PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Thu, 30 December 2021

IhabX7

Fun first half and then no ambition in the second from most of the team. McTominay man of the match.

Irwin99

Better performance but a bit dodgy at times (defence especially). Mctominay was Motm. Shaw was pretty good. Ronnie was a bit hit and miss but as I said in the match thread his movement and awareness was class at times.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Excellent first half. We took the foot off the gas in the second though.

Would have preferred to have better control of the game overall though.

Marwood

Improvement. We moved the ball up the pitch in a much better fashion.

Still a bit scruffy though. Thought Cavani and Ronaldo were rubbish, Matic not much better.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Good result, great first half, conserved energy in the second.

Near perfect performance from McT too.

Absolutely nothing to really moan about which won't stop some on here I'm sure.

hobbers

McTominay and Shaw good.

That and 3 points all the positives to take out of today.

GazTheLegend

I think Sancho showed he'll be a proper little bobby dazzler in time.
It's irritating to me when he has space, and gives the ball to someone else, I feel like screaming at him because it's almost as if he doesn't know how good he is. He could seriously destroy some teams if he just dribbled at them.

Dike_Manc

Worst 3-1 win ever. Not convinced, Burnley are shite. Onwards and upwards I guess.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A lot better in terms of aggression and fight for 2nd balls. Still not close to Rangnick ball. Sancho with a Mkhitaryan impression what with 5 minutes of class for every 10 minutes of poor decision making. McTominay and Greenwood pretty decent, Shaw good, Maguire impacting the team with his limitations.

Good news is the transfer window opens soon so Rangnick can bring in a couple of players who'd run through a brick wall for him, and maybe have the physicality required too.

Real Name

Lads it stoke city Burnley. It was a good win, but not the performance expected as we have significant better players than burnley. It appeared that burnley had more control of the game than we did. Regardless, hopefully this give the lads more confidence into the next game. The changes Ralf made was needed, but we will have to see how we will incorporate rashy and Bruno in our team again.
It didnt appear that. They've been dangerous a bit in a first half but as the game went on we controlled it more and more. Performance is better than vs Newcastle which is a start.

Kaos

Strange game, generally as tepid as expected but meh 3 points.

I really find this squad pretty unlikable. Can't wait until we bin some of them off over the next transfer windows (hopefully). Maguire is an absolute trainwreck, still angry we paid £80million for him and made him captain.

paulscholes18

Improved performance, Playing next to Matic helps get the best out of McTominay as he is able to drive forward.

talking robot

Was really impressed with Greenwood's all around contribution. The McTominay / Matic combination (which worked well) really drives home the need for a proper holding midfielder. With a younger version of Matic, we could really get the best out of McTominay. Maguire looks like he needs to be dropped. VDB looks like he's gonna leave. If he's not getting game time in a match like this, his future has to lie elsewhere.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Better from our players in the first half but Burnley were poor and we sleepwalked through the second.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Odd game. I thought we were shite but we scored 3 and we should have scored 3 more. Not convinced playing 2 up top is in any way sustainable - but at least Shaw showed he’s better than Telles, Mctominay continued his fine form and Sancho/Greenwood looked good.

Rustyspider13

Comfortable win without putting much effort in the second half. McT best player on the pitch. Shaw, Sancho and Greenwood made serious cases to be first choice. CBs still an issue. The best thing was that we showed energy today that was sorely missing against Newcastle.

always_hoping

Back to back 3-1 home wins against Burnley a big improvement from the 4 previous games v Burnley in Old Trafford.

mattunited1978

doommonger
3 points but my god...we'v got some shite in this team, maguire and wan bissaka have got to be the worst summer buissness ever, both utter shite. Maguire is comedy level bad, absolute clown

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Very happy with the result, but I cannot see any positives in how we played. It was a complete chaos. Other than McT apparently being the next Ballon d'Or winner :D this game was lost by Burnley, not necessarily won by us. Any decent team would have thrashed us, if we played like this.

lex talionis

Job done. We’re still miles away from putting in the kind of performance that would make a top six club worry about playing us.

Alemar

Maguire played very badly, he must be benched.
Very solid display from Shaw and Sancho, Ronaldo unlucky with finishing (but still G+A), McTominay undoubtedly a MotM

CloneMC16

Better first half. Second half wasn't great, but we got the win. Should have scored more, but we also could have conceded more as well. Still allowing too many shots on goals. McT MoTM. Very good, especially in the first half. I was also impressed with Mase and Shaw.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
That second half was reminiscent of the vangle days, I struggled to get through it.
Yeah I actually fell asleep at one point.

Basically when we have a functioning defensive midfield we often win. So McT's performance was key. Perhaps he's worried about incoming competition?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I almost feel comfortable that we haven’t stormed out the blocks smashing teams like we did when Ole took over. Performances haven’t been great but the points accumulation has put us in a decent position when it comes to top 4. It may take a little time but hopefully we can click soon, every now and then we look like a decent side.

Pughnichi

glad Rashford didn’t get on to stink the place out. Sancho and Greenwood showed enough to be starting on current form

kidbob

Pretty shit performance again but a comfortable 3 points which is nice.

Defense - an absolute tragedy of centre halves, hopefully give Varane and Lindelof a chance as a partnership. Shaw very good, AWB better going forward and his usual 1 v 1 self but really needs to be taught how to position himself.

Midfield - no real control on the game at all but McTominay had a great individual performance. I'd rather a great duo performance and control personally.

Attack - meh all around and still very much individual brilliance with touches of cohesion we seen under Ole. Our fullbacks need to be taught how to provide the right type of support, could open up games for us more.

Pressing - diabolical. Burnley showed better aptitude at forcing turnovers than we did. Hopefully just a case of Ralf having to teach that from scratch to the squad.

Huge room for improvement and my assessment may seem harsh but with the players we have I'd still be aiming for 2nd place behind City.

Nordmore

- we are lucky it’s burnley
- weak center backs
- shaky midfield
- enjoyed Shaw/sancho in the first half
- should have killed the game early in the second half
Agreed.

Burnley was on a suicidal mod thinking they could come at us. Served them right.

McT surely MOM. Glad to see good old Shaw back. Three points so I'm happy but truth is we'll need to play better.

MattofManchester

Alright first half. Poor second half.

We need to get better and fast because that's not going to cut it against better teams.

Felt a bit like a match between two lower table teams.

Fts 74

After Mondays horror show I'm happier.

Relatively easy 3 pts still a lot to do but I'll take it.

McTom excellent.

OmarUnited4ever

Odd game. I thought we were shite but we scored 3 and we should have scored 3 more. Not convinced playing 2 up top is in any way sustainable - but at least Shaw showed he’s better than Telles, Mctominay continued his fine form and Sancho/Greenwood looked good.
Exactly how I feel

big rons sovereign

Yeah I actually fell asleep at one point.

Basically when we have a functioning defensive midfield we often win. So McT's performance was key. Perhaps he's worried about incoming competition?
Maybe, I'd be amazed if we signed anybody though.

Real Name

Might have watched a different game than the most here. Solid win, better than on Monday in any case. It started a bit sloppy but as the game went we looked more assured and could have scored more. McT has been great, could have scored 2 more goals. Attackers solid, defenders aside from Maguire who's disastrous, too. We conserved energy in the 2nd half it seems.

We so missed Shaw, he adds so much to our play.

Onwards and upwards, its a start and with more training and playing together it will look better and better.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 287 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley
  • 17% Man Utd 1:0 Burnley