PL W FA Premier League

Burnley 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 28 December 2019

The Irish Connection

Impressive team performance. I thought all the starting 11 performed well.

- De Gea punched a corner, did one sweeper keeper clearance and a decent save from Bardsley's shot.
- Lindelof and Maguire coped reasonably well with Burnley's aerial bombardment
- Williams driving forwards with the ball whenever he had the opportunity
- Matic composed in possession
- Pereira's hardwork and super through pass created Martial's opening goal. 3 other key passes.
- Martial getting plenty of good chances to score, one shot cleared off the line, another required a decent save from the keeper's foot, failed to shoot when through on goal one time.
- Dan James with a late assist after surviving some brutal challenges
Young played well.
And Fred was man of the match for me.
Excellent win. Thought we would struggle against their aggressive, defensive approach.
Ole deserves backing in January.

ManRed

Good game would have preferred a bit much control in the second half. Didn't help that the wingers were not really in form all game and Burnley kicking the little we tried to play.

Martial, Andreas, Young were all good.
Fred and Williams were outstanding.

Mike Dean needs to be demoted to championship after such a performance.

Andersons Dietician

Yo, I know Brandon Williams was decent and all but how the hell have you guys not voted Fred man of the match :confused:

Cantonagotmehere

F$ck Burnley. How can they get relegated to a sh!te league as soon as possible? Dyche whinging when Rahsford got stepped on takes the cake. What a d-bag.

Great win, proud of how the make shift middies played. Pereira is a good player to have on the squad.

RedDevilRoshi

You're really f****** angry.
I’m firstly very happy with the result and thought the lads done really well. These are the sort of games we tend to struggle in so was nice to see a positive performance and a deserved win for a change. I was just really angry with some of those repetitive dirty challenges those Burnley thugs were making. Mike Dean was also letting them getting away with it which was also pissing me off. On another day, you could easily be looking at 1-2 Utd players picking up a nasty injury which is the bloody last thing we need as our squad depth is pretty thin. One team came to play football, the other came to play MMA.

Overall, just glad to get the clean sheet victory and come out that game unscathed with no major injuries which could easily have occurred tonight.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
DDG - I thought he'd saved it into the goal again at first. Good job for not actually doing that. I enjoyed the tactic of taking SO long to take goal kicks that when he started doing it to timewaste towards the end it was impossible to book him because he wasn't actually taking any longer than before

Young - Why does he always pointlessly pretend to have a back injury at some point in the first half?
Lindelof - Pretty sure I saw him win a header at one point.
Maguire - Actually managed to go the entire second half without even mildly annoying me...although it could have been that the pace of the game was so slow it was impossible for him to be slower. Still, the defending was good
Williams - He reminds me of the Da Silva twins. Fantastic and also terrifying at the same time.

Matic - He really wasn't that bad, although I'm not sure he moved more than about 3 inches for the whole game.
Fred - In the process of making Neville look like a massive idiot for constantly patronising him...although the main thing making Neville look an idiot as that he keeps saying idiotic things.
Pereira - Bizarre player. Spends entire games looking useless then randomly comes up with a pass or cross that it's basically impossible for anyone who's useless to do.

James - Apparently you're allowed to just hack his leg off when he's running clean through on goal now and it's not a red card and no one even acts like it should have been.
Martial - Goalscoring record is starting to look quite impressive. Overdue a haircut.
Rashford - Actually managed to beat a defender and score by falling over and then tackling himself into the goal

Subs:
- I'll be honest, I was slightly drunk and can't actually remember who the subs were. I think Shaw came on and booted the ball into someone at some point?

Burnley - I mean, they're basically Stoke except not as good at being Stoke as Stoke were.

Mike Dean - Burnley's MOTM by a mile. Can anyone explain that WIlliams booking for diving? The Burnley keeper literally did exactly the same thing about 30 seconds later and he just blew for a freekick without any hesitation. Ignored James being caught by a near knee high stud challenge when he was through on goal. Ignored Bardsley assaulting Martial on the edge of the box to stop him running through on goal, when he was already on a yellow card. Managed to award a freekick on the edge of our box to Burnley for Maguire running into the ball and then kicking it. Managed to award them another freekick which they nearly scored from for Lindelof having his shirt pulled.

TypeR

Rashford - Actually managed to beat a defender and score by falling over and then tackling himself into the goal
:lol: This bit’s gold.

Good game overall, albeit more nervy than I’d have liked for most of the second half. Phil Bardsley saved them from conceding more goals, almost won them some points, and almost lost them the game all by himself. The rest of the team were...gormless. Mike Dean was their second best player on the night. Keeper comes a distant third.

croadyman

Will hold my hands up I was worried when I saw no Pogba or Wan Bissaka on the team sheet, however gotta give Matic & Young credit they did a job tonight.

I was also impressed by how well Lindelöf and Maguire handled Wood & Barnes considering how they had been bullied by Calvert-Lewin and Deeney recently.

MikeeMike

:lol: This bit’s gold.

Good game overall, albeit more nervy than I’d have liked for most of the second half. Phil Bardsley saved them from conceding more goals, almost won them some points, and almost lost them the game all by himself. The rest of the team were...gormless. Mike Dean was their second best player on the night. Keeper comes a distant third.
Maybe Im the only one, but I watched the Rashford finish a few times and actually thought he dummied the left foot over before contact with right. Might be just me but hey. Yeah got a lucky break from keeper before but the slide and move looks deliberate. GIF anyone?

baskinginthesun

DDG - I thought he'd saved it into the goal again at first. Good job for not actually doing that. I enjoyed the tactic of taking SO long to take goal kicks that when he started doing it to timewaste towards the end it was impossible to book him because he wasn't actually taking any longer than before

Young - Why does he always pointlessly pretend to have a back injury at some point in the first half?
Maguire - Actually managed to go the entire second half without even mildly annoying me...although it could have been that the pace of the game was so slow it was impossible for him to be slower. Still, the defending was good
Williams - He reminds me of the Da Silva twins. Fantastic and also terrifying at the same time.

Matic - He really wasn't that bad, although I'm not sure he moved more than about 3 inches for the whole game.
Fred - In the process of making Neville look like a massive idiot for constantly patronising him...although the main thing making Neville look an idiot as that he keeps saying idiotic things.
Pereira - Bizarre player. Spends entire games looking useless then randomly comes up with a pass or cross that it's basically impossible for anyone who's useless to do.

James - Apparently you're allowed to just hack his leg off when he's running clean through on goal now and it's not a red card and no one even acts like it should have been.
Martial - Goalscoring record is starting to look quite impressive. Overdue a haircut.

Subs:
- I'll be honest, I was slightly drunk and can't actually remember who the subs were. I think Shaw came on and booted the ball into someone at some point?

Burnley - I mean, they're basically Stoke except not as good at being Stoke as Stoke were.

Mike Dean - Burnley's MOTM by a mile. Can anyone explain that WIlliams booking for diving? The Burnley keeper literally did exactly the same thing about 30 seconds later and he just blew for a freekick without any hesitation. Ignored James being caught by a near knee high stud challenge when he was through on goal. Ignored Bardsley assaulting Martial on the edge of the box to stop him running through on goal, when he was already on a yellow card. Managed to award a freekick on the edge of our box to Burnley for Maguire running into the ball and then kicking it. Managed to award them another freekick which they nearly scored from for Lindelof having his shirt pulled.
Apt summary. The Rashford goal description was excellent.

Thought we looked comfortable. This was one of the wins where we weren't great due to the team we were playing but, was always going to win it.

binary bot
I love this current team. They may be extremely shite at times but theres something very endearing about the current crop

passing-wind

Is a really good result puts the pressure on Chelsea tommorow. We need to be more consistent the league is so poor at the moment that if you even win a handful of games consecutively they'll be a small gap.

Devil may care

Job done, we struggled to break them down in truth but we are at least getting ruthless when teams make mistakes, the first goal in particular was perfectly executed.

At the very least I think we are seeing a bit of progress, time will tell.

oz insomniac

Just watched most of the game, still am at a loss to see what Lingard actually does. May as well play Mo Farah as he will run around a lot as well, he is about as useful as a sunroof on a submarine. Loan him to Stoke or someone similar

Mr. Meeseeks

I love this current team. They may be extremely shite at times but theres something very endearing about the current crop
This! first time since Sir Alex
Hard to believe that people are still calling for Ole's head. What a bizarre fan-base we have accumulated over the last decade. Reading some of their posts I think that most of them would be happier supporting another team.

I am happy that we are going back to our traditions football wise and I hope that we stick by Ole for a long time to come. It is so clear what he is trying to do. Is only a matter of time or a few more signings until it all starts to click.

KrasHammerhand

I couldn’t believe that. Dean at his worst.
Well in Deans defence, he had a look and didn’t feel there was contact. From his angle looking in he actually gets blocked off from the contact. Given how Williams go over, if he feels no contact it’s a yellow. In hindsight he will know he got it wrong.

AlexUTD

Won a game i was not expecting to win, credit to the players and finally we are clinical! Mike Dean should not be a ref in PL. Fecking hell! and Burnley what a sad football team, only tactic they have is trying to injure our players, hope they get relegated!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Won a game i was not expecting to win, credit to the players and finally we are clinical! Mike Dean should not be a ref in PL. Fecking hell! and Burnley what a sad football team, only tactic they have is trying to injure our players, hope they get relegated!
I'm fairly sure that James plays with a steel plate on the top of his feet with the amount of studs he gets hit with every game. It's a miracle he's not fractured something yet

KrasHammerhand

Subs:

As a fan of the club, you are able to slip in a back handed compliment on just about everyone on the team. I understand ripping on them when they have a bad game, but even with a win all you compliments are negative.

i actually feel bad for you

moodyred

Was a steady display in general but every united fan must have been nervous being just one goal up given the way we throw games away in recent years.

Fred, Martial, Rashford, William, Pereira and De Gea played very well. Rashford is fast becoming world class.

tjb

Hard to believe that people are still calling for Ole's head. What a bizarre fan-base we have accumulated over the last decade. Reading some of their posts I think that most of them would be happier supporting another team.

I am happy that we are going back to our traditions football wise and I hope that we stick by Ole for a long time to come. It is so clear what he is trying to do. Is only a matter of time or a few more signings until it all starts to click.
It's lack of patience and a lack of awareness of what managers do. They are scared that Ole doesn't have what it takes to get us back where should be and would rather have a person in the job with a better track record. Which is totally fair. Where it becomes unfair is when these fans analyze player performances and use them to beat ole with tactical ineptitude. He has proven his prowess over the last year in big games. The clear problem in this team is the lack of quality in the attacking midfield position and the lack of depth in midfield and attack. It has nothing to do with shape and tactics, similar to mourinho in this regard.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I actually thought Matic was a big contribution to us keeping a clean sheet for once. You can tell this midfield and defence needs a natural defending midfielder. Matic knew which spaces to close when we were defending so that the defenders were not exposed.

Get a natural defensive midfielder (not sure who) in January, a number 10 (Grealish?) and a natural centre forward (Haland?) and we are good to challenge for a top 4 place this season.

DSG

When is it too soon to say we have our LB for the next 12 years?

We’ve discussed time and again on the Caf about lack of movement, options, spark in the final 3rd. Williams was absolutely fantastic, particularly in the first half. He just knows when to bomb forward and when to hang back. He’s dangerous in the box, technically sound, a good passer. Wow. That Burnley team is full of seasoned professionals, and the back line was done by a 19 year old.

One of our issues in the final third is we don’t have great attacking fullbacks in Shaw and AWB. If Williams can perform like that, the LB is sorted. No need to bring in a backup for Shaw. Shaw is HIS backup.

Moves past Shaw for me. He’s one of the first names on the team sheet. I think I’m more excited by Williams than Greenwood ffs.

Against a more dynamic midfield (pace and passing), Matic wouldn’t have held up.

Fred’s confidence is building. Just needs to start popping up with some goals now and then.

I love the fact that both Martial and Rashford scored, but each of them could’ve easily had braces. The difference between challenging for the league and being on the edge of the top 4 is clinical strikers (Aguero, Salah, Kane...). They aren’t there... yet.

Martial’s movement in the box is improving! Moving out to the wings for quick 1-2s, his runs to near post!

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I thought it was a little sloppy and that feckup with Martial/Lingard is still annoying me. But I’m still happy we won as Burnley are no pushovers. We really need to work on our passing sharpness and move the ball quicker. A bit more off the ball movement too would be nice. I’m feeling confident against Arsenal and let’s smash those cnuts.

Judas

Open to offers
I actually thought Matic was a big contribution to us keeping a clean sheet for once. You can tell this midfield and defence needs a natural defending midfielder. Matic knew which spaces to close when we were defending so that the defenders were not exposed.

Get a natural defensive midfielder (not sure who) in January, a number 10 (Grealish?) and a natural centre forward (Haland?) and we are good to challenge for a top 4 place this season.
Credit where credit is due, thought he came in and did a brilliant job.

Strelok

Solid and controlled performance. Mike Dean was shocking, as usual.

However surprised me the most was Pereira, he started to look pretty decent in the last two matches, one assist each. Really hope he can build from that.

Indeed mate,the amount of beating Daniel gets is fecking ridiculous! Means opponement players fear him i guess.
It's because James is just too fast for most PL defenders I think. They have no other choice.

predator

Youth NITK
I agree completely.
I think there is so much desire in the team now which was lacking so much previously.

I'm not yet convinced with Ole as a manager or some of our players but I definitely sense a harmony within the squad and I've never seen Martial smile so much.

The other side of me says we are United and we have to be competing for the league again and that is what comes first.

lysglimt

Scout
I am in the Ole out corner, but seeing us actually beat these teams now makes me hopeful he has unlocked something. We beat Burnley with a sub par team for creating chances and that is exactly what top teams needs to do. Gonna give Ole an 8 this match.

The key to the victory though was an excellent game from Fred, and Matic even looked somewhat competent.

Bring on Arsenal!
Let's now hope Arsenal and Chelsea will be a really tough, tiring game :)

lysglimt

Scout
It's because James is just too fast for most PL defenders I think. They have no other choice.
When he is as fast as that, most of the time defenders think they can reach the ball - and take him instead

dal

Matic brilliant. Calm assured a quick release and always chose the right pass.

Ole is obviously giving these boys confidence. Especially pereira, he seems to be growing from playing more, after he assisted yesterday his decision making improved. The passes he played seemed to all come off. He’s been to eager to make an impression however in the last few games his game seems to have found. A level of maturity.

I wasn't confident Rashford martial even pereira could do what they have been doing in the last few games.

Confidence and trust are major factors and Ole and his coaches must be the reason for this.

on paper we shouldn’t finish in the top 4 at all if we do I feel Ole would have over achieved

Strelok

When he is as fast as that, most of the time defenders think they can reach the ball - and take him instead
Yeah but I've noticed numerous times the defenders just deliberately go for his legs when they know they were too late.

The refs must protect him more otherwise sooner or later he'd get injured I think. Each time he was sent flying I'm really worried for his legs tbh.

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 380 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Burnley 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Burnley 0:2 Man Utd