CL W Champions League Group F

Manchester United 3:2 Atalanta

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 October 2021

AndyMUFC

A great European night in the end. First half was a disaster, we should’ve got back into it before the break but we were punished for being poor defensively.

Second half was fantastic though and shows what we can do. It’s hard to remain convinced but we’ll enjoy this one for a few days.

Josh 76

Yeah, in those days we'd see the second half as fixing a bad first one, and nothing more. Certainly not talk about heroic comebacks in the group stage against a good but not great side who suffered from injuries. But these are the standards at the moment.
That’s bullshit. There are enough games under Fergie we had come back and praised the team and managers mentality of never giving in. Some games were against crap teams.

Deery

Dreary
That’s bullshit. There are enough games under Fergie we had come back and praised the team and managers mentality of never giving in. Some games were against crap teams.
Literally coined the phase Fergie Time..

passtheball

Didn't Scholes say after Leichester that we needed to back Ole and that he should see out the season?

Despite losing 0-2 we were cleraly the better team in 1st half as well and Atalanta scoring 2 goals from one chance and one corner is ridicolously efficient, where as Leichester was absymal from start to finish

I love Scholes, but his punditry only seems to based on being a contrarian, often conrtadicting himself along the way
No, he said it before the Leicester game.

Yes, he can contradict himself sometimes, but it was good to see him point out the fundamental issues in the team (and coaching) rather than getting carried away by the result last night.

Ixion

Scholes is too negative but he's not wrong about the defending. It isn't just last night's game, its been all season. The formation with the front 4 just leaves us so exposed at the back. There is something off though about how after we went in front the forward players suddenly had more energy and were tracking back more, like why does it need a late goal and chance to cling to a win for the whole team to start defending?

gajender

Wasnt it more the case of United laying siege at Opposition goal while missing chances galore but eventually getting the job done unlike now where half the time we are lost mentally and out of ideas but somehow coming up trumps

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
That was a good performance through the game to be fair. Best we've played since Ronaldo's second debut.

Defensive lapses were poor and their second should have been chalked off for a foul. The guy really shoved Scott from the spot where the ball landed.
Their first looked a mile offside to me

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wasnt it more the case of United laying siege at Opposition goal while missing chances galore but eventually getting the job done unlike now where half the time we are lost mentally and out of ideas but somehow coming up trumps
22 attempts on goal last night, hitting the post and the bar amongst other missed chances. I’d say that suits the former rather than the latter.

gajender

22 attempts on goal last night, hitting the post and the bar amongst other missed chances. I’d say that suits the former rather than the latter.
I agree we were deserving winners last night no question about it that but I was talking about us in general since Sir Alex left.

EyeToldYou

The game last night encapsulated this team perfectly.

From the atrocious to the sublime, not just from game to game, but within the same 90 minutes.

You never know which United is going to turn up, and Neville was correct when he called us a bunch of odd-balls. I wouldn't put it past this team to get a result against Liverpool on the weekend and keep a clean sheet in the process. Unfortunately, I also wouldn't put it past them to be on the receiving end of an arse-slapping.

The consistency (or lack of) is worrying.

MiracleInMadrid

A second half like that almost fills me with more sadness than joy. We have an amazing group of players and characters, if you ask me. What I wouldn't give to watch this group win stuff and dominate the league to get back where we belong.

We are maybe a midfielder and a defender away from being a team that would make most teams crumble before even stepping on to the pitch. Imagine having to deal with Ronaldo, Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba, Martial, Cavani etc. in a well-drilled and -coached team.

This team may end up falling apart before even getting anywhere near the potential.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't usually agree with much Paul Scholes says as a pundit but he was right to say that the first half performance made it difficult to enjoy the second half. The defending in the first 45 was worse than at Leicester and better teams would have put us away long before the break. Not only was the defending shambolic but we missed guilt-edge chances. We can't go on expecting to win games when we only play for one half. P.S. We are shite at zonal marking and worse at playing it out from the back: these have to change if we are to challenge for anything at all.

Interesting that one or two here are coming on to my side that Maguire, not Lindelof, is the problem at CB and that AWB can be a liability, not to mention that Shaw's performances are nothing like last season.

I have been screaming out for Cavani to lead the line and push Ronaldo out wide where he is more dangerous, has more space and a licence to roam more freely. Why it's taken Ole so long to work it out is beyond me... no doubt he'll have forgotten it by Sunday...

In the matchday thread people were screaming to have Bruno replaced at half time, not sure what game they were watching: he was the one creating the chances. Fred was also making important challenges and I though he had a pretty good game.

All that said, we did score three nice goals and Ronaldo is a freak: how does he jump so high and defy gravity for so long? :) I still reckon we will get battered on Sunday although it meant not be 5-0 but 8-4!

daveoliver91

The second half was superb - We didn't play football at all the first half and we were punished by some mistakes. To be fair to the team, Atalanta had 2 chances and they scored 2 goals on the first half, so we were a bit unlucky. On the second half we were in total control of the game and we could/should have scored more goals.

We should start every game going behind, so the team spirits up and we go forward as we used to do back in the days with SAF, even if the game was 0-0.

Let's go for Liverpool now!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yes but we 100% always played well even when we were losing. Its not like the Caf was full of fans wanting Fergie to retire or sacked. This place never changes.

More on topic: The fans that weren't cheering when we won yesterday, why are you even a fan of this club if you're not going to enjoy the moments? Your attitude is so shit I don't understand why you're even following sports if youre go to emotion is negative complaints.

The scoresheet yesterday nowhere near reflected what happened on the pitch.

The absolute scenes from Old Trafford yesterday, the crowds losing their shit and singing for the players for a solid hour. The place was so loud you could hear it in Stockport. Its so fecking SAD that you can't just enjoy those moments and live a little.

ZupZup

I don't usually agree with much Paul Scholes says as a pundit but he was right to say that the first half performance made it difficult to enjoy the second half.
If any United fan found that second half remotely difficult to enjoy... they need to find a new hobby.

I haven't buzzed so much after a match in ages. Nothing beats a come back win.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
No, he said it before the Leicester game.

Yes, he can contradict himself sometimes, but it was good to see him point out the fundamental issues in the team (and coaching) rather than getting carried away by the result last night.
Ok fair enough, but of all the games of the season so far to point out our faults, this was a strange one imo as we didnt play that badly really

Amir

You never know which United is going to turn up, and Neville was correct when he called us a bunch of odd-balls. I wouldn't put it past this team to get a result against Liverpool on the weekend and keep a clean sheet in the process. Unfortunately, I also wouldn't put it past them to be on the receiving end of an arse-slapping.
I mentioned yesterday it reminds me of what Fergie thought of the United he inherited in 1986. He thought the club was used too much to thrive on the short cup runs rather than the sustained quality required to win leagues.

We're kind of that. Except we're not winning cups either!

Jeffthered

The game last night encapsulated this team perfectly.

From the atrocious to the sublime, not just from game to game, but within the same 90 minutes.

The consistency (or lack of) is worrying.
And this is the issue, because unless we have a miracle of a season, we aren't winning any top trophies like this. Manchester United have become a mish-mash of players, lacking identity, plan, expectation, and consistency. And that is Ole's doing, no one else. He has made us a 'fragile' team, where no one, and I mean no one, fears playing us at all... teams fancy a game at Old Trafford, and that should not have been allowed to happen.

Thing is, we probably will get a result against Liverpool or City, and it will set the next cycle of on and off form. I'm fed up with it, we shouldn't be living on these 'rescue acts'... they should be rare.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It was a fantastic fight back. No doubt about that.
But whatever was or wasn't said at half time, it definitely seemed that the players upped their intensity and decided that they were going to get the win. Either for Ole or in spite of Ole
And we know we have a number of match winners.

But the teamwork and tactics simply have to improve.

Superden

i had a great night, missed the first half as i was in a meeting, but got to enjoy all the second half, with a kebab. and didnt visit the caf once so enjoyed it sans halftime meltdown.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
Interesting some call it a 'great European night'

The only reason for that is because we were so terrible in the first half. What's wrong with people?!

Ole has hoodwinked some of ours fans, if you can't see he's woefully inept, then I don't know what to say.

The evidence was there in the second half, if we play an attacking style, with a high pressure system, and people know their jobs, not many teams can live with us. Sadly with Ole that is never going to consistently happen.

But hey, he was a great player for us, right...

SAF is the GOAT

Anyone knows if the game was broadcasted by Darren Fletcher(correct me if I'm wrong - BT SPORT ?) ?

Love his commentating.

tomaldinho1

It wasn't every other game though, that's the issue.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No matter how you try and spin it, coaching is the be all and end all.

Their second goal is the only questionable one. But had we scored in that fashion we'd be fuming if VAR overturned it for a push. Considering we have signed a set piece coach we shouldn't be lamenting a push as the reason we conceded.

The first goal was absolutely to do with coaching. We were all over the place.
Moving the discussion in here instead, due to moaning.

Don't think that's true. Watch it again a few times, we keep a good shape throughout. We react well defensively to the free kick, filling in for the sleeping Maguire/Shaw. McTominay helps out the defense by coming in and replacing Lindelof. He's then caught sleeping when Palasic makes the run, although you can see he looks left and notices him but is too slow to react in time as Palasic has the better acceleration.

Zappacosta got in far too easily this is true. But that's all down to the quick free kick as Shaw should be in Lindelofs position and he'd have done a better job getting closer to Zappacosta. But you can see in that move that the players understood what they needed to do and filled in correctly. The execution was also good, shape was decent throughout. We just failed with individual brain farts (again). What coaching would improve that? It's down to player focus and leadership on the pitch. Maguire should be the one barking at his defense to focus and get back when the free kick is given but he along with Shaw are sleeping.

Second goal was a clear foul on McTominay, pushed him over which actually hindered Shaw as well. Excellent header though.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You should see the Bruno performance thread, there's some idiots who think that Bruno should be dropped because of how 'sloppy' he plays :lol:
That is why the club didn't buy him first time we were linked, because his passing stats were not great. With Bruno you take the bad with the good because the good is game changing.

b82REZ

Moving the discussion in here instead, due to moaning.

Don't think that's true. Watch it again a few times, we keep a good shape throughout. We react well defensively to the free kick, filling in for the sleeping Maguire/Shaw. McTominay helps out the defense by coming in and replacing Lindelof. He's then caught sleeping when Palasic makes the run, although you can see he looks left and notices him but is too slow to react in time as Palasic has the better acceleration.

Zappacosta got in far too easily this is true. But that's all down to the quick free kick as Shaw should be in Lindelofs position and he'd have done a better job getting closer to Zappacosta. But you can see in that move that the players understood what they needed to do and filled in correctly. The execution was also good, shape was decent throughout. We just failed with individual brain farts (again). What coaching would improve that? It's down to player focus and leadership on the pitch. Maguire should be the one barking at his defense to focus and get back when the free kick is given but he along with Shaw are sleeping.

Second goal was a clear foul on McTominay, pushed him over which actually hindered Shaw as well. Excellent header though.
While the defenders appeared to be in the correct positions when you freeze frame to check for offside, that damage had been done in the lead up. The whole teams shape was off. This does boil down to coaching and management. By now we should know where to be in relation to the rest of the team. Far too often we look like a group of strangers playing together. I also don't think it helps that we chop and change so often and Ole doesn't seem to know his best setup or lineup.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the second goal. Would have been very soft to rule it out IMO.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
While the defenders appeared to be in the correct positions when you freeze frame to check for offside, that damage had been done in the lead up. The whole teams shape was off. This does boil down to coaching and management. By now we should know where to be in relation to the rest of the team. Far too often we look like a group of strangers playing together. I also don't think it helps that we chop and change so often and Ole doesn't seem to know his best setup or lineup.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the second goal. Would have been very soft to rule it out IMO.
Disagree, the lead up was fine. Shape was correct throughout, it's just the personal were in the wrong positions but that was all down to the quick free kick which Shaw/Maguire didn't expect. That's not a coaching issue, that's Shaw/Maguire switching off.

Zeno

This game followed a pattern of many many United games over the last number of years. Fall behind and heroic rescue. Of course this isn’t news.

If we try to understand why this pattern repeats then it cannot be simply explained away as coaching - as if the players are simply robots executing a predetermined game plan.

No - what I see is a lack of humility among SOME of the players. They look around the training ground and dressing room and recognise that they are a talented bunch. They walk out onto the pitch, thinking they are better and expecting to win. But talent alone is not enough. And only when they fall behind do talent and motivation combine.

The debate around technical coaching, Ole etc, only gives the players a chance to hide. This group of players have the ability to win EVERY match they play against ANY team - regardless of the coach.

As a collective they need to find the HUMILITY to truly commit. Find that and they will soar.

tomaldinho1

I wouldn't even agree with this, I'd put a lot of blame on Maguire.

• Lindelof sucked out and goes with the man, no problem here, and so Maguire drops in behind, all good, but then you see the communication break down. Fred is tracking his man as is McT but then, once the ball is played back, Fred peels off, as he should, to pressure the ball. Freeze frame here, we have numbers, men are behind the ball and we actually end up with McT and Maguire free centrally. For a scramble defence you're pretty happy and Atalanta don't have lots of men forwards.
  • Maguire doesn't look behind him once in this next passage until the assist, he's basically in no mans land when he needs to either push Shaw out (i.e. tell him he can leave 7) or commit to the near post once the overlap is obvious. What is really telling is freeze frame when the assist is made, the 7 ends up completely free anyway so you have Shaw & Maguire being completely bypassed in our own box. That is inexcusable.
  • There is just a lack of control, leadership, organisation (whatever you want to call it). I am very critical of Ole but this is so basic I actually think it should fall on the shoulder of the players.
Aside form Maguire:
  1. I guess we don't know how vocal or non vocal DDG is. I will say we never hear him whereas we do hear Henderson.
  2. Shaw should see that run coming a lot sooner than he does but he is marking 7.
  3. McT in a perfect world probably can stop the goal.
  4. Noone of our players are aggressive when defending, think of peak Terry and his love affair with near post defending, we let so many balls across our box it is criminal.
The more I watch that first goal, the more impressively bad it is we actually conceded given the initial defence and forcing the player backwards was actually good & both CMs tacked their men really well.

Skyhightrees

let ronaldo roam the left. get cavani to lead the line, sancho to create from the right agaisnt liverpool

CR1

Great game. A classic.

As long as Ole keeps the team in the CL and stays within touching distance of top four in the Prem his job should be safe until January (at least).

Then he should try to sell off a few players in order to raise money for a CDM/DLP and back-up RB. Even if he can’t get his first choice CDM/DLP right now he should still try to sign someone that will improve the team and then possibly get a second one in further down the road.

He has signed three RW:s, so why not?

Noc-Z

ffs
Ronaldo was excellent but we need to play with creative wingers to get the best out of him. Greenwood and Rashford perform more as wide forwards - they're direct rather than creative, getting crosses in etc. Thank God Shaw crossed the ball (actually he was pointing away when he passed the ball but got it back when he crossed) - if it was the other wing AWB can't put in cross like that. Maybe 1 in 100 he can. Most of the rest hit the first defender! In terms of creativity we should at least play Sancho. Ole must think he needs to flank Ronaldo with pace? But I think we need more creativity somehow.

lex talionis

We got out of jail on once again, but we can't go on like this with shambolic first half performances. The top clubs will butcher us.

Cantonagotmehere

Amazing how we play with a sense or urgency. What a 2 half, and Ronaldo......we are so lucky we get to see him in red again. Of course, frustrating that Ole cannot get the team humming like that with out being in a panic.

Maybe Pogba as sub is the way forward? Maybe he will always work hard if its for 30 minutes and obviously can change a game.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 319 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atalanta win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 2:1 Atalanta
  • 11% Man Utd 1:1 Atalanta