PL W FA Premier League

Burnley 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 January 2021

Siorac

Burnley are an ugly team, but an honest one.
Yeah, feck that. They went to ground at every single opportunity. The most hilarious part of the entire game was when Barnes grabbed the ball after going down for the umpteenth time - and the referee awarded a free-kick for handball. Should have been a yellow, too, absolutely deliberate handball.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Been saying for a while we need more gammy 1-0 wins and this is a perfect text book example.

Hester_manc

Pogba saying, that the Maguire goal was a beautiful goal, and the ref made a strange decision. Hope he can`t get banned for that.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Pogba and Bailly excellent, Martial and Rashford were poor.

The disallowed goal was fecking bizarre, as was the furore over Shaw's tackle. He won the ball with a minimum of force ffs.

Big win.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I have the same feeling and admire a small club like that staying in the EPL, but boy is it grim to watch. As Pogba was just saying, it's like war, but I guess no harm in having a mix of footballing styles in the league. A bit like Stoke in the old days.
Aye... I wouldn't want to watch it or play against it every week... But as a one off game its a good battle for us. Can't say i was bored at any point tonight!

simmee

My favorite performance in a while. Everyone giving 110% and fighting for each other until the very last second against Shithouse FC. Building a very good teamspirit and winning mentality lately.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yeah, feck that. They went to ground at every single opportunity. The most hilarious part of the entire game was when Barnes grabbed the ball after going down for the umpteenth time - and the referee awarded a free-kick for handball. Should have been a yellow, too, absolutely deliberate handball.
I think they do what they need to do to compete. I actually admire them.

youngrell

Was a pleasing performance from the players. Showed grit and fight in the first half (something we’ve sorely lacked in recent times) and then came out second half settled and ready to play football.

Took the game out of both Burnley and the ref’s hands second half. Good, professional away performance.

Riz

We’re doing really well to grind these wins out now especially with a lot of the front players struggling for form.

Pogba was immense tonight, we’re usually used to Bruno bailing us out but tonight Paul was by far the stand out player and deserved the luck with the goal to win it.

Great job.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Today has been a great day.. Secured PS5 pre order and United top of the league!!

Number32

Fully deserve win despite Burnley got fully support by the reff, and the ABU media is more concern about Shaw's missed red card :lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
TOP OF THE LEAGUE AND THAT'S A FACT!!!!!!!!!

I'm a little nervous about how we are going to play at Anfield. Think Maguire needs to be more reliable, he can be average on his day and when he isn't on his day he's straight crap. Kevin Friend made some dodgy calls that game and was really whistle happy in the beginning. With all that being said I do want to see McFred vs. Liverpool on Sunday.

21 is coming. UP THE REDS.
Maguire can also be absolutely class as he has been the last month.

Siorac

I think they do what they need to do to compete.
That doesn't necessarily mean it's 'honest', does it? My only hope of competing with Jeff Bezos would be to murder him, probably, but that wouldn't be particularly honest. Though maybe it's a bad example, because we should definitely eat him.

Anyway, if Brighton can play reasonable football and stay in the league, so could Burnley.

arthurka

Shit game, shit ref and many really shit performances. That said great result. Ole stuffing all these doubters. Now please go and beat these feckers on Sunday.

Lentwood

Genuine 10/10 performance from Pogba tonight. Its a big IF but IF Pogba can keep up his form since Raiola’s last comments we have as good a chance as any team

BestRed

They'll certainly be nervous about losing at the weekend now. They're not in great form.
Yeah 100% we should go there confident, play it right we can definitely get a couple of dodgy peno's from that defense of theirs. :drool:

RORY65

Not a great performance again and I'm not sure we can challenge for the title unless we start being more fluent but the positive is we now have a lot of really good players and a spirit, togetherness and unity (for which Ole deserves a lot of credit) that we haven't had in recent years.

Winning away to Burnley is always a really good result because they're an awkward, annoying team and having a team that can dig out results is always a good sign plus it was one of the more assured games we've had defensively this season.

BestRed

It does indeed especially since my family supports Liverpool. Can't wait to rub it in their face on Sunday if we beat them!
Oh give them loads, we've had plenty of abuse the last few years.:keano:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
That doesn't necessarily mean it's 'honest', does it? My only hope of competing with Jeff Bezos would be to murder him, probably, but that wouldn't be particularly honest. Though maybe it's a bad example, because we should definitely eat him.

Anyway, if Brighton can play reasonable football and stay in the league, so could Burnley.
Are you really taking this much issue with my use of the word honest? This is a championship level team that have stayed in the PL for a good few seasons now by playing to their strengths. I respect that. They don't roll around on the pitch when they get fouled. They roll up their sleeves and compete physically because they have to

Number TwentyFive

If you look past the opening minutes and some hassle in the end of the game, this was a solid win against opponent that is really difficult to play against.

Loved the way the high press stressed Burnley to be inaccurate with their long balls forward. Especially between the start of the second half and until around the 85th minute. After that I think we became too deep again and then Burnley started to be a threat again. In my view United should have kept the high pressure until the end, but I guess fatigue and a desperate opponent made it difficult.

The decision to start Matic and Pogba was really good as they are strong enough to control the ball in the congested central areas under tough physical pressure. Pogba was amazing at this as he often managed to keep the forward movement while the opponents were clanging into him. He even kept the forward movements most of the times to. To be able to do this is so important against a physical side like Burnley.

Bailly and Maguire was great too. Wonder how Kevin Friend managed to disallow that goal.

On the other side, Rashford looks tired and in need of a rest, he wasn't awful, but not as sharp as he could be. Martial unfortunately had another day of.
In the end I really like that the 1-0 win was grinded out. To be relevant at the top you need to do that.

Siorac

Are you really taking this much issue with my use of the word honest? This is a championship level team that have stayed in the PL for a good few seasons now by playing to their strengths. I respect that. They don't roll around on the pitch when they get fouled. They roll up their sleeves and compete physically because they have to
No I just really like arguing, especially when it's thoroughly inconsequential stuff.

I also dislike teams that play shit football and bring everyone down to their level. Don't get me wrong, they have every right to do so, they're entitled to do whatever they want but I'm also entitled to hate it. Also, feck Wolves. feck them even more because they have the money and the players to actually produce something resembling actual football.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
No I just really like arguing, especially when it's thoroughly inconsequential stuff.

I also dislike teams that play shit football and bring everyone down to their level. Don't get me wrong, they have every right to do so, they're entitled to do whatever they want but I'm also entitled to hate it. Also, feck Wolves. feck them even more because they have the money and the players to actually produce something resembling actual football.
Haha. Fair enough.

I agree feck Wolves.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Shit game, shit ref and many really shit performances. That said great result. Ole stuffing all these doubters. Now please go and beat these feckers on Sunday.
Many excellent performances - Maguire, Shaw, Matic, Bruno, Pogba. Bailly was immense.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Class 2nd half from United. I’m particularly pleased with how Fernandes played. He had a lot more composure and concentration in what he was doing. Rashford on the other hand was a little all over the place again.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Waste of time playing him on the right, and I'd wonder how much he enjoys it.

That said, great pick out for the assist.
His body language wasn't great tonight. Playing him there robs him of most of his tools.

Not for much longer though, because I'm still absolutely convinced for no reason that Diallo is going to light up the team

Fitchett

Excellent win against a real shithouse team, and with a ref giving Burnley nearly every decision going. Pogba, Maguire and Bailly were excellent. First half was ridiculous, thanks to the ref and VAR, second half we dominated, just had to hang on late on. Roll on Sunday!

Waynne

Eric and Pogba are in red hot form and the key men.
Pogba has been immense tonight. What a turn around in form since the Raiola comments.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 89% of 378 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 360 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw