PL D FA Premier League

Aston Villa 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 15 January 2022

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
last few years i have considered Pog a virus. Now he looks like a vaccine.

I dont get why Fred was in a forward role for most of that 2nd half, with Cavani deeper quite frequently. It did make a nice change to see Fred playing numpty upfront rather than in midfield.

Villa dont get either of those goals if WBS was on the pitch.
WBS?

TheGame

Donny must be absolutely shocking in training for him not to get a look in. I'm not saying he's the answer but we aren't playing well and still stick with the same pairings - McFred or bring Matic in for one. Surely freshen things up.

Given that he and Lingard got the same amount of game times i'm guessing he wants out and Ralf doesnt want to use him.
Ralf said he is performing well in training in the press conference.

Houdini

We were poor but subs should have came earlier. It was so clear we are tired.

bdspeedy

I can't imagine we'll make top 4. I don't want the Europa league. Maybe we need to lose the Europe money to really hurt these owners in their balance sheet. No other way to change things with these parasites.

ReallyUSA

I saw a Man Utd and a Liverpool fan talk to each other about three years ago. The Liverpool fan said you guys are heading to where we were, and United fans just couldn’t see what was happening. I laughed at him, but he was right it seems

siw2007

Very disappointing not to hold out tonight. Very good first half, we deserved our lead. 2nd half, they came out and really had a go, we still had chances to put the game away and tbf we should have done when we got the 2nd. Villa were the better team in the 2nd half but I am quite angry at how we let them at us, we shouldn’t be shopping two goals from a winning position.

Individually, there were quite a few good performers out there tonight. Bruno is looking better, Fred had a good game on the whole, Elanga deserves another start and Greenwood played better than Monday night. Defence will take a lot of the blame for the defeat but I thought Matic was the weak link, he got the early booking and was rather meek for the rest of the game.

SirMattlives

Obviously it’s disappointing to give up a two goal lead, especially since it seemed to all except RR that we were tired and needed subs around 60 mins. Almost feels like a defeat…but, there were some positives early on and I can imagine we’d have seen this out with better game management. Interested to hear the manager explain his thinking here.

Gordon S

Hated the result, absolutely brutal to drop 2 points like that, but i could watch the entire game without getting a hemorrage!
Not a clue why we haven`t signed a cm yet this window.
It feels like every team we play have cm`s that could improve us..

M Bison

Supports
York City
Why oh why did we not make the subs sooner?

Last 20, Cavani looked knackered and we were leaving Matic with an impossible task in midfield with Fred and Bruno pushing so high.

Even the subs themselves I thought were very odd changes, they were uncoordinated and hit and hope.

Born2Lose

On RR, pathetic to not have made some subs sooner, and when he does to bring on a guy as catatonic as Sancho and expect him to do something is bizarre.

You can't play 34 and 35 year olds for 90 minutes in the PL unless they're called Ronaldo.

Elanga was a real bright spot, totally outshone Greenwood with a mature and diligent performance while the latter was as selfish as ever. Makes you wonder if promoting young players to the first team so early is worth it or are the coaches in the youth team doing a better job.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Our corner record is probably the worst in European football. Its so bad it defies statistical averages.

RedAlways78

I was so close to kicking my tv. How can it go that bad? Top 4 is not looking good.

Thiagoal

Until we have a functioning midfield we aren’t progressing past too 6 sadly

Glorio

Dalot, Matic, Fred, Telles would not get into that Villa team.
Cavani seems to be regressing quickly at his age, and we had a wide-eyed youngster being our best outfield player.

All things considered, not surprising - they're probably equally matched sides

croadyman

Telling that Donny had all of about 5 mins in total on the pitch and still manage to fashion a half chance in that time

R'hllor

Simple, not good enough, peformance and result wise, we had some good periods in first half but thats about it. Our subs were late and i mean Ole late, holy shit.
Its not really surprising, Bruno back pass at the end of 1st half, kinda showed where are senior players mentally and team in general, they fighting for air, hoping to get points while doing bare minimum.

Oh and another thing, just like for JM bunch, that waited for shit show to happen under Ole, so they can come out of woodwork and have a go, you Ole sychophants can feck yourself for coming out of woodwork in these special moments just so you can big up or wash up Ole.

You can easily have a go at RR without mentioning Ole or any other past manager for that matter but now suddenly we mention words like standards, throphy topic is back on menu, really? Remember not minding losing semis vs City etc? No fecking shame.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We were poor but subs should have came earlier. It was so clear we are tired.
Why would we be tired? We don't even have midweek games and not like they run like made on the pitch. Fatigue isn't an excuse at all. It's just garbage performance after garbage performance. They're careless and sloppy on the ball, they don't care enough off of it, they don't care about what the end result is, the management don't care about results and don't do anything to make changes.

The club has written off this season.

Ixion

Elanga looked really promising and the first 30 minutes was the best since the Palace game. Not all doom and gloom.

MetoTTT

We all know our weaknesses. We've played maybe the best (not saying good enough for United standards) away game of the season and bottled it. I think it's monstly on Ragnick being so naive on this one. It's a shame because this could've been a litlle "reset". Gutted

DanielofLeyland

United are simply unable to play for 90 minutes performing how Rangnick wants them to. Baffling decision not to substitute our older, tired players and bringing on VDB and Lingard when it went to 2-2. Not even a reactive decision, just bizarre. Would've actually made more sense to bring on a defender as we were more likely to lose rather than win (Although Donny did get one decent chance right at the end)

A positive first 30 minutes. Long way to go to see United become a top four side again.

mu4c_20le

Should have brought Donny on when we went 2-0 up to try and control the game and see it out.

No idea why we wouldn’t do that, Cavani was knackered as usual after 60 mins so sub him. Matic was knackered so put another midfielder on to help.

No idea what these managers are paid to do.
Right after he talked about Donny help control the last game. Maybe he forgot, just like he forgot about training being off.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm hoping this was what I heard on the radio where we can see proper signs of progression a few weeks down the road (Ragnick) as opposed to the instant bounce but back to reality (Conte)

Let's not take the result out of context. For most parts we controlled the game. An utter bang average Villa looked utter bang average. Same Villa club who were booed off for pretty much 9/10ths of a season when they were relegated last time round, so a proper partisan crowd.

Tactically spot on for most of the game, however once again highlights our defincies in central midfield. Nobody who can dictate temp from Low --> High --> Low

Slightly annoyed by the result but not surprised. Can see progress. Annoying that Sancho did not show much when he came on.

Rex Banner

Threw that away. Thought we were poor at times but it was a definite improvement on Monday and don't think Villa were as good either so very disappointing not to come away with three points.

Thought the game management was poor. Don't know how Cavani lasted 90 minutes. Greenwood looked shot as well, or he just couldn't be arsed defending. Far too late for the last two subs. Would've bought Cavani off for Lingard or Van de Beek and pushed Fernandes up. Would've at least helped us control the game, which we were obviously struggling with.

Superunknown

It's more than a little bit depressing how so many teams play much better football than us. They also look better in that midfield area.

Can't believe the midfield has been allowed to get this bad. Any other top club would have sorted this out years ago. You can't move for midfielders at Chelsea, for example. We can barely get through games, let alone even think about winning anything with what we have. The start of the year felt so optimistic with the signings we made, but oh boy, haven't we had a cold, hard uppercut right into the reality since then.

SambaBoy

Just need to make the right decision in the final third and we can put that game too bed. Greenwood guilty of making the wrong decision a few times, Fred giving it away needlessly when the counter is on, Cavani choosing the wrong pass etc. I thought we were much better on the eye, the better team away from home against a solid side.

We lack control in midfield and RR should have made changes earlier. We were knackered and couldn't keep the ball in the centre of the pitch.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Hated the result, absolutely brutal to drop 2 points like that, but i could watch the entire game without getting a hemorrage!
Not a clue why we haven`t signed a cm yet this window.
It feels like every team we play have cm`s that could improve us..
The glazers won’t spend the money mate.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It's a transitional decade tbh. The question is - what are we transitioning into.
No we've just being aimlessly rambling about up to now. At least we now have a good plan. The club has made a statement that it wants to create a high press team. It's the right decision but it will take time.

Water Melon

This season is a write off. The players will feel extremely deflated after the game. They won't see a competent leader to look up to and who they would trust. This shite result is on Ralf and it hurts as much as our last EL final. Stevie Me was the better manager today. Rangnick may still be a top football administrator, but a decent manager he is not.

Banat

Some promising signs in the first half, first 30 mins we were sublime, hopefully we can build on that.
Elanga and DDG were very good. Greenwood had a solid game too but he really needs to be less selfish, otherwise he is a real gem.
Subs were bad though.
This season is a write-off anyway, I'll be happy if I see progress with each game.

Shimo

Game getting away is 100% at Ragnik's feet on this one. Set us up well, good call with Fred being the one pressing up top more, were able to stifle them in the first half as a result.

Once we got 2-0, well even before that, he needed to then get a hold of the game. I don't know if it's just all lip service on his part on controlling a game but, we were not at that point and it was clear, we needed help in the middle of the park. Matic was on a yellow and tired. It was such a simple sub he could have made, get Cavani off and bring in VDB - had the blueprint from just a few days ago but, seemed blind. He could have even brought on Jones for Matic or gone 3 in the back. It was about getting the result but, yet went with the idea of persisting with setup that we had finally lost control of the game with.

Really upset by what could have been a good performance to be thrown away by the manager like that.

Saddy

Losing all the 2nd balls and 50/50s plus Matic and Bruno were gassed at 70 minutes - why can't the manager not see what every Utd fan above fecking 10 years old see ?!!

MUFC OK

This team has an amazing ability to throw away points. 2-0 up with 20 to play? No problem, we got you.

Juansar_07

A point gained. Could've been a defeat. Decent in the first half hour and then reverted back to mediocrity. Villa dominated for a good 70 mins bar gifting us with horrendous errors.

Matic was atrocious. Dalot yet again inept at the back and Fred looked more of a passenger. We had no clue and showed no urgency after villa equalised, says a lot of how broken we are as a unit and utterly devoid of any belief and conviction.

Last edited:

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 43% of 239 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 253 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win