EL D Europa League Group L

AZ Alkmaar 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 03 October 2019

siw2007

Bore draw. Gomes and Williams played a decent game. Fred was atrocious.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Pathetic. Nothing more to describe.

I can't believe I would utter these words for united and God is witness I wish only good for this club I support, but I have gathered courage to say this...

At this level we are in serious danger of getting relegated
We are. But my thread got locked after the last game. :(

Infra-red

I'm jealous of the people just tuning in now thinking that this was an 8pm KO.

For the rest of us, that's 90 minutes we'll never get back. This is the least-entertaining United side I can remember. Worse even than the dark days of Van Gaal.

OleGunnar20

Clean sheet!

Joking aside I hope this stops people from saying why we don't start Greenwood or play Gomes. Woefully shite the pair of them.
I know we were dreadful but this kind of kneejerk is really unfair. They're very talented youngsters being asked to not only integrate into, but basically act as the focal point of a really poor team. It's too much too soon.

I'd still prefer Gomes, Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Williams, Garner et al out there than the majority of our overpaid 'Experienced pro' s'

Anyway, terrible watch that. I'll take a point considering AZ are a good team and our starting 11 was really mismatched.

Lee565

Even during Mourinho's worse spell at the club we could still score 3 or 4 goals in a game.

Look what's happening under Ole, we can barely score a goal or get a shot on target in a game from open play and and everything is still supposedly fine according to a lot of fans that buy into the rubbish 3 or 4 year plan on the road to nowhere.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yea the muscle injury thing has to be down to Ole too. It’s like fitness can compensate for having the tactical nous of an U14 manager. Loved Ole as a player but this is cringe

Un4givableB

Ole at the wheel and he's driving us over the cliff.:drool:

But will give a great press conference. :)

It's B Rubble

Man,I'm so sick of us playing shit football. It's been like a decade since I saw us play like a top team.
I felt this in my soul. I hate they way we play and that so many matchgoing fans are alrite with this mediocrity.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Utterly dreadful. Fred is one of the worst players we've ever had. Williams is very promising though.

LoneStar

Wishing injury on a player
Pathetic performance. If people still believe that Ole is not at fault, I really don't know what to say. He is clearly out of his depth and needs to go now.

Lingard injured only the positive out of the game.

always_hoping

Yet another difficult watch but pleased to at least not lose. Starting with Matic and Mata is like playing with 9 players and Fred was worse than a pub footballer tonight. I feel sorry for the young players having to play in that environment.

I think thats a 10th away game in a row without a win. That night in Paris feels like a lifetime away now.

NYAS

How did we go from those performances during caretaker Ole to this low of a level? It’s impressive how that’s even possible.

Denis79

AZ are not a bad team but not getting one shot on target... 10-1 in corners to them? It's poor for a club our size, no matter the eleven we field.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Probably got Lindelöf man of the match and I’m bemused at how he’s considered a first choice centre back for us.

Mata just offered nothing: got the ball and laid it off safely every time, when we’re crying out for more. Fred was dreadful: couldn’t do anything right tonight. Gomes was possibly even worse though: barely looked like he even had the requisite desire to get involved.

BT Sport punditry is very sobering but very sage. Both the Owen’s are completely on point. There’s no master plan at play here and these players are not all as bad as they seem, playing in a super disjointed, uninspiring team. Shame everyone is too polite to point fingers at the coaching team.

redom

Not sure you can call what we play football, more like a combination of dodgeball and hide n seek, there's very little light at the end of the tunnel right now.

Raw

How are we still one of the worst ever teams to watch? We're so mind numbingly boring that it makes me hate football.

RedIan

What a boring crap team we are. Never look like scoring. Glad i missed the first half !

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I made a terrible Mistake last night and watched Barcelona. Weird to see players and a system

Stookie

Nurse bell end
One of the worst games I’ve seen, but given the side that was put out on the pitch not a bad result really. Feel for the fans who travelled all that way for that.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Started brightly and ran out of ideas after about five minutes.

DDG was the only one who played decently and Williams although he made a couple of mistakes did well
Fred was abysmal.
No-one seems to know how to pass the ball , so slow and lack of movement.

Although weren't under great pressure a draw seems a good result considering the performance.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Ole better come out and say we can do better. If says we played well i will lose it. That was a throwback to Van Gaals days but worse.

In fairness to greenwood, i saw him making a couple of runs but no one would pick him out.

Mata awful though.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Probably got Lindelöf man of the match and I’m bemused at how he’s considered a first choice centre back for us.

Mata just offered nothing: got the ball and laid it off safely every time, when we’re crying out for more. Fred was dreadful: couldn’t do anything right tonight. Gomes was possibly even worse though: barely looked like he even had the requisite desire to get involved.

BT Sport punditry is very sobering but very sage. Both the Owen’s are completely on point. There’s no master plan at play here and these players are not all as bad as they seem, playing in a super disjointed, uninspiring team. Shame everyone is too polite to point fingers at the coaching team.
Think plenty on here have questioned the quality of the coaching team. They all look completely clueless and Ole keeps adding to them by the day.

OleGunnar20

Our attacking play is so bad. I watched City last night and they just effortlessly move the ball into the opposition box. We struggle just to get the ball 30 yards away from the oppositions goal. Every pass is safe and the movement is non existant. It's so easy for the opposition to defend against. The coaching has to improve because regardless of if it's young players or established players they all play the same way.
Agreed. Regardless of lineup we look horribly disjointed. Clueless really.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We've had some terrible defeats over the years, but I think that was the worst game I've seen in which we got what can be considered a decent result. I don't think any of our expectations for this were high but that was woeful. It honestly was like watching schoolboys without the energy.

We can talk about the occasion, the shuffled personnel and the pitch all we like, there's no way any senior United team should be going there looking that inept. Clueless rubbish.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • AZ Alkmaar win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% AZ Alkmaar 1:1 Man Utd
  • 15% AZ Alkmaar 0:2 Man Utd