EL W Europa League Group L

Manchester United 4:0 AZ Alkmaar

Post-match discussion

Thu, 12 December 2019

poleglass red

A little disappointed at Martial but assumes that Ole has given him orders to be careful, not hurt himself and save energy for the weekend. Otherwise, it's strange how he can be transformed from deadly to tame in just a few days.

The first half was just as I expected the whole game to be, sometimes it's wonderful to be wrong. It really feels like something very positive is happening in the club now and the next month will be incredibly exciting to follow.
that's what he does though, consistency is an issue with him. If it's not going well for him he looks almost disinterested. I'd hope Ole drops him for the weekend game but I don't think he will

OldPop

that's what he does though, consistency is an issue with him. If it's not going well for him he looks almost disinterested. I'd hope Ole drops him for the weekend game but I don't think he will
I think it was Ole's tactical advice in this match that he would attract defensive players without risking anything. That he would be replaced was certainly also determined. He will play the next match considering the effort against City.

DSG

Great scoreline so looks like a game not to moan too much but the performance was far from perfect especially in the first half. We played awful football and AZ was the better team in that first half creating all the chances. In the second, suddenly we scored 4 (there was a foul before second goal though) and the game was over in 10 minutes so it sweeps all under the carpet.

LVG was totally right. We're basically a counter attacking team under Ole now no matter who the opponent is. That works when we let the big teams have the ball, defend and counter them but when we have the ball it's just not good enough. And trying to play counter attacking football against teams that has better quality than you like City is OK but against the likes of AZ at Old Trafford; it is embarrassing.

Can't see what is so special about the young players we have either. Only Greenwood will make it here imo.

Still, we needed to win the group and we did it so well done to Ole & the players but that was a game that just papers over the cracks.
Stop with all this positivity. You have a future as a motivational speaker!

Seriously though, I do take some of your points.

The first half was dire. Andreas and Mata were awful. Instead of moving the ball, Andreas feels compelled to do 5 stepovers and then a sideways or backwards pass, rather than get the ball to Rashford and Martial. Mata, on the other hand, is just not up for it physically. His speed and quickness have declined so much that it blunts his technical ability and movement.

You could see Ole was not happy with the first half performance. Both him and Carrick looked like they were attending a funeral. Tuanzebe was awful (and I really rate him).

The Young goal was great passing, movement and trickery. If Young misses that chance (which I’ve seen him do), I think we maybe nick a single goal and win 1-0.

However, this was essentially a 2nd team side. Garner really played well once we had the formation change. Greenwood... has that ephemeral knack of scoring goals from nothing chances. Brandon Williams is learning to put mistakes, bad passes etc. behind him and not let that affect his performance the rest of the match.

I don’t get all of the Caf disgust at being a “counter-attacking” side. SAF built some of the greatest counter-attacking teams we’ve seen, and won 25 major trophies for us. Klopp has essentially a counter attacking mentality. You see, possession football requires numerical advantages throughout the pitch. Logically, the fullbacks need to become more like midfielders, pinching in and becoming essential to build up play. This leaves space behind them that a front 3 with pace can easily exploit in quick counter attacks. We are building the antidote to Man City. Isn’t that what we want?

We absolutely need to do a better job breaking down well organized sides to become a complete team, and our midfield and fullbacks aren’t good enough to do this (yet), but we are headed in the right direction.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What I found most interesting was how relaxed and confident Ole looked walking toward the tunnel after the first half ended. If I had to guess, he set out to rope-a-dope AZ in the first and knew we'd utterly kill them in the second half

Valuedrug

Don’t think it means much, but that second half had some bright spots for sure. Greenwood really can strike a ball.

Good to be seeded for the draw, and let’s see where we go in the league from here.

ghagua

We play fast in the final third with resolve and intend. That’s SAF style. I know you know that did win titles.
I know it was a while back so you might be forgetting things, but the United teams under Fergie totally dominated teams in every area of the pitch, especially in midfield with an assortment of Ince, Keane, Scholes and Butt. Maybe the last title was based on that philosophy, but that was it. We did rely on the counter attacking in Europe, that is why our record in that is dismal to be honest based on how long we competed in that competition.

Dante

Average bang
Martial is better up front than Greenwood. Greenwood is better anywhere on a football pitch than Chong. I guess you're entitled to an opinion but this one just seems like you trying to find something to moan about.
Grow up.

roseguy64

Chong on the right and Greenwood up front achieved that too.

If Ole had rested his first team whilst playing Romero as centreforward and Angel Gomes as a centreback, that would have also been a selection mistake. One doesn't totally excuse the other.
Chong played a full game a couple days before. He wasn't gonna be able to start.

ReddBalls

Learning to read would be better than posting videos on goals scored on the counter attack. A team who relies on scoring on counter attack does not win on a consistent basis.
Why bother replying if you think I am not literate? United under Ferguson did in fact "rely" a lot on counter attacking, and they actually won a couple of trophies over the years. That was the point of the video. Anyways, it's not like United under Solskjær is just sitting deep waiting for the opponent to do errors. That I agree, is not a way to win consistently. However, United are actively provoking errors, and they do it in different areas of the pitch depending on the opposition. When they win the ball, they attack. This form of counterattacking used to be called "Gegenpress" when Klopp won the Bundesliga with Dortmund twice.

ghagua

Why bother replying if you think I am not literate? United under Ferguson did in fact "rely" a lot on counter attacking, and they actually won a couple of trophies over the years. That was the point of the video. Anyways, it's not like United under Solskjær is just sitting deep waiting for the opponent to do errors. That I agree, is not a way to win consistently. However, United are actively provoking errors, and they do it in different areas of the pitch depending on the opposition. When they win the ball, they attack. This form of counterattacking used to be called "Gegenpress" when Klopp won the Bundesliga with Dortmund twice.
Why do you think United have such a tough time to break through against teams who defend? (which most lower teams do against United), and why is it we ripped City apart in that first half hour. You cannot counter against teams who defend deep, hence the trouble breaking them down. Now the majority of the points up for grabs are against the lower teams. It's great that we have a great record against the big six, but if you cannot win against the teams where the majority of the points are available, then you end up in a position where we are right now.

As for Fergie's team, other than the last 2 titles we won, we totally dominated teams during the season in winning those titles.

Marcus

Why do you think United have such a tough time to break through against teams who defend? (which most lower teams do against United), and why is it we ripped City apart in that first half hour. You cannot counter against teams who defend deep, hence the trouble breaking them down. Now the majority of the points up for grabs are against the lower teams. It's great that we have a great record against the big six, but if you cannot win against the teams where the majority of the points are available, then you end up in a position where we are right now.

As for Fergie's team, other than the last 2 titles we won, we totally dominated teams during the season in winning those titles.
You could keep kicking the ball to touch in your half or concede corners deliberately. ;)

always_hoping

AZ recovered from their 4-0 loss to United by beating Ajax this afternoon and moving level on points with them at the top of the table.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 93% of 229 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 197 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • AZ Alkmaar win
  • Draw