PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 5:2 Bournemouth

Post-match discussion

Sat, 04 July 2020

Lee565

First time since fergie was in charge that I feel like the old united was back, under all the other managers post fergie we would have been grinding it to get a win after conceding the first goal and instead it was more like you score 3 and we will score 4 mentality.

Kingcool

It's funny how people here are still trying to put all the blame on Lindelof when it's Maguire costing us a few goals. You all is like Souness when he was blaming Pogba for everything. Is it's because he's English?

Yeah De Gea was supposed to cover the first post at the first goal, but wtf was Maguire doing inside the box and putting De Gea in that position in the first place? 80m getting nutmegged inside the 6y box by a guy who hasn't scored for all season. Sunday league ffs.

alexthelion

No you keep players because of what they have done at the club (and because you want to give players time to regain their form). It amazes me how quickly people want to forget. But as soon as a player entertains the thought of moving on people wanna cry about loyalty... anyway said my peice let's draw a line under it.

----

Watching Rashys post game interview he is so mature and clued up. Proper role model. Proud of him tbh... Good head on his shoulders and he'll go far.
He's had two years of bad performances now, just how long do yo want to give him?

I'm afraid that if he hasn't got better by now he never will.

alexthelion

It's funny how people here are still trying to put all the blame on Lindelof when it's Maguire costing us a few goals. You all is like Souness when he was blaming Pogba for everything. Is it's because he's English?

Yeah De Gea was supposed to cover the first post at the first goal, but wtf was Maguire doing inside the box and putting De Gea in that position in the first place? 80m getting nutmegged inside the 6y box by a guy who hasn't scored for all season. Sunday league ffs.
That would be the Maguire who'd just blocked a shot who then had to scramble to the RB position because AWB was sat on the ground picking his nose. He was trying (unsuccessfully) to cover two positions. Still doesn't mitigate the absolute disaster that was de Gea, leaving a massive gap at the near post and then making himself as small as possible, almost like he didn't want to be hit from such a short range.

Roughseas

We are class all over. Invest the money on Sancho and a world class keeper.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Greenwood bailed us out twice, in vulnerable phases of the match. Absolutely incredible talent.

Thought we were very ropey in defense and quite sloppy overall, but some mitigating factors, what with Bournemouth desperate and probably most of our players pretty drained. Still a very good result, mind.

Was a bit worried when I saw Marcus fall on his back in the first half.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Just heard a stat that surprised me. This is the first time we've scored 5 Premier League goals on Old Trafford since 2011. Against Wigan.

croadyman

Can we ban that journalist who was daft enough to swallow that story about Bruno & Pogba injury, what is the bet that he is either taken off Sunday Supplement tomorrow or they just outlaw anything to do with it totally.

Gordon S

After years of negative risk averse football under LvG and Mourinho it feels unreal to see the team play with so much attacking intent and liveliness! To be able to properly enjoy watching us play again is almost bringing me to tears.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I highlighted this passage of play because I liked the way Matic told Bisakka to momentarily central as United created overload on the left. Look how quickly the left goes from being swamped with players to Shaw losing his man.

cyril C

Horror show at the back, luckily it was Bournemouth with plenty of holes, and Greenword shine.

meamth

I don't give a damn if we were behind because of silly mistakes and after the game talk shit like it matters the most.

Yeah we conceded, errors made, but who fecking cares? We won and scored 5 goals.

De gea made mistakes? Maguire? Lindelof? Don't care one bit.

boxykronikle

I really thought it was an almost a 5 star display from the lads. Brainfart moments for the 1st Bournemouth goal and I do think we were wrongly judged for their second. It looked like it was more to shoulder than the arm.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Another good win.
Five goals.
Mason hits 2!
Bruno scores again.
Rashy scores.
Screamer from Tony.
Entertainment!
First goal was Maguire's fault by the way.

PitTon

You don't want to see mistakes but they for sure have to happen sooner or later. And there is no better time to make and learn from mistakes like in the game we won comfortably. So Im "happy" that we conceded goals that were not costly but having a wakeup effect on the team and players.

Kingcool

That would be the Maguire who'd just blocked a shot who then had to scramble to the RB position because AWB was sat on the ground picking his nose. He was trying (unsuccessfully) to cover two positions. Still doesn't mitigate the absolute disaster that was de Gea, leaving a massive gap at the near post and then making himself as small as possible, almost like he didn't want to be hit from such a short range.
De Gea shouldn't even have to make a save there if Maggie would have done his job. Fact.
For a CB to move around in his own box is just a part of his job, it's not covering other players positions.

Pavl3n

Another good win.
Five goals.
Mason hits 2!
Bruno scores again.
Rashy scores.
Screamer from Tony.
Entertainment!
First goal was Maguire's fault by the way.
And AWB being slow to get up and cover.
Second was a combined error between Matic and Baily. The former's passing didn't look as sharp, as it was before and he stitched Baily whose brain fart came in the worst moment.
Lindelof was subbed as his pace wasn't match for Stanislas. Even though Victor closed him on the few occasions #19 broke on the counter in our defensive third, Ole wanted the ball the be won back in the birth of their attack and that's why he brought the quicker Baily.

Strelok

After years of negative risk averse football under LvG and Mourinho it feels unreal to see the team play with so much attacking intent and liveliness! To be able to properly enjoy watching us play again is almost bringing me to tears.
Yeah fantastic isn't it. Both Shaw and AWB were up there attacking most of the time. Anytime Bournemouth was on the counter I could see only Lindelof/Bailly, Maguire and sometime Matic at the back :lol:

This is Manchester United :devil:

Lentwood

What worries me about this team is complacency. I actually thought half the team where poor yesterday and where bailed out by our attackers and the fact we where facing a poor side low on confidence.

You just cannot afford to concede two goals in the manner we did at any level. It seemed like some of the players weren’t switched on.

Also, as I said last year, David De Gea is the worst keeper in the league

Josep Dowling

Looking back at the highlights this morning VAR was an absolute joke.

The Bailly handball. The Rashford offside. Checking for an offside when Bruno scores direct from the freekick. The time it took for every single decision.

Why do they have to wait until next season to change some of the VAR rules? It’s so fecking stupid when it’s clearly not working.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Loyalty? Am I the only one who remembers the fax machine?
And yeah lets keep players on just because they have been here for a long time. We should recall Smalling while we are it. He's been loyal too.
People need to be calm about De Gea. It's in our interest to rally round him and trust in him. Selling players effects players. No one in that dressing room thinks De Gea is past it at his age. No one. You breed loyalty, by being loyal. Even though he would have left, he signed a contract despite people wanting him to go back to Spain. He wasn't just here by himself. So we help him by getting him back to getting the basics down. De Gea is valuable to the club. Valuable to the supporters and to the defenders in front of him. So we should let them sort it out between themselves rather then focusing on De Gea. As supporters, we need to help him overcome this because he should have many years in him left. If that means, re-coaching his style? Then we do that. We don't just shove him out the door or bench him.

Maybe De Gea isn't happy with the defense and is having a crisis of confidence. Whatever it is, there are a lot more goalkeepers worse then De Gea in his current form then ones who are better so we just need to not create a story out of these things. He's 29. There's no doubt his performance for Spain seems to have hurt him.

Last edited:

theklr

Think we were too cocky the first half hour or so, after those good games beforehand.

Happy to see that Ole and/or the players got themselves focused again. Very different mentality then earlier in the season.

wolvored

It ws an exciting match right up to the end, which is exactly what we want,. winning by scoring loads of goals. Good quality goals as well.
We have got loads of clean sheets and occasionally shit happens. Saying that the 2nd goal was ridiculous in how it came about with the panic around our box though.
The only thing that would have made it perfect was another goal (or 2) in the last half hour. I kept expecting it, but it wasnt to be.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
That Rashford offside is bollocks

We look brilliant and some players still aren’t even playing to the best of their ability yet. The aforementioned Rashford being a case of that.

wolvored

And AWB being slow to get up and cover.
Second was a combined error between Matic and Baily. The former's passing didn't look as sharp, as it was before and he stitched Baily whose brain fart came in the worst moment.
Lindelof was subbed as his pace wasn't match for Stanislas. Even though Victor closed him on the few occasions #19 broke on the counter in our defensive third, Ole wanted the ball the be won back in the birth of their attack and that's why he brought the quicker Baily.
Ole said he took him off as he was injured

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

We look brilliant and some players still aren’t even playing to the best of their ability yet. The aforementioned Rashford being a case of that.
Exactly. He was 3 pixels offside. I would love to be the wanker who draws lines in VAR replays.

MrBest

Defence looked shaky, Maguire had an awful game as did De Gea and Lindeloff. When Bailey came on, it looked like a disaster but after 5 minutes we settled better and his pace was needed to help cover Maguire. Overall, I was most impressed with the mentality to recover from being 1 down and secondly, the urge and hunger to attack. Bruno has transformed us in many ways. Most notably, we no longer need to play lingard or andreas, his never stop running attitude is infectious and the number of forward passes he plays. For the first time in 7 years, I look forward to really watching us play. If we concede, I am not sitting nervous that we will not attack. I was adamant Ole was not the man before. Now I hold my hands up and say, could he be? There is still a lot of work to do to get where we should be but Ole has removed the dead wood and the sulkers, benched the average and got us playing some great football.

MrBest

People need to be calm about De Gea. It's in our interest to rally round him and trust in him. Selling players effects players. No one in that dressing room thinks De Gea is past it at his age. No one. You breed loyalty, by being loyal. Even though he would have left, he signed a contract despite people wanting him to go back to Spain. He wasn't just here by himself. So we help him by getting him back to getting the basics down. De Gea is valuable to the club. Valuable to the supporters and to the defenders in front of him. So we should let them sort it out between themselves rather then focusing on De Gea. As supporters, we need to help him overcome this because he should have many years in him left. If that means, re-coaching his style? Then we do that. We don't just shove him out the door or bench him.

Maybe De Gea isn't happy with the defense and is having a crisis of confidence. Whatever it is, there are a lot more goalkeepers worse then De Gea in his current form then ones who are better so we just need to not create a story out of these things. He's 29. There's no doubt his performance for Spain seems to have hurt him.
Firstly, he signed a new deal because he is easily the best paid keeper in the world, possibly top 20 footballer too. I think he is attached to the club but money talks.

Secondly, age in football is not always the best variable. He started young, 18, and has been playing first team since then. That is already the average playing time for a keeper. Most keepers cement there spot between 21 and 25. De Gea bloomed early. Only some keepers have played from a young age to a old age and at the top level. Buffon and Neur come to mind. Look at Joe Hart, was Englands number one, great keeper but career spiralled downwards quickly at 30.

Now I'm not saying that will happen to De Gea, and I hope this 2 year blip is just a blip, but he should never think of himself as safe. I would love Henderson to come back and challenge him for one season to see what happens. We could get a new De Gea out of it. Look how Shaw reacted to Williams emergence.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Firstly, he signed a new deal because he is easily the best paid keeper in the world, possibly top 20 footballer too. I think he is attached to the club but money talks.

Secondly, age in football is not always the best variable. He started young, 18, and has been playing first team since then. That is already the average playing time for a keeper. Most keepers cement there spot between 21 and 25. De Gea bloomed early. Only some keepers have played from a young age to a old age and at the top level. Buffon and Neur come to mind. Look at Joe Hart, was Englands number one, great keeper but career spiralled downwards quickly at 30.

Now I'm not saying that will happen to De Gea, and I hope this 2 year blip is just a blip, but he should never think of himself as safe. I would love Henderson to come back and challenge him for one season to see what happens. We could get a new De Gea out of it. Look how Shaw reacted to Williams emergence.
Sure money talks and if he signed for Madrid, he'd want similar wages. I'm thinking from the perspective of the players. We are not the owners. We know. He knows. It's up to the club to sort this out. I know what you are saying but these mistakes are concentration as much as anything else. Focus. The one yesterday, he just should have been closer to the post then he was. I'm not anti Henderson and I'd like him back at the club on the bench rather then Romero actually but Neville was right when he said playing for Sheffield United isn't playing for United. As soon as he makes a mistake, people are going to question him. Mistakes are inevitable but also De Gea is worth a lot of money to the club.

Down the years we've seen fragments appear when we sold Stam and Beckham. I think the club should focus on De Gea in the summer and get the basics right and take it from there. Because people say two years...but he's not been dropping the ball for two years. He's had good moments in that time. We just need to ensure our defenders don't make silly mistakes. A goalkeeper wants to trust the defenders and vise versa. But yesterdays goal, was just not securing the near post. A bad mistake rather then anything else but he will know that.

Tribec

I'm probably one of not many that wonders what De Gea could have done with the first goal yesterday. Once Sanislas got past Maguire he had two or three players coming into the box to pass to and had a clear pass to any of them. De Gea was slightly cheating by being where he was, but he was in a position to cut out the cross. Had he stayed on the post the ball gets placed across and it's a goal. It was a no win situation for him.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What worries me about this team is complacency. I actually thought half the team where poor yesterday and where bailed out by our attackers and the fact we where facing a poor side low on confidence.

You just cannot afford to concede two goals in the manner we did at any level. It seemed like some of the players weren’t switched on.

Also, as I said last year, David De Gea is the worst keeper in the league
He wasn't even the worst keeper on the pitch yesterday. :confused:

Also, watch Kepa try to claim a corner if you want a good laugh.

Bestietom

It is fantastic to see us play like this again. Can't wait to be able to go to games again.

BestRed

Thats the thing, as good as we're looking right now, the potential in this team is massive, and thats without even adding the likes of Sancho to the mix. Exciting times ahead cause these boys are only getting started.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 81% of 383 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 371 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw