EL W Europa League Group L

Manchester United 4:0 AZ Alkmaar

Post-match discussion

Thu, 12 December 2019

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Let’s make sure we keep up with this great momentum in the PL. Nice to build up a nice run of wins at this stage of the season. With Chelsea somewhat out of form at the moment I hope we smell blood and mount a challenge for 4th or 3rd even.
Onwards and upwards!

Walters_19_MuFc

Poor first half. AZ kept the ball well. We couldn't get near them, but to be fair to us, we restricted them to very few chances.

The change to a 4141, which meant we matched them man for man in midfield, ultimately meant we got closer to them and win the ball back higher up the pitch.

Confidence is running through the team right now and you can see. Another good performance and great to score four goals.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
First half was sloppy and lethargic.
Second half completely different and confidence just grew and grew.

Greenwood put in a very good performance and scored two. Mata was poor in the first half but much better in the 2nd.
Pereira and Williams had good games. Looked fairly solid at the back apart from Romero playing some dodgy balls. Even Young gets a cool finish.

Keeps the momentum going.

AkaAkuma

I thought both Mata and Pereira played well in the 2nd half, with some good link up.

mu4c_20le

Matic was an absolute pedestrian in the first half, but showed that he still has an eye for a pass. He's done unless he plays at the base of a 433, only shielding the defence with no movement required.

OleGunnar20

Out of the younsters, Greenwood and williams will make it.

Garner was poor especially in the first half. Got turned badly right at the start of the second half. He only started to play when we were three or four up. I have my doubts about him.

Far too early to say with him I think. He's certainly got talent, but looks very nervous out there at the moment.

And after all, CM, especially the type of role he plays there, is a really difficult spot to master as a youngster. Lots of confidence & tactical awareness required.

I don't think we'll be able to say conclusively for a couple of years with Garner, but I think he's got plenty of ability to play a role for us going forward.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dont see Chong getting a lot more time. He's simply not good enough if you ask me. By far your worst youngster.

Robindinho

Good second half... Much better playing with a midfield 3 (only one holding). Shuts down the space and gives another passing option higher up the pitch.

It’s how we should always set up.

BestRed

Tuanzebe, Laird, Williams, Garner, Chong, Pereira, Greenwood all on the pitch against a decent side in Alkmaar, 4-0 and top the group.

Happy feckin days, lovin whats goin on at the club right now!! To all the moany bastards, catch yourselves on!!

Reactions: Penna

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I missed the game. How did Garner play?
Looked very nervous in the first half. Got turned badly right at the start of the second half, which nearly led to a goal for them.

Only looked confident when were three or four up.

Drz

Again I'm left wondering if Greenwood is the only player to have scored for us cutting-in from the right this season...
Very good second half of football.

ChaddyP

Garner was poor especially in the first half. Got turned badly right at the start of the second half. He only started to play when we were three or four up. I have my doubts about him.
Give the kid a break. He's only 18 years old. That's extremely young for a midfielder.

Gordon S

Crazy game! Very enjoyable second half. Happy for Mason, should be a boost for his confidence.

But he is looking more and more leftfooted? Maybe he trusts it a bit more. Genuinly couldn't tell which was the strongest in the reserve team.

Alemar

Set up 2 goals for us today with his "pre-assists" (sorry for the made up stats categories) to Mata though.
Ok, but even I run faster than Matic (and I am older than him and have an office job). To say Matic is a pedestrian would’ve been a flattery

Alemar

Garner made an assist today. Via a tackle, Ok, but technically it is still an assist and will be counted as such.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I love watching greenwood play. Kid has a bright future. Glad Williams had a good game too. Good win, starters rested. On to Everton.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Give the kid a break. He's only 18 years old. That's extremely young for a midfielder.
Some just don’t get what it means to play youngsters. The lads aren’t expected to be anything near the finished product yet. They are simply given the opportunity here to step up and learn by playing with the senior team. You just can’t expect them to play like established players. I won’t even doubt Chong yet at this stage. Some bloom later than others, as long as he regularly puts in good performances in the U23’s and continues to work hard he still has the chance to make it.

stu_1992

What a second half! Didn't see that coming after the first half, in which nothing of note happened. But we were almost unplayable there for a few minutes. It was great to watch.

Greenwood with 2 great, real precise, finishes. And won a penalty too. I was hoping he'd be the player to break the run of no hattricks.

Sone nice play in the build up to the first goal, especially from Pereira and Mata who are both players I've been critical of this season. Even Young getting on the scoresheet too. Great result with a lot of players rested and some key game time for our youngsters. Onto Sunday!

ghagua

Great scoreline so looks like a game not to moan too much but the performance was far from perfect especially in the first half. We played awful football and AZ was the better team in that first half creating all the chances. In the second, suddenly we scored 4 (there was a foul before second goal though) and the game was over in 10 minutes so it sweeps all under the carpet.

LVG was totally right. We're basically a counter attacking team under Ole now no matter who the opponent is. That works when we let the big teams have the ball, defend and counter them but when we have the ball it's just not good enough. And trying to play counter attacking football against teams that has better quality than you like City is OK but against the likes of AZ at Old Trafford; it is embarrassing.

Can't see what is so special about the young players we have either. Only Greenwood will make it here imo.

Still, we needed to win the group and we did it so well done to Ole & the players but that was a game that just papers over the cracks.
Totally agree. Also, counter attacking crap does not win you many titles either

ghagua

Please sell Matic, if possible. If not, give him away.
Winning with 10 players today.
Matic has been on his retirement tour since joining United. Apart from the few games right after signing. Should have been dumped in the summer, and just about any player could play instead of him, and we won't feel the difference.

Falcow

Matic was an absolute pedestrian in the first half, but showed that he still has an eye for a pass. He's done unless he plays at the base of a 433, only shielding the defence with no movement required.
His first game back, give him a chance to get some match sharpness. He will be needed if we are not signing anyone in January.

Mr. Meeseeks

Username aside, I would like to know why you think he was poor. He did his job and even 'assisted' Mason for his first goal (I actually think it should have been given as a foul against us. But excellent pressing from him far up the pitch won us a goal.). He had a solid performance and didnt really put a foot wrong all game. I dont see how you saw anything poor in his performance (especially since the team in general was lackluster in the first half).

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
had a quick look at RAWK, don't know why, found this:
If you would like somewhere nice an quiet to sip read wine, read a book, and spare seats to put you bags and charge your phone battery, Old Trafford on Europa night should be on the top of your list.
They read books? They have bags? They have phones?
Selfish pricks.

norm87cro

I'll be honest I didn't see that coming at all after that first half. We could have been one down because they had a clear cut chance in the beginning of the second half. They didn't convert and we scored and rode our luck on the second (the foul not the goal which was brilliant). Have to be pleased for Greenwood and this is maybe a chance to rest James (who has been great but looks gased lately) and give the lad another chance against Everton.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Great scoreline so looks like a game not to moan too much but the performance was far from perfect especially in the first half. We played awful football and AZ was the better team in that first half creating all the chances. In the second, suddenly we scored 4 (there was a foul before second goal though) and the game was over in 10 minutes so it sweeps all under the carpet.

LVG was totally right. We're basically a counter attacking team under Ole now no matter who the opponent is. That works when we let the big teams have the ball, defend and counter them but when we have the ball it's just not good enough. And trying to play counter attacking football against teams that has better quality than you like City is OK but against the likes of AZ at Old Trafford; it is embarrassing.

Can't see what is so special about the young players we have either. Only Greenwood will make it here imo.

Still, we needed to win the group and we did it so well done to Ole & the players but that was a game that just papers over the cracks.
We won. By four goals. Playing the kids ... And you still found things to be miserable about. Wow. It takes a special kind of dedication.

Red00012

3 points.
Scored 4
Clean sheet
Some player got a well needed rest.
Roll on Sunday

Al-T

Won the group. Loads of changes. Happy with that.

Give Everton a doing on Sunday with any luck.

James Ward

Tuanzebe, Laird, Williams, Garner, Chong, Pereira, Greenwood all on the pitch against a decent side in Alkmaar, 4-0 and top the group.

Happy feckin days, lovin whats goin on at the club right now!! To all the moany bastards, catch yourselves on!!
Ah sure its not like United are 22 points behind Liverpool after 16 games.

Oh Wait, they are!!!

wolvored

Didnt see the game, couldnt get a good stream. Watched BBC sport on laptop. Good result, but you cant judge the game by watching this. Ironically as we scored the Wanderers scored. Seemed anything we could do, the Wanderers had to match. :lol:. Saw the goals on youtube.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 93% of 229 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 197 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • AZ Alkmaar win
  • Draw