PL W FA Premier League

Burnley 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 January 2021

Maticmaker

We did what had to be done and without much panicking. Maguire and Bailly represent different kinds of CB play but the partnership somehow looks more solid, especially against bustling hard running forward play such as Burnley provided.

For the second game running Bruno was not the 'be all and end all' of our attacking play, still looks a little tired to me, but he draws attention away from other players and that helps.

Pogba had a good 90 mins, not something you often see, he tends to drift in and out, but yesterday he was a solid presence in United's playmaking throughout, hope its a sign of things to come. Paul got a lot of rough treatment from a range of Burnley players, but he didn't complain (much!), didn't 'take his ball home' got up off the floor time and again and returned to the fight. Maybe not Paul's best ever performance in terms of his display of skills, but it was a performance filled with 'heart'; he looked like he belonged and that he wanted to belong and long may it continue.

Matic added that 'old head' component in mid field, but disappointing displays I thought from both Martial and Rashford, with only short bursts of what they can do on show. The Rashford ball to Pogba for the goal was however 'clinical' in its delivery.

Now onward to storm the 'Anfield Citadel' on Sunday.... "stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, cry God for Harry, United and St. Paul, St. Bruno, and St. Marcus MBE".

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Really enjoyed that second half apart from a couple of scares near the end (that Tarkowski chance). We stayed calm and beat them by playing football. Pogba and both our centre backs were immense.

devips

Directly from the FA: "Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

You could easily argue that the tackle (or subsequent result/follow through) endangered the Burnley player. It was a potential leg breaker, whether it was bad luck and unintentional or not. Now, I also think it's a yellow, but I would very much understand if he'd been sent off. In a way Shaw got lucky with not being more unlucky.
What about that nasty tackle on Shaw himself a few years back in a CL match? Wasn't it something similar but much more nastier? What punishment did the other guy get?

What about that nasty tackle on Shaw himself a few years back in a CL match? Wasn't it something similar but much more nastier? What punishment did the other guy get?
Wasn't even called a foul :houllier: I remember ABUs relishing in Shaw breaking his leg and crowing how it was a perfect challenge because he touched the ball first. We hear a lot about challenges that are 'potential legbreakers' that rarely even result in injuries, and Shaw had his actual leg snapped and noone cared. Still pisses me off to this day

Red Royal

Really enjoyed that second half apart from a couple of scares near the end (that Tarkowski chance). We stayed calm and beat them by playing football. Pogba and both our centre backs were immense.
I enjoyed it too but we did seem to sit back a bit too much after scoring rather than trying to kill the game off. Obviously they started to come out but I think we panicked, which on another day could lead to dropped points.

Skåre Willoch

If we’re talking about the actual leg breaker, that is an obvious red in my opinion. Went in hard, and the follow through with his “second” leg made it a horrible challenge.

Eric's-collar

If we beat Pool on Sunday not only will we be 6pts ahead of them, we'll end that 60 odd game run at home ;)

Sea-Cow

Best players but not best team imo. Rashford just doesn't work on the right. If we want Cavani up front, which I think we should, a tough decision needs to be made re Martial/Rashford.
Yeah that isn't a tough decision at all. One is god awful and has probably only needed to wash his kit once or twice this season, and one will at the very least work his bollocks off and track runners to help the LB etc.

gajender

Yeah that isn't a tough decision at all. One is god awful and has probably only needed to wash his kit once or twice this season, and one will at the very least work his bollocks off and track runners to help the LB etc.
I don't believe you have been watching United often this season .

Hughie77

It was a deserved win, and should have been more if Martial could hit the back of the net. Burnley are the most annoying premier league team, long ball after long ball, in the air if there were fans in there , they would have had a bad neck especially first half. We controlled those balls from distance, football ok is played in differing ways but Burnley bloody hell it's out of the park football on a sunday .

Teja

You don't think Rashford does more work than Martial as a winger in tracking runners and working for the team?
He definitely does more work for the team, but in terms of tracking back, I think he's staying higher up these days when we're defending as an intentional tactic. He makes up for that by making a shitload of runs in behind.

city-puma

Burley plays annoying football, no doubt about it. I have high respect
Burnley - what a complete sewer of a club.

Terrible ground, terrible football. They really are utterly depressing to watch - surely their fans want more than this?

There's no excuse for it either. The commentators last night praising them for what they've done and how they've survived over the last few years - do me a favour. They have received hundreds of millions of pounds from the Premier League over the last few years and they still have less of a go of it than new teams getting promoted to the league. What have they got to show for all that money? Clinging on to complete and utter obscurity season after season all the while hoping for their annual top 6 win to keep them going for the next season.

Rancid club.
Exactly true about their pitch. Watched the replay of Martial’s one-on-one chance from Cavani’s flip. Martial almost twisted his left ankle when changing his balance before shooting.

Fitchett

who was the var ref yesterday?
Stuart Attwell. Another useless official with previous against us. Had a perfect view when Huddersfield's Kongolo absolutely flattened Scott McTominey in the penalty area at Old Trafford a few years ago and didn't even stop play until a long while after. It was an obvious red card and penalty, but the cretin gave us nothing.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 89% of 378 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 360 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw