PL W FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 September 2020

arthurka

Diabolical performance.. Don't know what to say. Ole needs to take a hard look. Lindelöf starts again and Pogba strolling around. That change with Bailly just reeked of no confidence.

Toni's Left Foot

Can you explain to me a system where Pogba does not pass the ball to the opponent? You ARE making excuses for Pogba. While blaming Ole for him playing bad.
A system where we don't over rely on him to defend and be aware of runners.

Several times he was running back towards his own goal after a turn over and he is watching the man with the ball instead of looking for runners. No defensive awareness - he just doesn't have it.

We need to get the best out of his creativity.

I am not totally excusing him but he is obviously frustrated at the role he has been asked to perform. If you care to read my post again did I not slam him for his shocking attitude? He is not a team player and we should be getting rid.

gajender

We badly need a new CB, a new winger and preferably a new manager too. Delighted with that hilarious win though it's made my weekend, but yeah we ain't making top 4 with our current setup.
We would make top 4 this season again even Under Ole and with these players, but if we aspire for better than that squad needs further additions and may be change of manager.

micmac

Amazed that we won this game. Tough luck Brighton, should have won this by 6.

I don't know what to say about United. Is it the coaching or the board? How can one player like Sancho change this team?

It's a shame the amount our team is worth cannot even put in a sub par performance. The sad thing is when we play at home we wouldn't even have the home team advantage with supporters boosting the ego of these prema donnas.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer talking to BT Sport: "We got away with one. Maybe one point we deserved, we didn't deserve more.But the character deserved more.

"Last season we had too many draws, so that is a big plus for us. You have to be happy Jose is not here to measure the goal posts.

"They are a difficult team to play against. We don't have the legs and sharpness but we will get there. We have plenty of work ahead."
Imagine thinking that you deserved a point here. Ole.. common. Hearing that worries me.

ColvaleGoa

That was dire.

But let's take 3 points and forget this nightmare.

Rashford in form is one positive to take and Bruno's nerves of steel!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Our fitness seems to be off, but there are surely bigger problems. How we constantly let one Brighton player stand all alone on the backpost. How we can’t find ways through their pressure, we just move it slowly at the back until we get pressured then just give it away. Our attackers are isolated and have to pull off magic tricks on their own to ger things done. Our staff needs to up their game, soon!
Agree about the fitness. We're clearly behind there and need some work.

The back post thing had me totally flummoxed. It's basic stuff. I said in the week that we don't seem to have enough chatter back there and it seems like that's the only explanation for this because I don't believe the players are that stupid.

For the rest, I think our players are too assured. The way we responded after their penalty suggested some affront at the notion BHAs players were better. That's how we need to approach every match. It's like the staff are coddling them telling the team how great they are. All well and good but where's the motivation?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
We would make top 4 this season again even Under Ole and with these players, but if we aspire for better than that squad needs further additions and may be change of manager.
Not with how we've played so far.

We're behind Liverpool, City and Chelsea easily.

Spurs and Everton have also shown more than us too.

We'll be lucky to get top 4 again.

Albin Johansson

It felt like a loss and things will become embarrassing for everyone related to the club unless things drastically change.

Jean claude van hire

Performances like this don't do much for fans confidence (and they certainly don't help with our stress levels) but personally, for me, they are the ones I take most post match enjoyment from. The opposition fans will hate it despite the (justifiable?) criticism, I'm really going to enjoy the rest if the day!!

gajender

Not with how we've played so far.

We're behind Liverpool, City and Chelsea easily.

Spurs and Everton have also shown more than us too.

We'll be lucky to get top 4 again.
Our performances need to improve and I am confident they would, not concerned about Spurs , Everton or Chelsea let's revisit everything once atleast 10 games have been played things would be more clear by then.

jesperjaap

Lets forget the three points, again that was a shambles, almost as bad as last week. Though I have been impressed with Brighton so far this season, we shouldnt be comprehensively outplayed. Forget this fitness bs of an excuse as well.
Its simple, if Fernandes isnt playing magically, this is us, we saw very similar the last few games of last season when he wasnt reat either, the penalties and odd bit of quality (liek todays pass) and his workrate are masking that he isnt anywhere near the levels of the first couple of months.
There are literally holes and spaces all over the field. Fernandes and his criticism after the game was spot on. Our pressing at the front is poor, it isnt as a team. Our midfield protecting the back four is poor, only Matic is doing it at all. Our wide player coming back to help the full backs is poor (this is why I dont like Greenwood out wide, he isnt good at doing it and isnt good enough defensively to do it either when he is there). And as for our defence, it is just so weak. The two centre backs seem slow and without nouse, Shaw is still leaving way too much space and Bissaka is winning his one on ones but being caught out positionally too.

Our performance levels can go much higher obviously than they have been so far, individually most of the team have been awful so far, but it is just so evident, this side is still way short of being good enough consistently over a season to do anything at all bar over achieve for 3rd place...which we wont without further investment anyway

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
This is going to be a very long struggle of a season. We have largely been second best in both our games, and yet to play any of the big teams.

Member 113277

Completely undeserved.
I don't agree. Brighton had plenty of chances and missed them. We scored 1 more than they did, misses don't count. Neither do offside goals and we had two of those as well, so were much better at hitting the target than them.

Glideman

Right now the fans aren't confident, however, there is no reason why we can't improve and grow within the season. Happy for the win and remember the season isn't over in September.

elmo

Our performances need to improve and I am confident they would, not concerned about Spurs , Everton or Chelsea let's revisit everything once atleast 10 games have been played things would be more clear by then.
Our next 5 league games is Spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton.

We're in for a shocker if we don't.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Once again, our starting XI was questionable even if it looked better on paper. 4 of our 11 consisted of players who lacked match sharpness and/or fitness.
  • Wan-Bissaka: no pre-season, no international football, and played 2 matches in 5 days
  • Maguire: played 3 matches in 7 days
  • Matic: no pre-season, no international football [retired], and played 2 matches in 5 days
  • Pogba: no pre-season, no international football, lack of training due to COVID-19
Why select these four players in Premier League matches? Why didn't we go with a midfield 2 out of Fred, van de Beek, and McTominay? Why didn't we go with one of Dalot or Fosu-Mensah at right back? In this case, regardless of who we have on the bench, we should look to have the fittest possible starting XI in the Premier League and use the League Cup to let the players gain their fitness and sharpness. For whatever reason, though, we are taking a risk by going with players who aren't fit and sharp enough in the Premier League. Heck, we could have even had van de Beek in place of one of Greenwood or Martial given that he's sharper than those two.

When you find that two of the players who aren't fit enough are in our midfield, then that would explain why we struggled to take control of the match. We gave Brighton way too much space to play around us, and they rarely felt under pressure on the ball. The fact that we had our players spread out to try and create spaces failed us miserably; there were several occasions where Brighton's players outnumbered us and forced us back as a result. We played way too many long balls towards the middle, too, instead of to the flanks. If there are no short-passing options available, and everyone's spreading out, the best long pass to play is a diagonal out to the flank, not a straight pass through the middle, especially when the forwards aren't dropping deeper to drag defenders away.

However, we weren't all that terrible. In the second half, we saw glimpses of what made us so good, but it was too little too late. We made great use of the space on the left, and our counters left Brighton worried. The players played in shorter distances with each other and were able to combine better as a result. However, after ~15 minutes, the players started to fatigue, and we started to get sloppy on the ball. Martial, especially, was starting to become more prominent, but he fatigued quickly. Greenwood also got tired and is also receiving way more attention from the opposition. Rashford and Fernandes were bigger threats in the second half and kept Brighton in check. Fred also did a good job when he came on and allowed us to play on the counter whenever we kept the ball.

Our defending in the wide areas was absolutely diabolical. Brighton had an easy time putting the majority of crosses into the box. Their wide were barely closed down, and they were given way too much time to put the ball in. Shaw's typically good at these 1-on-1 battles, but instead of closing down the crosser, he kept hanging back to stop any potential overlapping pass. It didn't help that he had Matic (not fit) and Rashford (not tracking back well) to work with, but he still could have taken charge and attempted to close down the crosses. Wan-Bissaka was in an even more problematic situation; he had barely any football, he had less rest than most of his teammates, and he had barely any support from either Pogba or Greenwood.

TL;DR:
  • Ole: Questionable selection and lack of adaption to the team's lack of fitness and sharpness
  • We had moments in the 2nd half, but fatigue brought us back down
  • Terrible defending of wide areas again

Chief123

Some poor individual performances that game.

But one thing I was baffled by was the penalty against Pogba which got over turned. Where on earth was Lindelof going?! He was near the half way like leaving Pogba and Maguire the furthest back defenders. That was just bonkers. Pogba should never have been the last man back there.

KristianMackle

We have to really talk about AWB and his positioning. That's a massive chink in his armour and the fact that our players weren't reorganizing themselves to help on that left also baffles me.

Pogba is obviously not fit but he doesn't that start a much sharper and fitter VDB.
I'm not sure if this 4-2-3-1 or 433 formation is helping us much.

elmo

Once again, our starting XI was questionable even if it looked better on paper. 4 of our 11 consisted of players who lacked match sharpness and/or fitness.
  • Wan-Bissaka: no pre-season, no international football, and played 2 matches in 5 days
  • Maguire: played 3 matches in 7 days
  • Matic: no pre-season, no international football [retired], and played 2 matches in 5 days
  • Pogba: no pre-season, no international football, lack of training due to COVID-19
Why select these four players in Premier League matches? Why didn't we go with a midfield 2 out of Fred, van de Beek, and McTominay? Why didn't we go with one of Dalot or Fosu-Mensah at right back? In this case, regardless of who we have on the bench, we should look to have the fittest possible starting XI in the Premier League and use the League Cup to let the players gain their fitness and sharpness. For whatever reason, though, we are taking a risk by going with players who aren't fit and sharp enough in the Premier League. Heck, we could have even had van de Beek in place of one of Greenwood or Martial given that he's sharper than those two.

When you find that two of the players who aren't fit enough are in our midfield, then that would explain why we struggled to take control of the match. We gave Brighton way too much space to play around us, and they rarely felt under pressure on the ball. The fact that we had our players spread out to try and create spaces failed us miserably; there were several occasions where Brighton's players outnumbered us and forced us back as a result. We played way too many long balls towards the middle, too, instead of to the flanks. If there are no short-passing options available, and everyone's spreading out, the best long pass to play is a diagonal out to the flank, not a straight pass through the middle, especially when the forwards aren't dropping deeper to drag defenders away.

However, we weren't all that terrible. In the second half, we saw glimpses of what made us so good, but it was too little too late. We made great use of the space on the left, and our counters left Brighton worried. The players played in shorter distances with each other and were able to combine better as a result. However, after ~15 minutes, the players started to fatigue, and we started to get sloppy on the ball. Martial, especially, was starting to become more prominent, but he fatigued quickly. Greenwood also got tired and is also receiving way more attention from the opposition. Rashford and Fernandes were bigger threats in the second half and kept Brighton in check. Fred also did a good job when he came on and allowed us to play on the counter whenever we kept the ball.

Our defending in the wide areas was absolutely diabolical. Brighton had an easy time putting the majority of crosses into the box. Their wide were barely closed down, and they were given way too much time to put the ball in. Shaw's typically good at these 1-on-1 battles, but instead of closing down the crosser, he kept hanging back to stop any potential overlapping pass. It didn't help that he had Matic (not fit) and Rashford (not tracking back well) to work with, but he still could have taken charge and attempted to close down the crosses. Wan-Bissaka was in an even more problematic situation; he had barely any football, he had less rest than most of his teammates, and he had barely any support from either Pogba or Greenwood.

TL;DR:
  • Ole: Questionable selection and lack of adaption to the team's lack of fitness and sharpness
  • We had moments in the 2nd half, but fatigue brought us back down
  • Terrible defending of wide areas again
It's simple, Ole always pick his starting 11 when they're available no matter if they're match fit or not.

We've seen him do it down the stretch last season when they were all knackered but he still went with the same starting 11 whenever possible.

Siorac

Shots against the post and bar are shots off target. Poor performance? Yes, but we would normally lose games like this.

And to the United fans saying its not deserved, how many times did we play well and drop points?
Not very often in recent years. Playing poorly and getting points is a far more frequent occurrence.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't agree. Brighton had plenty of chances and missed them. We scored 1 more than they did, misses don't count. Neither do offside goals and we had two of those as well, so were much better at hitting the target than them.
I like this take. If we'd have hit the frame five times and lost this forum would be critical of our player's poor finishing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
can we add in VAR and the woodwork for the MOM ratings?
Woodwork doesn’t save goals. Take the woodwork away & the shots would have resulted in goal kicks. Woodwork potentially helps the attacking teams as the shots often get put back into play.

We were not ‘lucky’ by the shots hitting the goalpost.

GameOn

Performances like this don't do much for fans confidence (and they certainly don't help with our stress levels) but personally, for me, they are the ones I take most post match enjoyment from. The opposition fans will hate it despite the (justifiable?) criticism, I'm really going to enjoy the rest if the day!!
I really enjoy those wins, when I know that we usually play much better and that our future is bright (challenging for titles etc.).

I can't enjoy them, when I know that we'll see that kind of horrible display at least several more times this season and that this performance was actually much closer to our actual level than many fans want to admit.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It's clear that nobody trusts our centre backs, AWB ended up just playing a centre back to cover our 2 biggest liabilities. That left that right hand side exposed because greenwood wasn't helping out there.

Backrow Singer

The disappointing thing for me about today was how poor we were in the effort areas of the game. We lost so many 50/50 challenges across the 90 minutes, we had players who were just being shrugged off the ball when in possession, whenever someone lost control of the ball Brighton were quicker to either retain it or win it back.

Obviously Ole is getting some criticism and a lot of it is fair but as a team, they need to be more aggressive in my opinion and show a little bit more fight and want when things get tough.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 358 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd