PL W FA Premier League

Burnley 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 January 2021

ManUArfa

Proud of the lads. They looked fecked at the end. I still think Ole is terrible at timing/using his subs in general.
Didn't need subs until Burnley starting getting forward towards the end. They were good subbing decisions with the right players going on and off at the right times IMO to sure up the game and waste time right at the death...

Cantonagotmehere

Sums the game up nicely for me.

Now...

I hate Burnley. They're thugs. But now they're diving, too. At one point, they have a player rolling around holding his head... after a shot between the shoulders. He got up pretty quick when the ref didn't buy it.

That said... Kevin Friend is no Friend of ours. Aside from letting so much of Burnley's sh!thousersy slide, I'm not even sold that Shaw warranted a foul, much less a yellow, much less a review for red, when he clearly got a good shot on the ball. And the Maguire goal? But I've already mentioned the diving... ah, well.

All that aside, Burnley's record this year is solely down to their inability to score goals. They never seriously threatened us today. They defended quite well. Sure, we made stupid passes, missed sitters, but credit where it's due.

As has been stated above, Bruno Pogba saving Ole's job.

Seriously, though, Ole set us up for success, Rashford and Martial lack confidence and Cavani was maybe a wee bit rusty. And the mentality of this team to come out stronger in the second half is so very nice.

Looking forward to a vulnerable Liverpool.
Great post, mate.

I cannot stand that team and their smug punk manager.

So glad we won.

Cantonagotmehere

:lol: from Reddit

"Started a new job in June 2013. Sat in front of a girl I fell in love with straight away. We became friends during Moyes and LVG season 1. Started seeing each other start of LVG season 2. Moved in together towards end of Jose season 1. Got engaged after Ole season 1.5. At the minute we are in middle of buying our first house and are expecting our first child together.

United have never been top of league the entire time I've known her. At full time I don't know why, but I started jumping around singing glory glory as I stripped butt naked and jumped onto couch while pelvically thrusting my bollocks back and forth with my fiancée staring at me as though I had gone insane.

I know it's not even half way point of season, and I'm not even contemplating winning it in May, but I am just so happy to finally be competing again. All of the events in my life that have happened since we last went in top really makes it sink in for me how long it's been. Attack Attack Attack"
Fantastic

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Good sign that Pogba's taken over just as Fernandes has taken his foot off the pedal.

MrBest

Awful match, didn't agree with Ole's tactics but we are top after 17 games for the first time in 8 years. We are 11 points better off than last season, have had games galore and only 2 pre season games. My hat is off for Ole (not eaten yet ...), he has really turned a corner with 9 wins from 11. Pogba was incredible today, even when playing pretty deep. Rashford needs to sort himself out and learn to keep things simple, Martial was average, Cavani worked hard but lacked service, Maguire was as awful as always and Bailey, the second best player on the pitch. He has to start against Liverpool otherwise Salah, Mane and Firminho will cut open our defence with Harry and Victor jogging around like numpties.

Yorke to Cole

The first 20 minutes of the second half exemplified control and patience. At the centre of the sense of contours was Eric Bailly. His positioning, concentration and the way he carried and distributed the ball at times gave us that aura of patience but still being persistent.

He with Maguire gave us a bast to work from. Our attacking play should have been more decisive and (like against Sheffield united and Aston Villa) lead to another last 10 minutes where we lost control of the game.

That is something that is going to have to be improved going forward, but the maturity of the team performance is another positive step.

Reactions: Sultan

Elpidios

Awful match, didn't agree with Ole's tactics but we are top after 17 games for the first time in 8 years. We are 11 points better off than last season, have had games galore and only 2 pre season games. My hat is off for Ole (not eaten yet ...), he has really turned a corner with 9 wins from 11. Pogba was incredible today, even when playing pretty deep. Rashford needs to sort himself out and learn to keep things simple, Martial was average, Cavani worked hard but lacked service, Maguire was as awful as always and Bailey, the second best player on the pitch. He has to start against Liverpool otherwise Salah, Mane and Firminho will cut open our defence with Harry and Victor jogging around like numpties.
I personally thought Maguire was alright for this match? Kept things tidy, nice and composed in the build-ups, won his aerial defensive duels and had a goal harshly ruled out. Seems like a lot of people agree too, based on the average ratings anyway.

dave1956

All ways been the same remember Bob Lord ( Chairman of Burnley ) calling the team a bunch of Teddy boys after being done over. I do not think he liked Alex Dawson's hair style

U.N.C.L.E

Klopp is really winning the mind game with the refs these days the same way Fergie used to with Fergie-time. The absolute “bet-your-house-on-it” of VAR lately going AGAINST us seems to indicate that a lot of the refs aren’t charging Jurgen rent for living inside their heads....the Shaw foul probably the grossest miscarriage so far.

Alemar

What I also didn’t like about Burnley were the post match interviews. Probably Ok for natives, but for foreigners to listen to Tarkowski and their manager who both mumbled something at huge speed was almost as bad as to watch Burnley playing. OGS, on the contrary, speaks so that is very easy to understand him

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Is this the first time United have been on top of the league since May 2013?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol: from Reddit

"Started a new job in June 2013. Sat in front of a girl I fell in love with straight away. We became friends during Moyes and LVG season 1. Started seeing each other start of LVG season 2. Moved in together towards end of Jose season 1. Got engaged after Ole season 1.5. At the minute we are in middle of buying our first house and are expecting our first child together.

United have never been top of league the entire time I've known her. At full time I don't know why, but I started jumping around singing glory glory as I stripped butt naked and jumped onto couch while pelvically thrusting my bollocks back and forth with my fiancée staring at me as though I had gone insane.

I know it's not even half way point of season, and I'm not even contemplating winning it in May, but I am just so happy to finally be competing again. All of the events in my life that have happened since we last went in top really makes it sink in for me how long it's been. Attack Attack Attack"
Internet is full of shit stories. But this one is different. There's just too much raw emotion in there to be faked.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can't quite believe we are 3 points clear of Livepool. A fact that would have disappointed us a decade ago now feels pretty astonishing.

But I'm keeping my expectations in check. Many teams fall away after good first halves of seasons. And I'd happily take a point from the trip to Anfield. Need city to start stumbling a bit too, as they're looking like they're hitting their stride again.

Gazza

It’s wonderful seeing the club at the top of the league. Well done to Ole and the players. With our squad we should be well set up to now challenge for this title, it really is anybody’s game at this point.

ManUArfa

Honestly not seeing it.

I've never seen someone sent off for this kind of challenge?

When they've jumped into the tackle maybe or if they've gone in high and rolled over the top of the ball, but he literally plays the ball then just catches the player with the follow through. It's a foul but there's nothing especially dangerous or wreckless about it, and the fact it's even a foul is more bad luck than anything else.
Looks to me like he's pulling his foot sidewards and back after getting some of the ball in order to minimise the risk of injury to both of them.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Could have easily been red.
Just don’t see how. Shaw clearly played the ball first, it wouldn’t have ricocheted off of the Burnley player any other way. It was unfortunate that the follow through occurred, but, damn, shit like that happens.

I’m certain I would say the same thing if the team roles were reversed here.

What’s your reasoning for a possible red here?

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Just don’t see how. Shaw clearly played the ball first, it wouldn’t have ricocheted off of the Burnley player any other way. It was unfortunate that the follow through occurred, but, damn, shit like that happens.

I’m certain I would say the same thing if the team roles were reversed here.

What’s your reasoning for a possible red here?
It was funny. The possible check for red was for the foul on Cavani actually. If not because of that, they wont even check Shaw's possible foul.

It is obvious that the refs have never played football at a high level. Shaw was trying to pass the ball sideway to start a counter attack quickly.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It was funny. The possible check for red was for the foul on Cavani actually. If not because of that, they wont even check Shaw's possible foul.

It is obvious that the refs have never played football at a high level. Shaw was trying to pass the ball sideway to start a counter attack quickly.
It really showed the flaws in the current VAR setup.

I’m a fan of it overall, but, like you said, if those that wield the power in its implementation don’t understand football, it becomes yet another point of divisiveness in the current game.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
It was a very good performance considering the hectic schedule and the rotation we had to make. Nov to Feb period is usually a really slugfest and any 1-0 wins with less injuries are usually welcomed. Add that to the pandemic related issues too. Burnley tried very hard to close spaces and make us work extra hard knowing how tired we can be.

This would have been our mid-week off. Now the dippers will be fresher. Sunday's game will be a real test of the fitness of the team. I will take a draw to be honest. And no more injuries.

Get In Scholesy

It was a professional performance from us. The way that things were going, if this were last season or the one before we may have lost or conceded a late goal. Which is why I am not too fussed about how have been performing based on how Manchester United "ought to be playing" (we all have an idea of what that is like), I'm more concerned with how we manage games in the context of recent years. There is clearly a team that is in construction that is yet to find it's identity, but it has been doing well and there is clear progress.

Let's keep this thing going.

Did I mention we are top of the league? Can't be too fussed about that.

Pogba MOTM.

cyril C

A few questions for myself

1. Has Bailey turned the corner? May have to wait until May to answer

2. Will VDB survive in such a physical game? Which is typical among bottom clubs, so better watch and learn.

RedDevil@84

This incident has taught me that some people on here are liberal with the use of "clearly" and maybe I have poor eyesight. Shaw was lucky to get only a yellow.
Maybe you can explain in detail, why you think it is "clearly" a red.

Yakuza_devils

VAR should have an option for manager to challenge referee call. Even though referee blow for a foul on Maguire's goal, the manager should be still able to call for VAR review.

I don't even know why VAR didn't review Maguire's goal in the first place. I thought its automatic VAR will review every goal/penalty incidents.

Superpanda

Good win. It shows we have matured and improved against deep sitting defences. Pog was massive, I always get my hopes up when he has a game like this, but his form usually never lasts... I pray he becomes less inconsistent from this point out, but who knows.

Bailly dives in and tries to block everything, he should definitely be starting along side Maguire. Our defence truly need his speed and physicality. Pray he keeps his head calm, and stay fit.

Referee was horrendous, how one can disallow the Maguire goal, and with so much confidence as well. Truly astonishing.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
This incident has taught me that some people on here are liberal with the use of "clearly" and maybe I have poor eyesight. Shaw was lucky to get only a yellow.
I think it looked questionable from the angle in the clip but it looked worse from the reverse angle as it appeared Shaw changed the direction of his leg a little after he connected with the ball.

He was lucky, I thought he was going off.

fps

Good sign that Pogba's taken over just as Fernandes has taken his foot off the pedal.
Pogba very good. But that’s also the thing about having dangerous players in all positions - Bruno didn’t play brilliantly but he had to be marked closely at all times because one slip and he could win it. That threat creates space for others, where last year for large parts no-one needed to mark our tens. Good to see a positive midfield shape where Pogba could get forward too.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Getting bored with Gary ' I think he's in trouble here' Neville on every VAR decision.

Needs another cliche

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The slow mo angle makes it look way worse, I think the best angle was the one from behind the Burnley player at full speed, you can see that it’s a 50/50 that both players go full blooded into, shaw gets there first and kicks the ball into him.

simplyared

I'd say that's about the best team we can put on paper right now. Good performance all round. Maybe not thee best performance in a utd shirt for Pogba, but let me say this: I can't see us winning that game without him.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 89% of 378 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 360 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw