PL W FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 30 June 2020

diarm

That third goal was just so sexy - 6 touches and 9 seconds from our box to the back of the net. Brilliant pass from Matic, a good first touch, strong run and a chip Tiger Woods would've been talking about for a week from Mason and then you have Bruno, busting his ass to get on the end of it after playing around 1000 minutes of football in the last couple of weeks, who puts it away with a flourish.

Goals like that are what United are all about.

Alemar

I disagree. Replacing Shaw as a starter should be our main concern. The rest of the starting 11 picks itself now.
I am not at all convinced by Lindelof. Yesterday he did relatively well, but on average he is nothing special and may definitely be upgraded in the future

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It is so nice actually lovely looking forward to the next game with confidence. I always looks forward to United games, but it has been with dread in the past.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Very fun match to watch as I love watching talented players play like a team. I can't believe Greenwood is still only 18.

When Bruno scored his second I thought, wow, what a nice pass from Rashford. Then with the replay I realized it was Greenwood. It's sad to say but I don't think Rashford has it in him to make that pass with his right or left on a consistent basis.

POF

It was an amazing pass by Greenwood. How many times do United break in positions like that and waste the opportunity.

Greenwood's composure and quality to pick that pass out was fantastic. Rashford's run to draw in Burn was crucial too to create the overload on the back post.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Brighton have conceded 3 or more goals 4 times this season, twice against ManUtd, once vs City and West Ham.

MrSingh2002

I was talking about the "We shouldn't be getting carried away" part.
It's a good run so far and I'm just as happy as anyone. My comment relates to our squad not being up there yet with City, Liverpool or even Chelsea yet.

We've got a strong 11 now but Ole knows he can't afford to rotate much as the second string is poor. The summer is key and if we can sell/replace players like Jones, Smalling, Shaw, Mata and Sanchez then we would be able to compete for a top 3 place next season which would put it into perspective for me anyway.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That third goal was just so sexy - 6 touches and 9 seconds from our box to the back of the net. Brilliant pass from Matic, a good first touch, strong run and a chip Tiger Woods would've been talking about for a week from Mason and then you have Bruno, busting his ass to get on the end of it after playing around 1000 minutes of football in the last couple of weeks, who puts it away with a flourish.

Goals like that are what United are all about.
Exactly.
Some of the football was proper Manchester United football.

The squad is beginning to look far more balanced than in recent years.
We have experience mixed with youth and most importantly we are starting to see some real flair.

To be perfectly fair to Ole, his recruitment has been better than those of Jose and LVG.

Clearly we have some way to go. But I am now far more optimistic than for ages.

MrSingh2002

I am not at all convinced by Lindelof. Yesterday he did relatively well, but on average he is nothing special and may definitely be upgraded in the future
Martial
Rashford Fernandes Sancho
Mat/McT Pogba
LB Maguire CB/Tuanzebe AWB
De Gea

Subs
Romero
Williams
Lindelof
Fred
James
Greenwood

I genuinely feel we're 3 good signings away from an excellent first choice 11 and bench.

Unfortunately Tuanzebe has been injured for most of the season or I would've backed him to replace Lindelof as he's faster and stronger. Something that Maguire would benefit from greatly.

Shaw for me needs replacing and there are so many young candidates out there for left back at the moment so would be a no brainer to move him on to anyone that wants him whilst Williams continues to progress.

And then the main one for me which is Sancho. He seems ideal and everything that Sanchez should have been. I'd play him on the right side as Greenwoods future lies centrally as well as he has been doing on the right wing.

3 big signings and get rid of Smalling, Jones, Sanchez, Mata and Shaw. Then we have serious cause for optimism.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Wow. Yeah. You could say that.

Course, you could point out ... De Gea made the better saves ... when the game was already dead and buried. Their keeper didn't have saves to make because our lads were putting the ball away. Don't forget, we hit the post, and Pogba's shot was possibly heading in from the rebound but for a good block, while the keeper was scrambling.

Their keeper didn't make saves because we didn't give him a chance to. And, after scoring 3 goals, there was zero impetus to push on and try to score more, thus leaving ourselves open.

We're not going to compete with those teams? Really? We've beaten City a couple of times this year. We're just behind Chelsea. Liverpool are a class apart, yes. But to say we can't compete with Chelsea with this team? God almighty.
Yep... Also, have people actually seen Liverpool's bench? Divock Origi and Adam bloody Lallana are mainstays on it.

Skeezix

It was a terrific game

Rashford doesn't look sharp but played crucial roles in the assist. But i'm a bit concerned that he is failing to take on defenders like he used to do. But he is class, and determined too, so not worried.

Martial is getting the stick again on the Caf Eh? Although he didn't score, he played and held the ball well and brought others into play, especially Bruno, Shaw, and Greenwood.

Greenwood, Bruno and Matic, Pogba - MOTM performance

De Gea - looks sharp and good saves after long stretches of having to do nothing

The subs :

Scott and Pereira - they were confused and completely out of position for their first 5-10 minutes but after that they did well, and we started attacking again. Pereira over Lingard for me if either has to come on as a sub.

Daniel James - very tame shots, but his overall gameplay is much better in the LW than RW. Lots of room for improvement.

Alemar

Martial
Mat/McT Pogba
De Gea

Subs
Romero
Williams
Lindelof
Fred
James
Greenwood
McT is not good enough to be in the starting XI (perhaps it would indeed be better to try him out as a centre half?)

James is not good enough at all, sadly

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Good win but let's not get carried away. Brighton is 3 places above the bottom 3.
It's good form but so much to improve. Their keeper didn't have to make many saves. DeGea made better saves.
We are still not going to compete either with Liverpool, City and even Chelsea with this team. We need a couple of better players and a better bench too.
Well Brighton drew to Leicester and beat Arsenal the games prior to this.

You're making it sound like this was a closer game than it was. It really wasn't. This was a one way street wth the occasioan Bornemouth appearance around the 60-70 minute period.

romufc

Well Brighton drew to Leicester and beat Arsenal the games prior to this.

You're making it sound like this was a closer game than it was. It really wasn't. This was a one way street wth the occasioan Bornemouth appearance around the 60-70 minute period.
I find it weird how fans say its only Brighton. A team we have lost to for the last 2 seasons.

Look at the league positions of the teams we have lost / drawn to this season:

Watford 16th
Bournemouth 18th
Villa (h) 19th
Southampton 13th
Newcastle 14th
West Ham 17th

We didnt only struggle to beat teams, we looked like we could concede in alot of those games. Even yesterday, after the subs we looked vunerable. Without our best players we seen to coast through games without doing anything.

ReallyUSA

Remember when we were begging for midfielders? Now our cup runneth over. Jadon with the the three young guys, mi oh my

lex talionis

The comments here about Rashford, Shaw and Lindelof (one could also mention Martial being largely invisible) are not unreasonable, but on any given day we can't expect all 11 starters to be performing at their peak level. We had standout performances from 6 or 7 starters and the three mentioned above didn't have poor games at all.

The one player who I'd like to see kick into a higher gear is Rashford. He's been through a lot lately, physically and mentally, and we shouldn't be all that surpsised that he's not yet performing at the level he was before the injury.

Overall team performance was an 8 for me. I really don't need to see us pound a club like Brighton by more than a 0-3 score. If there's a chance to score 4 or 5 goals against Chelsea, however, we should take it. There's no glory in decimating a small club like Brighton, but running up the score on clubs like Chelsea (not saying we will, just saying it would be glorious) would be glorious.

Matst1

He offers nothing in attack. Defensively he's not great in the air and his sense of positioning has never been all that either. I've never thought he was a great player and he's a poor excuse of an athlete constantly overweight over his 6 year career at Utd. Rather he was replaced with someone who really wants to be a top player for club and country.
Bit harsh that, he broke his leg which set him back but i agree with you he hasn't been great up until these past couple months, right before the pandemic he was playing well, you not remember? and sure, after 3 months out every player looked rusty but against Brighton, he was playing the exact opposite of what you just said.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I liked the way the back four contributed to offensive forays.

In the past, Smalling was criticised for making a sideways pass after ball carrying. Presently, Maguire gets criticised for doing so, by sections of the United faithful. What I liked about Lindelof in the build up to Greenwood's goal is that instead of being content with the aforementioned, he continued to go forward without the ball which led to Dan Burn matching his run, resulting in space for Greenwood. The picture I've circled is Dan Burn marking Greenwood. In the second image, you can see its Lindelof in front of Dan Burn as opposed to Greenwood. Another thing I like about this still image is how high United's line is, allowing Fernandes and Pogba to operate in the half spaces in this particular instance.

I liked the following pass from Brandon Williams. Also, appreciated the way United were able to make the transition from defence to attack in such a short time span. Two attacks, and shutting down attack in breathtaking speed.

In this example, I felt Maguire could've made a disguised pass to Pogba, and I don't think AWB needed to let the ball run across his body

Maguire acquitted himself well on the ball

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Some things I liked (in terms of ball retention and creativity) from the full backs that were included in the starting berth

Bissaka

Impressed he kept this in play

Shaw

This is a fragment of a post from 2019
Passing aside, Shaw's off the ball movement as an attacking weapon has been underutilized. I feel he could make a considerable impact at LB making infield runs in the half spaces and towards the box in goal scoring positions, while Chong momentaraily hugs the touchline. Take Spain at the 2017 U21 Euros for example, and the way they used Bellerin who consistently got into goal scoring positions by making infield runs.
I'm pleased we're seeing this materialise with Rashford whose added yet another string to his bow. With Bruno having a galvanising influence on Man Utd, we can expect opposition to make special efforts to neutralise his creative impetus. I remember back when we had LVG, and we played against Wolfsburg in the Champions League. They put pressure on Blind who was fundamental to the build up play, and completely left Smalling alone. Back to Bruno, in relation to the importance of full backs.

Below is a take on the tactics of Flamengo against Liverpool in 1981. Taken from here
If Flamengo didn’t want to risk passing into a marked Zico though, they had other ways of advancing the ball. Andrade picked
out nice passes to the flanks, where Leandro and Junior would push forward from full-back. They would often send the ball
down the line to the wingers then underlap, making runs through the centre to receive a one-two. If the wingers came short
to receive the ball, the full-backs would sometimes overlap, pushing high up the pitch.
If Flamengo Man Utd didn’t want to risk passing into a marked Fernandes though, they had other ways of advancing the ball. Andrade Matic picked
out nice passes to the flanks, where AWB and Junior Shaw would push forward from full-back. They would often send the ball
down the line to the wingers then underlap, making runs through the centre to receive a one-two. If the wingers came short
to receive the ball, the full-backs would sometimes overlap, pushing high up the pitch.

We've seen Rashford coming deep with Shaw making underlapping and overlapping runs. It was a tactic used against Spurs which would've otherwise caused them serious issues with the aggressive approach of Aurier who tried to get tight to Rashford, perhaps wary of the phenomenal performance of Rashford in December.

In normal circumstances Aurier would've been taken out of the game as he followed Rashford when he came deep, then Rashford would attempt to play Shaw in the vacated space. This was countered well by the athleticism of Sissoko, as well as Bergwijn whose arguably one of the most intelligent players in the league. The thing is most midfielders we come up against won't have the athleticism of Sissoko, and the more adventurous teams will be less inclined to have the wide players defending to the degree that Jose encourages.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I believe you are buzzing! What a week for us.
When I saw both Chelsea and Leicestet had lost...huge smile and clenched fists in the air!

Utd is on a roll, we are going to finish 3rd and likely a EL title.

Carl S Bridge

Martial
Mat/McT Pogba
De Gea

Subs
Romero
Williams
Lindelof
Fred
James
Greenwood

I genuinely feel we're 3 good signings away from an excellent first choice 11 and bench.

Unfortunately Tuanzebe has been injured for most of the season or I would've backed him to replace Lindelof as he's faster and stronger. Something that Maguire would benefit from greatly.

Shaw for me needs replacing and there are so many young candidates out there for left back at the moment so would be a no brainer to move him on to anyone that wants him whilst Williams continues to progress.

And then the main one for me which is Sancho. He seems ideal and everything that Sanchez should have been. I'd play him on the right side as Greenwoods future lies centrally as well as he has been doing on the right wing.

3 big signings and get rid of Smalling, Jones, Sanchez, Mata and Shaw. Then we have serious cause for optimism.

I don't get this agenda Vs Shaw? You do realise he was player of the year last year? Has played very well so far? You just seem to have a problem with him. Still can't believe you seem to think Williams is a better player haha

Gator Nate

I don't get this agenda Vs Shaw? You do realise he was player of the year last year? Has played very well so far? You just seem to have a problem with him. Still can't believe you seem to think Williams is a better player haha
I don't get it either. Shaw went 120 minutes on Saturday and still looked strong at the end. He's a beast. And he can drive to the goal line and kick it back into the box very well, better than AWB on the other side in my opinion.

Our lack of depth is a bigger problem right now than the talent in the starting XI. As a whole, our starters can match up with any team in the league. And I think we're probably actually healthier at LB than at any other position. The fact that Shaw has been so good, and there's such an argument for Williams to start instead, shows we have bigger problems elsewhere. If we could get a better LB than either, then Shaw can become the backup and Williams can back up AWB on the right, and so be it. But we seem to have more pressing needs backing up other players on the pitch right now, particularly up front.

But that's just my opinion.

Blood Mage

Honestly, I think we can get away with our backline ( even though we would be missing a trick with Ake). Upfront, at the very least we need better options outside the front 4. The quality drop in the squad comes from there. I don't even think we need Sancho, we just need to give Rashford and Greenwood another option outside of James ( who has been good but is not good enough to be a third option). Bruno also needs a creative back up. I would get rid of two of Lingard, Mata and Perreira, preferably Lingard and Perreira and give Mata another year as a reserve for cheap league cup/Fa cup games.
We ideally need to find upgrades for Lindelof and Shaw IMO but yeah bringing in a couple of top class attacking players is the priority.

DSG

It seems the Ole out critics are silent again. I just wish they could get on board and join in the positive vibes.

You can see what Ole is building. Pace in the front 4, a deep lying playmaker that can release that pace, and a competent group breaking down low block teams by shooting from distance or creating by running at their defender.

Couple of points:
1. Mason looks stronger, faster and more confident. He’s becoming much better in build up play. He was MOTM for me.
2. Bruno has more pace than I thought. His game is not dependent upon it, but he can fly if need be. What a 2nd goal! Pure class.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 64% of 360 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 379 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw