LC W League Cup Round of 16

Brighton & Hove Albion 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 30 September 2020

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yeah, some tangible plusses there. Henderson very impressive in almost everything he did. Has a presence about him, doesn't he? Bailly has to be a real contender for a starting spot. Donny has a quicker and more forward looking mindset than any of our other midfielders right now. Well, maybe I put that badly. He has a mixture of sharpness and positivity on the ball that the rest of them don't quite yet. I think he should be starting.

On the downside, Dalot out, Ighalo too.

hubbuh

Yeah, some tangible plusses there. Henderson very impressive in almost everything he did. Has a presence about him, doesn't he? Bailly has to be a real contender for a starting spot. Donny has a quicker and more forward looking mindset than any of our other midfielders right now. Well, maybe I put that badly. He has a mixture of sharpness and positivity on the ball that the rest of them don't quite yet. I think he should be starting.

On the downside, Dalot out, Ighalo too.
Agreed, agreed, and agreed. VdB has got one of those super quick thinking minds which in the final third is a genuine game changer and not easy to come by. Ighalo has made himself a hero in Nigeria and it’s been fun but we need better striking alternatives for Martial. All the best to him.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Imagine how good this United side would be if they were coached by Potter?
We won by individual brilliance. They looked a better side, just lacked quality.
Could not agree more. It seems to me that we have some brilliant players but are very poorly coached & organised.

pogs

Lack of depth in both wings is evident... we need noth Chiesa AND Dembele.. if we cannot get Sancho.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
Imagine how good this United side would be if they were coached by Potter?
We won by individual brilliance. They looked a better side, just lacked quality.
I remember people saying that about Eddie Howe and right after he got Bournemuth relegated. I swear people in this place have the shortest view I have ever seen.

Devil may care

We were comfortable in the first half but didn't really create anything, good to see us get a goal from a set piece though. When Rashford and Pogba came on we went up a gear or two and finished them off, bit like against Luton. Of the starters Bailly, Mata and Van de Beek played well.

criticalanalysis

Glad we won and enjoyed the last 25 mins...but no one concerned or frustrated at how they pinned us back, beat our press, moved us from side to side and played triangles around us?

Call it a glorified pre-season game for fitness or whatever but if I was playing, my professional pride/ego would have taken a massive hit. Embarassing at how well organised they were playing compared to us. 7ft defender Burn playing like an overlapping winger at times :/

On individual quality and reactive, pounce on their mistakes 'plan' won us the game but yikes man.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Much needed run of victories after the opening day defeat. Hoping we do it in style on Sunday.

Adcuth

Anyone else love the look of us when we kinda had 2 #10's behind a striker but players behind backing them up. Makes me think that a 4222 suits us so much better. Imagine getting pogba and Bruno working behind Rashford or martial. Find a way to fit Donny in there too. Maybe further back with Mctominay or Matic. Wing backs providing width and Bailly being an all out guardian like he was tonight.

Also, does Henderson organise his defence better than De Gea?

always_hoping

[/QUOTE]
I remember people saying that about Eddie Howe and right after he got Bournemuth relegated. I swear people in this place have the shortest view I have ever seen.
The hype by some about Potter is ridiculous.

Last 4 games against Potters Brighton was 4 United wins. 12 goals scored and 3 conceded. And United will beat Potters Brighton again in Old Trafford later this season.

And before anyone say its only Brighton and United should beat them everytime with a decent coach. The special one Jose lost twice as United manager against Brighton

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Bailley will get a lot of praise for today, but he makes me nervous. That one tackle he made was a perfect example of why. It ended up being a brilliant tackle, but the way he went in, it doesn't need to be timed much differently for it to go from a brilliant tackle to a red card.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He lost to us 3-2 whilst playing better, and now comprhensively beaten 3-0, but the guy thinks Potter should be managing us? Just why? How do you come to that conclusion?

Dike_Manc

Bailley will get a lot of praise for today, but he makes me nervous. That one tackle he made was a perfect example of why. It ended up being a brilliant tackle, but the way he went in, it doesn't need to be timed much differently for it to go from a brilliant tackle to a red card.
You won't look very far around you to find me in that same boat. Definitely not convinced with him either, just too rash. Still prefer him to Lindelof though.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You won't look very far around you to find me in that same boat. Definitely not convinced with him either, just too rash. Still prefer him to Lindelof though.
Highlighting one challenge is lacking a bit of perspective I feel. We've seen our greatest defenders: Rio, Vidic,Bruce,Stam etc make similar challenges but because they were more consistent they're always hailed as brilliant.

In isolation it was risky but when you consider how assured and strong he was throughout, it was much in keeping with his overall performance. When he first started he looked like a good CB in the making but decision making lat him down along with injuries. There's a good defender in there and one that is far and above Lindelhof.

zizou81

You could say Dalot lost his chance, but he needs a run of games to get some form. Never really got the chance.

yamo123x

Positives

Bailly- must stay fit
Deano- looks a real talent
Mata- not his biggest fan but best he has played in 3 years
VDB- Effective and clever when involved
McT- Had a good game gave us a bit of bite

Negatives

James is so poor, naive and totally lost out there—I feel sorry for him now, he needs a loan or to move on. Arguably one of the worst players I’ve seen in an utd shirt along with.. Bellion, Bebe, Obertan, Prunier, Manucho etc

Dalot- played like he didn’t want to be there

Williams- Needs to stop throwing himself to the ground.

Lindelof- Weak again, got done 4 or 5 times, too nice

Ighalo- looks unfit and sloppy. Started well for us but just a stop gap, never a starter

meamth

Solid performance.

Another win against Spurs will shut up the moaners, at least for a while.

3 wins 1 lose, I'd take that.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There is not a player in Manchester United I want more to have success on the pitch than Juan Mata (and recently Marcus Rashford). So happy to see him have a commandeering performance again.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
16 away games undefeated now, not bad for a shit squad managed by a skool teecher.
Your best away run since 1999 apparently - I understand why fans are so angry now :lol:

iHicksy

So I watched the second half and these are my takeaways for those that didn't see the game.

Henderson - personally i'm of the opinion that he is better than De Gea. He provides everything De Gea does and more. I watched him a ton last season since I had him in my Fantasy Football team and he was the difference for Sheffield United's defence. He has the rare ability to do nothing all game, then pull out a world class save (Much like Edwin). Why is this rare? It takes a special kind of keeper to maintain focus when they aren't being tested constantly. However, he can also withstand a barrage of shots. His shot stopping is equal to De Gea at his peak but what I really like about him is that he's a commanding presence and he's good in the air. De Gea for all his shot stopping ability (which has regressed in recent years) is not a commanding keeper, for me at least. When I watch United games he instills a sense of nervousness in me, Henderson exudes confidence and I don't as yet see a flaw in his game.

Bailly - i've always thought that he was our most naturally gifted defender, not only in terms of technical ability but I think he's the best tackler on the team aside from AWB. More importantly, he provides a balance which we've been missing since Rio. That balance is party his aggression and playstyle but also his pace. It means, that any errors (not that he makes many) he does make he can use his pace as a get out of jail card. We simply will be a better defensive outfit partnering him alongside Maguire. He's pretty much everything which Lindelof is missing. He's a ball playing centre back with aggression and pace.

Mata - looked very, very fit. This was the Juan Mata that we used to see for Chelsea winning player of the year awards. I've not been his biggest fan in recent years. I think he's too easily bullied and for all his technical ability he gives the ball away too much. However, last night he was the best player on the pitch. Put him with players who can perform intricate passing movements and he really shines. Against packed defenses I think he would be a revelation playing with a second attacking midfielder behind a lone striker. VDB and Mata behind Martial would score a ton of tap ins.

VDB - he simply needs to be one of the first names on the team sheet. His passing is on another level (the same level as Mata's) and his movement and vision between the lines is exactly what we need. However, he needs to be playing with others who are at the same level. One of the reasons we looked good going forward at times was because Mata and VDB are both capable of performing intricate passing moves. Personally i'd like to see him and Pogba/Bruno both playing behind two strikers. Something like a 4-2-2-2. Regardless he needs to be starting.

Igahlo - I can see now why he doesn't get much game time. Looks really unfit and off the pace. Looks to have regressed since we extended his loan which is a shame.

Dalot - he's probably one of the better crosses in our squad. However, he can't play right back. His positioning is pretty bad and he doesn't have the qualities needed to recover when out of position. He's very very weak and the brighton left side bullied him physically with ease. The only way to get the most out of him is to play him as a right sided attacker (where I believe he used to play when even younger) or in a quarter back role (aka trent) but you'd need a midfielder to cover for his defensive liabilities. Could be used as an attacking option when teams park the bus from right back, but he's certainly a defensive liability.

Last edited:

Maureen-yo

So I watched the second half and these are my takeaways for those that didn't see the game.

Henderson - personally i'm off the opinion that he is better than De Gea. He provides everything De Gea does and more. I watched him a ton last season since I had him in my Fantasy Football team and he was the difference for Sheffield United's defence. He has the rare ability to do nothing all game, then pull out a world class save (Much like Edwin). Why is this rare? It takes a special kind of keeper to maintain focus when they aren't being tested constantly. However, he can also withstand a barrage of shots. His shot stopping is equal to De Gea at his peak but what I really like about him is that he's a commanding presence and he's good in the air. De Gea for all his shot stopping ability (which has regressed in recent years) is not a commanding keeper, for me at least. When I watch United games he instills a sense of nervousness in me, Henderson exudes confidence and I don't as yet see a flaw in his game.

Bailly - i've always thought that he was our most naturally gifted defender, not only in terms of technical ability but I think he's the best tackler on the team aside from AWB. More importantly, he provides a balance which we've been missing since Rio. That balance is party his aggression and playstyle but also his pace. It means, that any errors (not that he makes many) he does make he can use his pace as a get out of jail card. We simply will be a better defensive outfit partnering him alongside Maguire. He's pretty much everything which Lindelof is missing. He's a ball playing centre back with aggression and pace.

Mata - looked very, very fit. This was the Juan Mata that we used to see for Chelsea winning player of the year awards. I've not been his biggest fan in recent years. I think he's too easily bullied and for all his technical ability he gives the ball away too much. However, last night he was the best player on the pitch. Put him with players who can perform intricate passing movements and he really shines. Against packed defenses I think he would be a revelation playing with a second attacking midfielder behind a lone striker. VDB and Mata behind Martial would score a ton of tap ins.

VDB - he simply needs to be one of the first names on the team sheet. His passing is on another level (the same level as Mata's) and his movement and vision between the lines is exactly what we need. However, he needs to be playing with others who are at the same level. One of the reasons we looked good going forward at times was because Mata and VDB are both capable of performing intricate passing moves. Personally i'd like to see him and Pogba/Bruno both playing behind two strikers. Something like a 4-2-2-2. Regardless he needs to be starting.

Igahlo - I can see now why he doesn't get much game time. Looks really unfit and off the pace. Looks to have regressed since we extended his loan which is a shame.

Dalot - he's probably one of the better crosses in our squad. However, he can't play right back. His positioning is pretty bad and he doesn't have the qualities needed to recover when out of position. He's very very weak and the brighton left side bullied him physically with ease. The only way to get the most out of him is to play him as a right sided attacker (where I believe he used to play when even younger) or in a quarter back role (aka trent) but you'd need a midfielder to cover for his defensive liabilities. Could be used as an attacking option when teams park the bus from right back, but he's certainly a defensive liability.

Henderson - personally i'm off the opinion that he is better than De Gea. He provides everything De Gea does and more. I watched him a ton last season since I had him in my Fantasy Football team and he was the difference for Sheffield United's defence. He has the rare ability to do nothing all game, then pull out a world class save (Much like Edwin). Why is this rare? It takes a special kind of keeper to maintain focus when they aren't being tested constantly. However, he can also withstand a barrage of shots. His shot stopping is equal to De Gea at his peak but what I really like about him is that he's a commanding presence and he's good in the air. De Gea for all his shot stopping ability (which has regressed in recent years) is not a commanding keeper, for me at least. When I watch United games he instills a sense of nervousness in me, Henderson exudes confidence and I don't as yet see a flaw in his game.

agree that Bailey is the most natural CB in the seniors but for me Tuanzebe is the best at the club. He will be a big start for years to come.

Yes I agree regarding Dalit maybe being used higher up against teams with a low block, it makes no sense to keep AWB on, who offers little going forward, if teams are forsaking their attacking game for a defensive one.

Man of the Match

Juan Mata image Juan Mata 77% of 250 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 243 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw