PL D FA Premier League

Aston Villa 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 15 January 2022

Leonzo1

This result is on Ralf. Much better then monday but it was clear as hell that the team was gassed after 50 minutes. We desperately need a midfield signing.

Superden

If you cant pass the ball under pressure then you ain't gonna see games out. Sorry but there must be better centre / defensive midfielders out there than what we have, without having to spend 100million on them.

bdspeedy

When will the fans demand more? We need to DRIVE our scum owners out of this club. NOTHING will EVER improve until these inept, corrupt carnies bugger off.

Whatsername

Should’ve brought subs on earlier but looking at the bench we didn’t really have anyone to bring on who you’d feel confident could change the game.

Cantona in disguise

A ball played from left back on the half way line in a straight line to Watkins stood on the edge of the area really sums up our midfield. Non existent until we solve that we are going to struggle. So much pressure able to be applied and then we fall apart. Tiring

Barthez

Absolute disgrace. 54 days since Ole was fired and nothing has changed. Crazy substitution strategy.

Matic should never play for us again.
it was obvious to most nothing would change though. Been there done that. There is absolutely no balance or enough quality in the players

always_hoping

13 minutes to play 2-0 ahead and should be closing the game out but no not with this group of United players.

Don't win anything with kids? More like you'll win nothing with such a flaky team.

DON’T PANIC ™

It was clear at 2-0 we needed to take Cavani off and bring on DVB same as last game. Matic & Fred were wrecked as was Cavani.

wolvored

Good 25 mins lucky goal. 2nd half villa worked us out. RR then subs one of our better players then waits till 88 mins to sub again. No logic in it at all. Why didn't we bring vdb on at 2-1 as we were losing the midfield. De Gea motm again for us.

MartinRed

I bet the scousers are in oblivion about Coutinho right know and dreaming of taking him back.Please copy something from RAWK on the subject.
About the game we stayed true to ourselves.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We were up 2-0 without playing well at any point in this game. We defended decently for parts of it, but we took the lead from a goalkeeper error, created very little else but held possession in the first half. Second half just came out and stood off them, conceded possession, created feck all apart from 1 counter attack, and other than that were begging to feck up the lead which we did. The changes were entirely pointless/without a plan, there was never an intention from the coaching staff or the players to change how the 2nd half was going, and then when we lost our lead the instructions were seemingly to just hold on to a draw at least.

fecking pathetic. This whole season is an embarrassment and it's turning into the worst season post Sir Alex for me.

rooneyberbatov

Greenwood casually strolling in the second half, leaving tons of space open boiled my blood. The coaches should have reacted better but overall a good match.

Red_Aaron

For a while it was as well as we'd played under double-r but to throw away a two goal lead is incredibly frustrating

Tbh the 2-2 is probably indicative of where we are currently at

I'm still fcked off though

RedIan

We were fantastic for 30 minutes, slick pass and move and high energy press. Very few errors…Best 1st half for ages. Elanga and Greenwood shone with Bruno running the game.
2nd half villa really stepped up, our energy dropped and we simply couldn’t cope again the press dropped off and mistakes crept back in. Fred worked hard but was a liability again with his passing 2nd half.

I think Ralf should have made changes sooner as it/was clear we were getting swamped.

fair result in the end.

Crimson King

Second half was pretty awful, Villa way more up for it.

This lot have forgotten how to win comfortably. I mean, they barely remember for to win at all.

Need some midfield reinforcements, I don't like McFred but if one of them isn't available there's literally nothing there to replace them, let alone push them for a starting spot!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Luckily RR is just interim.

Coutinho is such an inspiring loan/buy. Compare that to big signing Sancho who's been a disappointment so far.

Roboc7

Just want this season to be over with so can at least have novelty of a new manager . We’re not finishing in the top 4, not winning anything and it’s not going to be fun to watch.

Have accepted reality that we’re still years away from challenging and when we do will be more luck than judgement.

big rons sovereign

It doesn't matter who we play in midfield, if we continue to persist with just 2 in there, we're gonna keep getting overrun.

Glorio

I get they're poor, but why on earth is Fred leading our press? Matic isn't a footballer any more. Even when he gets to an opponent, he's unable to tackle, usually fouls or gets dribbled past. We lost almost every 50/50 in our half in the second half.

Dalot is not better than AWB - that's never been the case.

evil_geko

Stop repeating Rangnick isn't good enough ffs, no one expected miracles from his on court management, people don't get what interim means.

Ollie Derbyshire

When will the fans demand more? We need to DRIVE our scum owners out of this club. NOTHING will EVER improve until these inept, corrupt carnies bugger off.
We’ve spent loads on the wrong signings, if we‘d spent more wisely the owners wouldn’t be an issue for me.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
There is no other team in the PL that allows so much time and space in front of their own box.

Matic hides into the CB line, Fred is nowhere to be seen, distracted by a butterfly somewhere off the pitch.

There's basically no midfield.

DickDastardly

Could we get serious now please?

How the feck does anybody expect anything when we field Matić and Fred as the midfield duo.

Once again we are forcing ourselves to panic buy.

And please, buy a midfielder. At least one.

Heinzesight

I've really no idea what on earth is going on with this team. Our opening 30 minutes was the best we've played in months. Our press was coordinated and when we didn't press we defended with a tight shape which Villa found hard to bypass. Also, we did well in winning the ball back and quickly countering. The final pass was poor too often, but the intent was encouraging.

But then our energy level dropped and we never regained it. You can't expect to press for a full 90 minutes, but our defensive shape, which was so tight for half an hour, went to shit after that and we never recovered.

Changes should have been made in midfield as Matic was obviously gassed after 50 minutes, but other than that I'm at a loss as to what else should have been done. We were fine and then just turned to shit.
A good summary. So panicky at times.

ManUArfa

I've really no idea what on earth is going on with this team. Our opening 30 minutes was the best we've played in months. Our press was coordinated and when we didn't press we defended with a tight shape which Villa found hard to bypass. Also, we did well in winning the ball back and quickly countering. The final pass was poor too often, but the intent was encouraging.

But then our energy level dropped and we never regained it. You can't expect to press for a full 90 minutes, but our defensive shape, which was so tight for half an hour, went to shit after that and we never recovered.

Changes should have been made in midfield as Matic was obviously gassed after 50 minutes, but other than that I'm at a loss as to what else should have been done. We were fine and then just turned to shit.
I don't think the high energy German press approach is the way to consistently challenge for PL titles in this current football era. We need to dominate possession. LVG started that process but we didn't have the players at the time to make it work.

The Irish Connection

Game was lost in midfield. Does anyone know if there is a stat for consecutive passes made? Honestly, it feels like we give it away after 2 or 3 passes every time we have possession. Woeful.
Looked promising in the first half hour, then went to crap.
At least Elanga looks decent and 1 point closer to the 40.

yamo123x

So frustrating watching this lot.

It was blatantly obvious we were being totally dominated from about the 48th minute. They were running right through our midfield. Why were no changes made then??
I could see it, could Ralph not?

Matic was shattered after first 30 and he was alone in there. What was the role of Fred? Closing down their centre backs and jogging about, he was atrocious.

Both full backs poor defensively again

Bruno wasteful again.

Bringing Donny on for 2 minutes pathetic

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 43% of 239 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 253 ratings.

Score Predictions