PL W FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 September 2020

NRg

So many mixed feelings, I truly enjoyed our win but at the same time I can't help to feel the disappointment of the ongoing performances
I think its almost suicidal for us to make defensive changes in the last minutes. It just completely invites the pressure for the attacking team to have a go and although our defense is not that bad, it's obviously far away from the required quality to sustain such situations comfortably.
The midfield - why can't we control the ball against the so-called "lesser teams"? We are in front, Brighton is chasing and our midfield is just not being able to control it under pressure. If we fix this issue and combine it with the pace and talent we have upfront, it will immediately solve quite a few problems. Teams will not be able to press as hard as they are now because they'll know that if United goes past the initial wave, the front 3 will have a go behind at their defensive block.
I really hope the main issues are being worked on, it's the details that this team is lacking and obviously few better players to complete the squad. Hopefully we can and do it quickly because EPL will be brutal this year

Betson

I think all pen decision were got right in the end, Bruno a little unlucky but was just about a penalty , the disallowed Connolly one was the correct call too and the last one was the most obvious clear cut penalty , don't know why the Brighton players were going after the ref after the game , should be having a word with their teammate.

Jezpeza

Our defending is shit. I just cant fathom how we had £190m pounds of defenders on the pitch today yet look so easy to play through and concede so many chances. Then we bring on a third cb and concede from an unmarked header at the back post? Thats palace and brighton who have looked amazing against us because our defence look so unable to contain a game. 5 goals in two games against two mid table teams.

bondsname

I thought after Rashford's goal that we would pick it up and start playing better, but for some reason we put our foot of the gas, and let the Brighton players have a go for the rest of the match. I have no idea why, when we had that very brief spell up until Rashford goal, we looked 10 times the team Brighton was. Is it fitness, lack of confidence? The players can play much better but it feels like they don't believe in themselves.

If we don't get our fecking act together we're going to be more of a joke than we've been the past 3 years. Happy we won but this won't cut it, we won't always be this lucky.

Strelok

We missplaced a lot of simple passes today. People will jump on me for saying this but imo our players are clearly not match fit. For a professional player to miss such passes the only reason is match fitness or physical fitness. Imo we have some serious issues with both.

Would be curious to see the total distance the team run today. Except Bruno our front 4 basically didn't track back at all and left their midfielders run free.

sdb4884

We have until early October to get things right in the transfer market if nothing is done we won't be anywhere near the top 4 and today's game didn't do anything to change that despite the win, we were awful.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If I want to read whining and sourpuss armadas I go to the opposing teams forum and have a beer and read the post match thread. I come here to enjoy the celebration.

Some of you are a little bit ungrateful.

Greck

That right side was leaking all game. We should have reinforced it after one of their countless chances from that wing. Subpar game management

GenZRed

A penalty after the final whistle has been blown. Never thought that was even possible.

sport2793

Put that defence against decent finishers like Kane and the scousers and we could be really embarrassed in a few games this season.

I don't follow transfers that much, but the only defender I've seen rumours about is a left back? Shaw is the least of our worries in that back 4.
To be fair, Shaw could be blamed for Palace's first goal last week. We just aren't prepared and mentally ready and it's a shame.

I'm just so sad at how quickly things can fall apart, despite the win today. Lack of transfers due to the greedy Glazers, Maguire landing in a Greek prison, Greenwood getting kicked off the England squad, Pogba getting COVID on holiday. Just a real shambolic month it has been.

GenZRed

If I want to read whining and sourpuss armadas I go to the opposing teams forum and have a beer and read the post match thread. I come here to enjoy the celebration.

You would have thought, after the injustice against Palace in our last PL game, that more on here would take the 3 points and say that it is a case of evening out.

BorisManUtd

How on earth did we win that one :lol: luckiest win in long time

But a horrible performance really, I'll enjoy the moment but am scared for ourselves in games to come, Brighton have a chance for revenge on Wednesday already in the cup

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Cry me a river. What has deserve got to do with anything?

Scousers won about 10 games last season that they didn't deserve to win.

Who cares how we win as long as we win you big bunch of plonkers. It's football, not life or death.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
So many players not up to speed, very pedestrian, especially first half. Noticeable that second half we passed the ball quicker, and looked more like a team until we went in front, then we slowed the play again, why? I like AWB, but his positioning sometimes is awful, like the second goal, we had three central defenders, but he still took up a position almost centre of the goal, not far post. De Gea really didn't have many saves to make in all honesty, thought Shaw was one of our better players today, Maguire and Lindelof are to slow as a pair, Connelly showed our lack of pace, although they both played a little better, especially Lindelof, I still prefer Bailly. Matic was ok, but still slow in closing down, Pogba again disappointing, marking was poor, passing was poor, what's wrong with this guy? Fernandes was not really in the game, but even so created the best chances, and brilliant penalty. Front three didn't get a lot of opportunities, basically because we were so slow in the build up, Rashford showed little glimpses of form, shown in his goal, Martial's touch was not great, but thought Ben White kept him quiet, good player. Greenwood was a bit hot and cold, but he's still learning. Fred didn't really get into the game a lot, but several good passes and challenges, to me he gives the energy that is lacking when Matic and Pogba play. Bailly got some good interceptions, and almost got to the cross for Brighton's second goal, must be Maguire's partner in my opinion, VDB actually made some intelligent runs, and was instrumental in our winning goal, getting the corner. Very lucky to get three points today, but we will play much better than this and get no points.

zizou81

AWB was horrific. His positional awareness horrific. Its been going on for sometime. He's either a complete idiot or the coaches arent doing their jobs. A bit of both, but coaches need to do better to train the guy. Even after a back three he is still pulled in way to inside and leaving men unmarked. Alternatively he needs to man up and call for help from the wingers

TheMod

What a game...defensively we were awful but i'm buzzing after that win.

We need to improve drastically and we all know the areas that need to improve

At least now i can enjoy my weekend knowing we won :-)

roonaldo78

Dreadful performance and would have lost heavily if Brighton could finish, happy with the three points. Brighton will surprise a lot of teams this season.

tombombadil

Even if AWB did not notice anyone in the box behind him ... his positioning and tendency to get sucked in to the middle of the box was exposed for all to see. AWB was piss poor in his positioning. What was he doing standing in front of his centerback?

Greenwood either not tracking back or being asked to stay up as the counter attack out ball means that side is even more exposed. None of the midfielders went into to that gaping hole to help patch it up as well. I counted maybe FOUR consecutive one on one shots? hahaha

Nothing we can do here. Just drink a pint or 10 and go to sleep thankful we robbed the 3 points.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I was moaning like a good un throughout the game, but I went crazy when Bruno smashed the penalty in. That's what you should be watching football for when your team isn't at the top.

Can you imagine if Brighton had just got that result in the exact same way at OT their fans would be saying they can't enjoy it as they didn't play very well? :lol:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We are the worst coached/drilled team in the league.

Quickly losing my patience with the current coaching set up.

Pogba was dreadful and I don't want to make excuses for him but Ole needs to find a system that gets the best out of Pogba's creativity or it's best Pogba leaves. Having said that, Pogba's attitude was shocking today.
Can you explain to me a system where Pogba does not pass the ball to the opponent? You ARE making excuses for Pogba. While blaming Ole for him playing bad.

Ralph1386

We have until early October to get things right in the transfer market if nothing is done we won't be anywhere near the top 4 and today's game didn't do anything to change that despite the win, we were awful.
The problem is that we shouldn’t have even been in this position.

What’s done is done anyway. But even if we do get Telles and Sancho, do you think the players and Ole trust this board and think that they have the team’s best interest at heart?

This is why morale looks a bit low in the players’ and Ole’s body language like I said in theMatch day thread.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

How can you look at that performance and not be critical of it? You are only helping the opposition if you continue to back such a shite performance. We broke another negative record today, after breaking one last week against Palace. This is not a good look for a United team that use to win leagues and trophies consecutively.

Verminator

We should cut our losses with Pogba. No hard feelings but he’s just been such a nothing signing in the context of the fee and fanfare. We should not be thinking about giving him a pay rise.

AWB has never been and will never be anywhere near good enough. We paid £130m for him and Maguire which just beggars belief to be honest.
Pogba was the worst player on the pitch, by some distance. I gave him a rating of 1. He has recently recovered from Covid-19, and he should be cut a little slack.

He isn't close to form and fitness yet.
If he is as bad in a few weeks, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Really disappointed by some of our "fans", writing off the manager, team and players, after 30 minutes of our second game.
What would they think if they were watching us 1- 0 down, get hammered by Bayern, constantly hitting the woodwork, for 90 minutes?

red4ever 79

Terrible performance in fairness. Could've easily been 7-2 to them.
This. One of the worst coached performances I think I have ever seen. How bad was that second half. Every attack down our right and they almost scored. How have we spent 150m on AWB, Lindelof and Magure. Appalling. Desperate situation for Utd. Poor players, shite owners and a bang average manager

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Scrappy as feck, but I'll take it.

We have to improve drastically, though. The points today were more about luck than anything else.

Denis79

You could clearly see what system of play we're trying to achieve, only someone blind wouldn't. The boys just haven't hit match fitness yet. The way we played is irrelevant and can not be judged because our squad is thin and Brighton is a absolutely fantastic team.
What a shitshow that was...

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Pogba was the worst player on the pitch, by some distance. I gave him a rating of 1. He has recently recovered from Covid-19, and he should be cut a little slack.

He isn't close to form and fitness yet.
If he is as bad in a few weeks, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Really disappointed by some of our "fans", writing off the manager, team and players, after 30 minutes of our second game.
What would they think if they were watching us 1- 0 down, get hammered by Bayern, constantly hitting the woodwork, for 90 minutes?
I am not judging Pogba of the last two games and happen to think he’s been thrown in unnecessarily given his recent Covid illness. But, let’s be honest, he’s been poor for the outlay. He’s really not worth a new deal. Both sides need to look for something new.

rollingstoned1

Perhaps one of the few times when we win and I'm not even happy. Strange game. This is either a trailer for the season ahead or just karma for which we will get fecked over later in the season during an important game.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 358 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd