PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:2 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 January 2020

manunited1919

Yes it is and if you don’t think that what the feck is wrong with you?
Don’t get upset with me. I saw his commng since the summer, all the signs were there. We are just 4 points higher than 14th, and 11 points from a relegation battle. So if we collapse at this stage, and go for n a losing run like we did at the end of last season, do you really think we finish 10th?

mattsville

Dominated possession for most of it but doing nothing with it, no goal threat, how many shots on goal, we need a center forward imo as a priority, somebody who can link it together, is a target and has awareness to bring others into the game around their box, that includes with Rashford there, he cannot do it either, I think that is recognised as we tried for haaland, looking at the game with the key injuries we have we are going to lose most of our remaining games without reinforcement.

The Irish Connection

DOF would make a massive difference. As Ferdinand said when was the last time we actually signed someone by looking at the team and thinking how they work with what we have?

Every manager has played a different system, style, formation. Ole has regularly changed formation this season. Signs James who prefers LW when we had no RW in the squad. Signs Maguire who lacks pace but he wants to play high press (not that I’ve ever seen us execute this properly). There is no thought process on recruitment. It’s just obvious signings.
Absolutely. It’s actually simple enough to fix it on paper but the club is owned and run by idiot leeches.
Hire a top DOF. Hire a top young coach. Sign a proper top right winger, center forward, 10 and midfielder spending anywhere up to 300 million, once very good, not average players are signed in those positions and we would be in a much better direction.

Lost bear

He appears to be finally collapsing under the weight of all the cliches he's been dishing out over the past year or so. He looks like a pathological blagger whose lies have finally caught up with him.

Yep, that’s about the size of it. I don’t wish to be unkind to Ole, who may we’ll be a very nice man, but he lacks intelligence ( in both footballing and media terms), utters endless cliches that rival those of Alan Partridge, won’t give a straight answer when asked the occasional meaningful question he’s confronted with ( such as ‘are you being backed in recruitment of players?’ ) and appears to lack effective communication with his players. Add to this a successful charisma bypass, and well, we as a club are fecked. Manifestly and quite openly fecked.

The Glazers and Ed regime may provide the context and root cause of all this, but there can surely be little doubt now that Ole is not equipped to ameliorate it. As for the Glazers, the only way to get rid of them is to hit them in the pockets. Ticket sales, shirts, everything they use to exercise their parasitic grip on our club. Noise will help too- petitions, social media, letters, demos, the full works of social action. I’m too old for direct action these days, and don’t have health. But these things work- changing the regime at Utd is a sort of political project. Get organised. But the money is the key thing. Stopping buying it until it changes.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant- but I’m getting sick of it.

Okey

The club is cursed. The football gods have decided to give us the Liverpool treatment. It will last for a good 30 years probably so may as well strap ourselves in. There may be the odd happy moment. Maybe a cup win. But for the most part we will be a laughing stock.

There is no other explanation as to how a club can be so embarrassing in literally every single aspect. In terms of quality of football, results, general PR, transfer negotiations, managing players.

Players leave the club and suddenly become good again. Look at Smalling.

The football gods have decided "sorry United fans, that's enough fun for you. We're going to make you suffer now."

Doesn't matter who we sign. Who we appoint as manager. They will be struck by the curse. They will slowly drift into ineptitude.

I'm starting to feel that sense of resignation. No point getting excited for anything to do with this club as the jinx is fully in place.
I'm actually starting to think this. Cos it's getting unreal. Like we took a vow to feck everything we do up the day Fergie left.

acrebo

Not to take anything from a shite form we are in but it needs to be mentioned that we got at least one clear goal denied (Shaw's) for no reason and that challenge on Greenwood on 67th should also have been a red card. Small things - big difference. Shit refs
Nah, if we’re saying that Dave was legitimately fouled on Sunday then we have to agree that Shaw fouled his man today.

Can’t recall the Greenwood foul but that must mean I wasn’t particularly outraged. Although I may have drifted off at the point...

The Irish Connection

me need to remember that James was bought as a squad player to learn his trade he never should have played this many games and he looks absolutely shattered and bereft of confidence he is playing week in week out because we have no other options .
I think we all would have started Greenwood but when he did come on he made very little difference, difficult for a striker to score goals if the midfield is not capable of creating chances.
This is the worst midfield I have ever seen at United ( just look at their goals and assists tally to Confirm this )
Martial is a complete fraud has a good game every 5 or 6 games the rest of the time wanders around looking disinterested no wonder he never gets near the French squad .
Just returned home after the game feeling battered and bruised . I’m sure Ole will ultimately pay the price for failure but our squad is abysmal and not replacing Lukaku , Sanchez and Herrera Was just disgraceful
Totally agree with you. Dan James should only have ever been a squad signing for a club like United, but the transfer committee is trying to trick us into thinking he would be good enough as a first team right winger.

Fitchett

I'd say a 5/10 performance for the team as a whole. Matic was decent. AWB alright going forward. Felt sorry for Jones when the crowd was booing him. He doesn't select himself.
It was the Burnley fans booing Jones, for being an ex Blackburn player, not the United fans. Same happened last year. Jones did OK tonight, just a pity that the others didn't.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Any anti-Glazer chanting tonight? I couldn't detect it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It was the Burnley fans booing Jones, for being an ex Blackburn player, not the United fans. Same happened last year. Jones did OK tonight, just a pity that the others didn't.
Ah, thanks. Glad to hear that.

ReallyUSA

After the second goal, the NBC cameras caught a glimpse of him. It was like the air was taken away from him for a moment then got himself back together. The guy tried and I believed in him, the team believed in him, but it didn't work out. I can understand not challenging for a title, but the consistent slips to lower tier teams since last year are too much.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
This is the main thing.

Until everyone unites and we call them out, what's the fecking point of moaning?

Nothing changes until the matchgoing fans make it unbearable for anyone on the current board to be at the ground.

Withnail

You could hear it on the telly.

Very loud love United hate Glazer end of the first or start of the second half I think it was.

I think there were others as well according to the match thread but I couldn't pick them out.

Fitchett

Not to take anything from a shite form we are in but it needs to be mentioned that we got at least one clear goal denied (Shaw's) for no reason and that challenge on Greenwood on 67th should also have been a red card. Small things - big difference. Shit refs
I sat behind that goal and it was a clear foul by Shaw. I was cracked up laughing that the hopelessly incompetent Jon Moss initially gave a goal, before VAR intervened and correctly ruled it out. But I agree with you that the last defender should have been off for the foul on Greenwood in the 2nd half. Real reason we lost is that we missed three glorious chances in the 1st half, while Burnley took their two chances. Both Martial and Pereira were absolutely shocking.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is the main thing.

Until everyone unites and we call them out, what's the fecking point of moaning?

Nothing changes until the matchgoing fans make it unbearable for anyone on the current board to be at the ground.
We should have been doing that consistently since they arrived on the scene. But if this happens, it will be the best thing that can possibly happen to the club.

You could hear it on the telly.

Very loud love United hate Glazer end of the first or start of the second half I think it was.

I think there were others as well according to the match thread but I couldn't pick them out.
Thanks. Couldn't quite make it out from the broadcast. Good. Need more now.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
This is the lowest I have felt supporting United. Got up and left as soon as the second goal hit the net. There's just no hope now.

Amerifan

Not many bright spots. Burnley weren’t particularly good, but quite a bit better than us.

SambaBoy

Shows how far standards have fallen when you hear things like ' we dominated possession' and ' if we had stuck our chances away first half, we would have won'.

We are playing Burnley at home, we should be winning these games 2,3,4-0. These results happen and I get that, sometimes you batter teams, come up against an amazing GK, goal-line clearances that lot and they score a goal out of nothing but that wasn't like it today and even if it was, it should only happen once a season where a team may get lucky.

It's happened too many times at home this season. As soon as we went 1-0 down, I thought the best we would get is a draw and then at 2-0 the game was over. We have no quality in the team.

Amerifan

This is the lowest I have felt supporting United. Got up and left as soon as the second goal hit the net. There's just no hope now.
That’s when I fell asleep, for the first time ever I think. Just not engaging on any level.

Tel074

I'd say a 5/10 performance for the team as a whole. Matic was decent. AWB alright going forward. Felt sorry for Jones when the crowd was booing him. He doesn't select himself.
The United fans wernt booing Jones it was the Burnely fans because he's ex Blackburn .

BIGbadBOO4

Was at the match today, I wasnt even angry as we are just plan rubbish. I dont think we have any coaching at all, in fact I take it back. Pass sideways, with no pace, do not rely on instinct and never take a chance.
Everyone laughed when they announced 73 thousand at the ground. Was about 50 thousand. The money we have wasted on useless players beggars belief. How Woodward still has a job is one of the wonders of the universe.

Some anti glazer chants at the ground.

Last edited:

Tel074

I travel from Ireland for every home game and some away games with my son i myself have been doing so for over 20/ years and tonight I've had enough . We have been fed lie and lie by this ownership it's false dawn after false dawn .

Ole probably needs to go but seriously of we bring in Poch what can he do? Our squad is pathetic our attempts to sign players is pathetic.

The fact we haven't signed anyone going into the last week of January is simply embarrassing. We have young players on that pitch running on empty because the squad is so paper thin.
Us fans have a big club mentality it's just a pity the parasite owners and Ed doesn't have the same mentality.

F.ck the Glazers F.ck Woodward

lex talionis

CATASTROPHE

No, not this one match. The entire season has been one shambolic performance after another, briefly interrupted by a few inspired performances.

What I learned tonight is that Ole looks like a manager who knows he's finished at the end of the season. He's not going to be sacked before season's end and he's not coming back next season. Why is that? Managers worthy of the job need the break they're enjoying now before they walk into one of the most difficult sporting jobs on the planet.

So, we better gets used to more of these disgusting performances through the end of the season.

Steven-UK

Was at the match today, I wasnt even angry as we are just plan rubbish. I dont think we have any coaching at all, in fact I take it back. Pass sideways, with no pace, do not rely on instinct and never take a chance.
Everyone laughed when they announced 73 thousand at the ground. Was about 50 thousand. The money we have wasted on useless players beggars belief. How Woodward still has a job is one of the wonders of the universe.

Some anti glazer chants at the ground.
My condolences. We simply decided not to bother going, and was proven right... again.

Life is far too short to waste on such rubbish.

moodyred

What has happened to my beloved club? Horrible game. Clueless. Mid table players.

When the club goes through so many years of change and still doesn't get it right, the top needs to be changed. It is the only constant at the moment. Woodwards out!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Nah, if we’re saying that Dave was legitimately fouled on Sunday then we have to agree that Shaw fouled his man today.
There's a HUGE difference between jumping a goal-keeper and a fair challenge between two outfield players. From what they showed on TV it looked like the defender lost balance during equal physical challenge.

Last edited:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I sat behind that goal and it was a clear foul by Shaw. I was cracked up laughing that the hopelessly incompetent Jon Moss initially gave a goal, before VAR intervened and correctly ruled it out. But I agree with you that the last defender should have been off for the foul on Greenwood in the 2nd half. Real reason we lost is that we missed three glorious chances in the 1st half, while Burnley took their two chances. Both Martial and Pereira were absolutely shocking.
OK. Can't argue with somebody who actually saw Shaw challenge live from close range. Every angle they showed on ESPN made it look like it was a fair physical challenge, so that's what I was going with.

Le Red

The club is cursed. The football gods have decided to give us the Liverpool treatment. It will last for a good 30 years probably so may as well strap ourselves in. There may be the odd happy moment. Maybe a cup win. But for the most part we will be a laughing stock.

There is no other explanation as to how a club can be so embarrassing in literally every single aspect. In terms of quality of football, results, general PR, transfer negotiations, managing players.

Players leave the club and suddenly become good again. Look at Smalling.

The football gods have decided "sorry United fans, that's enough fun for you. We're going to make you suffer now."

Doesn't matter who we sign. Who we appoint as manager. They will be struck by the curse. They will slowly drift into ineptitude.

I'm starting to feel that sense of resignation. No point getting excited for anything to do with this club as the jinx is fully in place.
This curse is called dumbass supporters that refuse to fight back.
If the football gods did anything, it was testing our fanbase if they would fight back to save the club from being raped. Well, they don't seem to care.
Match going fans who could make a series of protests refuse to do a single one. Glazers once lowered ticket prices so they are besties for life. Talk about selling your soul.
When confronted with the fact the club is being destroyed, they say: "You're too entitled. We've been relegated 50 years ago."
Supporters from other clubs would not endure half of our shit without going mental.
We are the biggest ***** I've ever seen in football. If the gods are indeed punishing us, I say it's well deserved.

ClaretMunky

Supports
Burnley
Burnley fan here. Not here to brag.

The first half chances for Martial and Mata were big moments. You grab one and we are chasing. We have zero pace in our side and we would be in trouble. Overall, thought we deserved it. Against bigger teams, we have played abysmally for 18 months. Properly stopped battling. We always sit in a low block but the press has been non-existent. The home game against you was a prime example of this. We have been done by pace so many times that we have been fearful of committing to the press at all. I was delighted by it tonight. The second comes direct from it. Shithouse? Yep sometimes. Long ball? Yep sometimes. Not tonight, we got the mixture right tonight. The victory against Leicester was scabby, they are superior to you currently. They ripped us to pieces repeatedly.

I've seen a few of your games, plus one live. There is so much wrong. You need a full rebuild. I loathe the constant firing of managers but Ole is wank. Plain and simple. Totally clueless. Dyche would have you playing better. There is no pattern of play aside from the fast counter. Use width to stretch us? No. Pace of passing was too slow. Cork's legs have gone. He played well tonight. That is on your ineffective midfield not him. One up top for a low block? Where was Mata playing? The subs?

I read about the mentioning of signings but it is pointless giving Ole better players. Players like Martial and Pogba worry me. They are mercenaries. Sulky as feck. Bad attitudes. You lack leaders on the pitch and players like those two can have a disproportionate effect. Wouldn't want them near Burnley. Mata and Matic look past it for the standard of club that you are (would take Mata for us). The Andreas guy is poor. Not even Championship standard. I've watched from League 2 up and seen absolute dogshit. Not convinced by Rashford either. Fergie era, he would be a sub. Name a Fergie team he makes a first 11 for. I think your perspectives are shot. Fred was no more effective than Westy.

If I'm Woodward, I would contact Potch. Ask for an opinion on his choice of DoF then sign him. Give Potch a long deal and promise substantial investment long term. The scattergun approach to transfers has created a Frankenstein and it will take time to sort but, Ole isn't deserving of the benefit of doubt.

Rolaholic

Did not expect that getting played off the pitch by a rookie managers side at the Emirates a month ago wouldn't be our lowest point of the season...

5 defeats in 30 days is so depressing

RedDevilRoshi

This result is actually not a shock anymore. Just highlights the state of this club. Rotten from top to bottom.

Devil may care

It's beyond a joke at this point, we had an entire half to turn that around at home and barely even tested their keeper.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 271 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Burnley