PL L FA Premier League

Brentford 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 13 August 2022

RedAlert27

And to think some people genuinely thought we could compete for fourth. When will these players learn they do not have the quality or the intelligence to play out from the back, especially from a bleeding goal kick. Ten Hag has to put his own footballing philosophies to one side for some time and find a formula to win with this dim-witted lot. He has to realise the limitations of the individuals and the team quickly!

lex talionis

We still haven’t recovered from the appointment of Moyes, an appointment that was based on the assumption that we have great players and we only need the occasional refreshment of new blood. The squad needs a complete rebuild, even it means guaranteeing mid table status for 2-3 seasons.

tjb

No point complaining about a result that can't be changed particularly if we all know this is not where we want to be. I don't think we are nearly as bad as the results have shown this season, but I also feel that our core weaknesses that have existed since Mourinho are getting heavily exposed right now. Here are my thoughts on the game.

1. DDG was terrible today. He lost the game for us imo, however for most of this season, he will not be our main issue. We can survive with him as our keeper in the short term, but he really needs to be held accountable for the performance.

2. Our defensive organization was terrible during set pieces. It's something ETH will need to work on.

3. Shaw and Maguire need to be swapped out for Varane and Malacia. They are far too casual in and out of possession and i feel ( in addition to our midfield) are the cause of our usually slow and tepid build up.

4. Eriksen worked in his role today as a deep lying playmaker. The ball moved up the pitch more quickly. This is good as it cements a place for him in the team, however this bring me to my next point

5. Not having a good ball winning midfielder ( DM or otherwise) is really hurting us. We are far too easy to pick apart on the counter and we struggle winning duels in midfield.

6. We need an alternative to Rashford and Sancho on the flanks.

7. We need a forward who can lead our line and press from the front. If this means playing Ronaldo out wide, that is fine by me, but this affects our ability to press.

We should bring in a ball winner, but I would also like to see what Martinez looks like in midfield. I'm not upset as the season just started and we all knew this would be a process. The real question for this season is who should be part of our future

Red Ten

So will fans finally accept we are in a relegation battle. That’s 3 wins from 15 & we last won away when Noah was a lad.

There are no positives anywhere in this team. I can’t see how they get to 40 pts right now.

Martial

We still haven’t recovered from the appointment of Moyes, an appointment that was based on the assumption that we have great players and we only need the occasional refreshment of new blood. The squad needs a complete rebuild, even it means guaranteeing mid table status for 2-3 seasons.
Agreed. The best move was to get Mourinho or Ancelotti straight after Fergie, but that still would have just delayed the inevitable and Glazer incompetence would have fecked us eventually.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
What you all complaining about? Were only 6 pts from the top with many games left. Moaners

Chairman Steve

The players are the issue. DDG, Shaw, Maguire, Rashford etc are once again involved in a United team looking shit.

It’s a dirge of players that have survived because of manager turnover. The board have handicapped us by paying them so much and extending their contracts over the years. Woodward and Judge are to blame for that. I’m genuinely interested to see where some of these players will end up after they’re finally gone from here. Think of all the other dross we’ve seen like Fellaini, Cleverley and Gibson and how they’ve dropped off the map. I think even they weren’t as bad as what we’ve been seeing recently with some of these players.

We’ve got so many problems that it’s hard to know where to start. There’s no one position in our team where I can say we’re set there.

I hope you guys aren’t taking these results badly, because I’d get into another hobby. This United team would drive you insane and it’s a waste of money and time to watch some of them. Just build a fecking money pile and just set it on fire like the Joker in The Dark Knight.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Honestly just get rid of all the shit players who were stinking it up with the same performances and horrendous results last year. We need rid of about 8 in the next 2 weeks. The board are absolutely fecking clueless. Glazers out .

jeff_goldblum

I think that might have been the worst game I've watched of ours. The first 45 minutes was comeuppence for all the blindingly obvious issues with the squad that the club has been unwilling to address.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Can we recall Henderson? I have a feeling he would be more suitable for us right now, him being an occasionally unreliable shot-stopper notwithstanding.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We are bottom of the league. Our performances and results fully justify that.

Ventura

You either have a very bad memory or simply don’t understand the game. Ole had this team at the bottom half of the table and getting blown out as well. This isn’t a coaching issue anymore. This is an overall culture issue that starts with the ownership. Too many guys are just not good enough. Ralf was right…”open heart surgery.”
Or maybe it's you who don't understand something. I'm having a sarcastic go at people who campaign to sack the manager thinking it's all going to be so much better with a new guy and then of course it's just business as usual. I've said before that the manager only has limited impact on what goes on and that problems lie elsewhere. Still people crave that manager blood when things aren't going our way.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
For years our rivals have built skyscrapers and we've just been concealing cracks with lead paint on a crumbling palace where we've also stuffed the old foundations with plastic bags filled with cat shit. Yes I wrote this instead of watching the last few minutes so it's overly dramatic but still ffs.

Under Sir Alex, when we lost a previous game, I felt confident that we'd win the next one. The opposition were in trouble because the players wanted to WIN. They hated losing. So we'd go out and keep playing until the job was done. Everyone went on about Fergie Time and our late equalisers/winners but the reality was that United were just too damn stubborn to know when they had lost.

This current team, though? Five minutes into the game and things don't go perfectly? Their heads drop like fecking stones. They accept defeat because they're fecking useless. Brentford didn't even play much in that second half and we still did nothing. It was bad enough when City did it last season...

Every player needs to feck off. And the board and owners who have allowed our team to get to this point over the years and let it keep happening need to feck off as well. None of you cnuts are United. I don't even know what it means but, whatever, eat a bunch of spoons.

Biggest club in the world?! We've fallen so far behind our rivals because the club has accepted "below average" as the standard for ten years. From background staff to players we've been coasting, letting players build their "brand" and useless, clueless executives leeching a wage from the club for barely doing the minimum in their job descriptions, whilst other teams just breeze past us because they have experts in the right senior positions - which should be the real bare minimum requirement for the actual people put into those jobs.

And Liverpool are up next? feck me. Even when Liverpool were shite they were still proud of the shirt, their history, their retired legends. These fecks won't even bother. They'll just feel sorry for themselves, tell the press that it's not good enough and they must try harder, and buckle under the Scousers as soon as Salah pounces on the first misplaced pass. FFS, WE used to be their yearly Cup Final - that's how important it was for them to try and beat us, because they actually had pride. There's feck all chance of us having the same response now that the tables have turned.

Because these clowns are not Manchester United, they're Bruno8 (and whatever brand names the other players have) who just happen to play for United. If they actually gave a shit about the club they wouldn't buckle like this all of the time. feck the players. feck Murtough. feck the Glazers. feck all of them.

Bottom of the table. Exactly where this shower of shite belong.
The biggest compliment I can give to the football club I love(ed) is that this version of Manchester United have become irrelevant. Totally irrelevant.

When we went behind, it was not a surprise.
When we were loosing 4-0, it was not a surprise.

I feel sorry for our fans. Because it is the hope that kills you.
And as far as this version of Manchester United team is concerned, I have little hope left. And little love left either.
Each and every one of those running and playing for this version of Manchester United should feel ashamed and embarrassed and close the door after you have left.

Cantona in disguise

The biggest compliment I can give to the football club I love(ed) is that this version of Manchester United have become irrelevant. Totally irrelevant.

When we went behind, it was not a surprise.
When we were loosing 4-0, it was not a surprise.

I feel sorry for our fans. Because it is the hope that kills you.
And as far as this version of Manchester United team is concerned, I have little hope left. And little love left either.
Each and every one of those running and playing for this version of Manchester United should feel ashamed and embarrassed and close the door after you have left.
The worst thing is my 9 year old lad last August finally started playing and watching football. The poor kid is getting torn apart by his mates. He is sticking with it though. I keep telling him it will get better, I'm not so sure it will...

The_Midfielder

The worst thing is my 9 year old lad last August finally started playing and watching football. The poor kid is getting torn apart by his mates. He is sticking with it though. I keep telling him it will get better, I'm not so sure it will...
I have the same problem..

Red Ten

Well let’s hope Poch has phone fully charged up.
EtH next manager to leave - odds 6/1.

Litch

Frightening thing is people thought sorting the midfield would solve our owes. The keepers mistakes was absolute criminal timing for a team void of any confidence……

Denis79

For years our rivals have built skyscrapers and we've just been concealing cracks with lead paint on a crumbling palace where we've also stuffed the old foundations with plastic bags filled with cat shit. Yes I wrote this instead of watching the last few minutes so it's overly dramatic but still ffs.

Under Sir Alex, when we lost a previous game, I felt confident that we'd win the next one. The opposition were in trouble because the players wanted to WIN. They hated losing. So we'd go out and keep playing until the job was done. Everyone went on about Fergie Time and our late equalisers/winners but the reality was that United were just too damn stubborn to know when they had lost.

This current team, though? Five minutes into the game and things don't go perfectly? Their heads drop like fecking stones. They accept defeat because they're fecking useless. Brentford didn't even play much in that second half and we still did nothing. It was bad enough when City did it last season...

Every player needs to feck off. And the board and owners who have allowed our team to get to this point over the years and let it keep happening need to feck off as well. None of you cnuts are United. I don't even know what it means but, whatever, eat a bunch of spoons.

Biggest club in the world?! We've fallen so far behind our rivals because the club has accepted "below average" as the standard for ten years. From background staff to players we've been coasting, letting players build their "brand" and useless, clueless executives leeching a wage from the club for barely doing the minimum in their job descriptions, whilst other teams just breeze past us because they have experts in the right senior positions - which should be the real bare minimum requirement for the actual people put into those jobs.

And Liverpool are up next? feck me. Even when Liverpool were shite they were still proud of the shirt, their history, their retired legends. These fecks won't even bother. They'll just feel sorry for themselves, tell the press that it's not good enough and they must try harder, and buckle under the Scousers as soon as Salah pounces on the first misplaced pass. FFS, WE used to be their yearly Cup Final - that's how important it was for them to try and beat us, because they actually had pride. There's feck all chance of us having the same response now that the tables have turned.

Because these clowns are not Manchester United, they're Bruno8 (and whatever brand names the other players have) who just happen to play for United. If they actually gave a shit about the club they wouldn't buckle like this all of the time. feck the players. feck Murtough. feck the Glazers. feck all of them.

Bottom of the table. Exactly where this shower of shite belong.
I really don't want to be negative this early in a season but it's very hard to disagree.

steffyr2

You know, listening to today's game where in the 1st half Utd couldn't get out of their own end and gave up 4 goals, it occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, Utd has problems other than how well Ronaldo does or doesn't press.

UpWithRivers

Frightening thing is people thought sorting the midfield would solve our owes. The keepers mistakes was absolute criminal timing for a team void of any confidence……
What are you on about. We haven't sorted out the midfield and that's the problem. Sure individual mistakes hurt us a lot but we can fight back if we could get a hold of the game. We simply have no midfield. Nothing. Most teams play with a 3 man midfield, we play with 2. We are already outnumbered before we start. Then the quality if the midfielders is sht and to cap it off they are not in the right positions. McTominay or Fred are not 6's and Eriksen is definitely not a 6. On top of all I don't care how much Bruno runs he is not a midfielder plus he is playing sht and cant attack to relieve the pressure and push back their defense and midfield. I don't see how anyone cant see that if we cant sort out our midfield we have no chance. The defense is getting battered by opposition midfielders running through our defense and onto them and our attackers dont get the ball because the midfield is over run and fkd. If we played Bissouma, Tielmanns and Eriksen for example we would have battered them even with the De Gea own goal.

TrueRed79

Normally after a result like todays, i might say we have reached the nadir etc..but losing seven away games in a row to the opposition we faced with an aggregate score of F1 AG 11, i despair. Toxic mess. ETH answered the post match questions well, but he looks like a rabbit caught in headlights. Fans need to unite. Only a rebellion that's sustained will get us rid of those assholes in Florida.

ObscureBaguette

The weight of the shirt is too much for some of those players (even that horrible green monstrosity we wore today).

I wonder how many of the players genuinely believe they're good enough.

DSG

My XI for the next match:

Heaton
Williams Lindelof Varane Malacia
Garner VdB
Eriksen
Guarnacho Elanga Shoretire

I don’t care if we lose 10-0, as long as we win the vast majority of 2nd balls and our ground / distance covered are superior.

The lack of 2nd balls won was disturbing. They are either so bereft of confidence or they just don’t care.

we should just sell Rashford, Maguire, Shaw, Bruno, Ronaldo, Sancho, Martinez, Dalot, McFred, take our £100m from the sales and buy 10 Championship players that will kick the shite out of people.

captaincantona

What is frightening is that Brentford are and we’re shit. Their pressing was shit despite the fuking commentators wetting themselves, they couldnt string more then 4 passes together and they allowed us plenty of time on the ball around their area. They were muck and yet beat us by 4.

Brighton looked like prime Barcelona against us but showed once again today that they are no more than a decent side at best.

god fuking help us when a top side gets hold of us. It will be 5 at the back time and pray for mercy. We are a mess.

Litch

What are you on about. We haven't sorted out the midfield and that's the problem. Sure individual mistakes hurt us a lot but we can fight back if we could get a hold of the game. We simply have no midfield. Nothing. Most teams play with a 3 man midfield, we play with 2. We are already outnumbered before we start. Then the quality if the midfielders is sht and to cap it off they are not in the right positions. McTominay or Fred are not 6's and Eriksen is definitely not a 6. On top of all I don't care how much Bruno runs he is not a midfielder plus he is playing sht and cant attack to relieve the pressure and push back their defense and midfield. I don't see how anyone cant see that if we cant sort out our midfield we have no chance. The defense is getting battered by opposition midfielders running through our defense and onto them and our attackers dont get the ball because the midfield is over run and fkd. If we played Bissouma, Tielmanns and Eriksen for example we would have battered them even with the De Gea own goal.
Did I say we sorted our midfield out? My point is the focus has been the midfield is the problem, you put anyone in that midfield today and it’s the same outcome.

Matthew1972

My XI for the next match:

Heaton
Williams Lindelof Varane Malacia
Garner VdB
Eriksen
Guarnacho Elanga Shoretire

I don’t care if we lose 10-0, as long as we win the vast majority of 2nd balls and our ground / distance covered are superior.

The lack of 2nd balls won was disturbing. They are either so bereft of confidence or they just don’t care.

we should just sell Rashford, Maguire, Shaw, Bruno, Ronaldo, Sancho, Martinez, Dalot, McFred, take our £100m from the sales and buy 10 Championship players that will kick the shite out of people.
AMEN!! #RecallHenderson

Matthew1972

I want to preface my post today by saying that there were many players in today’s starting lineup that quit on the United football club last season. Players who had finished in 2nd in the EPL the season before that suddenly acted and played like they didn’t care last season, leading to the worst campaign the club has had in 30 years. Players who quit. Stopped trying. Gave the same post-match comments like broken records.

So, when I see the same players being rolled out to start games this season, why would I get excited? I already know they lack the courage, the stamina, and the hunger to be champions. I already know this! Because I saw it last season!

I’m not saying that there aren’t any good ones in the bunch. There are some decent ones, like Rashford, Sancho, and Maguire, who could start for other clubs.

But this lot is poor, and do not deserve the privilege to wear the Manchester red anymore.

I get it. You can’t cut all the players from a squad. You have to field a team. A winning team. You have to stay in the Premiere League.

But most of these players do not deserve to be dressing on match day. Because they quit on this club last season. I saw it.

So, watching today I saw the first three goals. Not one of them turned my stomach. They all made me laugh. I have reached a point where United mediocrity has no effect on me. I turned off the tele and took my wife out for a day drive. Didn’t think once about the match.

I do have some questions.

• Why not sell players like Rashford, Ronaldo, and DeGea? I love Rashford but he hates it in Manchester, and the other two are dead weight. DeGea should have been sold last season, if not before, when there was still a market for him. I don’t care if Henderson had Covid. We have other keepers who could have done the job until Henderson was ready. Ronaldo also hates it in Manchester. We should take what is offered and move on.
  • Why not start the youngsters now? Mejbri, Elanga, Shoretire, Iqbal, Pellestri, and Garnacho, are all upstarts with the quality of never having quit on the club. Put the lads in and teach them to be champions. It may take two or three years, but at least you know they will leave it out on the pitch.
  • Why are players like Dalot and Fred starting? Even when the squad was playing well, they were bad. Fred’s effort is inversely related to his ability. And Dalot is clueless. He offers no strength, he struggles to defend and loses the ball constantly on offense. He’s terrible, he sucks, and I hate watching him start week after week. At least AWB could defend.
I’ll be happy if I never see Maguire, DeGea, Fred, Dalot, or Ronaldo ever play for the Reds again. But my money is squarely on unhappiness for a long time to come.

Player Ratings

2.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 434 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Brentford 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Brentford 1:1 Man Utd