PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 April 2021

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
3 wins away from top 4 finish in my opinion. Great result.. with injuries mounting, hopefully we will secure top 4 and go all for Europa league. Will be nice to see some silverware.

Bring on Grand dads

Bwuk

Let’s be honest that was a really poor performance and it’s been the norm far too often this season.

Heinzesight

He didn’t. Also loved how Greenwood received a booking for kicking, or rather deflecting a ball away, whereas Brighton received nothing for kicking it out of the stands in a similar situation.
Thanks mate...why am I not surprised.

You’re right, that Greenwood booking really did rub it in.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Top 4 done, now let's win the EL and finish 2nd. That would be clear improvement for any skeptic of Ole.

I am, though, really concerned that we can't possess the ball and kill the match off with a lead. I think there was one point when Fred (and he is not the only one at fault) gave the ball away 3 times in a row. This will bite us in the EL sooner or later.

Riz

+2 on Chelsea
+3 on West Ham
+3 on Everton
+3 on Spurs

A very important win to cap off an excellent weekend of results. Thought Maguire and Shaw were brilliant. Greenwood unlucky not score.
Above was after our last match vs West Ham. This weekend it’s minimum:
+3 on Leicester
+3 on Chelsea
+2 on Spurs

Looks like we’re shedding the caf tag of not taking advantage of rival slip ups.

25 points from losing positions this season, not sure what to make of that to be honest but we’re certainly not the same weak mentality side we were a few seasons back.

manichester

It wasn't pretty like a lot of our games this season but it's 3 valuable points. We started the game well and were moving the ball quickly and then after 10 minutes reverted to the tumescent sideways and backward passing.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It was a pretty insipid watch but to restrict Brighton to an XG of 0 in the second half is super impressive in fairness. Brighton create chances for fun anytime I watch them so I’m chuffed with that. Structurally we’re very good defensively which is something that gets missed I think because of the stupendously moronic goals we tend to concede.

Eddy_JukeZ

Good result.

Dire stuff at times though which has been the norm throughout the season.

Top 4 looks secured at least.

always_hoping

Let’s be honest that was a really poor performance and it’s been the norm far too often this season.
"Really Poor" argument can be made for the 1st half performance. Not so 2nd half.

Shots on goal
United 12
Brighton 0

Shots on target
United 7
Brighton 0

Gator Nate

Again we go down, again we win. This team may not play the style you like, but the mentality seems tough enough.

We started well enough but went a bit flat after that goal (which I thought was a good play). Brighton took a bit more inspiration from it than we should have allowed. Looked much better in the second half. As was pointed out previously, Brighton gave City no joy, either, with City only scraping a single goal out of the affair. Brighton is not a pushover.

Three points when Chelsea, Spurs, and Leicester drop points. Pretty much wrapped up top-4 and solidifying 2nd. Haven't lost a match since Sheffield United on Jan 27 - 10 league games unbeaten in a row.

Feeling pretty good going into the Granada matches. Same for Spurs.

Greenwood played well, Maguire was super-solid, Shaw didn't put a foot wrong. Pogba was steady, Bruno a little less so. I didn't think Fred was that bad. Rashford pushed on, deserved to come off.

Cavani was a bit flat, Wan-Bisaka and Lindelof were meh. Subs did their jobs, nothing magical. Oh, and Dean had a great save and an unlucky rebound. Other than that, he wasn't really bothered.

Giggsy13

It wasn’t though, 2nd half we were far superior. We don’t have the squad to compete with city but our record speaks for itself and we only have 4 losses, which is second best in the league. I’m not fully convinced by Ole but have to give him credit where it’s due, we have improved from last season.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Good comeback win. Much better second half again.

Potter has done a fantastic job at Brighton and it was never going to be easy today. He will likely get a job with one of the bigger teams soon, if he chooses to pursue it. He’s getting a lot of more than solid team performances out of a load of pretty average players.

Robertd0803

Good result, was looking dodgy there for a while.

I wish it didnt take until either conceding or the second fecking half some weeks to get going.

And feck off Welbeck but in much stronger terms.

GazTheLegend

Unsurprisingly the MOTD pundits convinced themselves that Brighton were robbed of a penalty, but then it's Shearer and Wright. I watched it a few times and if it was given for us I'd have thought it was a bit soft, personally, Harry Maguire puts his arm on welbecks shoulder but there's not a lot of contact.

GazTheLegend

They're claiming it was a stonewall penalty on MOTD... Piss off :lol:
Yeah it's one of those that if it was given they wouldn't have overturned it but it was just about the right decision I think. Maguires a bit lucky there in the end but - he was definitely caught napping.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Needed the win, got the win. Let's hope we win the EL now to have something to actually celebrate this season.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Good comeback win. Much better second half again.

Potter has done a fantastic job at Brighton and it was never going to be easy today. He will likely get a job with one of the bigger teams soon, if he chooses to pursue it. He’s getting a lot of more than solid team performances out of a load of pretty average players.
Has he? I personally see very little difference in terms of results from Chris Hughton (who I think is underated). Not enough to warrant a move to a top club. Sure he plays football "the right way" by today's football hipster standards, but I don't think he's particularly improved then to be honest.

Withnail

Yeah it's one of those that if it was given they wouldn't have overturned it but it was just about the right decision I think. Maguires a bit lucky there in the end but - he was definitely caught napping.
Yeah I know what you mean. It could have been given but it would have been very soft.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Has he? I personally see very little difference in terms of results from Chris Hughton (who I think is underated). Not enough to warrant a move to a top club. Sure he plays football "the right way" by today's football hipster, but I don't think he's particularly improved then to be honest.
Their xG is very impressive. With average finishing and goalkeeping, they are fighting for Europe this season.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
25 points from losing positions this season, not sure what to make of that to be honest but we’re certainly not the same weak mentality side we were a few seasons back.
A stat that rightly should be regarded as more impressive than frustrating and it makes me believe this team is confident and patient. I think we'd all like to see more urgency, though.

TheReligion

Abusive
A stat that rightly should be regarded as more impressive than frustrating and it makes me believe this team is confident and patient. I think we'd all like to see more urgency, though.
We need a bloody trophy Doc. Too many semi final defeats. Genuinely believe if this bunch can go all the way in a cup it will further enhance the mentality.

People still seen to forget we have the youngest average top 6 age.

GiddyUp

Unsurprisingly the MOTD pundits convinced themselves that Brighton were robbed of a penalty, but then it's Shearer and Wright. I watched it a few times and if it was given for us I'd have thought it was a bit soft, personally, Harry Maguire puts his arm on welbecks shoulder but there's not a lot of contact.
If that was Dan James he would have been booked with Shearer and Wright saying he needs to cut that out of his game.

lex talionis

Mates, we’ve been a job done club for quite a few years now and today was another job done performance. Moments of brilliance, again.

Fred put in a very nice shift. But I’d really like to see better, much better, from Wan-Bissaka.

Roosney

Great three points

Started the game like we were going to trash them badly, then somehow stopped playing and conceided. But then turned it around again and the second half was superb from us and deserved the win.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
We need a bloody trophy Doc. Too many semi final defeats. Genuinely believe if this bunch can go all the way in a cup it will further enhance the mentality.

People still seen to forget we have the youngest average top 6 age.
We do but getting to a final comes first. The lads have a great mentality (we'll win) but need to take it up a level (just win), maybe a trophy will instill that.

Infra-red

It was another poor performance. Obviously, given the other results this weekend, it was also a very important three points. Looking good for top 4 (and indeed top 3).

tjb

I don't really understand the "Greenwood didnt play well crew". He may not have been creative, but literally he was tidy every time he got the ball, get himself out of difficult situations time after time, displaying technical and physical attributes. He has balance and strength now, he can hold of players on the dribble.

For me, he's never going to really be creative, even though he can make good final passes and crosses when needed. He's a striker and what he has been displaying for over two months now shows that, both positive and negative.

tjb

This result gives us a chance to experiment now in the league in terms of formations, tactics and personnel.
We can see where and whether VDB fits for us.
We can test out youngsters, Amad and Hannibal, to see whether they can significantly contribute next season.
We can now give Greenwood full reign on the no.9 position and give him the experience necessary for next season.
We can determine whether either Fred or Mctominay can start next season and what role.
We can even experiment with Bruno's positon by testing his prowess in a 433 compared to a 4231, or even whether he can come in from the flanks.

Hopefully, ole uses the games wisely.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 39% of 262 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 253 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win