PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 April 2021

Alek M

Da manic one
I dozed off few times at least. Sideways passing master class. A second too late for the killer passes.

But epl teams know how to defend against us so granada will get stuffed

tjb

I dozed off few times at least. Sideways passing master class. A second too late for the killer passes.

But epl teams know how to defend against us so granada will get stuffed
This is what annoys me. We are an attacking and work best when we have space to attack. In order to create that space, we can either play more direct, move the ball quickly or both. We don't have and United never really will have the passing ability in midfield to break teams down with a slow tempo. That's just not who we are.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I like that when we go behind theses days I always fancy our chances of getting back into it and winning, I couldn’t say that a few years ago.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I like that when we go behind theses days I always fancy our chances of getting back into it and winning, I couldn’t say that a few years ago.
Yeap. 25 feckin points out of a total of 60 points from matches we had to come from behind. Thats amazing.

Cantonagotmehere

Luke Shaw was faultless today. Posters complaining about Rashfords performance have no idea. He's still our no 1 player. Priceless! Maguire is our Rolls Royce and Fred put a great shift in although still needs to tidy it up a tad. Good team performance. I'm as happy as a pig in shit. 3 pts on the board!
Well put. I thought Fred was great today. This is the type of game he is perfect for, provide cover and harass vs a poor team.

Marcus

VDB seems to be a possible solution to unlocking teams which are defensive.

Sea-Cow

Wasn't pretty but its a massive win. Very pleased that Rashford and Mason both got goals. And Bruno with another hilarious, Bruno-ish game where he gives the ball away time and time and time again, but then comes up with two huge goal involvements.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
We won. That's the most important thing. First half was terrible , second half was good. I like the come from behind points stats but at the same time can we not keep spotting teams a goal. A lot of the larger issues are still visible. With top 4 pretty much secure, ,the absolute priority must be the europa.

RashyForPM

It was a penalty. We, and Maguire got away with one there.
Nah. Nothing in it. Just a physical contest. One of those where I can say with a straight face that I wouldn’t be fuming if we were the ones who didn’t get the penalty.

Abhinav

First half was quite bad. Second half we played with much more composure and commitment. I was quite confident that we will come back and score the goals. That definitely is a step up from previous years when you had no confidence that the team can fight back.

MinGin

Not a very good performance, but the performance is good enough to catch the win.
This season, we are a team who are hard to get beaten.

cyril C

I don't think you will be thinking like this during 1st half, it was " Not again" feeling. In 2nd half it was much better.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
No it wasn't.
It really wasn’t, it’s one of those that looks bad in slow mo but in reality nothing in it. Before the days of VAR commentators would praise Maguire as being clever then and doing just enough for it not to be considered a pen.

Kostov

It really wasn’t, it’s one of those that looks bad in slow mo but in reality nothing in it. Before the days of VAR commentators would praise Maguire as being clever then and doing just enough for it not to be considered a pen.
I watched it on sportklub, who have a commentator who is a Liverpool fan and always whines about United. He banged on about being a clear cut penalty for half an hour, while in reality it was nothing, however these kind of cnuts do have a influence in public opinion. Nothing situation in reality.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I watched it on sportklub, who have a commentator who is a Liverpool fan and always whines about United. He banged on about being a clear cut penalty for half an hour, while in reality it was nothing, however these kind of cnuts do have a influence in public opinion. Nothing situation in reality.
Glad to see Liverpool fans back to moaning about united again as they struggle to get into the top 4! :D

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Ugh - another one-half performance and some here think that's totally acceptable. Nice to win but boy did we make hard work against yet another relegation-threatened side (although pretty sure they will escape).

Our build up is slow, and predictable, some people can't even control the ball while others have no idea how to pass a ball further than five yards (and that's so often backwards). No Plan B when things don't workout and a squad that at times is so thin you can see through it.

No doubt this will attract the usual abuse but if this is a manager knowing the club's DNA, then I'm Sir Alex Ferguson!

Good to see Greenwood score - he's been very unlucky in the past few weeks - and i thought Maguire and Lindelof were strong (particularly at the end when, as usual, we didn't go for the throat).

And, boy, it would be nice if we had players good enough to pick out our centre forward...

Seems to me, the powers that be have conned a lot of people into thinking this is progress

GazTheLegend

It was a penalty. We, and Maguire got away with one there.
As I said earlier in the thread it's one of those rare occasions when you ask yourself "would it have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch" and the answers probably not. Mike Dean let quite a few of that level of challenge/foul go in the game.

Brightonian

As I said earlier in the thread it's one of those rare occasions when you ask yourself "would it have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch" and the answers probably not. Mike Dean let quite a few of that level of challenge/foul go in the game.
Yep, Bruno being assaulted all game for example.

Swivel Hips

We won. That's the most important thing. First half was terrible , second half was good. I like the come from behind points stats but at the same time can we not keep spotting teams a goal. A lot of the larger issues are still visible. With top 4 pretty much secure, ,the absolute priority must be the europa.
i would argue that top 4 is not yet secure, yes, a lot of teams play each that are vying for top 4, but I believe we still need at least 4 wins, possibly 5. We have 4 home games, two of which are Fulham and Burnley, we know how,those are likely to pan out, plus Liverpool and Leicester, both good away teams. Our away games are also not givens, Spurs, Villa, Leeds and Wolves. The team I’m afraid that are the most likely to make top four are Liverpool, they are beginning to play well again, and looking at their run in, they could easily get 21/22 points

Maticmaker

Still 'finding a way to win' but its doing my head in!

Thought Fred was good, for a change, I've criticised him before but he did good last night, very few mistakes and when he did make them it was recoverable. Fred chased and challenged when some of our other players looked like they could doze off for a bit.

One touch of class from Rashford got us back into the game, but he doesn't look fit, think Ole is risking serious injury keep turning him out, but when he does just one thing like last night you can see why the risk!

Greenwood looked the most likely to score and he did eventually, although Donny was also on hand and might have got the touch if Mason had missed.

Danny Welbeck got his now customary goal against us at OT, but glad to see him playing regularly again, horrible catalogue of injuries throughout the last few years of his career.

Agreed with Brighton Manager over possible pen, if ref had given it VAR would not have overturned, similarly he didn't give it so VAR didn't overturn, smart play by Maguire.

On to next game.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yet again I thought Bissouma was excellent. If we don’t move for this lad but spend 80million on Rice, it’ll be so typical Utd

PTSTSL

It was classic Welbeck, one a smart double finish he converts, the other he gets his studs stuck in the turf and falls over. Sums him up.

Never a penalty.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
i would argue that top 4 is not yet secure, yes, a lot of teams play each that are vying for top 4, but I believe we still need at least 4 wins, possibly 5. We have 4 home games, two of which are Fulham and Burnley, we know how,those are likely to pan out, plus Liverpool and Leicester, both good away teams. Our away games are also not givens, Spurs, Villa, Leeds and Wolves. The team I’m afraid that are the most likely to make top four are Liverpool, they are beginning to play well again, and looking at their run in, they could easily get 21/22 points
8 games to go. Villa, Fulham, Burnley, Leeds and Wolves in there. We got this.

Devil may care

We are limping over the line, literally in Rashford's case, the team can dig out a result that's for sure but the football is trash.

CG1010

This is what annoys me. We are an attacking and work best when we have space to attack. In order to create that space, we can either play more direct, move the ball quickly or both. We don't have and United never really will have the passing ability in midfield to break teams down with a slow tempo. That's just not who we are.
Do you mean this current United or United in general historically? If its the former then I agree but if you are including Fergie's teams in this, then we had the likes of Scholes, Keane, Carrick in there, hello?

In fact I think that's what we need really, a very good passer in the midfield who can pass consistently accurately through the lines and either wings. This will create 1v1 positions and space for our attack to create magic.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 39% of 262 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 253 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw