’t agree, but I much prefer watching United when Bruno is the star of the show and not Ronaldo. Partly because I think we’re more balanced overall but Bruno thrives in the spotlight, not in someone else’s shadow.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

I didn't see the match so this atleast gives me some hope! I liked the part about Bruno playing deeper, I've been saying it all season!

Steve 007

Very happy with the performances of Bruno, And DeGea, I thought there was a decent performance from Varane and Greenwood. Fred and especially Matic were poor in the middle. VDB needs a chance. Dalot was great at times going forward as was Telles but both are suspect at the back. The bottom line is that for 30 minutes we looked good and for the rest of the game Villa players dribbled past us at will.

Deery

Dreary
Was actually quite enjoyable in the first half and we played something resembling a proper football match which was good, but we need to expand that over the full 90 minutes to get where we want to go.

Looks like we won’t be a team to blitz a team out more a goal here or there to win a match but it’s something to build on.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
This game was lost by mismanagement. It was so obvious we needed to replace Cavani to reinforce the middle. A coach who always talks about control was an obvious error.

Rocknrolla69er

The mentality of the team seemed alot more positive and hardworking. We were in the end undone by players inconsistent displays, mainly Matic who played well for the most part, Fred who also did some good things and Dalot who all had pretty steady games, but also made mistakes and errors.

I thought the above 3 are clearly our weak links, they were crying out to be subbed and we d of surely took the 3 points.

You look at Elangas performance and it offers promise, great attitude and workrate and unlucky not to score, I'm wondering is it time to introduce a few more younger lads such as Garner and Laird to give us further options from the bench, rather than waste spots on Lingaard and 2 goalkeepers.

I'd say if we brought Garner and Laird on for Fred/Matic and Dalot, we win.

wolvored

Goldbridge on the United Stand made a good point I think. He said if we could have won this game (and Rangnicks subs lost it us I think) RR would have probably kept the same side. No Maguire, No Rashford etc. Now he will probably revert to the 4222 again with Maguire and Rashford playing, with 2 strikers if Ronaldo fit.
In fact after praising VDB for controlling the game why didnt he bring him on for Cavani for the last 20 mins after we went 2 up? Packing the midfield, especially as Matic and Fred were getting worse and worse as the game went on, would have made more sense than taking Elanga, who was playing decent, for Sancho.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Goldbridge on the United Stand made a good point I think. He said if we could have won this game (and Rangnicks subs lost it us I think) RR would have probably kept the same side.
So he's basically saying Ralf bases his decisions solely on the result of the game?

He's assuming Ralf is as a big of a moron as he himself is.

redmanx

Under Ole we started badly and often ended well, poor 1st half, good second, under Ralph its the other way round. But again we were undone by individual errors, schoolboy errors from highly paid professionals; some of our players cant seem to concentrate, especially when defending, why is that? Until we have players who can keep possession, pass to their team mates, watch whats going on around them and concentrate we will never finish higher than 6th, if we're lucky.

wolvored

So he's basically saying Ralf bases his decisions solely on the result of the game?

He's assuming Ralf is as a big of a moron as he himself is.
I think most managers base it on a winning team. What other way is there, keep picking the same 11 that lose every match?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I think most managers base it on a winning team. What other way is there, keep picking the same 11 that lose every match?
No they don't, that would mean most managers are idiots. Let's say next game Hendo has to replace an injured Dave and we win the game but Hendo plays like shit. Do you keep him in the team? Of course not.

Result based analysis is for morons. They're the same idiots that think Ronaldo is why we went from a 2nd place team to a team that won't finish top 4.

If Ralf was as big of an idiot as you're implying he'd freeze Sancho, Varane, Ronnie out and then we'd perform like a team that can finish 2nd again :)

I know he made a comment "never change a winning team", but that was to justify his first line up because he didn't want to make changes, rock the boat so to speak and didn't know the players very well yet.

Don't take a manager's press bullshit too seriously. Lying is a part of their job. Remember Ole praising players after horrendous performances?

r0663664

Worships Man City
I like Telles and Elanga going forward in the 1st half. It provided alot of width and create trouble to Villa. Maybe Villa adjusted and loaded more players to stop what is happening but why didn't we exploit the right side. Dalot did not go forward much last night. There was anything happening on the right. I find it weird that these professionals doesn't know what they need to do. How can you lose a 2 goal lead? Cavani should be pull for an additional midfielder. Bruno will be the false 9. All I can say, we have a group of mentally weak players who cave in under pressure and our manager cannot recognise what is need to control the match. Forget top 4, just sell whoever doesn't want to be here and start playing players who play for the badge. Pogba for all I care, can get lost. For someone who earn so much, he does miss many games to my liking.

Acole9

Outstanding
The first half was our best under Rangnick for sure.

We just didn't react quickly enough after the first Villa goal.

Disappointing to lose a two goal lead.

Maticmaker

For the first 30 minutes I had almost convinced myself we had turned a corner, alright the goal was a stroke of luck, but we were the only team shooting for goal up till then.
Suddenly they got their second wind and we lost ours, Fred and Matic came in for some stick, but the truth was the ball was not getting 'up top' much and when it did it came back much too quickly. For once despite all his running about Cavani had a poor game, he was hardly ever where he should have been when it mattered, so nothing really stuck.

I felt sorry for Greenwood, on the couple of occasions he should have gone on to have a pop himself, he tried to find someone in a better position; then on the few occasions he did have a pop, he should have looked around to see at least two team mates in better positions... not easy this 'decision-making stuff' is it Mason?
Liked what I saw of Elanga, once again we had bright quick penetrating runs down the left from a youngster, but.... wait a minute what happened to the previous two 'young things' who trod this path on the left, before... er Martial and of course Rashford... wonder what happened to their electrifying performances?

Some improvement early on. Its a long time since you saw two or maybe three forward players for United all attempting to make runs at the same time in different areas, giving the man in possession (usually Bruno) some real choices to move the ball forward. Sadly it died out once they had gathered their breath and overcome the shock of their keepers mistake.

Once again some unusual but nevertheless great saves from David DeGea, no disrespect to Dean Henderson, but I shudder what to think would be the out come if DDG wasn't there.

Ixion

I will be gutted if Ronaldo, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay and Rashford walk back into the side. There were enough positives last night that shouldn't be just discarded because of the last 20 minutes. I imagine Maguire, Shaw, Ronaldo and McTominay all do walk back in though.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
We go on about Matic. We signed him in 2017 because Chelsea thought he was past his best.
I thought we might have got 2 good seasons out of him at best but we are now more than halfway through his 5th season and we are still relying on him so much despite spending hundreds of millions on players since.
You honestly could not make this shit up. You could have hired 5 guys out the pub and they couldnt have done a worse job running this club.

AndyMUFC86

We're 5 points back. It isn't gone if we get reinforcements in midfield.
The points total feels irrelevant to me. Just by watching us you can tell we’re in for mid table mediocrity. At the start of the season I felt we were Declan Rice away from competing for the title. Now it feels far more than that. There is clearly a huge attitude problem running right through the club which isn’t going to be fixed with a couple of signings. For me it’s only going to get better by getting rid of the high earning egos and building again with young hungry players who will buy into the modern high intensity football of the premier league

Lee565

Don't understand why lindelof was starting when Jones was available or why matic wasn't subbed off in the 2nd half for Jones

Maticmaker

For me it’s only going to get better by getting rid of the high earning egos and building again with young hungry players who will buy into the modern high intensity football of the premier league
(Male) Professional football (PL in particular) over the last five years, at least, really has become a 'young man's game' it isn't just about energy, speed of reactions etc. its about willingness to learn, no preset ideas, showing no fear, and still finding enjoyment in training as well as playing.
As in life generally whilst learning is taking place, then the chances of greater interest/ improvement/development occurring also increases; however in recent times it would seem that once a player becomes deemed as 'having made it' his chances of a 'drop-off in his performances occurring arises...well it would seem so, at United anyway!

Is this what CR is getting at, when he is on about internal/personal motivation?

'Fear factors' come into it as well, risk taking by wannabe's drops off. Sometimes going out on loan can help, less pressure, but what about when a young player, his reputation 'puffed up' by his former employer, arrives on a permanent transfer at a big club and with only the thinnest sliver of self confidence, moreover the dressing room he walks into is in turmoil...remind you of anybody we know?
Where will such a player get the help they need, the size of their transfer fee will suggest they have 'made it' so why is there a problem?

Is there any point United looking for younger/hungrier talent when the dressing room that awaits them is a 'bear pit'. Aging players looking for a 'last hurrah', the "I'm only here for the money" (yes these do exist!), players; those 'dodging the bullet' that should have been fired years ago and other 'young' players who are trying to establish themselves, but who see the newcomers as interlopers, out to steal their shirts, not as new additions to help everyone become more successful.

Ralf is presiding over a massive and very expensive 'bear pit', which he needs to clear out before bringing in new talent that would itself succumb to the 'pit practices' within a short time, if nothing gets done.

Farfetched

As many have observed we were pretty good for the beginning of the first half. Then after that period and for too many phases in the game we were either too close together or too far apart. When we have four or five players in a tight circle we make it so easy for them to press and for us to concede possession. Also with us being confined in too a small area of the pitch, like nearly every throw-in, there was no room to move or pass into space. When we were not in each other pockets we seemed too far apart from each other resulting in aimless long balls that we are ill equipped to profit from. The players don’t function as a cohesive unit, not helping each other out. When we were under pressure in the second half and did mange to win the ball back we just blasted the ball up field to open space giving them the ball back to continue their attack. We are, at times, playing like a mid table team and it saddens me greatly. I also found the statistic of 100 corners and no goals bewildering.

alexthelion

6+ managers and years of shit football. Managers and players have come and gone but the rot starts from the top. The common thread is the bankers who are bleeding this team into mediocrity. Continue to suck them off as long as you wish. We'll be better off when we are owned by people who have A CLUE and give A FECK about football and aren't using the team as an ATM.
Hardly using the team as an ATM when we've spent £1bn over the last few years. £20m in divis ayear is peanuts in comparison.

What they should be held accountable for is allowing Woodward to use us as a plaything when he had no idea what he was doing. Hopefully Arnold will stick to his allowing football people to make football decisions.

Ventura

Grabbed important point in a difficult away game and we look really good value for top half now. Love how Ralfie has come in and revitalized the lads, they looked sharp and up for it the bunch of them. Heartwarming stuff.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Grabbed important point in a difficult away game and we look really good value for top half now. Love how Ralfie has come in and revitalized the lads, they looked sharp and up for it the bunch of them. Heartwarming stuff.
:)

sparx99

(Male) Professional football (PL in particular) over the last five years, at least, really has become a 'young man's game' it isn't just about energy, speed of reactions etc. its about willingness to learn, no preset ideas, showing no fear, and still finding enjoyment in training as well as playing.
As in life generally whilst learning is taking place, then the chances of greater interest/ improvement/development occurring also increases; however in recent times it would seem that once a player becomes deemed as 'having made it' his chances of a 'drop-off in his performances occurring arises...well it would seem so, at United anyway!

Is this what CR is getting at, when he is on about internal/personal motivation?

'Fear factors' come into it as well, risk taking by wannabe's drops off. Sometimes going out on loan can help, less pressure, but what about when a young player, his reputation 'puffed up' by his former employer, arrives on a permanent transfer at a big club and with only the thinnest sliver of self confidence, moreover the dressing room he walks into is in turmoil...remind you of anybody we know?
Where will such a player get the help they need, the size of their transfer fee will suggest they have 'made it' so why is there a problem?

Is there any point United looking for younger/hungrier talent when the dressing room that awaits them is a 'bear pit'. Aging players looking for a 'last hurrah', the "I'm only here for the money" (yes these do exist!), players; those 'dodging the bullet' that should have been fired years ago and other 'young' players who are trying to establish themselves, but who see the newcomers as interlopers, out to steal their shirts, not as new additions to help everyone become more successful.

Ralf is presiding over a massive and very expensive 'bear pit', which he needs to clear out before bringing in new talent that would itself succumb to the 'pit practices' within a short time, if nothing gets done.
Has it become a young man’s game? Liverpools star talents are all knocking on 29/30. So is Kevin De Bruyne. Even Bernardo Silva and Sterling are 27 now.

Wing Attack Plan R

Goldbridge on the United Stand made a good point I think. He said if we could have won this game (and Rangnicks subs lost it us I think) RR would have probably kept the same side. No Maguire, No Rashford etc. Now he will probably revert to the 4222 again with Maguire and Rashford playing, with 2 strikers if Ronaldo fit.
In fact after praising VDB for controlling the game why didnt he bring him on for Cavani for the last 20 mins after we went 2 up? Packing the midfield, especially as Matic and Fred were getting worse and worse as the game went on, would have made more sense than taking Elanga, who was playing decent, for Sancho.
Are you for real?

LPolllance

Get 2 midfielders in here in January and we'll make top 4. Don't and we'll struggle to make top 6
If we can sign Renato Sanches and Ruben Neves this January, we'll make top 4.

A midfield three of Bruno Fernandes, Ruben Neves and Renato Sanches will be difficult for any team to play against.

Bruno Fernandes used to play as a CM in his former club but because of his goal involvement, we pushed him up permanently.

Once he's told to keep it simple, he can be a very competent CM.

With Renato Sanches in front of the back four and Ruben Neves as CM, Bruno can play as the most advanced midfielder.

In man city, even Bernardo Silva who traditionally is supposed to be a wing forward also plays very well in midfield when asked to do play there.

Last edited:

Nordmore

I will be gutted if Ronaldo, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay and Rashford walk back into the side. There were enough positives last night that shouldn't be just discarded because of the last 20 minutes. I imagine Maguire, Shaw, Ronaldo and McTominay all do walk back in though.
Agreed but I don't have any problem with Shaw and McT. I think they've been ok especially Shaw. He's a better defender than Telles and better at dribbling too. Last match Telles let Villa players run past him numerous times so imo Ralf will start Shaw next match.

justsomebloke

Elanga had picked up a knock or a cramp, by the look of it. There was footage showing him getting treatment and grimacing with pain on the bench.

Maticmaker

Has it become a young man’s game? Liverpools star talents are all knocking on 29/30. So is Kevin De Bruyne. Even Bernardo Silva and Sterling are 27 now.

These are half a dozen spectacularly gifted players, playing for the top two clubs and are not IMO indicative of the range of male professional footballers in PL

Exceptions that prove the rule...perhaps!

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 43% of 239 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 253 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw