EL D Europa League Group L

AZ Alkmaar 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 03 October 2019

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I've got no idea why, but that felt like it, lads. Sorry. As someone who watched mediocre football for every week of every season until 2010, United are showing all the hallmarks of a side who cannot cope at the top level and won't be back there any time soon. It will be years before you're close to looking capable of winning any trophy of any description again, let alone regularly competing the league title.

Woodward's season-long plan to "get rid of the deadwood, play loads of youngsters, and generate some optimism for the future" has lasted until the first week of October. Well done, Ed. He's just loaned out Smalling after giving him a contract extension six months ago. Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo are still there after years and years of simply occupying space. The ways Woodward finds to look even more incompetent than he did two weeks ago continue to be absolutely astounding.

There's no way his summer plan was to spend £130m on defenders and needlessly weaken the team in every other area of the pitch, but somehow that happened. He gave the job to fecking Moyes in the first place and then eventually gave it to Solskjaer, whose only managerial experience in this country prior to this year was getting relegated with Cardiff. I mean, for absolute god's sake, putting United's future in the hands of that guy.

And, fine, sure, the odds are against Ole for the reasons stated above, but Chelsea are basically in the same position as you (relying on kids for squad depth, their main star leaving or agitating for a move, inexperienced manager), yet the very, very beginnings of a new cycle at least look like they're under way for Lampard. Other than aiming for Maguire at the back post on free-kicks and corners, is there any one tactic or plan that United consistently aim to do? I can't think of one.

Sure, sometimes philosophies don't work. Pep during the 16/17 season and all of Van Gaal's reign (his philosophy needs time, remember), but you could see they were trying something at least. With United it's gone so far beyond the point of "Not knowing which United side are going to turn up" because you know what United side are going to turn up. It's going to be the United side that prays for a moment of brilliance because they cannot control anything else about a game of football.

I think that was it tonight. 5 wins in the last 22 games. That's not a bad run of form, that's routine now.
Thanks for that. :lol::(:nervous:

Banana Republic

Defensively we didn’t do too bad considering the defenders who were injured, ill or being rested.
The frightening thing is the rest of the team, midfield and forward line, where we were only missing Pogba, Pereira and Martial.
Everyone else in the first team squad got some time on the pitch tonight, apart from teenager Chong.
That’s a bare bones squad. Barely having enough experienced players and having to rely on young kids to pad out the line-up, when they are barely ready for first team action.

How have we spent hundreds of £££millions on players, got one of the biggest wage bills in football history and end up having such a weak, thin squad?

I can’t see sacking Ole will turn this around.
This is a dire situation.

Last edited:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I've got no idea why, but that felt like it, lads. Sorry. As someone who watched mediocre football for every week of every season until 2010, United are showing all the hallmarks of a side who cannot cope at the top level and won't be back there any time soon. It will be years before you're close to looking capable of winning any trophy of any description again, let alone regularly competing the league title.

Woodward's season-long plan to "get rid of the deadwood, play loads of youngsters, and generate some optimism for the future" has lasted until the first week of October. Well done, Ed. He's just loaned out Smalling after giving him a contract extension six months ago. Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo are still there after years and years of simply occupying space. The ways Woodward finds to look even more incompetent than he did two weeks ago continue to be absolutely astounding.

There's no way his summer plan was to spend £130m on defenders and needlessly weaken the team in every other area of the pitch, but somehow that happened. He gave the job to fecking Moyes in the first place and then eventually gave it to Solskjaer, whose only managerial experience in this country prior to this year was getting relegated with Cardiff. I mean, for absolute god's sake, putting United's future in the hands of that guy.

And, fine, sure, the odds are against Ole for the reasons stated above, but Chelsea are basically in the same position as you (relying on kids for squad depth, their main star leaving or agitating for a move, inexperienced manager), yet the very, very beginnings of a new cycle at least look like they're under way for Lampard. Other than aiming for Maguire at the back post on free-kicks and corners, is there any one tactic or plan that United consistently aim to do? I can't think of one.

Sure, sometimes philosophies don't work. Pep during the 16/17 season and all of Van Gaal's reign (his philosophy needs time, remember), but you could see they were trying something at least. With United it's gone so far beyond the point of "Not knowing which United side are going to turn up" because you know what United side are going to turn up. It's going to be the United side that prays for a moment of brilliance because they cannot control anything else about a game of football.

I think that was it tonight. 5 wins in the last 22 games. That's not a bad run of form, that's routine now.
We have nothing in common with you.

You should be playing Gillingham, but won the lottery and pump us now.

Enjoy it, dont compare.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The amount of shots we're getting off at the moment is disgraceful.

Another game, another big laugh for scousers.
Forget about the scouser. They are away and gone; in another league to us.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They love laughing at us though. And they get to do it a lot. It's ammo after ammo for them.
Yep. And not just the scousers.
Pretty much the whole football league.
Being a United fan is becoming hard work and far from being enjoyable.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
When we play a reserve side, with youth debuts, it shows how little importance we give to the competition, so why fans gets so upset at an away European draw I don't know. If it does bore or upset you, just treat Europa League games as U18 Academy games on MUTV ie. don't watch them (I do, and they're boring and shite). If we get to the knock out rounds just start tuning in then.

I do agree that this evening's side was clueless in possession but as Kevin Moran just said on MUTV, a side with 8 changes isn't a team, its more or less a bunch of strangers playing together for the first time. And they did look like that. But it did look to me that the player's decided pre-game that with this pitch they would put in the bare minimum to get a point, to not risk any more injuries. Only Lingard was too foolish to even do that, but no-one will miss him.

The youngsters got game time which seems to be the whole point of this season, as if the club strategically decided to forego any trophy ambitions this season to try and grow our kids. If you're not comfortable with that, and I can empathize with that, then skip a season and come back next year when they're more mature, or this experiment is abandoned. I thought Brandon did ok for his debut, and pleased to see that he got that chance (and pleased that Dalot is back too). Was disappointed with Gomes's lack of movement, but assume again they decided to play positionally rather than move again due to the pitch, but even then his positioning was poor. We've all wanted him to get starts, but I would like him to seize his chances.

Speaking of not seizing chances, when will Fred take his? Our real big problem is that Fred, Matic, Mata are simply nowhere near a good standard. If we are going to do this youth experiment, face facts and drop all three, and promote Garner and Levitt, and stick Gomes as #10, not on the wing. And similarly keep Greenwood up top and not on the right--can't fault him when there is zero service.

Bottom line is we did the bare minimum to get through, and got the away point we clearly aimed to get. If you're struggling to watch our games, simply don't, or treat them as the U23/U18 games that they have become and the occasional glimpses of the future that they give. When you watch youth games you are watching raw players that you are forced to have a quarter-full glass viewpoint as they are so undeveloped, yet the joy of watching youth is to see that gradual development, and the flashes of promise and hope. So if today all you remember is Brandon's debut--that is enough.
Good post.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
You support Bristol rovers?
Yes. And if you did as well you would know why I am a Manchester United fan.
Bristol Rovers have been and always will be crap. But I will tell you one thing.
The players work their socks off week after week.
They are not good but you cannot fault their efforts.
Worst ground in the whole football league, by a long way.

AFC NimbleThumb

Just read we didn’t have a shot on target.

Can one of the ‘slow progression’ brigade please explain to me where we’ve gotten better.

Devil may care

That was really poor, his buddies in the media keep saying we need to trust the process but I don't see any process, there's just absolutely nothing there right now, I really would love to know what we do in training, the team looks clueless and Ole's out there after the match looking like Timmy Mallett.

Not sure why some ae standing on their high horse over Gomes and Greenwood, they were poor but no worse than the utter dogshit Rashford, Lingard and Mata have been for months.

Houdini

Everyone is talking about Fergie's record but how many records we have broken in after Fergie era?!

Aaron Lyons

Bristol Rovers have been and always will be crap. But I will tell you one thing.
agree totally man Utd players dont even play like they can be bothered and get paid all that money and teams in lower league try really hard and get paid alot

red thru&thru

Unfortunately, you have summed it up quite well.

City are a great example of what good planning does. We have spent nearly as much as City since 2013 with no where near the same results.

Agree with LVG. He was the only manager you could see what he was trying to achieve. My god was it boring but you could see the plan. All the rest? I'm still trying to understand what they were trying to achieve?!

But with some good planning, I don't think we're too far away. We have the financial muscle. The club appeal. We just now need the real footballing men to execute a plan.

yamo123x

Really really sad to see how we badly we have regressed. Game after game I keep saying this was the worst performance I’ve seen, palace, Astana, West Ham, Arsenal, and today this.

I’m not gonna pick out players it’s clear for all of us which players are simply not good enough. What concerns me is the lack of effort, lack of personal pride and lack of any tactical awareness or style of play. The young players look terrified, is it more damaging allowing them to develop amongst such poor pros in such a struggling team??

As for Ole, nice guy, brilliant footballer, but as a manager I don’t see what he is trying to do other than pick young teams and hope he can build a new team. Stark contrast to Jose but being a nice guy doesn’t win you games.

I’ll never stop supporting the club but it’s very sad state of affairs at this time.

DomesticTadpole

Unfortunately, you have summed it up quite well.

City are a great example of what good planning does. We have spent nearly as much as City since 2013 with no where near the same results.

Agree with LVG. He was the only manager you could see what he was trying to achieve. My god was it boring but you could see the plan. All the rest? I'm still trying to understand what they were trying to achieve?!

But with some good planning, I don't think we're too far away. We have the financial muscle. The club appeal. We just now need the real footballing men to execute a plan.
Blame the players for LvG. They got him the sack because they weren't enjoying themselves. I wasn't much either to be fair, but I bet they aren't enjoying this much either.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Great good for you - but why refer to Utd as 'us'?

Sweet Square

When we play a reserve side, with youth debuts, it shows how little importance we give to the competition, so why fans gets so upset at an away European draw I don't know. If it does bore or upset you, just treat Europa League games as U18 Academy games on MUTV ie. don't watch them (I do, and they're boring and shite). If we get to the knock out rounds just start tuning in then.

I do agree that this evening's side was clueless in possession but as Kevin Moran just said on MUTV, a side with 8 changes isn't a team, its more or less a bunch of strangers playing together for the first time. And they did look like that. But it did look to me that the player's decided pre-game that with this pitch they would put in the bare minimum to get a point, to not risk any more injuries. Only Lingard was too foolish to even do that, but no-one will miss him.

The youngsters got game time which seems to be the whole point of this season, as if the club strategically decided to forego any trophy ambitions this season to try and grow our kids. If you're not comfortable with that, and I can empathize with that, then skip a season and come back next year when they're more mature, or this experiment is abandoned. I thought Brandon did ok for his debut, and pleased to see that he got that chance (and pleased that Dalot is back too). Was disappointed with Gomes's lack of movement, but assume again they decided to play positionally rather than move again due to the pitch, but even then his positioning was poor. We've all wanted him to get starts, but I would like him to seize his chances.

Speaking of not seizing chances, when will Fred take his? Our real big problem is that Fred, Matic, Mata are simply nowhere near a good standard. If we are going to do this youth experiment, face facts and drop all three, and promote Garner and Levitt, and stick Gomes as #10, not on the wing. And similarly keep Greenwood up top and not on the right--can't fault him when there is zero service.

Bottom line is we did the bare minimum to get through, and got the away point we clearly aimed to get. If you're struggling to watch our games, simply don't, or treat them as the U23/U18 games that they have become and the occasional glimpses of the future that they give. When you watch youth games you are watching raw players that you are forced to have a quarter-full glass viewpoint as they are so undeveloped, yet the joy of watching youth is to see that gradual development, and the flashes of promise and hope. So if today all you remember is Brandon's debut--that is enough.
100% this.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Jose: *gives honest critique of players performance*
Caf uproar

Ole: *obvious lying to protect players*
Caf uproar

You can’t win. He’ll know that was utter wank. Anyone who thinks he’s genuinely happy with the state of us at the minute has a screw loose.

jem

Just a reminder 90% of this forum were desperate for us to be in the Champions League THIS season. I said last year Europa League is our level and this is another game that highlights that fact.

Positive performance from Williams, and a great point away to a much better team.

5 wins in our last 22, Progress!
So what are you saying? You didn’t want to be in the Champions League?

DomesticTadpole

Jose: *gives honest critique of players performance*
Caf uproar

Ole: *obvious lying to protect players*
Caf uproar

You can’t win. He’ll know that was utter wank. Anyone who thinks he’s genuinely happy with the state of us at the minute has a screw loose.
I hope he does or we are in serious trouble.

red thru&thru

Blame the players for LvG. They got him the sack because they weren't enjoying themselves. I wasn't much either to be fair, but I bet they aren't enjoying this much either.
Agree. But we shouldn't have gone after Jose. We should have gone out and got a manager with similar principles as Lvg. Poch was there for the taking and apparently guys like Bobby Charlton and Fergie wanted Poch but Ed and his boys wanted Jose. Oh well.

DomesticTadpole

Agree. But we shouldn't have gone after Jose. We should have gone out and got a manager with similar principles as Lvg. Poch was there for the taking and apparently guys like Bobby Charlton and Fergie wanted Poch but Ed and his boys wanted Jose. Oh well.
I agree with that. If we thought LvG principles of playing suited the club, then go along the same lines, not completely in the opposite direction. They were just desperate for trophies and a big name. Poch was not a big name then, yet now they would be begging for him to come.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Yes, because we look so much better when we play our first XI...

Our Liverpool 90-16 transition is almost complete. Our fan base is beginning to show the delusion that still affects scousers to date.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yes, because we look so much better when we play our first XI...

Our Liverpool 90-16 transition is almost complete. Our fan base is beginning to show the delusion that still affects scousers to date.
They have not won the league in 30 years.

Roboc7

Said last season we still hadn’t hit rock bottom, this season looks like it could be it. We look desperate and it feels almost hopeless in short and longer term.

If we sack Ole we’ll be clueless about what to do next and will make another poor appointment, stick with him and we’re entrusting a long term rebuild to a very limited coach and manager. We’re screwed either way.

Don’t remember a shot on target, seen that so many times since SAF left, still no signs of any attacking game plan or patterns of play.

lysglimt

Scout
If anyone expects us to play good football with Fred, Matic and Mata - combined with some youngsters - they are very optimistic. But the fact is - with McTominay rested on the bench (things immediately improved when he entered the pitch) and Pogba and Martial injured - this is where we are.

People can complain about getting a new manager - but will that make Fred a better footballer, or Mata and Matic quicker ? Nah - we need to replace these 3 players with new players. It wont get radically much better before that. Fred is quite possibly the worst midfielder I have seen at United in my time as a United-fan. (not counting youth players who got 2 matches etc). Matic is simply too slow.

I don't care about the football we played tonight - we rested basically our entire team because of injuries and an astroturf pitch. Shaw, Maguire, Young, AWB, Lingard, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, McTominay, Jones, Bailly and Tuanzebe - were all either missing or started on the bench. And we got a draw against a team that is 1 Point behind Ajax and PSV.

We need to get 2-3 creative players in - and this will be quite ok. We are much better organized than we have been for quite a while, but we lack goalscorers.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • AZ Alkmaar win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% AZ Alkmaar 1:1 Man Utd
  • 15% AZ Alkmaar 0:2 Man Utd