EL W Europa League Group L

Manchester United 4:0 AZ Alkmaar

Post-match discussion

Thu, 12 December 2019

Ban

Great scoreline so looks like a game not to moan too much but the performance was far from perfect especially in the first half. We played awful football and AZ was the better team in that first half creating all the chances. In the second, suddenly we scored 4 (there was a foul before second goal though) and the game was over in 10 minutes so it sweeps all under the carpet.

LVG was totally right. We're basically a counter attacking team under Ole now no matter who the opponent is. That works when we let the big teams have the ball, defend and counter them but when we have the ball it's just not good enough. And trying to play counter attacking football against teams that has better quality than you like City is OK but against the likes of AZ at Old Trafford; it is embarrassing.

Can't see what is so special about the young players we have either. Only Greenwood will make it here imo.

Still, we needed to win the group and we did it so well done to Ole & the players but that was a game that just papers over the cracks.
You had that rant prepared, we won so it needed to be changed a bit but you still went on with it. Respect.

Alemar

It was actually a foul. He did not touch the ball.
Statistics doesn't work like this. If he didn't touch the ball, then it was a foul. But ref said "play on", it meant that the ref decided that he touched the ball. So, it's an assist.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Good win. Great to see Greenwood score 2.Good to see Axel, Williams & Garner doing well.
Now do it to Everton on Sunday.

Shimo

Goodness me, that first half was so bad. That moving of the ball from front to back from a simple goal kick is such a weakness. Even some of the lesser teams are quite well drilled about it - something that has go to be fixed.

That said, the second half, well played to Greenwood and Mata and Perreira too, he actually looked quite good at times and took bit of magic by him to create the first goal.

Thought Matic was alright as well, moved the ball along and covered along side the inexperience of Garner. Rather have him as an option to come on in midfield than Perreirra.

Oh and we kept a clean sheet, wish we could in the league now.

El Zoido

This team has massive potential. We need to add a few more to the squad but there’s so much talent here. We’ve had a lot of young players over the years such as Macheda and Januzaj, where they had spells of looking good, but you never really quite felt they’d be quite good enough. These young guys now look the real deal. Exciting times ahead.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Good result, job done.

Mata, Young and Pereira played the best they have in a long time.

Williams looks very good, and Greenwood was shades of RvP and definitely MotM.

Result was a bit harsh on Alkmaar to be honest. They put in a good performance either side of the the goalfest. Happy they qualify.

SplitzMagic

What a second half! Didn't see that coming after the first half, in which nothing of note happened. But we were almost unplayable there for a few minutes. It was great to watch.

Greenwood with 2 great, real precise, finishes. And won a penalty too. I was hoping he'd be the player to break the run of no hattricks.

Sone nice play in the build up to the first goal, especially from Pereira and Mata who are both players I've been critical of this season. Even Young getting on the scoresheet too. Great result with a lot of players rested and some key game time for our youngsters. Onto Sunday!
Was waiting for someone to mention Pereira. I know he's not the most liked player but that was a lovely bit of skill for the Young goal.

Some will say it's easy to do but still... We need a bit of Ronaldo once every 10 years :D

stubie

Is that the first time we’ve played in black socks at home in Europe since Valencia 2001?

lemmiwink

Thought this was gonna be a dreadful, boring 0-0 draw so skipped the second half and watched a movie with the missus. For about 10 minutes my phone kept beeping constantly. Checked phone. United up 4-0 in 10 or so minutes.

At least Stuber was mildly entertaining :nervous:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Indeed it does. I started responding to that pile of misery but even responding to it was depressing so I decided not to bother.
The fact that he mentioned that we "suddenly" scored 4 goals was a highlight to me. :lol:

Alemar

I believe Greenwood has become the youngest Man Utd player ever to have scored 2 goals in a European cup match.

Dve

The B-team just won 4-0 in a EL game.
Went for a longer shit at the beginning of the second half to commemorate our performance in the first half, came back, seen 4-0 and thought that somebody played some old match of ours.
Yeah, that´s what I used to call it as well when I was living with my mum.

BestRed

Ah sure its not like United are 22 points behind Liverpool after 16 games.

Oh Wait, they are!!!
Why, were you expecting to be top of the league this year, cause I wasn't. To me feels like theres the potential for a proper United team being built here. Could obviously all go tits up, but I'm more than happy to be patient and support Ole & the team.

ColvaleGoa

Dont see Chong getting a lot more time. He's simply not good enough if you ask me. By far your worst youngster.
I think of all the times he has played, he looked good today. Nothing special but maybe there was no pressure when he got in. He needs some loans and time to mature. He will be half decent player.

RedDevilRoshi

1st half was nothing great. We struggled in the final 3rd to create any major openings. I thought at half time, a boring 0-0 draw looked a certainty.

2nd half, we blew them away in that 15 minute spell in the 2nd half which pretty much stunned AZ and they never recovered at all. Greenwood is just such a natural talented attacker.

Overall a very good result and very good 2nd half performance. Let’s keep it going on Sunday which we will most likely see many of our 1st team players back in the starting XI.

podurban2

How anyone can complain about the first half when you look at the players we started is truly beyond me. Sure, when our first team plays bad, dig in, but when we play our b team and are still better than AZ, come on..

Okey

Getting a nice run going here. Everton, Colchester, Newcastle and Watford to come I believe. No reason it shouldn't carry on. Terrible first half tonight, embarrassing at times. Luckily AZ don't do much with their possession, and we woke up second half. Greenwood continues his journey to stardom. Of the youngsters, Tuanzebe, Williams and Garner not great, but all improved in the second half, as did the whole team. Mata and Matic are on retirement watch, I wish them well in their last days with us. Another clean sheet for Romero, amazing collection he's building. Bring on Everton... Viva United!

BestRed

This team has massive potential. We need to add a few more to the squad but there’s so much talent here. We’ve had a lot of young players over the years such as Macheda and Januzaj, where they had spells of looking good, but you never really quite felt they’d be quite good enough. These young guys now look the real deal. Exciting times ahead.
Spot on mate, couple of the right signings added to this team and we could be back in business.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
`Black socks = selfish pricks. Still we won, so not much to moan about.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I successfully predicted three players in the starting lineup. Feck it, I am on fire.

Lj82

Rooney was a month shy of 19 years when he scored the hat trick. Greenwood became 18 in October.
Ah ok. Great record. Also saw earlier that Greenwood has already outscored Sanchez. As days goes by the decision to let him go is increasingly justified

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
How anyone can complain about the first half when you look at the players we started is truly beyond me. Sure, when our first team plays bad, dig in, but when we play our b team and are still better than AZ, come on..
It's fair to mention it "very poor first half but excellent second half" etc. 9 changes made, lack of match fitness and inexperience in the first team. Overall an excellent performance, no doubt about it. Maybe some people are irationally angry because the usual suspects all had a good game and/or Ole is doing well at the moment? I don't know. I know that even though I don't like a player I'm still overjoyed when they score and I want that player to play well.

Twisted Nerve

I'm sure someone has mentioned this but when was the last time we scored 4 in under 10 minutes?

Alemar

Maybe some people are irationally angry because the usual suspects all had a good game and/or Ole is doing well at the moment?
If you are talking about Mata and Young, how can one be angry when a defender scores a cracking goal, or when a midfielder registers 1G+2A in a match? This is excellent.

This is true that these players are usually shit, but they played extremely well today

On the other hand, talking about Matic, personally I didn't like his performance today. But some others think he played well. The last "usual suspect" is apparently Jones - but he didn't have any work at all today, so it was just a generic 6/10 cameo. A defender came on for 25 minutes, didn't do anything (neither bad nor good), clean sheet - it must be a "six".

always_hoping

The full list of teams United can play in the next round:

APOEL
Copenhagen
Getafe
Sporting Lisbon
Cluj
Eintracht Frankfurt
Rangers
Ludogorets
Wolfsburg
Roma
Club Brugge
Olympiacos
Shakhtar Donetsk
Bayer Leverkusen

Last 4 teams on that list finished 3rd in their champions league group. Who would we like? Shortest trip possible would be ideal and a game v Rangers would be feisty.

ReddBalls

The full list of teams United can play in the next round:

APOEL
Copenhagen
Getafe
Sporting Lisbon
Cluj
Eintracht Frankfurt
Rangers
Ludogorets
Wolfsburg
Roma
Club Brugge
Olympiacos
Shakhtar Donetsk
Bayer Leverkusen

Last 4 finished 3rd in their champions league group. Who would we like? Shortest trip possible would be ideal and a game v Rangers would be feisty.
Rangers, obviously. I'd welcome salt from Gerrard.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If you are talking about Mata and Young, how can one be angry when a defender scores a cracking goal, or when a midfielder registers 1G+2A in a match? This is excellent.

This is true that these players are usually shit, but they played extremely well today

On the other hand, talking about Matic, personally I didn't like his performance today. But some others think he played well. The last "usual suspect" is apparently Jones - but he didn't have any work at all today, so it was just a generic 6/10 cameo. A defender came on for 25 minutes, didn't do anything (neither bad nor good), clean sheet - it must be a "six".
Usual suspects are the ones you picked up on + Pereira.

The anger would be irrational of course but people aren't always in charge of their emotions.

Dante

Average bang
We went up about 5 gears when Martial went off and Greenwood moved to CF. The latter's movement was the catalyst to everything good that we did in the second half.

He looked somewhat like a false 9, though I'll have to rewatch to confirm.

MikeeMike

Scary how bad we were first half. They looked way the better team. Did Martial have a touch in first 30 minutes ??

Also just to say, the atmosphere in the Stretty was unreal. No passion. Four guys in front of us turned up 10 mins after K.O. headed for drinks (?.) 38 mins. reapeared after ,maybe 60 mins, left 80 mins.

I know was kind-off dead game but why bother ..just stay in Pub?
We went up about 5 gears when Martial went off and Greenwood moved to CF. The latter's movement was the catalyst to everything good that we did in the second half.

He looked somewhat like a false 9, though I'll have to rewatch to confirm.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 93% of 229 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 197 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • AZ Alkmaar win
  • Draw