PL L FA Premier League

Bournemouth 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 November 2019

moodyred

Boring football. Lack urgency. When OGS first took over? The principles he mentioned was so straight forward....dont dwell on the ball. Move it forward. Shoot on sight. Now we do exactly the opposite. Why?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Can someone tell me why he's persisting in playing A Young? The boy Brandon Williams came on we created 2 chances , Greenwood hit post, Mctominay had shot saved. I really think Brandon Williams needs to start more games.
He probably thinks (and is likely right) that Williams isn't ready to start two games a week. I'm sure he'll start against Partizan again on Thursday.

The interesting thing will be what happens when Shaw returns. Will it be Williams who rotates with Shaw, with Young dropped down the pecking order? Or will Young continue to play and Williams won't be seen much after that?

Nakhon Phanom

Believe it or not I thought Fred was our best player yesterday which maybe tells you something about the overall performance.
Okay not everything he tried came off but he put in a decent shift and played some good long passes.
In contrast Martial... was he playing?
The problem with both him and Pogba is that they are moody inconsistent players and I wouldn't be fussed if either of them left.
McTominay was his usual hard working self but he had one of those games where nothing seemed to work for him.
Young should never start now we have this promising young lad Williams to fill in at left back.
Pereira just isn't Premiership quality I,m afraid.
Ole... the jury's still out... he can only work with what he's got which is currently about top 8.
Let's hope this Saudi takeover comes to fruition and we can look forward to a brighter future.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The bottom line is that the team played tired.

Sunday-Wed and then Noon start on Saturday. They were always a step behind for most of the match. You only have to compare it with the previous match on wed.

We dont have the squad depth with having a big drop in quality or detrimental to the emerging talent.

Considering that it was the 4th away match in a row, one would expect a blip considering the rebuild and also the lack of depth that we have.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You know, I was thinking the other day - I wonder how many really analyse their game and look to improve every aspect of it? Really study it, more than just going through a few clips with the team as part of training, and then work on it as much as they possibly can. I bet very few. Considering it's the top level and the amount they get paid I don't think it'd be too much to ask, and I bet a lot of people would scoff at the thought of it.

And that's well beyond getting the basics right.
Citius fortius altius

Football at this level is about that milisecond faster, smarter, stronger. Trap a ball? That 1 second faster, half a meter closer matters. Blocking defending heading shooting etc. And a good manager can squeeze that out of their player.

My point is a good manager matters. Better tactics matter. Better instructions and coaching matters. Most of our deadwoods performed great at their previous clubs, becomes shit after they joined us. Why?

For what it's worth my take is that lingard, martial, pogba, rashford are just out of their head thinking they'd made it and probably didnt even bother to analyze their own game. Pogba while still good looks to me as if he's showcasing what he can do, rather than going for what's best to win. Many times I've seen him doing fancy dribbles and stepover against no one, when he's not marked. Seems to me he keeps his stocks high for the next move.

Our problem, one of many is having a spineless manager that's being collectively pissed over by our players.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I can’t help but feel we’re always that bit slower to the ball to our opponents, that bit weaker in the tackle, that much more likely to switch off and leave a player free in the penalty area

McTominay said something the other day about not having an ego and matching your opponents work-rate in games.

Is there something sub-consciously sat in our players minds, whether it’s arrogance, complacency or laziness that just stops us giving that extra 10%?

Take today as an example....look at Josh King’s goal...how easy was that? How easy is it just for an opposition forward to bring the ball down in our box, turn and shoot? Compare that with Steve Cook in the last ten minutes.... twice threw his body in to prevent chances.

Also, go back to Ole’s first 10 games... what was the difference? I would say desire to prove Jose wrong! I distinctly remember the likes of Pogba and Rashford flying around the pitch as if there lives depended on it.

Just to be clear - I’m not saying we’re openly not trying.... but are we giving every last breath, covering every blade, straining every sinew? I’d say not
To be fair though, many of the players were probably tired after such a tight schedule with so much traveling and so many away games, but i think you are on to something here and there is something that is off.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
To be fair though, many of the players were probably tired after such a tight schedule with so much traveling and so many away games, but i think you are on to something here and there is something that is off.
At least we will be getting our fair shakes of home matches coming up in the next few weeks. Contrast that with Arsenal's December.... AFTV will be in full force in Dec.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Only one positive I can find in the game; we kept going at them late in the game. In many previous games, we didn’t even have a shot on target at that stage of matches. I don’t want to state the obvious negatives as many have said it in this thread (more than a few times too).

kerryman

The scoring side is the problem for me as well. Yes we conceded one goal, we should be able to outscore most teams. The midfield is the biggest problem, no creativity to provide for the attackers and very few goals from that area either.
We have scored 10 goals from play in 11 games, nowhere near good enough I'm afraid, with that kind of form we will be lucky to stay in the top half of the table. Our creativity and goal scoring is abysmal!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We have scored 10 goals from play in 11 games, nowhere near good enough I'm afraid, with that kind of form we will be lucky to stay in the top half of the table. Our creativity and goal scoring is abysmal!
If they don't strengthen that midfield and forward line in January I will be extremely worried. To me that will be a sign they aren't really backing Ole as much as they keep saying.

UpWithRivers

Its shocking how many bad goals we concede considering that our defense is supposedly so good.
Yeah we never look like being hammered 3/4 nil but we always look like a calamity away from conceding.
I don't think the players are as bad as they look. We are just an imbalanced team. No width. No RW. No defensive midfielder. No creative midfielder. No number 10.
No plan. No coaching. No tactics.
No option b, c, d. We are too defensive.
Basically I blame Ole for most of this.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Its shocking how many bad goals we concede considering that our defense is supposedly so good.
Yeah we never look like being hammered 3/4 nil but we always look like a calamity away from conceding.
I don't think the players are as bad as they look. We are just an imbalanced team. No width. No RW. No defensive midfielder. No creative midfielder. No number 10.
Now that is pretty imbalanced. :)

M16Red

We are imbalanced, We don't have the players to change anything like a Ibrahimovic. Its weird because after the last game the week before - I was thinking we needed a attacking mid, Right winger and CM.

Now I think we need a CF (Big holdup player), Left winger (left footed) and left back (left footed).

AceUnited

The past few games we had 4 or 5 pages of comments. Good to see the the doom and gloom glory hunter morons are back in full force.

MartinRed

We should have bought Fernandes even If it was a long shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He probably thinks (and is likely right) that Williams isn't ready to start two games a week. I'm sure he'll start against Partizan again on Thursday.

The interesting thing will be what happens when Shaw returns. Will it be Williams who rotates with Shaw, with Young dropped down the pecking order? Or will Young continue to play and Williams won't be seen much after that?
Young will play every important game ahead of Williams as long as he’s at the club. Ole values experience very, very highly.

Williams may play in some cup games when Young has to be rested.

theklr

Would have won (or at least draw) if they were fully rested or we had a fitter/bigger squad. Being tired affects decisions just as much as the body

Needham

Young will play every important game ahead of Williams as long as he’s at the club. Ole values experience very, very highly.

Shame cause Williams looked cocky and feisty during his cameo. And at this point what the feck are we "valuing experience" for?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Seriously?

Ole has already replaced Young with a 21 year old on the other side. Matic has been dropped down to, at best, fourth choice central midfielder. He's sold/loaned Lukaku and Sanchez so that our starting attack is 23 and two 21 year olds. He moved another 21yo into automatic 3rd choice central defender ahead of all our other options (and looked likely to give him a fair chance to win a starting spot). He's been giving a bunch of 17-19 year olds just about as much game time as could be realistically expected (Gomes is the one exception who would be disappointed). I believe we have the lowest average age in the premier league this season.

With all that taken into account, I'm sure Ole would like to keep a bit of experience in the team. But if Williams keeps improving and is comfortably out-performing Young I would expect him to keep getting a decent amount of gametime now and that will only increase as time goes on.

Maticmaker

There was a bit of after the 'Lord Mayor's show' about yesterdays performance.

We've had some good results lately, drew with Liverpool, a good win at Norwich and we had beat Chelsea (Away) mid week, with a good brace from Rashford. No sweat lads its only Bournemouth today, they haven't scored in over 350 hours... perhaps feeling as if we only have to turnup!

It happens far too often, from having no confidence a few weeks ago, to stepping out yesterday with perhaps too much confidence, certainly a lot of 'can't be ar**d' about the performance. Give it a go for twenty minutes, squander a few chances, then suddenly the other team raises their game and we are sunk.

Both Rashford and Martial had a hat size yesterday that's grown in a week. Come on Ole, these two (in particular) are not rookies anymore, they are seasoned professionals, get to grips with this sort of behaviour otherwise the youngsters you are trying to develop will learn bad habits, almost before the are out of nappies (first team wise!)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Only one positive I can find in the game; we kept going at them late in the game. In many previous games, we didn’t even have a shot on target at that stage of matches. I don’t want to state the obvious negatives as many have said it in this thread (more than a few times too).
Have to agree with this. Also thought Ole's subs were good, though perhaps still slightly too late in the game.

End of the day, it was largely a pretty poor performance but the players were tired and I think they had a much more positive attitude like a United team of old at the end there, just not the quality to finish it off. We've always had games under Fergie where the energy wasn't there, but we usually found a way to win anyway. As long as that spirit is there, the youngsters keep developing, and we can add a bit more quality up front and in midfield then I can see something positive happening.

Why we didn't sign Bruno Fernandes and Mandzukic I'll never understand but there you go, maybe in Jan we'll rectify it.

fps

Pereira and Fred wasted good opportunities in the first half, and their goal was a defensive shambles. Ole must be furious. Not replacing Lukaku and Herrera is getting more costly for every week.
Yes and Lingard had a fantastic chance near the end. I’m pretty happy with Ole just want some more good quality recruitment now.

ColvaleGoa

I think having all those away matches had a toll on the players. There was just that little bit urgency missing which we saw in couple of previous matches. This boils down to squad depth mainly not replacing Lukaku and Herrera. Shame it happened in PL game rather than EUropa. We desperately need points in PL .

I am with lot of posters who believe we should have taken a gamble on Fernandes. Hey ho get pissed off with Football till Thursday now..will be back for more pain on Thursday.

Jaap

Bollocks . We are average because our players are average . We had Jose who has won at every club and them players where as shit under him . We need a clear out and thankfully it's began .. Pep couldnt get a turn out of the crap we have
Mourinho had far more quality at United & brought trophies.
You‘re deluded if you think Guardiola wouldn’t do better than Ole at United.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
We have to play with energy and pace, which we did first 15 and last 15, but the rest was tedious and slow. Showed where we lack really, creativity and presence up front, also looked so much better when Williams replaced Young. Get Bruno Fernandes, Erling Haaland and Phillips from Leeds in January now, so those clubs can get replacements in, also sell Pogba and Matic. Possible net spend of £50 million? Would start giving Garner and Gomes (when fit) some minutes in the team, could pay dividends by the end of season.

El Zoido

You‘re deluded if you think Guardiola wouldn’t do better than Ole at United.
Probably not by much. Did you forget already how shit his City team was until he spent £500m and replaced half the squad? Everyone called him the Pep Guardiola is my idol and a lot of people thought he’d quit at the end of the season. And that team was, by some margin, better than the current United side. The hate for Ole has blinded a lot of people. I know it would never happen, but part of me would love to see Klopp at United purely to see the mental gymnastics from Utd fans when he fails to do anything with this shower of shite. I wonder how long before people would start calling him a crap manager and asking for him to be sacked.

I’m not even particularly in defence of Ole, but those so desperate for him to go are going to be sorely disappointed by the next manager that comes in as well.

Sil

Did you watch the match- we're improving! Yes, we need to be more clinical, but at the end of the day you have to realise that the players aren't magicians, they have off days, just like you and me! So please don't be so negative!

Sil

Probably not by much. Did you forget already how shit his City team was until he spent £500m and replaced half the squad? Everyone called him the Pep Guardiola is my idol and a lot of people thought he’d quit at the end of the season. And that team was, by some margin, better than the current United side. The hate for Ole has blinded a lot of people. I know it would never happen, but part of me would love to see Klopp at United purely to see the mental gymnastics from Utd fans when he fails to do anything with this shower of shite. I wonder how long before people would start calling him a crap manager and asking for him to be sacked.

I’m not even particularly in defence of Ole, but those so desperate for him to go are going to be sorely disappointed by the next manager that comes in as well.
I agree with you, changing managers will not improve the situation. We have to get a settled manager and a settled team. Success does not happen over night. So let's be patient , I'm confident that Ole has the right idea and that we'll get back to winning ways soon!

Banana Republic

The Bournemouth goal wouldn't have mattered if we'd been able to score a couple ourselves, particularly if we'd scored early on when we had a bit of energy, carried some threat, were dominating and before Bournemouth woke up.
The main problem is creating proper clear cut chances and scoring goals.
It's not even a problem in the final third, it's the final quarter, in and around the box.
Didn't SAF say, it doesn't matter if the other team score 3, as long as we score 4?

Anyway, the EPL table looks interesting.
The top 4 might be showing signs of breaking away.

There's a 6 point gap between Chelsea (23 pts) in 4th and Arsenal (17 pts) in 5th.
But, there's only 6 points between Arsenal in 5th and Everton (11 pts) in 17th...just above the relegation zone.

Then there's a 3 point gap to Southampton (8 pts) in 18th, but Watford on the bottom are only 3 points behind Southampton.

Utd are 10 points below Chelsea in 4th, but only 8 points above Watford in 20th.
We are 5 points above a relegation place.
Only 2 points above Everton.

Now here's the sobering fact.
If we had lost to Norwich last week, we would now be in 17th (just one place above the relegation zone), but only on goal difference above Norwich in 18th.
That win at Norwich was vital.
A win at Bournemouth was much needed.
We now have to win the next 2 games or we sink back into danger.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Joe Cole: "we didn't know Pereira was (sic) playing"

Could have said the same about most of the team.

Tiddly stadium, tiny crowd and fanbase, minimal resources, squad cost squat, not scored since September......beat United ffs.
Nice soundbite, but in reality we all knew darn well Pereira was playing as he constantly had the ball in acres and was too slow, or too lacking in inspiration to do anything with it.

RuudTom83

No team in the league fears United, and worse still this United team has become used to the feeling of losing, it doesn't even bother them anymore.

Tel074

You‘re deluded if you think Guardiola wouldn’t do better than Ole at United.[/QUOTE

With that squad he would have no hope .. If you bothered reading my post I was talking about the current squad of players

croadyman

Totally agree with all that and because we are so dire creatively, any time we make a defensive mistake and it leads to a goal we end up dropping points because we cannot respond to that setback.

LDUred

We've been playing on Sundays solidly for the last month or so.

Suddenly we're scheduled to play on Saturday and it's away and an early kick-off.

We could have certainly done better but it's not really surprising that the players lacked the tempo Bournemouth had.

ryansgirl

It's not the end of the world and it's no mystery why United lost. Thin squad and too many games in a short period. I actually thought there would be a let-down after the recent highs.

Nevertheless this does tell us what is wrong with Manchester United of 2019. When we had our title winning period with the later Alex Ferguson, Keano, Ryan and Becks would be finishing games against small clubs or in less pressing League Cup fixtures as if they were playing in the last stages of the Champions' League.

Our lads weren't up for the cold and wet Bournemouth conditions, a few didn't fancy it, and that's what happens - you lose a game you should have won. Our squad lacks players with character but at least the previous results showed some of them do have it.

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 353 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Bournemouth 1:2 Man Utd
  • 24% Bournemouth 0:2 Man Utd