PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sun, 07 August 2022

Jaykespeare88

Mctominay and Dalot mess messed up on the first goal, backing off allowed trossard to play in welbeck (mugged off both our cbs all game). Where was mctominay and fred for the second goal?? Rashford anonymous, as was Bruno. Our FBs werent in the game at all, its like we chucked out the gameplan for the first game, the build up was nothing like pre season, baffling!

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Scott McTominay and Fred. My God. I cannot believe that we still have these two clowns in the squad, never mind the fact that they are first choice starters for us. The reality is simple - if we don't sign some serious quality in midfield as well as a back up striker we'll struggle to make top 8.

DSG

Maguire and Martinez played better in the second half as Eriksen was competent in that controlling role and showing for the ball in tight areas whilst still progressing and recycling it.

They also grew in understanding one another as the game went on.

Bit of a worry EtH picked them as a pair unless he felt his hand was forced with Ronaldo.

Would have been better with Eriksen and one of Fred/Mctominay then looking at a different solution up top.
The more I watch Fred, the more I’m convinced that he can’t play that deep in a midfield two. He’s much better as an attack dog 8, pressing high up the pitch. He has no positional discipline and his error prone passing means he can’t play deep if we want to control possession. He’s a decent squad option and has his uses, but he should never be first choice in a United 11.

cyberman

Brighton's social media team giving it some

Fair enough.
I know it’s fun to laugh at United but we are being run into the ground by parasites to the point Chelsea weren’t allowed to be sold as we were for the good of the club. We are in that doomsday scenario and not a bit of sympathy.
Not that I expect it but (bar Barcelona) I like to think our fanbase calls these situations out when another club are being pillaged

Orange Tree

Eriksen as a false 9 was a mistake. When reading the lineup, I thought we are playing Rashford up front and Bruno on the left.

Eriksen in the middle would have helped us keeping the ball a bit.

BarstoolProphet

It's actually a full-blown crisis for our status as a top club but I bet many will see it as "just the first game of the season".

TheReligion

Abusive
The more I watch Fred, the more I’m convinced that he can’t play that deep in a midfield two. He’s much better as an attack dog 8, pressing high up the pitch. He has no positional discipline and his error prone passing means he can’t play deep if we want to control possession. He’s a decent squad option and has his uses, but he should never be first choice in a United 11.
Agree totally. I think you could use him in certain games but definitely not as the deepest midfielder and not with Mctominay

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
One of the more promising losses we’ve had. Improvement on last season going on that second half.

I’m not panicking at all. Players need to settle and despite Martinez shaky start he came good in the end. Maguire looked fantastic too in that second half. On the ball he was quality and calm defensively,

I’m very concenred with the duos of McTomminay, Dalot and Ronaldo, Rashford in this 11. Didn’t see much understanding / quality from those today.

Erikssen is pleasure to watch though. Wonderful player.
I've read that a million times written by fans who support a club with a new coach. "We see glimpses of what he wants to do!", "it will pay"! "The Koemanball is going to be something else"! Most of the time they're only projectinf fantasies.

Don't get me wrong, ETH could totally succeed over time but there's nothing reassuring regarding today's game but the fact that Eriksen is a proper football player.

Litch

Sorry some players will never be good enough, hard lessons are better learnt early for this new manager….

ThanksBoss26

Sadly it wasn’t a shock and they’ll be plenty more games like that this season, hard to seeing us having more than 6 or 7 points from next 5 games.

You simply can’t play how ETH wants with these players but you also have to move away from same pragmatic approach we’ve used for years. It’s a huge mess that will take years to resolve. Unfortunately we’ve already delayed that by having such a bad transfer window.
Sounds about right yes

R'hllor

Are people really surprised, really? What did you expect after clean slate number 15 :lol:. Zero sympathy for ETH, coach them if its possible if not, he can start packing because pricks wont do him any favors on their own.

ThanksBoss26

did he not watch any games from last season? Why does it take him sitting on the side lines what should have been obvious over the last 24 months.
Guess it’s the nature of the job that managers will sometimes back themselves to get a tune out of players where others have failed.

Sadly in some of our cases, they’re simply not good enough.

justsomebloke

One of the more promising losses we’ve had. Improvement on last season going on that second half.

I’m not panicking at all. Players need to settle and despite Martinez shaky start he came good in the end. Maguire looked fantastic too in that second half. On the ball he was quality and calm defensively,

I’m very concenred with the duos of McTomminay, Dalot and Ronaldo, Rashford in this 11. Didn’t see much understanding / quality from those today.

Erikssen is pleasure to watch though. Wonderful player.
If we'd been improved from last season, we would hardly have lost deservedly to Brighton at home, no?

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
We are si uncomfortable on the ball and consistently only ever comfortable playing on the counter. Has been since mourinhos days. Players get the ball take few feets forward panic and passed to the nearest player, over hits it and the player receiving it struggles for control, panics and long ball it. It's like the ball is a time bomb, they just wanna get rid of it asap.

Teja

Yeah exactly this. I dunno why so many people keep trying this.

Carrick is seemingly the only one who used him appropriately.

CodeRed

Same team, new manager, same season.

Let's face it lads. We fell for it. Hook, lyne and sinc. I don't condone it but the guys who knocked on the chairman's front door should be saying to themselves...'You talked bullshit'.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
What is there to say really that couldn’t have been gleaned 3 months ago by the most knee jerk doomsayers? A never ending performative display of gross negligence from the idiots who run our club.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I dont believe they had better players man to man but it seems like it. Unknown random Brighton players link up drawing our players out of position and like clock work knew when to push and move. Its sickening. Ddg is absolutely terrified of the ball. He takes it time only to gif it long and lose possession.
Maybe new manager will need some time but how many more games you need to learn simple footballing common knowledge that you can't make it to Europe with the likes of mcfred mcguire and ddg. And what the feck is that triple youth substitutions at 90th minute. What's their purpose? Chase game? Blooding them? I don't get the culture of the club.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Groundhog day. Same old problems unfortunately which even a blind man can see at this point they have been there for so long.

Fred, can't be trusted in front of the defence, gives the ball away constantly

McTominay again constantly giving the ball away

Maguire losing confidence as soon as something goes wrong. Never hides though to his credit and wasn't that bad today

Rashford, just can't rediscover his old form, offers very little.

Wing backs offering zero footballing ability, seriously they are terrible. In a league where full backs are everything to the top teams, we have the worst pair in the league.

De Gea putting us under pressure with his distribution.

Sancho offering nothing

Bruno looking like nothing like the Bruno who arrived.

Positives are it's always good for a manager to get off to a bad start, usually a sign he will be a success (he says whilst praying)

The World Cup will give us a break from the depression of watching United in November instead of having to wait till June

Marcus

The kind of football we play, we are going to be open on the counter. So when we have chances, we must make them count.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Love how Brighton completely switched up their usual game to expose us. Sat back, let us feck up with the ball, and then had *** Guy Welbz bully us.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Hated. Adored. Never ignored.

We could be bottom of the league and we would still be everyone's biggest game of the season.
That's comforting. Top of the Living In Your Head Rent Free League. I'd rather we weren't utter dogshit, though :lol:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Handsome Devil

That was one day when we should be allowed to award a zero in the players' ratings.
And on the subject of ratings, shouldn't we be able to give a rating out of 10 for the manager's performance?
I would give ETH a 5 today. Some impressive note taking in using his matching fountain pen and notebook (probably a gift from LVH) but those substitutions at the ninetieth minute, what a rookie-like mistake. They hardly got a touch when Brighton went all Lioness.

ShinjiNinja26

What’s very concerning is both these sides looked very evenly matched and that simply shouldn’t be the case. Yes Brighton are a well coached team but they’re still a club that view finishing in the top half of the table as a successful season whereas we’re supposedly aiming to finish top 4. Worrying times to say the least.

GreatDane

I think Dalot is better than AWB and have been wanting him to get more chances but fully agree with you that he was terrible today. Everytime he got the ball he passed it straight back to Maguire or our midfielders. So scared today. So many opportunities to cross and he chose not to.
I agree that's he better than AWB, and I also thought that he looked pretty decent/good in pre-season, but he really needs to show it when it matters and he haven't done that.
He wasn't the only one shit out there, but he's one of them.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm not too bummed to be honest , many positives to be taken, I really liked phases of play were we showed intent and I can definitely see improvements in our playing style.

Both Eriksen and Martinez were pretty good, especially Eriksen who brought calmness to our midfield when playing deeper.
De Gea has improved himself but still has those wayward passes in him from time to time.
Sancho has improved and im looking forward to see how he develops.
I liked the intent Malacia showed but he couldn't show off much due to when he came on and had too many fouls but i prefer to see him start if Shaw still doesn't bother to put a shift in.
Maguire is seemingly back to his best which is good.
Ronaldo improved us immediately when he came on.

On the other hand Bruno was abysmal and I would like to see him benched in favor of Eriksen if he keeps this up.
Rashford is still abysmal.
Scott was dreadful, Fred put a shift in but he wasn't great either.
Dalot was shit, we knew this.
Shaw didn't bother to show up.

In short iM excited for the future but still a lot of work to be done and we definitely need a midfield acquisition, fingers crossed it'll be frenkie.

RedMarcus

It's really not hard to understand the problem.

Back in 2011-12 season, Paul Scholes was dragged out of retirement because our central midfield was desperately short of quality. Since then we have purchased Fellaini, Herrera, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Pogba, Matic, Fred, Van De Beek.

The only player out of that list who was the right calibre of player was Pogba who at the time looked to be a good signing (what a disaster that turned out to be). We are constantly targeting a sub standard level of player for this crucial position and until we resolve this, anyone who thinks we are going to be even remotely successful is deluded.

And there is no way FDJ is coming and the fact that he shows no interest in playing for us tells me he will be another player just there for the paycheck with no desire to play for the shirt. We need to be signing players who want to actually play for us. We simply cannot carry on with McFred if we want to finish in the top half.

OrcaFat

Shaw was awful. There were times when we had possession with our CB's, he had acres of space in front of him, and instead of pushing forward to commit their wingbacks by opening up the possibility of a switch, he just hung around in line with Martinez marking space. I was like WTF?

Reminded me about the Jose quote: someone has to think for him. Or he is just too lazy.

ETH has to learn quick with this lot, and I'm betting a lot of them won't be starters for long if he is half the manager I think (hope!) he is.
If he continues like that then fine, bench him. But to say he should never play for this club again, no, that’s not right. He’s a good player. I don’t know why he plays below his best sometimes but that can be corrected. And he has more to give beyond the best we’ve seen of him up to now. Talent-wise he is among the best we’ve got.

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 404.85714285714 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man Utd 2:0 Brighton
  • 22% Man Utd 2:1 Brighton