PL W FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 30 June 2020

Foxbatt

Good win but let's not get carried away. Brighton is 3 places above the bottom 3.
It's good form but so much to improve. Their keeper didn't have to make many saves. DeGea made better saves.
We are still not going to compete either with Liverpool, City and even Chelsea with this team. We need a couple of better players and a better bench too.

Devil may care

In control frontrol from start to finish, that front 3 looks dangerous and Rashford isn't even in form yet. It looks so much more cohesive, this was the sort of game that would have us bald by the end of it, pulling our hair out in frustration, where now we look like we can open them like a hookers legs at any minute.

Brightonian

Here's the scary thing: I'm not sure that was this side at anywhere near its best. A whole load of things were not coming off at all. Pogba and Bruno both misplaced lots of passes they wouldn't normally. Our corner kicks were a total waste of time all game long. There were periods where our midfield maintained dominance whilst actually being quite scrappy and not on the same wavelength. The ball kept breaking to them from 50/50s. Rashford looked rusty. Martial was marked out of it for long periods.

And we won 3-0.

Think of games where the whole team clicks and absolutely everything works. 7-1 vs Roma. 8-2 vs Arsenal. If this team had been having that kind of game, really clicking, this would have been a basketball score. The fact that we can produce such good football and win so comfortably while actually not 100% clicking is a very good sign.

More to come...

Morpheus 7

Finally breaking down lesser sides. Bruno is the game changer for us. We need to see this over more games. Scoring goals and keeping winning run up. Been enough patchy form and false dawns, going the right direction.

Blood Mage

We have a top 5 in the world midfield right now, we just need a bit more quality up front and at the back and we'll be competitive on all fronts again.

lex talionis

This the type of win that's supposed to be routine and it's becoming just that. Yes, it was a lower table club but beating clubs was hard work for us not that long ago.

We have a superstar in the making in Mason Greenwood.

Robertd0803

Shout out to Wan Bissaka who has immensely improved his attacking game. Future is indeed bright.
He has had so little defending to do its a bonus.

Greenwood did his 'Regen Van Persie' routine
You should trademark this nickname and it should stick. Love it.

Great performance, it was like a training session at times. We pretty much stopped playing at 3-0 which is understandable at the moment.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
We have a superstar in the making in Mason Greenwood.
This is the hope.
His skill for both his goal and his pass to Bruno was awesome.
They’d be good skills for accomplished players like Becks or Scholes, but for a kid like him? Crazy!
I hope there is no ceiling for him.

CM

Very professional. Got the game wrapped up early and managed to rest the players who needed it - couldn't have asked for much more.

Gator Nate

Well that was just fun. Full team effort. No criticism of anyone from me.

I was worried about Bruno after Saturday's marathon... how wrong was I? :lol:

I"m not worried about Rashford or Martial. The key here is that every one of them is a potential threat that must be marked. Teams can no longer afford to double team one of our players and leave someone else open. Every member of our squad had to be accounted for tonight - sucking up a defender is a job on its own. Marcus and Tony did their parts.

Bruno was my man of the match, with Greenwood a close second. Pogba was a joy to watch.

These boys are having fun on the pitch. Six to go!

MrSingh2002

Brighton without Maupay and Mooy two of their best players. We shouldn't be getting carried away but our starting 11 is close to being very good.

Get a Shaw replacement or promote Williams and we're talking. Add Sancho and it's game over.

Okey

Another brilliant display of control and domination. Looks like the first 11 picks itself now. The drop off in quality on the bench is regrettable but can be fixed with time. I'm really enjoying the massive improvement and consistency. Bruno MoTM again. Never mind his quality, his engine is insane! Well done lads. Another goal fest at the weekend hopefully...

tjb

We have a top 5 in the world midfield right now, we just need a bit more quality up front and at the back and we'll be competitive on all fronts again
Honestly, I think we can get away with our backline ( even though we would be missing a trick with Ake). Upfront, at the very least we need better options outside the front 4. The quality drop in the squad comes from there. I don't even think we need Sancho, we just need to give Rashford and Greenwood another option outside of James ( who has been good but is not good enough to be a third option). Bruno also needs a creative back up. I would get rid of two of Lingard, Mata and Perreira, preferably Lingard and Perreira and give Mata another year as a reserve for cheap league cup/Fa cup games.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We are impressions, playing exactly the way I want the team to play.

Carl S Bridge

Brighton without Maupay and Mooy two of their best players. We shouldn't be getting carried away but our starting 11 is close to being very good.

Get a Shaw replacement or promote Williams and we're talking. Add Sancho and it's game over.
What is this Williams hype? Seriously, you want him in over Shaw? What the hell is Shaw doing wrong? William won't be hear in another 3 years pal. Shaw still will be

oz insomniac

The biggest issue as we go,forward is depth, injuries and the need to rest players in the top 13/14 will be a real test. The opportunity to strengthen the squad in the transfer window is a must, do we trust Woodward enough to realise the needs and the will to do it.

Very interesting times ahead, crucial really.

Matst1

I don't get the dislike for Shaw, what am i missing? he's been playing well these paste few games and especially before the break.

croadyman

We definitely played tonight like Ole's words in the embargoed section of the press conference were ringing in the ears of everyone and gotta love a breakaway goal

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I was confident of a victory with our front 5 and Brighton are a bit meh let's be honest. But it's good to see us dispatching the cannon fodder with ease again. Apart from Leicester the rest of the games are against teams who are pretty poor and I fully expect to score plenty against them.

Strelok

Well that was just fun. Full team effort. No criticism of anyone from me.

I was worried about Bruno after Saturday's marathon... how wrong was I? :lol:

I"m not worried about Rashford or Martial. The key here is that every one of them is a potential threat that must be marked. Teams can no longer afford to double team one of our players and leave someone else open. Every member of our squad had to be accounted for tonight - sucking up a defender is a job on its own. Marcus and Tony did their parts.

Bruno was my man of the match, with Greenwood a close second. Pogba was a joy to watch.

These boys are having fun on the pitch. Six to go!
Yeah me too. I was really worried but our fitness, bar the match against Spurs was actually top notch. The lads just kept running and moving. Especially Bruno, his stamina and work rate is just amazing.

Greenwood has come back a man, no doubt. This lad is going places. I have a feeling we have just found a new Robben here. His move with both feets and the shoot can be his trade mark. It's just unstoppable like Robben's left curve. All the defenders and the goalie, they knew he'd do it. They just couldn't do anything about it. And he's only 18. Imagine what he can be in a few years ...

Really happy about the match yesterday. I can't wait to see this team when Rashford gets his form back. Go go United :devil:

Number32

Now we have 5 attacking players who can score, pass, and dribble to break a tight defense with ease. This is what we had been missing in the first half of the season.

James is all about pace with limited end product, Fred is great midfielder but he can't score, Perreira and Lingard are awful no. 10, McT is a limited passer. Ole had to deal with them because we have no other experience players in the squad.

The defenders were confused when Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood, Pogba, and Martial attacking them because they are all the goal threat with a sublime technique. You can let James, Lingard, Perreira, or Fred free with zero impact, but last night Brighton got punished when Greenwood and Bruno had a lot of space in the final third.

Rashford , Martial, and Pogba were quite in this game but its doesn't matter because they will have their turn to shine without any pressure to score because anyone can score now. I hope everyone is fit until the end of the season, then we can fix the squad players with better talents next season.

Reactions: Dargonk

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Good win but let's not get carried away. Brighton is 3 places above the bottom 3.
It's good form but so much to improve. Their keeper didn't have to make many saves. DeGea made better saves.
We are still not going to compete either with Liverpool, City and even Chelsea with this team. We need a couple of better players and a better bench too.
Yep more less my thoughts. Our first 11 starts to look decent.
However, the first goal was a fantastic individual moment from Greenwood (who is one of the greatest young prospects in world football, this should also be obvious to each non United fan).
Number 2 was a completely deflected shot.
And number 3 was a brilliant counter attack, being a result of Brighton going a bit forward.
Beside that we showed some good composure on the ball but did not really create anything.
Our defense did not get tested and might look shaky against the next decent opponent. AWB and Shaw need to do better going forward, Pogba and Rashford still look sloppy/rusty and Martial is just inconsistent.
And beyond our first 11 the quality is not good enough. Based on the assumption every important player stays at least Sancho, Grealish and/or another midfielder plus maybe a CB should be brought in to make sure we get top 4 next year without fecking around again.

MetoTTT

Positives: we're a really pleasant team to watch again.
Negatives: Matic full 90min & Pereira not Fred.

EwanI Ted

Really encouraging win, as with the last game. It’s not a secret that our problem has been consistency against teams in the middle and at the bottom of the table. We’ve usually been pretty decent against the top teams. So the fact that we’ve started cruising through those kind of games is a good sign. With nearly all our games remaining being against teams lower in the table, we’ll have a much better sense of it by the end of the season. But if we do get in the habit of putting away teams that could take us places.

We’ve dropped 24 points against teams who are mid table or lower. Even clawing back half those points would put us second in the table. Easier said than done of course, but it shows how damaging the inability to put those teams to bed has been.

Let’s see how we perform til the end of the season before going overboard, but all the signs at the moment are looking good.

Squeaky Bumtime

What more to say which hasnt been said already. I so enjoyed last game I didn't want it to stop even after we made all 5 subs.
We cruised through that and managed to rest our big guns, what more to want. Greenwood goal which is his trademark already, Bruno's constant shooting paying of for the second and the third. What to say. United counter of old, a beautiful sight to behold, reminded me of some of our best counter goals from the past, the one against Arsenal in 2009 especially springs to mind.

Work in training is paying off and its obvious they're working on technical details, lots of first touches, quick passes, no dilly dalling on the ball. Of course there's missplaced passes but much much less than before when it all look labuoured and like somebody is torturing tham not like they're playing bloody football. It isnt surprising first touch games in tranining or in warmups (somebody help me how is that called) look so, so much better than during Mourinho. No we have phases in which the opponent cant get the ball for 4, 5 minutes or more.

Bruno has come to the PL with an it's mine attitude and is rubbing of the whole team. I love his comments after the game about the team and them helping each other out. He was again fabulous, him and Pogba are complimenting each other so, so good. Pogba was a Pogba of 2018 world cup, dictating play, spraying passes, present in every part of the pitch. I'm not saying he didnt have good games since then, just that it's a trademark Pogba which we need to see.
I'm so glad Matić has come back from his slumber or lack of form, not only he got back he's now fantastic and really instrumental in our play. Greenwood will be one hell of a player, Martial and Rashford even if they werent so good they did they part, Wan Bissaka's attacking play is better every game, Shaw had another good game and Maguire had one more captain pefrormance, Lindelof was also good. DDG made a few good saves to keep our clean sheet.

Of course we shouldnt get carried away, we should have this kind of games every week or most weeks and beyond the first eleven quality really drops. That's why we need Sancho and few more players to add to squad depth. But all in all base of a really, really good team is there for all to see, Ole really has something to work on.

And finally credit to Ole, he faced serious doubts but his work with the lads is really showing and Woodward showing him faith might really pay off.

Onwards and upwards!

(respect for anyone who read all this till the end :D )

Last edited:
Reactions: jojojo

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
What is this Williams hype? Seriously, you want him in over Shaw? What the hell is Shaw doing wrong? William won't be hear in another 3 years pal. Shaw still will be
As much as I like the development of Williams, the Shaw bashing is ridiculous.

Again he offered fantastic attacking options down the left for Fernandes and played soke dangerous balls into the box.

Yes he gets caught out at times, yes his delivery coukd be better...and yes I think he can still improve...but he's very decent.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I was confident of a victory with our front 5 and Brighton are a bit meh let's be honest. But it's good to see us dispatching the cannon fodder with ease again. Apart from Leicester the rest of the games are against teams who are pretty poor and I fully expect to score plenty against them.
Everton could be sticky...

Just looked....we've played them. feck sake...age getting to me.

Palace away is never easy for us. Should see plenty of the ball mind.

It's a decent run in...

Last edited:

Roane

Very good win, and that goal ooft

However I still worry that there is a lack of movement from our front men in and around the opposition box.

NoneBmStore

If just Ed would have bought Bruno last summer we would easily have been 2nd
Its actually enjoyable watching United played again. Not getting ahead of myself and just trying to enjoy every minute

RashyForPM

Love how we’re simply putting teams to bed now with minimal fuss. We were at it from minute 1 and while Brighton had a mini resurgence after our third goal, you could tell that was because we rightly went into rest mode and genuinely could have scored 6 if we wanted to. We’ve taken two well-organised teams apart now, so let’s do the same to Bournemouth, who are a decent attacking outfit but aside from Ake, cannot defend to save their lives.

As for our individual players, De Gea was thankfully back to his best (Roy Keane ain’t saving that!), our defence was good and more solid than they needed to be due to Brighton’s lack of threat, Bruno and Pogba were nothing short of magical, Greenwood was explosive and Rashy and Martial were quiet (not for long, I’m sure). Unlike in 2019 though, we could afford that as with Pogba and Bruno, us fans now go into games expecting them to break teams down and earn us comfortable victories.

All in all, it was a fantastic away performance in a game we would have lost pre-Pognandes. Carry this on to Bournemouth on Saturday and for the rest of the season, and we’ll make top 4 at the very least.

gajender

Because their manager was shit scared of us and went defensive from get go, we hardly needed to get out of second gear this certainly bodes well for our future.
Shaw is couple of levels above Williams currently he is least of our concern right now.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Boo-urns! Always one to piss on ya chips

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 64% of 360 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 379 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win