PL W FA Premier League

Brentford 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 19 January 2022

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yeah, you're right and they definitely need someone to support them. Unfortunately Matic is the current option and he's just too slow isn't he?
Yes, he was slow three seasons ago, and I don't think he is a genuine DM, as some people like to think. I said it when José was in charge that he seems to let players run past him into the box on too many occasions, and still does. It was Matic that failed to cut out the cross when Villa scored their equaliser, hadn't the pace to catch him up, mind you Telles failed to track Coutinho also, so poor really.

Teja

He's cracking isn't he? 5 losses in the past six games in the league.

Shame, I like Brentford, hope they turn it around. They have Wolves, City, Palace and Arsenal. Can't see them winning a lot in the next four either, maybe they'll beat Arsenal and do us a favor.

Glorio

Does he know an academy player scored the opening goal of the game? I like this guy normally, but United seem to get everyone’s backs up.
How much did the 3 scorers against his team cost in total again? Weirdly the grand total of zero, and thus, I'm 100% sure is less expensive than his forward line! (no one mention salaries though :lol: )

Nogbadthebad

The comments about a lad who was, I beleive, out of the squad because of a family bereavement, are shockingly bad, and he should have a warning for it.

Overall, a good step on the way to playing ourselves into some form. Shaky in the first half, the midfield are still not good enough at protecting the defence when we don't have the ball, but as they tired we used the space well second half.

I thought the way rashford took his chance was encouraging, he's been second guessing himself a lot when playing badly, and he's always at his best when its instinctive like that one.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The comments about a lad who was, I beleive, out of the squad because of a family bereavement, are shockingly bad, and he should have a warning for it.

Overall, a good step on the way to playing ourselves into some form. Shaky in the first half, the midfield are still not good enough at protecting the defence when we don't have the ball, but as they tired we used the space well second half.

I thought the way rashford took his chance was encouraging, he's been second guessing himself a lot when playing badly, and he's always at his best when its instinctive like that one.
What’s this about?

captaincantona

It really does come down to work rate, fitness and how to react off the ball at this point. We have quality on the ball...that side of it will click...but too many times we surrender momentum by virtue of the fact that we are simply not arsed- no desire, no aggression, no fight for those 50/50’s and second balls. We make other teams look good...not because they are particularly good or are playing with fantastic intensity...but because we make it easy for them to build up a head of steam. Brentford were not good first half...zero quality on the ball...but tbh we only took momentum in the second because they ran out of juice. We can’t rely on other teams tiring so much.

Posh Red

This

He sounded very bitter, but I don’t think this in particular is meant to be offensive or anything. I think he was just emphasising that even with top players missing, United are still able to put a decent side out.

A less than classy interview, but nothing more than that for me.

MrBest

Mctominay MoM for me. Funny he was getting slack pre match and he was our best player tonight. immense.
I thought he did well going forward, 2 of the goals he did brilliantly to win back possession and the get ball forward but i really dont think he should be playing anywhere near the dm role, he feels more like a box to box player. Id give him a 7 today and believe me i am no fan of this guy. Well done to him.

reds_fan_aus

Supports
Napoli
Conceded after Maguire came on…. :angel:
Spot on. He created nothing but confusion at the back. Provided nothing going forward. Will someone please tell him knocking 30 yard balls forward only look good if you hit your target! I haven't seen one of his long range passes hit a target ever. Just shows how lazy he is by hitting a long ball over the midfield and not looking for the short possession pass.

Nogbadthebad

He sounded very bitter, but I don’t think this in particular is meant to be offensive or anything. I think he was just emphasising that even with top players missing, United are still able to put a decent side out.

The lad is out because he was at a family funeral today.

Absolutely no need to mention him at all.

MrBest

I really like him, he's crazy and very very demanding. However, someone should remind him that this is the premier league, anything can happen (look at Spurs today), and statistics in games like this mean nothing. Oh more importantly, if hes going to turn around this losing run he is on, he should know that football is a game of two halves. We paid the consequences against Villa, they paid the consequences today.

NICanRed

Should learn to keep his mouth shut when being interviewed and when chewing.

SuperiorXI

One thing to take away tonight is that all 3 pf our goals were from our academy graduates. McTominay also had a stormer.

Who needs these hundreds of thousands of pounds a week wasters :drool:

bucky

Someone needs to explain to him, that having a good goalkeeper, who's there to prevent you from conceding, is not being lucky, he's just part of the team and not some random luck factor. Them not taking their chances is what he should focus on.

Stig

Bruno was quite good. Ronaldo isn’t really working out too well for us.
For the last 2 games Bruno has been a lot more careful with the ball, no no-look passes and flicks. It has made a big difference, and he has come back at speed to defend.

oreon

Top 4 is achievable and this season can be saved.

The immediate problems are the midfield and the constant individual mistakes especially in defense. The individual mistakes are fixable, keep Maguire on the bench and everyone else just needs to be careful in possession. As for the midfield, UTD need to go and spend on a freaking holding midfielder. If you add Pogba and a proper holding midfielder, this team can go on a run. All the teams competing for the 4th seed are as flawed as UTD. It's a matter of who will go on a winning streak to clinch it.

No need to throw away the season. But without a incoming midfielder, might as well

arthurka

He's cracking isn't he? 5 losses in the past six games in the league.

Shame, I like Brentford, hope they turn it around. They have Wolves, City, Palace and Arsenal. Can't see them winning a lot in the next four either, maybe they'll beat Arsenal and do us a favor.
To be fair to them they played some tough fixtures, Liverpool, City, Utd, Villa and Brighton. Would be hard for most teams.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yea i agree. Was saying this at half time when so many posters were saying we need to sack rangnick. We had control for about half of the first half. Granted without creating much.

Much better in the second half obviously but i bet rangnick will say in the post match presser that we still need better control.
Yes, @Pogue Mahone said what I was thinking. First half was an exercise in taming the beast. Yes it was a struggle at times, yes Dave saved us. But it was a cauldron- they are exceptionally well coached and hyper-Motivated. So we kept to system, kept shape, were in control quite a bit. It was like watching their super enthusiasm slowly get suffocated. That’s Ralf’s game. Believe.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Frank was correct. They were high intensity first half, should have gone in at least two up. They didn’t score. Then fell apart and ran out of steam in the second half.

We were lucky to go into the break on level terms. But not lucky to win.

frutti di mare

Might have already been mentioned but the funniest was Rangnick forgetting Bruno Fernandes’ name and then not realising the interview was live and asking to restart it

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It was still a shit on a stick performance where we were fortunate to get a win. Until the performance level rises we will continue to get patchy results. It's hard to get too excited when in reality we continue to go sideways with no real improvement.
Raméis. That’s rubbish in Irish. Fortunate? That’s actually two performances where there’s a bit of shape emerging. Not perfect, by any stretch. But good by everyone involved; and doing things as a team. I just realised I think Bruno is my favourite United player. Well done Elanga.
McT powerful too.

DaveinToronto

One step at a time, Top 4 is still achievable and Chelsea could be collapsed due to injuries.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Pretty cool seeing all 3 goalscorers from the Academy. Much needed confidence boost now hopefully for Greenwood and Rashford and Bruno looked much more like himself in the second half.

Also Brentfords manager is an idiot.

Big Andy

Bloke
1st half was dreadful. 2nd half actually good. Set pieces still dreadful.

I think it's clear that we aren't actually any better with Ronaldo in the team. Leave him to be a squad player/impact sub, or use him as a wide forward. He's never been a central striker and struggled in that role even in his peak. No point doing it now other than to mask his inactivity.
Struggled as a main striker at his peak? The man has scored 800+ goals, I’d say he’s pretty fecking good at it tbh

RazorOz

This is simply not what happened. First half Brentford were all over us, as is their style, but they didn’t take their chances. 2nd half we were comfortably the better side and if Bruno had not fluffed his shot, 4 goals to nil would not have been unfair, it was a good performance. Some players are still not back to their best, but many who were looking shot (like Rashford) had good games. Maguire is still a disaster though, and we need Shaw back.
In no world was this a good performance, and it's not supported by any empirical evidence that it was. 4-0 would not have been unfair? I have no idea what you were watching, it would have been absolutely outrageous.

Raméis. That’s rubbish in Irish. Fortunate? That’s actually two performances where there’s a bit of shape emerging. Not perfect, by any stretch. But good by everyone involved; and doing things as a team. I just realised I think Bruno is my favourite United player. Well done Elanga.
McT powerful too.
And yet:

People are deluding themselves if they think we were good here, this sort of performance will take us nowhere in the long run, and will see us continue our recent form where we consistently drop points, and then as soon we play anyone decent will be destroyed.

Skyhightrees

Awful first half, felt I was watching the championship and not premier league.. Second was better but not enough..

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 305 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Brentford 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Brentford 0:2 Man Utd