PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sun, 10 November 2019

Strelok

I really fancy the flip flap Rashford pulled out today, what a goal it could be :drool:

Decent performance, a bit lucky, lovely counter attack and should have scored more goals :drool:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Nice win today. As said, we could have had 4 or 5 easily.
Some lovely quick, precise passing and plenty of pressing.

Have we turned a corner or another false dawn? Time will tell.

automaticflare

United of old almost, in that I didn't want the match to finish. Very enjoyable 90 minutes.

Everybody played well, with notable mentions to Fred (best performance as a red), James, Maguire & Williams.

A few observations:

• We look genuinely dangerous when Rashford, Martial & James are our front three. Real potential there
  • The pressing in the final third is improving
  • For that matter pressing in general is vastly improved. We turn the ball over quickly so many times, often within 5 seconds of losing possession
  • Stick Pogba in this XI in place of Perreira and it starts to look like a pretty exciting side
I'm interested to know whether the staunch Ole out crowd still fail to see any evidence of coaching or a 'style of play' emerging. For me, while we are still inconsistent and a work in progress, it's clear what we are trying to do here.

Our best XI is better than most in this league. Young players are coming through and getting minutes, so by seasons end we will be able to make sound decisions about what we need to add to the squad.

I think a lot of people obviously say put pogba back in instead of perreira and we will be better and I generally agree.

But there has to be some wariness because when you put pogba in you are going to lose pressure when we give away the ball. Perrira actually pretty decent in a press and he also is a good fouler and not afraid to just trip a man up. I think this helps stopped a few counters against us. You won’t get that with pogba and putting him in there affects that pressing unit quite a bit.

I think you have to balance up if what he brings is worth more than that but taking one man out of that press will have a big impact on the system

ThinkTank@Cafe

Finally, we are starting to tick in final third.

Our attacking pattern is built around Martial. He is the engine of our attacking machine. He drops, receives ball in tight spaces, holds it up creating space for the rest of attackers. He has excellent technique to make a short, weighted or through pass. 3 goals + 3 assists in 7 PL matches. Excellent number 9. His vision and thinking speed is improving.

Dan James is 80m player. He is not only about speed, determination, and overall stinginess which is very helpful. His dribbling and crossing are progressing at amazing rate. Technique wise, he is very gifted. His ball control looks shaky because he moves at high speed with the ball. But he actually controls it while literally flying. Whatever we might have overpaid (I don’t think we overpaid given the circumstances) for Maguire we recovered with 15m bargain in the same transfer window. Thank you, Giggsy.

Rashford must improve on scoring simple goals. I am sure he can do it. He is going to improve massively this season.

Pereira is a competent squad player, a deputy 10. Technically sound, fit and determined. However, his footballing IQ is not up to standard. Our transfer priority is #10: a modern AM with excellent vision and tactical awareness. A Mata on steroids.

Fred looked like that 50m rated midfielder from Shakhtar in CL playoffs. He is getting better. Today’s game, Liverpool and PSG are his real level. CM position is very sensitive to tactical changes and movement around him. Ole deserves a lot of credit for his resilience and sticking to his formation despite pressure from the nervy and tired fan base and media dramatization.

MCT is turning into a monster of a player. His abilities to carry the ball forward and intimidate opposition are underestimated. Again, big kudos to Ole who wasn’t afraid to replace Herrera with MCT instead of spending budget on another first team midfielder.

AWB is AWB. Steady.

Maguire. Besides defensive duties, he carries the ball forward and presses opposition forwards. Ole’s proactive defending with CBs leaving position to suffocate opposition attacks in the beginning will cost us points short term until defensive unit gels. It’s an acceptable price for long term stability and counter attacking advantages.

Lindelof. Another player to be replaced ASAP. Aerially he is liability. Otherwise, a very good squad player.

Brandon Williams. Very good performance. But I have doubts wether he can provide width. Is he right footed?

DDG. Nothing to do.

Last edited:

RoyH1

Couldn’t watch the game due to work but I’m pleased at the result and cautiously optimistic at the upward curve we’re on play and results wise.

Ace of Spades

Great game, if we can add some more depth and quality in attack, especially the 10 position, then we will improve a lot. The moment the forwards got some support from midfield, they looked much more dangerous, and chances were created.

UpWithRivers

United of old almost, in that I didn't want the match to finish. Very enjoyable 90 minutes.

Everybody played well, with notable mentions to Fred (best performance as a red), James, Maguire & Williams.

A few observations:

• We look genuinely dangerous when Rashford, Martial & James are our front three. Real potential there
  • The pressing in the final third is improving
  • For that matter pressing in general is vastly improved. We turn the ball over quickly so many times, often within 5 seconds of losing possession
  • Stick Pogba in this XI in place of Perreira and it starts to look like a pretty exciting side
I'm interested to know whether the staunch Ole out crowd still fail to see any evidence of coaching or a 'style of play' emerging. For me, while we are still inconsistent and a work in progress, it's clear what we are trying to do here.

Our best XI is better than most in this league. Young players are coming through and getting minutes, so by seasons end we will be able to make sound decisions about what we need to add to the squad.
Im not a staunch Ole outer, but beating Brighton at home does not make us all of a sudden brilliant. We have always played well against sides that dont park the bus. See Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester etc We need to figure out how to play like this against the likes of Bournemouth, Newcastle, Crystal Palace etc

The only style of play is the same we have all season. Use pace to hit on the break. Works sometimes. Sometimes it doesnt - See Bournemouth.

But with regards to this game we were brilliant

Kag

I think a lot of people obviously say put pogba back in instead of perreira and we will be better and I generally agree.

But there has to be some wariness because when you put pogba in you are going to lose pressure when we give away the ball. Perrira actually pretty decent in a press and he also is a good fouler and not afraid to just trip a man up. I think this helps stopped a few counters against us. You won’t get that with pogba and putting him in there affects that pressing unit quite a bit.

I think you have to balance up if what he brings is worth more than that but taking one man out of that press will have a big impact on the system
I’ve balanced it up. It took me less than two seconds to realise that Pogba playing ahead of Pereira is a significantly better option. He actually creates chances, and when you’re a team that’s scored 16 league goals by mid-November then you’re choosing the chances (and goals) every single time.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This Manchester United team is the youngest squad to play in the Premier League this season, at an avg age of 23 years and 350 days.

11 shots on goal, most of them huge chances.

Everyone got the job done today. Complete control throughout.

A very enjoyable outing at Old Trafford. Daniel James proving himself a very good purchase. Delighted with Williams' debut. McTominay is made of hard stuff, I hope he wont be out for too long. In this regard, the international break is a godsend. 3-4 weeks until we will see Pogba back as well.

This same Brighton team clobbered Tottenham 3-0 at home. They're not exactly Barcelona, but they aren't a pedestrian side either.

Alabaster Codify7

Im not a staunch Ole outer, but beating Brighton at home does not make us all of a sudden brilliant. We have always played well against sides that dont park the bus. See Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester etc We need to figure out how to play like this against the likes of Bournemouth, Newcastle, Crystal Palace etc

The only style of play is the same we have all season. Use pace to hit on the break. Works sometimes. Sometimes it doesnt - See Bournemouth.

But with regards to this game we were brilliant

This. Ole In or Ole Out does not exist in a vacuum consisting of one game for feck's sake. It infuriates me when we get these type of posts after beating a small team 3-1 (see the Norwich game) and then we lose our next game.

arthurka

Should have scored more goals. But overall a good game we are getting better. This defense isn't good enough plus DDG isnt commanding at all, he should have tried to go of his line for the corner. Away to Sheffield will be a tougher test.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

I agree totally. We may end up losing more than we gain, but I'd like to see it tried over 3-5 matches

redIndianDevil

It was a decent game, lucky we had a flukey goal and a scrappy one which opened up the game especially in the second half. But we have to be concerned that apart from the first two goals we didn't create much from open play and the game only opened up when Brighton conceded the third.

Chippa62

A great win with only two downers, 1. their goal and 2. Scott's injury. You may say it was only Brighton, but you can only play what is put in front of you. Not only that, these are the games we struggle with as we tend to play well against the top 6.

One game at a time, on to the next after the International break.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
- Fred start to look like a proper midfielder, finally a performance worthy for his price tag, hopes he find his feet and start to perform consistently week in week out
- Martial is easily our best no.9, although he is unlucky not to score, he leads the frontline very well with 2 assists
- Williams for me is our best left back, another impressive performances for the youngster
- Rashford is on form right now, poor miss though, but overall he plays quite well, with some good run and skill
- Another promising performance from James, he was a constant threat on the wing, our bargain of the year
- Pereira scored but I am still not too sure about him, looks average to me, we demand our no.1 to do more than that. Not bad today though.

Hester_manc

This must be the reason why we bought Fred. He was the best player for us today, and without the normal 2-3 big mistakes. His best match for us

Last edited by a moderator:

M16Red

Pogba in attack has all the tools to be crazy dangerous. Perrira's press wasn't the best and Pogba can press, I also think pogba has the ability to open defences in a low block as well with a quick pass - he would have watched game and be sad he's missed it..

Tony247

Good win. Radford's goal was excellent.

Moving the ball from midfield to front is still a big issue in absence of Pogba. Hope that will improve when he comes back.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This. Ole In or Ole Out does not exist in a vacuum consisting of one game for feck's sake. It infuriates me when we get these type of posts after beating a small team 3-1 (see the Norwich game) and then we lose our next game.
Whether people think we are brilliant now wasnt the question though. It was whether people are starting to see a style of play forming here.

Calling it fast counter attack doesn't tell the whole picture IMO. Its very clear to see how we are set up. The pressing and shape of the team is now recognisable and we are becoming very good at winning back possession quite quickly and quite often.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Bar our defending on corners, we were great today and good fun too. Rashford and James looked so dangerous on the break. Seems like we are finally developing a pattern to our counterattacks where we want James breaking with the ball and Rashford in the channels. So many good performances all round. Lindelöf looks a bit of a weaker link still.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
18 points behind Liverpool.
Let’s enjoy the win and performance. Regardless of how this season went, realistically even a good session such as top 4 or 5/6 with great football would not have involved comparing us to Liverpool or City.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Pogba doesn't get back into this team. hehe
:lol:

You put Pogba in place of the ineffective and non creative Perreira and you have a decent team out there.

Edit: Missed the white texts :lol:

Last edited:

Red00012

As much as we all want Pogba at #10 we’ll see him replace Fred unfortunately.

Alemar

As much as we all want Pogba at #10 we’ll see him replace Fred unfortunately.
Ole made some conclusions lately, one needs to admit. He is slowly starting to become less stupid with team selection, and he definitely understands that Fred and McTominay are a pair to keep in the team. As such, Pogba will come instead of Pereira.

chickensgowoof

Just got back from game, great result, Fred remembered he was a footballer, Williams quality, Wan B was a leach on their attackers, great game and even though I was in East stand, there was a great atmosphere.

Good stuff

United Hobbit

Unfortunately was busy this afternoon so couldn't watch, sounds like we weren't great then suddenly got going? Seen a few clips of the chances on the commentary thread.

Do we feel the team actually looked coached and structured or did Brighton play into our hands with how they were set up?

How did Williams do? I watched a clip the United Facebook page posted showing Ole doing his post match interview and in all the games Williams has played I've noticed Ole speaks very highly of him, obviously hes not going to say he was crap but I get the sense Shaw may be in trouble if he isnt fit soon and he will end up as the backup until Williams has a blip.

Haven't seen any updates on McT usually they say a rough answer? How bad did it look was it a he was caught in a bad place and just the impact hurt and will be fine or did it look more sinister?

May have to watch MOTD for the first time in ages, how long a slot does each game tend to get now? I'm sure Liverpool vs City will be on first and I'd like to avoid them gushing over Liverpool and Klopp? But obviously dont want to leave it too long and risk missing us?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yeah but you can beat a big team and can't say it then either. So its beat middling teams or nothing. Manchester City got schooled by the same team we played around with at times today.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Unfortunately was busy this afternoon so couldn't watch, sounds like we weren't great then suddenly got going? Seen a few clips of the chances on the commentary thread.

Do we feel the team actually looked coached and structured or did Brighton play into our hands with how they were set up?

Haven't seen any updates on McT usually they say a rough answer? How bad did it look was it a he was caught in a bad place and just the impact hurt and will be fine or did it look more sinister?

May have to watch MOTD for the first time in ages, how long a slot does each game tend to get now? I'm sure Liverpool vs City will be on first and I'd like to avoid them gushing over Liverpool and Klopp? But obviously dont want to leave it too long and risk missing us?
We had 11 shots on goal, everything was clicking. Daniel James was instrumental. High press and ball retrieval, playing the ball from the back, everything we want to do. Well coached, perfect team for the occasion, perfect execution. Can't ask for more on a day like this

United Hobbit

We had 11 shots on goal, everything was clicking. Daniel James was instrumental. High press and ball retrieval, playing the ball from the back, everything we want to do. Well coached, perfect team for the occasion, perfect execution. Can't ask for more on a day like this
Typically when I cant watch maybe I should stop watching given its usually a borefest when I do :lol: did the players look to drop off as sometimes when weve played the high press Ole seems keen on we do it for a bit then they get tired. I saw the clip of Dan James' cross where Rashy then missed the open goal he looks like he's getting his head up more and putting in some good crosses something he got criticism on here for when he first came and some saw his pace as being his only real asset. Would have liked a few more minutes for Greenwood let him have some games where things are a bit more relaxed and he's not tasked with rescuing us- his introduction in the Partizan game was perfect .

Let's just hope something has finally clicked and this isnt yet another false dawn.

Fred was also getting a lot of praise on the matchday thread?

davidmichael

I’d say that was our best performance of the season and if Rashford had a bit more composure we’d have scored 5 or 6 which wouldn’t have been an unfair or flattering score line either, most things clicked today.

McTominay has been our best player this season and Fred is looking solid at the moment so Pogba coming into that midfield instead of Pereira is a given I’d rather Pogba be given a free role instead of as a 10 as he’s much better rampaging up and down the pitch than restricted as a 10.

The front three look at times unplayable and James has been such a brilliant signing, Rashford looks so much better coming from the left and his link up play with Martial is looking very promising.

Wan-Bisakka was a beast today and Williams reminds me a lot of Irwin in that he looks such a solid and consistent left back that will always give you a 7 out of 10 performance with the occasional 8 or 9 out of 10 game too, Maguire was good leading but Lindelof hasn’t shown he’s turning a corner and recapturing last seasons form.

Shimo

Ole made some conclusions lately, one needs to admit. He is slowly starting to become less stupid with team selection, and he definitely understands that Fred and McTominay are a pair to keep in the team. As such, Pogba will come instead of Pereira.
This is where I am still very weary of Ole. Things that seem obvious as heck, he seems to take an age to realize. Like when Martial was out, he isolated Rashford who is just not good up on his own and needed someone along side at least.

The other thing is from today's game, William absolutely should keep his place for the next league game. Young is a top professional but, on merit Williams should get ahead. Be interesting to see.

Also, last few games, it's shown that with McTomminay and Fred in CM, they provide good balance. Neither is the sole defensive player nor creator but, combined they are doing a great job in there. If he tries to throw Pogba back in the deeper role, it means one of the other 2 will go back to a pure CDM which they are just not suited for. So when Pogba is back, be interesting to see if he sticks to trying to play a #10 with players like Perreria, Mata or Lingard or if he'll let Pogba play higher up the pitch, allowing him to link play and also get in and around the box.

Onwards upwards right now for the players and even Ole - lets hope it continues.

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 45% of 621 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 411 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw