PL W FA Premier League

Brentford 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 19 January 2022

Teja

To be fair to them they played some tough fixtures, Liverpool, City, Utd, Villa and Brighton. Would be hard for most teams.
Yep agreed, think they'll be fine come end of season.

Shimo

Did we really get smashed in the first half like Frank said? Our own sloppy play gave the chances. First chance - stupid by Dalot, which then lead to a couple of corners that lead to dangerous moments and then as usual limp corners with zero chance to score, we have everyone up and make it easy to break - literally all season, teams have a better chance of scoring from corners we take than we do from them. But, otherwise they really were not a threat to me, we just didn't do anything either with all our possesion.

Second half we upped our intensity, Scott going into overdrive helped set the tone, which finally let our quality come to the fore (missed last 20, so not sure how it all ended).

For me though DDG was def MOTM since they did have 3 very good chances and he kept us in the game.

Elated for Elanga and maybe RR can extend same to VDB in the next game, play him instead of Fred who was rather sloppy outside of pass to Elanga.

Rashford really needed that goal - I mean really did because he didn't even seem that thrilled and it took Scott dragging him to really feel it. Hopefully it can lead to him play a little more freely and more enthusiasm but, Greenwood/Elanga should keep their places for now.

Nordmore

Thank God for Brentford's Championship-tier finishing, is all I have to say.
Bang on and thanks DDG for his super saves, again.

The performance was basically shite until the goal. Anyway it's a win so no more complain. Bruno was pretty good until his Welbeck level chip. Elanga deserves another start. Happy both Greenwood and Rashford scored. They'd really need a goal.

McT or DDG MOTM. Hope McT's injury is not serious.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
First half we controlled the ball yet played too narrow and did not challenge for second balls. That allowed them to sit deep and compact. To by pass the midfield and use their dominance of second balls to exploit our high line and create numerous shooting opportunities.

Second half what changed was our fullbacks were clearly instructed to stay very wide, our wide forwards encouraged to start from very wide to run in, as cr7 dropped deep. Then contested every second ball. Their system of 5 at the back and exploiting second balls rightly couldn't survive and we over came them quickly

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
First half was a bit too open and passive, second half was close to complete domination.
McT looked imperious, Greenwood and Bruno working well, and Ronaldo dropping deep and causing havoc with his simple lay offs.
Personally, I think Brentford put everything into that first half and had nothing left in the second.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Obviously a far better second half than first and I couldn't understand some people here attacking Scotty McT - I thought he played well, breaking up Brentford attacks, getting an important foot in, driving forward at times. I also have to question those who moaned about Elanga, again I thought he did well, giving us width and driving at the Brentford defence.

I have mixed feelings about the Ronaldo substitution: he was starting to affect the game more but we did need to shore up the defence after what happened against Villa and Maguire looked pretty secure in the closing 15 minutes; maybe I'd have taken Greenwood off instead but the move worked and that's what's important.

We took our goals well and attacked with some pace which was nice to see and Lindelof (another to be criticised here for some reason) was pretty much faultless with Varane having a better game without yet looking anything near world class, and Telles and Dalot (who I thought was excellent in defence, which is the main point of a defender) are a better bet than Shaw and AWB.

If we can beat West Ham on Saturday (far from a certainty), I'll begin to think we have founds some level of consistency...

As for Bruno's miss at the end... well, that was horrible

Redlyn

Looking at all the tweets, very small time. Comes across like he stole his teenage son's post match statement. Giddy with failure. DDG didn't make a single great save for all their "smashing".

Ixion

They didn't smash us in the first half. It was basically us having 70% of the possession and for 35 minutes passing it around too slowly and then from some mistakes they had a 5 minute spell around 10 minutes in with a bunch of chances, and a break from one of our corners. The first half was pretty lifeless aside from those spells.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Looking at all the tweets, very small time. Comes across like he stole his teenage son's post match statement. Giddy with failure. DDG didn't make a single great save for all their "smashing".
He was right though. Had they scored twice in the first half it would have been fair.

It’s poor game management to invest that amount of energy into one half, half the side was shot from 60 mins onwards, but had they been 2-0 up they may have held out.

crossy1686

career ending
Smashed us? I thought it was more our shitness and mistakes that let them in more than anything they did? We couldn't make a 5 yard pass in the first half.

Redlyn

He was right though. Had they scored twice in the first half it would have been fair.

It’s poor game management to invest that amount of energy into one half, half the side was shot from 60 mins onwards, but had they been 2-0 up they may have held out.
It's not really about being right. It's using words like smashed, destroyed, killed. Like you are sitting in a pub with your mates. It's small time. Talking about being only one winner like games are decided on 1 half of football, where your team can't hit a barn door.

MartinRed

RR(to Maguire):Come on skipp, protect that clean sheet!
Maguire:Sorry, I don't do that here.

Abraxas

I thought Brentford played very well in the first half. Their manager is going a bit over the top of course, it always looks a bit silly coming out with statements like that after you get beat.

But we definitely improved second half. I don't know why these players always need to be stirred into life. They seem to have no initiative or smarts about them in terms of setting their own standards and performing. Why does everything require the manager to go into them or to concede, or to be getting outplayed for long periods? Not everything has to come from the bloody manager.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Game of two halves, as has been the case for years for us. Bar the clusterfcuk of a goal we looked so much more fluid and dangerous on the attack.

Really need to get out of this "slow start" mentality and absolutely gun at opponents from the off. Allowing them to ease in for the 1st 5-10 minutes just gets us off balance.

Maticmaker

Poor showing first half, except for DeGea, lot better second Scott McT MOTM. Good goals well taken all three, now for West Ham!!

IRN-BRUno

Decent 2nd half. There's been glimpses of improvement in this game and Villa last weekend so hopefully that continues.

Good performances from several but I thought Lindelof just shaded the MoM. Elanga had a quieter game but took his goal well and pleased to see Rashford get back on the scoresheet.

lex talionis

Dave…The Man, once again. I’m sure we’ve got the stats here to back it up, but I’m sure Dave tops the MOTM leader board this season.

Once Dave saved our season in the first half, we pulled it together in the second half and deserved victory. Patchy work in midfield. If it’s not clear by now to the senior executives at the club McTominay is more effective as an 8 than a 6 it never will be and we’ll be stuck in second gear only celebrating wins over clubs like Brentford.

Born2Lose

We were very lucky last night considering we are the first team to go to Brentfod all season and need our goalie to have to save a shot...

In all seriousness, a much better performance, after dropping a few players it seems RR's building a team which won't get bullied as easily and is a little more resistant to being pressed than previously.

Elanga's rise and the trust RR is showing in him makes me a lot more optimistic about the future of this team.

USREDEVIL

Great game to watch as once we got the first goal we started to really look good. First half was partially them being up for it and playing well, and us being too slow. Second half we completely changed and i think it was a lot to do with Scott making really impressive forward runs. I think Dalot has won me over. He is quick on defense and while he doesn't have the go-go-gadget legs of the Spider, he seems to be very effective. Great to see Elanga get his goal as he was due.

Hughie77

Not aggressive enough in first half called them lazy bastards, and they were. More aggressive in 2nd half less chance of opposition winning the ball back, less chance of the opposition getting chances out of not passing correctly. As for Frank's comments the guys deluded and no wonder why he was the most hated manager in the Championship. The chances they had were created by Utds errors and most of our goals and chances against are in the same manner.

2nd half that was cut out and they created 1 chance from a non football long throw, they have plenty of endeavour as a unit , lack of quality cost them goals . They scored 3 against the scum in the same way by forcing errors , difference was last night they couldn't take them against a top keeper.

USREDEVIL

Not aggressive enough in first half called them lazy bastards, and they were. More aggressive in 2nd half less chance of opposition winning the ball back, less chance of the opposition getting chances out of not passing correctly. As for Frank's comments the guys deluded and no wonder why he was the most hated manager in the Championship. The chances they had were created by Utds errors and most of our goals and chances against are in the same manner.

2nd half that was cut out and they created 1 chance from a non football long throw, they have plenty of endeavour as a unit , lack of quality cost them goals . They scored 3 against the scum in the same way by forcing errors , difference was last night they couldn't take them against a top keeper.
Frank is the smallest manager in the premiership. Pathetic.
"killed them" "destroyed them" "Incredibly lucky" jeez

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 305 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Brentford 1:2 Man Utd