CL W Champions League Group F

Manchester United 3:2 Atalanta

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 October 2021

432JuanMata

I ain't started watching this yet but i reckon i should be?
Most watched show in Netflix history it’s great and worth a watch. If you are happy with subtitles I suggest watching it in Korean as in English it doesn’t sync up

cyril C

Don't get all this "second half proves the players are playing for the manager" rubbish.

They played for him in the first half. They played the ridiculous formation he wanted them to play, and they played it in the way he wanted them to, as BT Sport actually very clearly demonstrated in their post match analysis. It's just that it was complete shite.

What they played for in the second half was to not lose embarassingly at home to Atalanta and get booed off again by their own fans.

This game for Ole was just Jose's Newcastle game over again for me. When the team improves significantly when it stops following its manager's instructions and just goes for it, that's pretty damming.
What ridiculous formation you are talking about? It was practically the same formation and personnel (CR apart) that we played in previous seasons. Conceding soft goals, in particular on set piece, was another typical 2020/21 pattern.

Playing Pogba in CMF against Leicester City, was indeed a ridiculous formation.

432JuanMata

Ok you've sold it. I love foreign films so no probs there.
Yeah 111 million people watched it in the first 28 days which is the most ever by a mile.
It’s really good but mainly exciting as you don’t know what is coming

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
You should see the Bruno performance thread, there's some idiots who think that Bruno should be dropped because of how 'sloppy' he plays :lol:
MOTM for me. I won’t be visiting that thread

432JuanMata

MOTM for me. I won’t be visiting that thread
It’s not the worst but it’s extreme difference in opinion. Bruno does give the ball away a lot we already know that but as we seen he is probably the only capable in our squad of them through balls that cut teams open

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yes, Ronaldo pressed this time around but it's been well-documented that he does not press normally. Anyways my point wasn't so much that Ronaldo not pressing was the issue but that the rest of the side has not gotten used to working around that. Obviously the pros of Ronaldo far outweigh any cons and he has to be accommodated for this side to improve from previous seasons. The coaching staff is equally responsible in not finding the right balance and that's why we look so open defensively.
Sounds like the name of a movie. Ronaldo Pressed II. The sequel.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
We played like a Conference side in the first half. Then the best CB on the pitch left exactly at half time. Helped our cause and we got the job done. 3 points that's all that matters on the night. We have to get into the knockouts this time. Just have to.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We played like a Conference side in the first half. Then the best CB on the pitch left exactly at half time. Helped our cause and we got the job done. 3 points that's all that matters on the night. We have to get into the knockouts this time. Just have to.
Played like a conference side :lol:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
What ridiculous formation you are talking about? It was practically the same formation and personnel (CR apart) that we played in previous seasons. Conceding soft goals, in particular on set piece, was another typical 2020/21 pattern.

Playing Pogba in CMF against Leicester City, was indeed a ridiculous formation.
It was a 424. We had a literal line of 4 forwards, then a massive gap to our two CMs. So we had no way to actually pass the ball to our forwards and were instantly outnumbered every single time we lost the ball.

This isn't the exact same thing we've been doing in previous seasons at all. We've done it or something similar most of the time this season, which is one of the main reasons why every time we lose the ball in every game the opposition seem to outnumber us and create a chance. We overload with attacking players, end up just lumping either aimless balls or hospital balls up to them, then lose possession and have half our team caught up the pitch while Fred is left on his own picking up about 5 opposition players. Surely you have noticed this happening?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If any United fan found that second half remotely difficult to enjoy... they need to find a new hobby.

I haven't buzzed so much after a match in ages. Nothing beats a come back win.
you miss the point - do that against a half decent side and there will be no comeback

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus
Three hard games ahead for Manchester United with only six points. The road to qualify from the group stage is getting tougher. Away to Atalanta and Villarreal, two of the hardest teams to beat in their home ground.

Chicharito_

Three hard games ahead for Manchester United with only six points. The road to qualify from the group stage is getting tougher. Away to Atalanta and Villarreal, two of the hardest teams to beat in their home ground.
Realistically we need 1 point from one of those two games and then we have to beat Young Boys at home, if we can't do that then we don't deserve to be in the CL - simple as that.

justsomebloke

The basic issue for me at this point is that we're playing an unbalanced style which doesn't translate to effective football - 4 attackers who doesn't do very much of either backtracking or pressing when we don't have the ball and lack of pressure on the ball-carrier everywhere when we drop back, leaving our midfield with a job that would threaten to overwhelm anyone, and certainly ours, which isn't top notch to begin with.

I was very curious what Ole would do with that against Atalanta, and what he did was basically to double down on it. We executed it better than we did against Leicester, and McFred was a bit less overwhelmed than Pogba/Matic was, but it was the same basic approach and we looked every bit as shaky defensively.

The big Q against Liverpool is if he'll dare double down on it again. Logically, we need to either play fewer players in primarily attacking roles, or ask for more defensive and pressing contribution from the attackers.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Interesting some call it a 'great European night'

The only reason for that is because we were so terrible in the first half. What's wrong with people?!

Ole has hoodwinked some of ours fans, if you can't see he's woefully inept, then I don't know what to say.

The evidence was there in the second half, if we play an attacking style, with a high pressure system, and people know their jobs, not many teams can live with us. Sadly with Ole that is never going to consistently happen.

But hey, he was a great player for us, right...

It was a great European night because it was an exciting comeback and a special pace fueled second half. Listen, if you listen to the roar at Old Trafford and you just sit in your chair and go "Not good" instead of cheering on, then why even support a club? If you're just going to reserve your fanfare for beating a handful of teams top tier convincingly, why are you even a fan of football?

The matchgoing fans at Old Trafford who scream their hearts out for the team and lift the roof of the stadium are so more valuable than people sitting online demanding things (myself included). They help the club.

You could learn so much from loyal fans of fecking Burnley, people who have the ability to support their team win, loss or draw.

We created more than enough chances to score 1,2 and 3 goals in the first half. The end result does not justify the scoresheet. And that's just how it is.

Ole was a great player for us, his number is in the rafters with "20LEGEND". You can feel whatever you want about the manager, but don't go around disrespecting the player like that, its unbecoming of fans of the club.

It stinks of scousers.

ZupZup

you miss the point - do that against a half decent side and there will be no comeback
No, you miss the point.

Imagine not enjoying that final result because you’ve decided a poor first half means we won’t perform in another completely different game.

I’ve seen United play poor one week and excellent the next and vice versa. You’re only sucking any joy out of the game for yourself so do carry on as you wish…

justsomebloke

No, you miss the point.

Imagine not enjoying that final result because you’ve decided a poor first half means we won’t perform in another completely different game.

I’ve seen United play poor one week and excellent the next and vice versa. You’re only sucking any joy out of the game for yourself so do carry on as you wish…
Great article about this in The Athletic yesterday. Where the basic point was that if you want to, it's actually possible to enjoy the drama and the win and the excitement of a late winning goal AND at the same time have firm misgivings about the shortcomings of the side and the tactics and the fact we fell behind and the general direction of the club. Sounds like a good point to me.

Gator Nate

I mean, it's not as if we were dreadful yesterday. We played Atalanta out of the park, but we couldn't finish our chances in the first half while they scored on the two they created, with both goals being a little bit fluky and unusual. We were by far the better team. It wasn't some kind of dreadful performance. Sometimes you just have one of those games where the finishing is a bit off while the other team makes the most of what they get. This was one of those nights. We were the slightly better team in the first half despite the scoreline, and we absolutely annihilated them in the second, dominating practically every moment. People talk as if the team played like shit and that's simply not the case. Fans have a tendency to look only at the score and interpret the actual course of play based on that alone. It's silly.

We were on top in every measurable statistic, too. Possession, chances, shots on target, etc. If you take that first half and turn back time to replay it again twenty times, we'd only be down 0-2 in one of them. The rest we're probably winning by one or two goals. By no means were we playing in such a way that being down by two was an accurate reflection of the performance. And then we tore them apart in the second half. Bruno created more chances last night than any other player has done thus far in the entire CL this season.
Glad someone watched the same game as I did.

Infra-red

I mean, it's not as if we were dreadful yesterday. We played Atalanta out of the park, but we couldn't finish our chances in the first half while they scored on the two they created, with both goals being a little bit fluky and unusual. We were by far the better team. It wasn't some kind of dreadful performance. Sometimes you just have one of those games where the finishing is a bit off while the other team makes the most of what they get. This was one of those nights. We were the slightly better team in the first half despite the scoreline, and we absolutely annihilated them in the second, dominating practically every moment. People talk as if the team played like shit and that's simply not the case. Fans have a tendency to look only at the score and interpret the actual course of play based on that alone. It's silly.

We were on top in every measurable statistic, too. Possession, chances, shots on target, etc. If you take that first half and turn back time to replay it again twenty times, we'd only be down 0-2 in one of them. The rest we're probably winning by one or two goals. By no means were we playing in such a way that being down by two was an accurate reflection of the performance. And then we tore them apart in the second half. Bruno created more chances last night than any other player has done thus far in the entire CL this season.
This is about right. The first half was not good, but taking the game in its entirety, it was the best performance this season outside of the opener vs Leeds.

justsomebloke

That's not true. We had an xGA in the first half of 1.29, which is apparently (according to The Athletic who have a very good article on this today, including an xG chart) the worst half we've had this season in terms of allowing opposition scoring chances. Our own xG was about 0.6. Two down is a bit worse than that of course, but it most certainly would have gone heavily against the statistics if we were in the lead after the first half. Or were even, for that matter. If I recall correctly, Atalanta also had a significant advantage in possession in the first half.

Our second half xG on the other hand was 2.39, which is the best half we've had this season in terms of creating scoring chances (while Atalantas were around 0.3). So this was very much a game of two halves.

Bruno incidentally had the highest expected assists (1.19) he's had in any game since arriving at United.

Dansk

If your view of football revolves exclusively around xG to the point of ignoring all else, I don't think there's any point discussing anything with you.

Flytan

If your view of football revolves exclusively around xG to the point of ignoring all else, I don't think there's any point discussing anything with you.
I mean yes, but the xG describes the first half perfectly in this scenario. We played poorly but created a chance or two. Not sure if this is the game you want to die on the hill of "advanced stats bad".

justsomebloke

Sorry, what? :) That might have been an appropriate response if we were now into our third exchange, and I had so far refused to countenance anything other xG. But as it stands, I was in fact responding to your claim that " We were on top in every measurable statistic, too. Possession, chances, shots on target, etc. If you take that first half and turn back time to replay it again twenty times, we'd only be down 0-2 in one of them. The rest we're probably winning by one or two goals. "

I assume we can agree that the concept of "every measurable statistic" includes xG? I am pointing out that the xG blatantly contradicts that assessment. Also, I question if you are correct that we dominated possession in the first half - because as I recall the half-time stats board, we had only slightly above 40% possession in the first half. I may be wrong, but if you know I am, then you should be able to quote the stats. The same goes for your other claims in that paragraph. Since you argue that they all show us ahead, and even with the level of specificity that enables you to assess precisely the statistical likelihood of our being ahead or behind, perhaps you could start by quoting the stats you are using?

And I agree with Flytan that in this case, the eye test leaves the same impression as the xG.

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
No, you miss the point.

so you're a mind reader now?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just as with Villareal (though a much better 2nd half performance) that comeback was not indicative of any momentum building. As Scholes said, a team missing 5 players, losing their best player on the night at HT, playing absolutely kamikaze football, is playing into our hands and it wasn't a barometer of anything.

What did Scholes say, play that way against Liverpool and see what happens.

MUFC OK

Realistically we need 1 point from one of those two games and then we have to beat Young Boys at home, if we can't do that then we don't deserve to be in the CL - simple as that.
You’re confident we qualify with 10 pts? I’m not.

redshaw

Just as with Villareal (though a much better 2nd half performance) that comeback was not indicative of any momentum building. As Scholes said, a team missing 5 players, losing their best player on the night at HT, playing absolutely kamikaze football, is playing into our hands and it wasn't a barometer of anything.

What did Scholes say, play that way against Liverpool and see what happens.
Fair play to Scholes, yes for some of us this was coming, he could've towed the line but decided to call it out right after a magical comeback night to piss on everyone's chips. We've been taken to the cleaners by Villarreal and Atalanta, a massacre was coming with good strikers.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 319 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atalanta win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 2:1 Atalanta
  • 11% Man Utd 1:1 Atalanta