EL D Europa League Group L

AZ Alkmaar 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 03 October 2019

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Athletics World Championships and EuroLeague basketball was very interesting.

TheForgottenOne

So Rosenborg - PSV just started on the telly here and they produced an attack with some great close quarter play, better than seen United produce in the whole game, within the first 50 seconds.

No matter the circumstances, it was just painfull how bad we were/are.

redshaw

Doesn't matter who plays or what formation, the scapegoats have been going on since 2013. We've ran the gamut this season.

It's quite fitting we have a black badge, it's like a club in mourning.

tire4

90 minutes I'll never get back. Probably not the worst point in the world really but 0 shots on target says it all.
I watch alot of AZ games. They're a highly organised team. Every club with exception of the top teams in Europe would have a difficult game. But what I saw from United this evening was terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
20:04
Dalot's difficult evening
Diogo Dalot has been speaking about a point gained on a difficult pitch.

He told MUTV:

Tough game, difficult pitch, difficult opponent, they play very well. We keep a clean sheet and it’s a good point away from home.

It was difficult. We’re Man United and we need to be ready for every challenge. We don’t use it as an excuse but it was difficult.

I don’t want to say every time that the pitch was difficult but we need to pass good and cross good. We need to keep the positives, look to improve and I think today was a positive with the clean sheet.

David did some good saves, he’s there for doing that and we’re there to stop as much as we can. we try until the end and we did some good defending against a go

passing-wind

Can just feel the excuses "Ole needs his own team to beat the likes of Palace, Southampton and Alkmaar"

Valuedrug

Professional performance I’d say.

In that bland, indifferent, corporate kind of way, where every player seems to be mentally ticking off contractually defined boxes as the match progresses, just waiting for it to end.

Edy2

I can usually find a positive or 2 but there were none this time. Newcastle may beat us Sunday.

Fluctuation0161

What's with Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Shaw etc and muscle injuries? How are they training, what are they eating? This is ridiculous.
Squad is so weak that the average players are being ran into the ground. They should be our squad players. But they are first teamers and the kids are our squad!

MisterLupus

I'm a bit disappointed that we don't prioritize the Europa League. He put the reserves out there - and I knew the moment I saw the lineup it would be a boring game. Didn't disappoint either - fell asleep before half-time and just woke up.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Are they being coached at all in training? There seems to be no evidence of any moves or plays in our build up.
Very good question.
Surely even a halfwit can see that the coaches are not delivering anything at all.
Ok. One or two players can be off form at any time.
But. Not every player in every match. Maybe McTominay excluded.

Red00012

Clean sheet!

Joking aside I hope this stops people from saying why we don't start Greenwood or play Gomes. Woefully shite the pair of them.
Get a grip , You can’t judge 2 kids on tonight , you’ve experienced donkeys out there like Matic and Fred embarrassing themselves.

Red00012

I'm a bit disappointed that we don't prioritize the Europa League. He put the reserves out there - and I knew the moment I saw the lineup it would be a boring game. Didn't disappoint either - fell asleep before half-time and just woke up.
Europa league group is muck , Newcastle away with 50000 Geordies roaring after been hammered 5-0 last weekend takes priority.

Asger

Worse than Moyes.

You can laugh all you want at that infamous game where Moyesy instructed us to cross the ball about 80 times, but we were at least attacking and attempting SOMETHING in that game. Watching Ole's United is like watching that United without the crosses. There is NOTHING to see at all.

You do not need top-class players to get shots on target, I'm fekcing sorry, you do not - if you did, teams like fecking Newcastle would never have a shot on target in any of their games. This lies squarely with the manager and coaching staff - worse clubs with worse players have shots on target during 90mins of football.

To go to Alkmaar, maybe the 3-4th best team in the mediocre Dutch league and be completely schooled in terms of attacking football (and may I add, an Alkmaar team featuring a fair few youngsters so we can forget that excuse as well) while not even having a shot on target is unacceptable, sorry. Completely unacceptable.

He's got to go. I'm done, he's got to go.
Moyes had a good team. United has max 3 good players now.

DavidDeSchmikes

Manchester United didn't have a single shot on target tonight - they only had seven touches in the Alkmaar box in the whole game.

For comparison, the Dutch side had four shots on target and over 25 touches in United's box...

Asger

As someone said it was in the CL more often than not against far better teams than this. We are becoming irrelevant.
Yes, with 100x better players than this aswell. Fans need to stop overrate all our players. De Gea is our only WC player.

Dr. Mowinckel

19 goals in 20 games.

We are a fecking joke.

Journey, process, Ole, transition, blah blah fecking blah.
Even that abysmal record flatters us somewhat. For the last 16 official games we've only managed to score more than once in the freak Chelsea game; In the remaining 15 games we've scored 9 goals. The game before that streak we needed two penalties to score twice against West Ham...

buckooo1978

yeah awful is now our norm.....

its gonna take years really to usher out Fred, Mata, Lingard, Young, Shaw, Matic etc as well as coping with the half decent players leaving as they cant be fecked hanging around for a long transition. feck knows if Ole has a clue on how to organise an attack

Canagel

Very happy I never watched. Much better things to do than watching the weekly borefest.

AlwaysRed66

I didn't see the game, but did I see a stat that said we had no passes/shots in their penalty area in the first half. If so that is shocking.

MisterLupus

Europa league group is muck , Newcastle away with 50000 Geordies roaring after been hammered 5-0 last weekend takes priority.
Well let's hope it pays off. I agree that the league takes priority - but that was just impossible to watch. Also sad - I do believe we need no more than two-three signings to have a first eleven capable of top-four - but it's obvious we are miles away from having a squad capable of challenging. With the exception of our defense I didn't see a single player out there who belongs in a club of our caliber - and I have no clue why they played James like they did. Putting our only creative force up front where nothing gets created I mean that's just a blooper right there.

BombayBadBoy

Pass and move. One of the most basic, simplest, effective thing's you're taught in your sunday league.. this team cannot do. They don't even attempt.

Our attackers just stand still. What are they waiting for? It's embarrassing.

AlwaysRed66

I can see why you say this, & in previous years that may have made sense. The trouble is we are no so poor & in freefall, that if we did concentrate on the Europa League, we could be fighting relegation, which is incredible to believe.

Siorac

Even last years under SAF was even boring football, especially away euro games.
True to an extent and I complained a lot back then as I felt we weren't doing enough to stay in the absolute elite of European football. But still. In 2012/13 we scored 86 goals in the league. 86! We haven't scored more than 68 in a single league campaign since then. The famous "zombie football" thread still could not have foreseen the depths we were about to sink to.

Sentient Meat

I think if Martial could stay fit and Pogba was actually trying, that the team could probably compete for a Champions League/Europa League spot next season. However, it's looking more and more doubtful that either will happen so we are talking a midtable team. I don't mind getting rid of Lukaku because I hate his style of football, but we needed to sign another veteran striker if we were going to do that... Chicharito... Zlatan... anyone who can score when given the opportunity. The first half was one of the most uninspiring displays of football that I've ever seen... it reminded me of watching the US or Japan competing in the World Cup in the early days where neither team looked close to scoring.
Some of it is mental... who knows what happens if Greenwood was able to volley that early chance in the net, but again, they need some veteran who is willing to come in like Giroud the final twenty minutes and produce a result.

Red00012

The Bigger picture is Samuel is that you didnt watch the game because they also had half a team out. We had no shot on target, the team have no leadership, no tactics , no game plan.

The older experienced players (Matic , Fred ) are bog standard lower PL players who we fecked 90 mill on.
The club is a mess at the moment.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The Bigger picture is Samuel is that you didnt watch the game because they also had half a team out. We had no shot on target, the team have no leadership, no tactics , no game plan.

The older experienced players (Matic , Fred ) are bog standard lower PL players who we fecked 90 mill on.
The club is a mess at the moment.
That is being kind.

Asger

Well let's hope it pays off. I agree that the league takes priority - but that was just impossible to watch. Also sad - I do believe we need no more than two-three signings to have a first eleven capable of top-four - but it's obvious we are miles away from having a squad capable of challenging. With the exception of our defense I didn't see a single player out there who belongs in a club of our caliber - and I have no clue why they played James like they did. Putting our only creative force up front where nothing gets created I mean that's just a blooper right there.
Really? I really would like to know what players are better than mid club or championship level.

Irwin99

A good result in the scheme of things but again, didn't exactly inspire confidence that this season is going to be anything other than really bad. Fred and Matic weren't great, the youngsters except for Williams were average, and i'm fed up of seeing Rojo hoof the ball upfield to no one :mad:

Williams MotM

chiz2kul

Solskjær on #mufc's performance vs AZ Alkmaar: "Very happy with the boys, we come away with a good performance. Should have been three points, a nailed on penalty. You cant even discuss it. Good performance against a good opponent on a very bad surface." #mulive
shocking comments imo. When is he gonna come out and call things as it is? The entire gameplay was sh1t!

macheda14

When has a blocked shot by a defender ever been on target ?
Why isn't it though, if a defender blocks it on the line is it not on target? If you shoot from the halfway line and it rolls toward the keeper is it on target?

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • AZ Alkmaar win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% AZ Alkmaar 1:1 Man Utd
  • 15% AZ Alkmaar 0:2 Man Utd