PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Tue, 29 January 2019

beingshe7don

Thought both fullbacks and especially Shaw were very good tonight, not sure what more you want so badly you want to replace both.
Shaw was good but Ashley Young was just awful. His biggest strength is his crossing and none of his crosses made it to our strikers.

MyDevil

Rotation needs to happen when there are more games to come within the weeks. Just pity that the squad players did not step up.

Fred had his chance last time but failed miserably. It is Pereira's chance now. So, it make sense with the change but disappointed with his performance. It shows that we have big gaps between the first team and squad players.

Overall, I thought we are ok except for that defending mistakes. Just that Burnley defense and goalkeeping were too stubborn.

Now, let's see how Ole rise up from this setback.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
In between a partially lucky win against Spurs and a win against Arsenal, I feel like we've been gradually getting worse against the smaller teams again. I just have a bad feeling more points will be dropped in the coming weeks, right before our hard period next month.

It's just strange that Ole decided to go with Jose's tactics tonight. Every time he's played Mata we've looked sub par.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Frankly I don't think the comeback was that unexpected. This team under Mourinho came back from 2-0 down to win 2-3 multiple times. They wouldn't have lost that mentality instantly just because of a change in manager, particularly one who encourages them to attack all game. Our players are generally mentally quite strong.

beingshe7don

Couple of things I took from the game
---------------------------------------------------
1. Rashford was wasteful today and should have finished the opportunity he had in the first half. At this level, the very least he should have done was atleast tested the goalkeeper. Simply disappointing.
2. I've been a huge fan of Periera but whenever given the chance in an actual game that counts, he's always not lived up to expectations. He was terrible in the first half as it is but to give away the ball that led to the goal was just criminal. Simply not good enough. I would just let him go since his contract will run in the summer.
3. Phil Jones, the enigma... If there's one guy that angers me this season, it's Phil Jones whose just a piece of crap. He's looked nothing but crap. He's been at OT for so many years and he still ends up being shite... Periera was cornered by two Burnley players and he chose to still pass it to him which led to the mistake and eventually, the goal. Someone really needs to take note that Jones shouldn't be featuring for United. The guy is an absolute disgrace.
4. Mata just doesn't have it in him to survive in the PL at the highest level. He was completely ineffective. Another player I feel that should be moved on... Not because of this game but just because he's mediocre and he would be taking up 140k of the wage budget and a spot which I would give to someone else.
5. There was no attacking from the RW. It was completely dead and we kept hitting a wall. Mata with his inward movement and Young unable to cross took away that part of the game.
6. Sanchez and Lukaku don't really offer us 750k/ week worth of performances. One of them needs to be moved on and my preference would be Sanchez. He may have been responsible for the Lindelog goal but he was pretty average and I think his performances haven't been of superstar quality.
7. Losing points at home to a team that's battling relegation is just not acceptable.
8. Ole took too many risks today... Pereira, Jones, Mata and Lukaku were too many changes to the first 11.

Frank Grimes

Relax, 14 games to go and if chelsea win the gap is just 5 points. Anything can happen, lets see how Spurs do too. No Kane Ali Son and Erikson for at least a month. Yeah we have a big few games left but we cannot win them all and some players needed a break. Ole is fairly giving everyone a chance and some have not grabbed it with both hands. 4th should still be the minimum, Arsenal also have City next! We beat Fulham and we are 5th.
I said it was going to be very difficult, far from impossible but it was 2 vital points lost and it was due to a bad team selection whatever way you look at it.

OleGunnar20

So I couldn't watch the game tonight and so popped my head in and out of the match day thread to get my fix, some of the histrionics were bonkers. Think I'll just stick to MOTD in future.

Ole's team selection was as many have pointed out pretty dysfunctional, however I think it says more for our lack of depth than his poor decision making.

We should have the squad to rotate 3/4 players for a home game against Burnley and still be comfortable in playing our own game. Unfortunately we're still a minor rebuild away from there as things stand.

I'd like to see at least one midfielder brought in in the summer, preferably someone who can dictate play with a bit of defensive nous. Perhaps Neves or Ndidi ? Paredes would seem ideal but not sure whether he's nailed on for PSG.

Pereira is (for me) never going to cut it, I wonder if Garner would be capable of stepping in as backup next season? I don't watch enough youth these days to know really.

Also feel that Lukaku and Sanchez should ideally be moved on, with a RW and perhaps Greenwood / Chong stepping in to fill the gaps. I'm not sure how feasible that'll be however, tricky situation.

Anyway, great fighting spirit to salvage the point! Well done the lads.

Ole still firmly the man to take us forward as far as I'm concerned. Get him working with a top DOF and let's build a proper, United squad.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
I wish relegation on the game raising bastards. I've hated them since they beat us when they were first promoted years ago.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Encouraged by the fighting spirit shown by the team. Feel for Andreas.

Today shows we simply have too many average players starting for us.

Jones, Mata* & Young wouldn't look out of place at a midtable side.

*(I know Mata hasn't started many recently but we can do much better for his wages.)

I'll wait and see if we put our money where our mouth is and get rid of the players that clearly are holding us back.

Big summer ahead if we mean business...

Last edited:

cyril C

Not super annoyed but a couple of things:

Rashford scores after 5 mins the game is over IMo

Pereira again was shoddy. Mistake cost us big time there. Really poor

Lukaku was also poor again provides no link up

Mata was ok but just mata just ok

People underestimate how much Herrera helps control tempo of the team. Out today and we had a real lack of urgency moving the ball I thought.

Sanchez I was fit to throttle in last minute trying to force a 60 yard pass wide right and put it out for a goal kick

Overall disappointed not to win but 2-2 was decent response when we were 2 down with 5 to go.

Ole has to give players a chance. At home to burnley should be a prime chance to rest players. Some of them did not step up. Note it down and move On to the next one.

Lukaku no link up? What about the pass to Rashford? Lukaku did more in his limited time compared with Rashford for the entire match.

Be fair to Sanchez who just started 2 games so far, compared with Rashford and Martial.

wolvored

Of course he doesnt think he's a god!

Ferguson was all about rotating at the right time, a player here a player there. He would often talk about how crucial it was to have the whole squad fit, confident and in form with 10 matches to go. Occasionally even SAF would drop points but I'm sure he learned more about his players each and every time.

Ole said just the other day that there will be tests and he needed to see how players deal with them.

It was great to see Utd take it to them for the last 15 mins and Ole no doubt learned a lot from this.

You are really really forgetting where we were six weeks ago. None of these players were signed by Ole but he has brought so much spirit back to the players, the fans and the club in general.
Im not knocking Ole and the god thing was a joke. Hes done marvelous, but it shows that you cant keep changing the team and taking better players out just to shoe horn a player in who hasnt played for a while. Neither Mata or Periera are suited for the fast attacking style Ole is trying to implement in the team. We should have played our strongest 11 as on paper we could have racked up a big win to help our goal difference.

Cantonagotmehere

Don’t get the anti-Lukaku comments. No link up? He played in Rashford for a simple chance and had other good moments. He was getting chances and I thought taking him out was a bad choice.

I felt United would come back.....so nice to feel that way. Should have won but I sure loved watching the team again.

AC1689

There is some kind of madness going on around this place....

People want to continue giving Pereira chances despite the fact he’s never had a solid performance playing in the first team, and today was the icing on that very badly tasting cake. He’s not yet proved his worth, yet he’s 23. If he ain’t good now, he’s never going to be.

However, people are happy to move Sanchez on to a different club and not give him the same chance that they’re willing to gift to Pereira. Unlike Pereira, he’s proven himself in the PL. Time and time again for Arsenal. He’s had some good performances for us too. I would be very confident, that given game time, he will regain his best form. Surely his achievements at Arsenal should warrant more of a chance to be given here at United?!

I really don’t get this love affair with players just because they’re a product of the academy. A poor player is a poor player, regardless of where the heck he came from. Reality check needed.

reds_fan_aus

Supports
Napoli
When will it dawn on the heirarchy: YOU CANT HAVE MATA, JONES AND YOUNG PLAYING IN THE SAME TEAM FFS!

Please Ole tell me they made you play these below par squad players against your own comprehensive opinion?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Pathetic performance. They were super organised and we simply kept doing the same things throughout the game. I know they're cnuts and all, Bardsley leading that effort, but we knew that beforehand and we did not plan for it.

tomaldinho1

Very surprised that Ole went with that front three, against a team like Burnley who are super aggressive and physical I feel Mata was a near pointless option & Lukaku was just Lukaku. In honesty, everyone was pretty lacklustre although notable mentions to Lindelof and Matic who I thought did well.

We are very close to being a formidable side and I'm giving Ole benefit of the doubt in that I'm sure the niggles on Herrera and Martial were substantial enough to warrant resting them. We need an RW more than anything - especially since Young forgot how to cross.

logan99

I still do not understand the change of Alexis / Lukaku ... if we ended up depending on indecent Young crosses, at least Romelu could contribute more with his height {although to be fair Sanchez was involved in the second goal}.
I do not think that Alexis in those 23 minutes has played especially badly (although he seems to play better in the central zone) ... but the game required something else. Herrera and Lingard in my opinion. We put a lot of emphasis on long balls. We should have focused on the quick passes, but our midfield was not focused.

Our mistake was that we could not maintain an aggressive game from the beginning. It is still too early to panic! We hope that Ole learns from this experience, we are playing an offensive football and that has some risks (unless you want to return to the pragmatism of Mourinho}.

Last edited:

RedMilo

Just back from the game, and its fair to say when I saw the team selection entering the stadium, I feared he had made one change too many. It proved right as we really struggled and laboured until we went 2-0 down, then we started playing.

Pereira I have to say was awful tonight, poor pass selection, hits long balls when the short pass is what's needed, weak when pressed, he gave the ball away no end of times, I think some people have already commented on the gap between our first choice midfield (Matic. Herrera & Pogba) and our other options, and that was evident tonight. Herrera for me is vital to the way we play under Ole.

I thought Ole may rest one of the front three but when I saw Martial not in the squad and Lingard on the bench, our attacking intent was just non existent - Lukaku is a static No9 and Mata offers no width to the team, doesn't run in behind and is terribly weak when the team are not in possession.

Young's crossing deserves a mention, woeful...

All in all feel lucky to get a point.

On to the next one..

championo

Top Stalker
Good finish that, was exciting, I even got people who don't like game, pulling a chair to see the finish.
Question: Has Pobga lost his ability to strike the ball? He just goes for placements now. What is up? Injury?

Deleted member 101472

I wish relegation on the game raising bastards. I've hated them since they beat us when they were first promoted years ago.
They were very well organized, in fact the shape of their press was one of the best I’ve seen at OT. They stick with their 442 throughout which should have played into our hands, but with pogba drifting so much to the left we kept it a 2v2 battle in the centre of the park.

Nice simple tactics, press, put us under pressure, and lob the ball to their big strikers at any opportunity so they can bypass our own press.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's just strange that Ole decided to go with Jose's tactics tonight. Every time he's played Mata we've looked sub par.
What does this mean? He went with José tactics?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What does this mean? He went with José tactics?
Dissolve our right wing. Mata on the right means no right winger, which meant young was right wing, which meant again - no right wing. Also, playing both lukaku and mata up front means you have dissolved your high press.

You are now an ordinary mourinho team.

Mata still has use but not on the ‘right wing’. Not when you want to press high and break with pace.

So again, no right wing - you now need more out of striker and left wing. Well striker is lukaku who still pretends to play off shoulder of defender to hide from the game. That leaves left wing which was rashford, Shaw and pogba which is now easy to predict and defend.

We would have had a different game had rashford scored that chance but I’m glad he didn’t because this has drilled it into Ole’s mind that the whole mata young lukaku right wing is atrocious. Bonus is we got a thrilling end too :devil:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Never change a winning team, ole. Never
Doesnt work that way. You have to give some of the squad players chances. It does teach you lessons for the future though. For example Periera doesn't really seem good enough.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Ole out! Only joking. Shame our winning run has ended but great comeback from the players.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Dissolve our right wing. Mata on the right means no right winger, which meant young was right wing, which meant again - no right wing. Also, playing both lukaku and mata up front means you have dissolved your high press.

You are now an ordinary mourinho team.

Mata still has use but not on the ‘right wing’. Not when you want to press high and break with pace.

So again, no right wing - you now need more out of striker and left wing. Well striker is lukaku who still pretends to play off shoulder of defender to hide from the game. That leaves left wing which was rashford, Shaw and pogba which is now easy to predict and defend.

We would have had a different game had rashford scored that chance but I’m glad he didn’t because this has drilled it into Ole’s mind that the whole mata young lukaku right wing is atrocious. Bonus is we got a thrilling end too :devil:
I agree with your last sentiments. I see Ole as a very observant type and not stubborn or too complex. I think he will have learned from that, but I also think he sort of knew the risk.

I mean, he has to play the players he has got, it is not much of a tactic to play Mata and Lukaku while Martial were injured and at the same time resting Lingard and Ander. If we had other alternatives maybe we could say he abolished the system for this game but I certainly think that is unfair. He has shown who he wants to play, and what he wants to do, but he doesn't have the squad to do it every single game. We are going to need Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata, Pereira etc. to play a part if we are to compete in what are left of the season. Maybe if he loses faith in them he will prioritise certain things over other things but they still need to be involved in certain games. It is not right to say Ole had anything remotely similar to a Mourinho approach against Burnley, except for playing some of the same players.

Scholsey2004

Pereira's not good enough. He's not had a game for us where he didn't look a passenger. There's not even any real sparks of promise. Mata has-been underwhelming since we signed him.if we renew his contract then that's a mistake. Like another poster said, for his wages we can do better. His end product is virtually non existent.

Verminator

There is some kind of madness going on around this place....

People want to continue giving Pereira chances despite the fact he’s never had a solid performance playing in the first team, and today was the icing on that very badly tasting cake. He’s not yet proved his worth, yet he’s 23. If he ain’t good now, he’s never going to be.

However, people are happy to move Sanchez on to a different club and not give him the same chance that they’re willing to gift to Pereira. Unlike Pereira, he’s proven himself in the PL. Time and time again for Arsenal. He’s had some good performances for us too. I would be very confident, that given game time, he will regain his best form. Surely his achievements at Arsenal should warrant more of a chance to be given here at United?!

I really don’t get this love affair with players just because they’re a product of the academy. A poor player is a poor player, regardless of where the heck he came from. Reality check needed.
Pereira has just got into the team.
Sanchez has been here a year.
I think a year is enough time to get a better idea of what a player has to offer.

For the record, I'd drive them both to the airport.

moodyred

When Mourinho left, I said I want a manager who would play attacking football. Even if we were to lose the game, at least we go down fighting. This team did just that and I would rather watch this than Mourinho ball.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Way to undo 6 weeks of work in 1 game.

Rashford, currently our best player on form, moved into a completely different position just because one other person is injured, and in order to allow Lukaku and Mata to be useless for 90 minutes.

Lukaku moved back ahead of Rashford in the striker pecking order based on him doing well for 45 minutes against Arsenal, while playing on the wing? I don't understand this at all. It's the sort of thing Mourinho would do. Rashford didn't even play in the Arsenal game. Lingard was fit, Sanchez plays in Martial's position. There was no need or logical reason to sod around with the dynamic of a team that's been playing well.

You could tell after 10 minutes we were going to struggle because instead of our attack being fluid as it has been in recent games, Pogba was getting the ball and having to wait for someone just to make themselves available, Rashford was being forced to try and beat the entire defence instead of other players giving him the space to get in behind, as Lingard and Martial would and Sanchez's movement probably would have. Mata was taking 2-3 touches and spinning round in a circle to play even the most simple pass. Young was putting good balls into the box and Lukaku wasn't even there, so I have no idea what he was doing all game.

Pogba played well. Young played well. Rashford tried, but we've had too many games where we've handicapped ourselves this season to be able to afford to do it in anymore games at all. If you're going to make unforced changes you can't start fiddling with the dynamics at the same time. Players who have struggled with that all season or failed to play well enough to make it work, aren't going to magically make it work now. Liverpool can't afford to do stuff like this and are top of the league, so it's baffling why we think we're good enough to.

Scoring goals is also vitally important and you don't effectively drop your in form striker to the wing just to make room for other people. You wouldn't move Pogba to defensive midfield just to give Fred a game, so why on earth do it with the player who's goals are the only reason you won the previous two league games?

Honeslty I've loved Ole so far but stuff like this is just stupidity for the sake of it. There is nothing to gain from it. Poking holes in the bottom of your boat just to see if it will sink.

tieunhilang

Honeslty I've loved Ole so far but stuff like this is just stupidity for the sake of it. There is nothing to gain from it. Poking holes in the bottom of your boat just to see if it will sink.
Didn't many posters on here were looking to see how Ole would react after a loss and setback to see if he is worthy of a permanent job? :lol:

littleman

Don't understand the criticism of Ole.

This is Burnley AT HOME. We should be smashing them with a mostly first XI with a couple of second strings. If this isn't the place to play our seconds, what is?

If this isn't the game where a Perreira or Lukaku or Mata should Excel and justify a first XI place, then when?

I'd rather Herrera get rest after 8 straight ball busting performances than risk him getting injured and ruining our chances for the remaining schedule.

Truth is a little more simple -- Burnley played well, we didn't and our second strings are decidedly seconds. No one in the first XI will be feeling threatened after today. And all three of Perreira Lukaku and Mata are candidates to be shipped out in the summer. They'll have to fight for their MUFC career.

Personally I've never thought of Perreira offering anything much apart from being a neat and tidy player from the academy. He's never shown glimpses of brilliance that suggest he'll be an MUFC starter. Didn't impress at Valencia. He has a good social media team that keeps bigging him up here though, but performances don't lie.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I’m also bummed out we didn’t win, but there’s a lotta harsh comments on here. Some of you must have fecking amnesia. We didn’t play that poorly and on another day, Rashford finishes his early chances and we win easily. Fact of the matter is, we need to rotate players. The fight we showed at the end was equally both positive and encouraging. Hopefully, Ole and the team learn from this.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Don't understand the criticism of Ole.

This is Burnley AT HOME. We should be smashing them with a mostly first XI with a couple of second strings. If this isn't the place to play our seconds, what is?

If this isn't the game where a Perreira or Lukaku or Mata should Excel and justify a first XI place, then when?

I'd rather Herrera get rest after 8 straight ball busting performances than risk him getting injured and ruining our chances for the remaining schedule.

Truth is a little more simple -- Burnley played well, we didn't and our second strings are decidedly seconds. No one in the first XI will be feeling threatened after today. And all three of Perreira Lukaku and Mata are candidates to be shipped out in the summer. They'll have to fight for their MUFC career.

Personally I've never thought of Perreira offering anything much apart from being a neat and tidy player from the academy. He's never shown glimpses of brilliance that suggest he'll be an MUFC starter. Didn't impress at Valencia. He has a good social media team that keeps bigging him up here though, but performances don't lie.
We're not in 6th place due to bad luck. We're there because fiddling with the team and giving it no real direction has led to us struggling to win games like this. We're not good enough to do it. Neither is any team in the league which is why you never see the likes of Liverpool, Spurs, etc. do this...or when you do they also struggle (e.g. Chelsea trying to use Hazard through the middle)

I don't mind Ole making changes but he can't start fiddling with people's positions and roles at the same time and expect us to still win games. Mata instead of Lingard and Lukaku instead of Rashford, and Rashford on the wing instead of up top, means the entire front three is changed both in terms of the personel and what they can offer. You can't use Mata in the way you would use Lingard. You can't use Lukaku to do what Rashford has been doing so well. You can't expect Rashford to be effective as a left winger after playing him up front for 6 weeks. So you're gambling on some random concoction just clicking into place, when all the evidence this season suggests very strongly that it wont. You're asking the players behind them to just adapt to something completely different.

If we had injuries or no choice for wahtever reason, ok, but only Martial was injured, and Sanchez, who needs games as much as Lukaku or Mata do, could easily have played instead of him, in the same role.

You also don't learn if someone like Pereira can play in your first team if you only pick him when you completely feck around with what everyone in front of him is doing, in a situation where your other first choice midfielders are also going to struggle.

We threw away 2 points in order to learn and gain absolutely nothing, which I do find annoying and stupid. As I said, like poking holes in a boat to see if it sinks. You already know it will if you poke enough holes in it, so what's the purpose?

Golden Nugget

Rashford had one of those games where he did a lot right, but also a whole lot wrong. Should really have put us in front early.

Burnley defended really well - with Heaton once again being solid. Really good saves from Lukaku’s two efforts.

Jones and Pereira both cost us this one - they didn’t look like scoring at all. Finding it hard how people are blaming Ole for this.

I really felt we looked worse when Sanchez came on. Continually wasted possession.

All in all, disappointing result but a great comeback. Not that it would have made a difference, but a goal was scored, time was wasted during added time - and he blew the whistle on 4.58 in added time (right after blocking one of our passes)

littleman

We don't need to learn about Perreira when its Burnley at Home.

He should straight up dominate them.

If you don't have those standards for an MUFC player, you've gone soft. Thank God you're an armchair critic not part of our backroom.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I don't understand abuse for Mata. He had the game ticking and was constantly in the position to set up one-two's had we anyone that actually make runs properly.

I really don't understand what people want from the guy? He's very deep when playing, the box is packed with 8 or 9 opposition players and our players are like fecking statues.. You don't expect him to set up one two's and move forward himself like maybe Coutinho did for Liverpool, do you? He hasn't got the acceleration and explosiveness for that. Apart from that what the feck else is he suppose to do?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Wasn't angry at him for that performance really. He showed a bit of guts and heart, but ultimately I didn't expect him to make something happen and that is why. I can understand the frustrations of people who expected him to be really good and save us. He isn't that player, however he played pretty well.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 386 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Man Utd 3:0 Burnley
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley