PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:2 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 January 2020

Gordon S

I know we will not be for long but still, how the feck are we still sitting in fifth?

Jacko21

Jake Humphrey is like a pig in muck when discussing United’s woes. You’re not the pundit, ask the question and shut up.

Run_time_error

Defending anything lobbed into the box is disastrous. We have no idea. And we already knew that we struggle to break down deep defences. No Pogba, no Rashford, no chance. We need a midfield that can either play defence splitting passes or go past people. Ours does neither. When was the last time James took anyone on? Or Pereira or Lingard or Mata or Fred or Matic. The only one trying to do it at the moment is AWB.

Coaching staff have fully sucked the ability out of James and Maguire. Couldn’t coach a Megabus let alone professional footballers. Players who first joined, looked vibrant and full of confidence, now look a shadow of themselves.

The whole club is toxic. We need a wipeout from top to bottom. And this is not just on Ole, but these players aren’t coached properly.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The problems at the club are manifold, there's no point going over and over them in a post match thread, except to say that had a real look and feel of a club in utter disarray.

It should be said we had two good chances to take the lead in the first half, and it could have been a much different game had we done so. We have to put that aside though, individual mistakes meant we didn't score, in fact we went a goal behind and it was down to us to wrest the initiative back in ten first half minutes and the entire second half. What we turned in was horrible, gutless, rudderless rubbish. It's the kind of performance that lays bare how disjointed this squad is, how lacking in confidence and quality many of the players are, how consummately out of their depth the coaching team are in trying to turn this mess around, how the powers that be at this club are asleep at the wheel in terms of footballing matters to the extent that this kind of display, that chills anyone who cares one iota about this football club to the bone, will not raise so much as an eyebrow at Glazer HQ.

Zero positives, zero progress, zero hope from that load of shite.

Decade long lurker

Ole's at the wheel, tell me how good does it feel???
I feel Like a turd that won’t flush. I just wanna flush
Can we just delete the club and hit reset? Pathetic from top to bottom. Martial and Mata missing chances. Maguire letting another header go by. Those incredible subs by Ole. The lack of fight shown by our players. I'm honestly considering taking a break from football if we don't sack this clown. Both Woodward and Ole need to go.
intrigued by your opening sentence. I wonder what life would be like. It’s painful to watch the demise. I wish I didn’t care so much. But I do.

Aretak

Ole is a dead man walking at this point, but the problems aren't going to go away with him. It really is almost unbelievable the money that's been spent compared to the players that were out there tonight. It's embarrassing, frankly. Yet Woodward will stay in his job, because the noodle sponsorships are still rolling in. No director of football will be appointed, or worse, it'll be someone like Darren Fletcher - another yes man who you could actually hear squirming in his seat on Radio 5 tonight when asked to say anything negative about the upper management. Things will carry on as they have been.

LiamB

No urgency, no movement, no creativity. Absolute shambles of a team at the minute, game plan against one of the better ariel sides in the league, cross it in to martial mata and Dan James and they might just beat one of their CBs in the air. We have no plan B we barely have a plan A. Just appalling.

Heinzesight

We need to seriously improve the way we shift it wide and then back again. There’s no dragging players out of position. We seem to dally on the ball for a bit when it gets to the wings with three of four touches. At which point the opposition defence have set up nicely again. It’s ponderous wank.

Deery

Dreary
I don’t understand how former players from other clubs can see Ole should go but former United players say “give him more time”.

Last edited:

Heinzesight

The Rodriguez goal was fantastic. Reminded me of an Andy Cole goal at St James’ when he was playing for Newcastle.

SaintMuppet

I have a serious illness and face an uncertain future! The only positive is that football has dropped to the bottom of things I care about as you might expect. This season I am bloody glad I don’t care asI once did or I would be crying......

Obiorahking_

Our play wasn't terrible just really lacked quality. feck the board and the pigmented.

GledTheRed

Our players are not as bad as you are making out.
We lost to Burnley. Are you suggesting that the Burnley players are all better than ours?
Swap Dyche and Solkjaer and I think Dyche could have us beating Burnley within a month or so.
I said currently, all our best players are injured.

FlapR

I've been to the last few home games. Glad this wasn't one of them.

The Purley King

Anyone giving any analysis of the game for someone who was in work ? Just 100s of historical vents
First 10 mins we looked quite good. Sharp passing couple of half chances.
Then we descended into the standard slow ponderous play.
Little to no movement from anyone, passing from side to side without any real purpose. Martial missed a couple of presentable chances.
Awb did ok going forward, got past his man a few times and put a decent cross in but martial thought it would be better to be outsid the box on those occasions.
Burnley score a typical Burnley goal from a set piece and then a worldie from Rodriguez.
We never looked like scoring after that.
Most depressing game for a while. Zero positives.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Just need to look who we brought on to chase a match. It's like bringing a spoon to a knife fight.

RedNed77

a club of our stature and riches should in no way be referring to McTominay as one of our key players. Nothing against the lad and I’m in total agreement he has been one of our best players this season but FML...we’ve had midfielders such as Robson, Ince, Keane, Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves even before he turned into a lame duck. It’s sad, embarrassing, frustrating to see Matic, McT and Pereira all getting serious game time in the middle of the park.

Man for man, compare this to our previous great sides. 92/93 98/99 07/08 and to a man we are absolute tripe in comparison.

It’s bizarre because I was in agreement that the likes of Fellaini and Lukaku were right to be moved on because they just weren’t good enough (what I expect of a Utd player) but the truth is, they’d walk right back in to this team.

How is Jones still here
How is Lingard getting minutes
Why hasn’t DeGea been dropped yet
Wtf were ‘they’ thinking allowing Smalling go to Roma

And the big one for me...why continue playing 4231 when we don’t have a decent 10 and the double pivot is not working. It’s beyond reckless.

Insanity: keep doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. Einstein
Not entirely aimed against you and a bit of a straw man here, but you’re comparing apples with oranges though. You’re not comparing McTominay against his 22 year old counterpart in Keane/Robbo/Ince. You’re comparing him against a curated memory you have of those players from their absolute pomp during their best games in their prime years.

There are people on here saying “oooh, we need to sign Soumare” when they’ve actually never seen him play other than some f*cking 5 minute YouTube video where he’s tackling some guy not fit to lace Jesse Lingard’s boots from a b-team in France. It’s similar for Bruno fecking Fernandes. There’s nothing wrong with McTominay, he’s as good as Henderson was at his age. Competency and the right attitude are more important in a certain percentage of your squad.

Re some of your other points about the likes of Park walking back into the squad, I wouldn’t disagree with you. Theres a reason why they got into Fergies teams and they’d get into the current one on the same basis, and for the same reasons why McTominay is and should be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

montpelier

I still blame Woodward and the selectors of who we buy more than OGS. We are short of quality and numbers in MF, we need a CF.

It was never going to be a half season job. I don't know what else we were expecting. 5th isn't so bad with this squad and the injury list. I don't
mean that in any positive way.

Perhaps only DDG, AWB, Maguire? Fred, would be in tonight's XI during a good year, and DDG isn't in great form?

Some people think 4th is where we should be. I don't think you can realistically aim there without signings as above and 18months of time for young players to develop.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I don’t understand how former players from other clubs can see Ole should go but former United players say “give him more time”.
Would you slag one of your mates off on national TV? That’s the problem. We aren’t getting their honest options at all. It’s an old boys club and it’s total fecking bullshit.

sparx99

Not entirely aimed against you and a bit of a straw man here, but you’re comparing apples with oranges though. You’re not comparing McTominay against his 22 year old counterpart in Keane/Robbo/Ince. You’re comparing him against a curated memory you have of those players from their absolute pomp during their best games in their prime years.

There are people on here saying “oooh, we need to sign Soumare” when they’ve actually never seen him play other than some f*cking 5 minute YouTube video where he’s tackling some guy not fit to lace Jesse Lingard’s boots from a b-team in France. It’s similar for Bruno fecking Fernandes. There’s nothing wrong with McTominay, he’s as good as Henderson was at his age. Competency and the right attitude are more important in a certain percentage of your squad.

Re some of your other points about the likes of Park walking back into the squad, I wouldn’t disagree with you. Theres a reason why they got into Fergies teams and they’d get into the current one on the same basis, and for the same reasons why McTominay is and should be one of the first names on the teamsheet.
Great post!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Agree with this. We have played better in the past.
tbh, was going to comment and knew it'd turn into a rant so made some flippant, dark humour line and went to get a drink and calm down.

Absolute shite and If I was Ole in post match interview, I'd just say "we were awful" and own it.

FBs 'ok', Jones better than most thought,... not much else.

Tactics shit, dull, too slow, too cautious (it's Burnley at home?!), wimpy attitude from players.

Ole doesn't tell Martial to arse up 2/3 very good chances, tell Mata to mix his feet up, tell Maguire not to keep goal side.... but he shares in it.

Feel sorry for players like Williams and Greenwood. Both have come on well and far too much pressure on them. But they're still doing better than most of our so-called experienced players.

Oh. And Burnley are shite.

And we still lost.

Back to the drink

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
A few thoughts on tonight's game from the stand. I'd be interested to see if people agree or differ on these:
  1. First half was a decent performance and we should have been a couple up before Burnley scored. Martial and Mata both had air shots from decent Wan Bissaka crosses and Martial completely fecked up a 1 v 1 opportunity in the box. We all may have opted for slightly different elevens, but the starting team was well justified and played well.
  2. Ole panicked at half time and upset the balance of the team by getting Greenwood on for Pereira, who whilst being wasteful and shooting too often from outside the box, was providing an important role in linking the team. We were dreadful second half and the balance of the team was completely gone. This was exacerbated further when Shaw and Lingard were brought on for little real purpose.
  3. Why are we playing Daniel James on the left? He's right footed, his biggest assets are passing and crossing whilst on the run, and he's not scored since August. He offers no threat cutting inside and is never going to be a creative fulcrum in that position against a side defending deep. What's more is that he would perfectly compensate for Wan Bissaka's lack of attacking incisiveness by staying wide and allowing AWB to focus on the stronger parts of his game, but dropping into midfield and covering counterattacks. I was baffled to see James left and Greenwood right second half. James should have been on the right putting crosses in for Martial and Greenwood. I don't know what Ole is thinking here.
  4. Fred was incredibly poor tonight. He was utterly clueless on the edge of the Burnley box. As much as he improved in games where we have a midfield battle, he's not cut out for games against weaker sides at home. He wasn't the only wasteful one, but the analysts aren't doing their job if they are not instructing our midfielders to stop shooting from range. Time and time again we give the ball away with 1-2% shots instead of recycling it and waiting for a better option. Our club would be well served instructing all our players to no longer shoot outside of the penalty area and D, except for Greenwood. It's embarrassing how little we respect the ball and play with a patience for a good chance. We're either overplaying or just shooting: just keep it simple and move, gaps will come.
  5. As happened with James earlier on this season when he scored three goals from a little more than those shots, we're now in danger of overrating Greenwood, whose overall play is leaving a lot to be desired. He'll be a top player in time. but he really struggles to impact the game and isn't getting anywhere near the number of chances and shots needed to maintain his good goalscoring run. Second half tonight and against Wolves he was pretty anonymous. He's 18; that's expected. We need to be comfortable with him not always being on the pitch when we need a goal. He isn't the solution to every problem currently.
  6. Not buying a top centre forward will be a real mistake. Martial has a role at the club, but he's not at the level to our main centre forward. You buy a top centre forward, one who can act as the real focal point of the team, and hope that either this purchase does what is expected of them, or Martial steps up and improves, or both things happen. We cannot go forward with only Martial up top though. He's shown that he's not of a sufficient standard to spearhead a title challenge.

Decade long lurker

Jake Humphrey is like a pig in muck when discussing United’s woes. You’re not the pundit, ask the question and shut up.
Christ he annoys me. Sanctimonious twat. He’ll be rubbing one out later thinking about his grilling of Rio

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 271 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Burnley