PL W FA Premier League

Brentford 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 19 January 2022

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Very average first half, Ronaldo and Bruno started to come alive a bit 2nd half and then a really nice opening goal from *checks notes* Elanga, assisted by *checks notes* Fred?! Everyone did ok apart from Fred and Maguire who were genuinely atrocious, Fred's superb assist aside. Well done Rangnick for shaking them up at half time though, that's a good sign at least, and a good win overall. Dalot's defending was really superb as well, albeit his crossing in the first half was woeful. Still gave him an 8, him and McT best players for me.

Wing Attack Plan R

Progress!
Ralf-ball is working.
If we could just eliminate our sloppy passes things would be a lot easier for us, we are again our own worst enemy.
All 3 of our goals were quality, the signs of things starting to click.
Defense was good, Dalot and Telles put in good shifts.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If Brentford had taken their early chances we wouldn't have had 3 points from this.

Better performance in the second half but we are so far away from having a sturdy defensive line with 3 at the back. Maguire should ideally never see a football again

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It takes a certain level of shiteness to come on three quarters into a football game and end up being one of the worst performers. Maguire :lol:
Why do you feel the need to moan after a win? Lots of positives, but you have to zero in on a (perceived) negative

AndyMUFC

Great result, second half was much more like it after the usual in the first.

McTominay and De Gea were the standouts and Elanga made an impact again with the goal.

Ixion

The first half we had most of the possession bar a couple of really ropey spells but it wasn't some incessant onslaught. It was mostly us passing it around too slowly for 35 minutes and them having some good spells in the other 10.

cyberman

BT about to stick the boot in. Time to turn this baiting shit off

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We have won a game of football!
We put the ball in the net more times than the other team put the ball in the net!

First half was bloody terrible, second half much better. But we still need to improve. We're best when we're actively trying to run the ball forward, so we need to stop this statue shite we keep pulling where we hope the oppos will fall over and let us get passed them. We're being hit hard on the counter anyway so we might as well take a chance and just try running through them from time to time.

Like McTominay tonight. Bloody brilliant. Never said a bad word about the cnut in my life :nervous:

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Three fantastic goals, good second half, still need more... the last 10 minutes were warring, we don't know how to close games even when we are 3-0 up .

I don't know why we needed Maguire. Perhaps Ralf wanted to help him gain confidence, but it didn't work that way.
Probably because Brentford would be likely to heave balls into the box, we needed more aerial presence.
Think the team that started the match, if all fit, should start the next game.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
1st half as bad as I've seen us. 2nd half decent.

McT thrives against these horrible physical teams who hack their way around the midfield, he's a proper beast carrying the ball.

Maguire is now officially 3rd choice CB
He's 4th choice for me, woeful when he came on. I'd have way more confidence in Jones if he's fit.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Very happy with that. Really good second half, Let's keep improving.

Hope Scott isn't badly injured. He's my MOTM tonight.

always_hoping

Good win in a venue where Man City, Chelsea only won 1-0 in and Liverpool drew 3-3.

Three academy players with the goals. Disappointing that a clean sheet wasn't kept but can't say Brentford didn't deserve at least one goal in that match.

Hopefully Mctominay injury isn't too serious, he'll be needed v West Ham next.

Abysmal first half. And that's being kind.

Much, much better in the second half. We got lucky on the first goal and it kind of killed Brentford's spirit.
What was lucky about the first goal? Was a brilliant piece of play. If that was Cancelo passing it to Sterling people would be jizzing.

A-man

Great second half. It was depressing when our midfield couldn’t take control in first half, but it always felt as the way Brentford stepped up would 1. cost them goals as the space behind the backline was wide open and 2. no way they could run like that for 90 minutes.

stu_1992

Great second half, easily the best half under Rangnick so far. Wasn't expecting it after an extremely poor first half so I was very pleasantly surprised.

Great to see all homegrown players score. In the case of Greenwood and Rashford probably badly needed and hopefully gives them the confidence to go on a run. Second half Fernandes was fantastic too after a great previous game so hopefully that's a sign he's returning to his super human form. Was pleased to see Elanga get a goal and justify his selection. I'm hoping he can push on from here.

Have to shout out De Gea as without his first half saves, there is no win. Shame we couldn't keep the clean sheet in the end. That was frustrating. It doesn't look great for Maguire that we only conceded after he was brought on to see the game out.

edgecutter

Happy with the win, but we were putrid at times. Could easily been a few down before half time.

talking robot

I missed the first 30 minutes, but from what I saw it was excellent tonight. AWB, Maguire, Rashford, and Shaw were out of the team and there replacements have added quality into the team. Kudos to the management for their role in that. Moving Fernandes into a deeper role with more responsibility defensively and with ball retention also seems like a net positive.

The substitute appearances for Rashford and Maguire were decent, but I also like the fact that they have to earn their spot in the team.

Very happy for Elanga. What a goal, and he is exactly what this team has been missing in terms of his discipline and application.

That's two decent performances in a row, at least in large chunks. Now the question becomes whether this can be done over 90 minutes and consistently.

arthurka

Telles is awful and Harry came on and we conceded, other than that a very good seconds half. Ronaldo can really do one with his fecking brat like tantrums. Good to see Rashford score and great to see McT drag him to celebrate with the fans and smile.

RedIan

Not good enough in the first half, didn’t come close to matching Brentford’s effort and desire. DDG saved us yet again more than once as we strolled about.
second half we raised our intensity and took the game to Brentford from the off, once we scored you could visibly see confidence levels come up..
sensible subs by RR to see the game out.

DDG, Scott and Dalot our best players today.

its a start.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
BT about to stick the boot in. Time to turn this baiting shit off
Good idea. Wish more fans would turn off more as soon as the game is over. The press is toxic and we really don't need any more negative crap.

Red_Aaron

Some really nice goals
McT, Bruno, lindelof and Dalot played very well I thought

Still giving up huge amounts of chances, we're not conceding as much and yet somehow I'm not convinced we're actually defending any better

Great 3 points overall though

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The shitness of the first half is being a little exaggerated. Brentford away is a tough fixture and they’ve given lots of big sides a hard time. We did give away some soft chances but we actually controlled the game quite well. We had something like 68% possession at half time. Compared to some of the legitimately shit performances in 2022 so far even the first half was an improvement.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What was lucky about the first goal? Was a brilliant piece of play. If that was Cancelo passing it to Sterling people would be jizzing.
Yes, and a complete anomaly based on what we'd seen so far. Brentfor had all the chances in the first half and we were garbage.

We're also lucky that the chance fell to Elanga and not one of our other forwards who've been playing with zero desire for weeks. The kid showed a lot of hunger to keep after the ball and put it away.

Aint gota Kalou

DDG, Dalot, McTominay and Bruno were our best players. The others decent.

First half we did the typical thing we do where we made lots of unforced errors but sorted it out second half.

BigRon1985

Brentford are really strong at home so made the result all that more satisfying!

Nice to see Rashford score but wish he would smile a bit?

Ronaldo acting like a toddler having a tantrum - pathetic!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Why do you feel the need to moan after a win? Lots of positives, but you have to zero in on a (perceived) negative
Simply because these are games you expect to win. Ask DDG if he's happy we conceded a goal tonight.

MrSingh2002

I think it's a shame it looks like Pogba is leaving as adding him to this lineup could be very good under Ralf.

Adding a midfielder that can pass changes everything.

Elanga and Greenwood have to start. Hopefully Cavani has a run with those two upfront.

Rashford, Sancho and Ronaldo need the wake up call for abit longer yet. Glad Ralf is showing he can take them off if not playing well and also drop them from the squad altogether.

Monger

Thought McSauce was Motm. Playing as a hold midfielder as well. Very impressed tonight. If he can play like that next week will be the key against tougher opposition.

Rustyspider13

Great second half. Very pleased for Elanga, well deserved. Fantastic to see three academy lads scoring. McT bossed that midfield in the second half and Fred did his part with the wonderful assist. Dalot much better than against Villa.

But the goals just emphasize that we need better defensive midfielders. If McFred played that well every game, we wouldn't. But they don't, so we do. They are great squad options, especially in the B2B role, pair one of them with an actual DM and not each other, we'll see more of their attacking strengths.

One more thing to highlight is just how much of a confidence team we are. It looked like a different team was playing out there from the first goal to the third. Ralf was right to bring a sports psychologist in, because our bunch clearly need it. Also, we could've easily scored another (Bruno certainly should've) if we didn't panic in defense and make a good pass into the channel instead of hoofing it. It'll be a great test for these players against West Ham, I hope they can carry this second half form into that match. But for tonight, well done United.

frutti di mare

Slowly slowly the signs of us improving as a team are appearing and lasting longer during each match. Usually it’s the first 15 minutes before we turn to crap, last week Vs AV it was the first 30 minutes. Today we started badly, took control after about 15 minutes but didn’t create, then had a few sloppy moments in the second half, but for the majority of the match we were in control and you can see the coaching side of our play coming through Vs the previous freestyle of the previous manager

Alemar

Frank is really really taking the piss in the post match interview. So bitter

diarm

Your man on BT:
Man United still reliant on moments of brilliance like Ronaldo's chest pass or Fred's pass to get goals.
Err... yeah. Football teams in relying on good passes to score goals shocker.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 305 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Brentford 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Brentford 0:2 Man Utd