PL D FA Premier League

Aston Villa 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 15 January 2022

MUFC OK

Really frustrating. We played well first half, and it all seemed in hand. Then we just completely switched off.
Were well on top but didn’t make it count. That said 2-0 up with 20 to go should be enough for any team, at any level.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
How are we a place 7-10 team when we finished place 7-10 once in the last 30 years?
Have you seen us this season? Couldn't care less about the last 30 years. Where we've finished in the last 30 years is completely irrelevant to this team right now, which is midtable quality.

MUFC OK

I watched 2 out of the 3 matches vs AV and I can say they are better than we are and that's pretty sad.

Not sure why RR waited so long to bring in VdB as it was clear for anyone to see our mids were tired and not effective in the 2nd half.
VDB is shit, that’s why. it’s not some big conspiracy where he’s an unreal player being refused minutes by 3 managers.

Not up to the standard, everyone looks for a singular reason but it’s simply not the case. We were without mctom and Maguire today, who are Newcastle players at best, and still didn’t get the win. What’s been the value of Cavani btw after that goal against Newcastle? Ronaldo would be getting pelters. Completely nonexistent today.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Really frustrating. We played well first half, and it all seemed in hand. Then we just completely switched off.
I agree. really good first half performance. Weathered the storm early second half. Should have seen it out.

I think this was our best RR performance so far.

MUFC OK

You beat me to it. There's no incentive for a player to leave even if a fee could be agreed.
“Let’s just sell them all and play the youth team”. We’d be down in 14th if we actually did this.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You beat me to it. There's no incentive for a player to leave even if a fee could be agreed.
It is a big problem, rewarding young players too early, giving them no incentive to get better. Long contracts to over priced players who we overpay for. Renewing contracts of players who don't deserve a contract renewal for too much money. The list goes on. You only protect the value of a player who is worth something in the first place.

MUFC OK

I agree. really good first half performance. Weathered the storm early second half. Should have seen it out.

I think this was our best RR performance so far.
We don’t have time for “good performances”, we are sliding away from top 4 with every 3 game period. 6th-9th is where we are at. There is no hope of more than that.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
VDB is shit, that’s why. it’s not some big conspiracy where he’s an unreal player being refused minutes by 3 managers.

Not up to the standard, everyone looks for a singular reason but it’s simply not the case. We were without mctom and Maguire today, who are Newcastle players at best, and still didn’t get the win. What’s been the value of Cavani btw after that goal against Newcastle? Ronaldo would be getting pelters. Completely nonexistent today.
A fresh VDB is better than a tired Fred or Matic. All we had to do was keep the ball a little bit after up 2-0 and we couldn't and that's on the midfield.

adamwest

I never ever felt confident even at 2-0, even after a half decent and controlled first half. As soon as Villa woke up and behaved like they did against us on Monday we crumbled. It’s easier to take now because it’s expected. We’re a mess

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We’ve been kidding ourselves, many of the squad are not top 4 level. We’ve not been unlucky in our results, we just aren’t over achieving either.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The knives are out in full force today eh?

I literally cannot wait until ETH comes in and the same shite happens to him, & there’s a bit of learning & bedding in to do and the impatient entitled fecks of the CAF call for his head a month into his 3 year tenure for not playing like prime Barcelona and steam rolling everyone.

Now where’s my magic wand…..

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We don’t have time for “good performances”, we are sliding away from top 4 with every 3 game period. 6th-9th is where we are at. There is no hope of more than that.
I would take not getting the top four and bringing in Ten Hag or Poch in summer. Than have conte and get top four. Conte is just putting a band aid over a deep wound.

We have to change the whole culture of the club and that will take time. If we had hired conte, in two years time we would be a mess. We already hired counter attacking managers in Mourinho and Ole and the players just gave up.

Get in Ten Hag or Poch in summer, even if it means missing out on top four. I think really we are trying to mirror liverpool. After rogers they were in a mess and it took three years to get it right. We have had two counter attacking managers that have made the club rotten. I mean do you think Pep or Tuchel or Klopp would sign AWB? Not a chance.

We are paying the price for bad management for the last what five or six years. So it will take time to change the whole culture of the club.

Alek M

Da manic one
Fred could not be arsed
Ragnick should have added subs way earlier
No ability to pass/posses the ball for 30 seconds in the second half

Terrible performance

RedDevilQuebecois

Something that all of our managers need to understand is to never keep substitutions too late because that will hurt us. Why the feck do we care about the Brentford match until we even get there? Stupid game management from the manager this time as well.

roykent

The truth is plain to see that MUFC is a mid-table club. The troubles started long ago even as far back as a few seasons and it is now beginning to caught up with the club.
The signings/recruitment has been awful (other than Bruno) but even he has dropped off. Varane? Great job on clearing the box on Villa’s second goal today! Sancho? He does realize that he is not in Kansas anymore? You can’t try and dribble trough the whole line of defence in the PL. that may have worked in the BL. DVB? I like him but it is not a good signing because they don’t use him! Ronaldo? It’s not that he isn’t perhaps one of the best all time, but it is not what the club needed! They need MIDFIELDERS!! People who can control the game as RR or any manager wants.

Cloud7

Europa League or conference league are starting to become a real possibility now. I would rather no Europe than either of those.

Gandalf

Brilliant for the opening 30 and then understandably Villa had a spell of pressure in front of their home crowd but a worthy half time lead. Warning signs were there early in the second half that they were gaining momentum and our second was against the run of play. I cannot understand what RR was watching to leave it so late with the subs, Matic was done at half time and we were strugling consistently to defend our right side. I would have brought on Jones or Slabhead for Matic and switched to a back 3 to give Telles and Dalot less defensive responsibility and brought VDB in for Cavani to maintain control in the middle and let Elanga and Greenwood stretch the play in front of the wingbacks with Bruno as a false 9.

freddie the red

The pre match comments in the match day thread were full of "we're losing this" posts so a draw should feel like a positive result but OMG that felt like a defeat.
To be two nil up with 15/20 mins remaining and not win is really disappointing and seeing Coutinho level it was a gut wrencher.
Fourth is a real stretch now and we're nowhere near winning the CL so the FA Cup is really our only realistic chance of some sort of glory.
Every single match we look technically inferior to the opposition, even to basement clubs, and there appears very little control or fight in the team.
To see where the squad is considering the outlay and salaries in the last decade or so is incredible.
So depressing!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
A fresh VDB is better than a tired Fred or Matic. All we had to do was keep the ball a little bit after up 2-0 and we couldn't and that's on the midfield.
Agreed, he cant be worse than our other midfielders ffs

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Had to be Coutinho...

What a terrible season. Another 13-14 or 18-19.

SirScholes

Plus side
Players in proper positions creates a better team (atleast for 50 minutes)
Elanga understands how to play on the wing as opposed to rashford who just wants to take all the glory

can’t wait until Fred is binned, once again he gets jogged passed in midfield and it costs us

Ixion

It was a good performance for about 60% of the game which is up a lot from the past few months. The first half was actually enjoyable

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I know Fred got the assist for the second goal, but there is no way this team will win any thing of significance with him or McTominay or both in the middle.

How many times did Fred lose the ball or made unforced errors today? He must be the worst player to ever come out of Brazil.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It was a good performance for about 60% of the game which is up a lot from the past few months. The first half was actually enjoyable
Agree. It was an improvement. Think most are annoyed that the changes were made too late by the manager.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
To be fair there were some positives today but we don’t have the stamina to maintain the press which says a lot because it wasn’t even the high octane (death metal) football that we’re used to associating with high pressing.

I’m assuming the board has budgeted for a couple of mid-table finishes until they finally get the required midfield players. Can’t fathom why we aren’t going for any player even if it means a short term loan.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
The mentality of this team is shit period. I hate almost every player in it. Wtf happend to United ? Its filled with overpaid primadonnas. I bet they dont even wipe their own ass

Francis1958

I know Fred got the assist for the second goal, but there is no way this team will win any thing of significance with him or McTominay or both in the middle.

How many times did Fred lose the ball or made unforced errors today? He must be the worst player to ever come out of Brazil.
Couldn't agree more

The Irish Connection

Yes I get that, but most owners would be looking at the state of our midfield and sanctioning additional spending to give us the best possible chance of being successful.
Exactly. Any other top team, Real Madrid, Bayern, Chelsea, PSG, even Barca who are broke, would be scrambling to rectify this shit show and it would have been done years ago. Whatever it took. Sell shares, whatever.
I keep hearing people backing the Glazers for spending a billion. But when you break it down, in the transfer market of the last ten years, what does a billion get you if you don’t spend well. Pogba was bought for 90 million, that’s pretty much a tenth of a billion. He should’ve been sold for 60-70 m two years ago at the latest. Martial the same. And when you spend 40m on a benchwarmer, a billion is clearly not enough. The fact that City have outspent us is damning because they already had a better squad than us when Fergie retired.
The glazers drag their heels over every bit of recruitment, except Ronald who was a commercial dream.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 43% of 239 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 253 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw