PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Thu, 30 December 2021

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Good to hear that RR put them under pressure after Newcastle. He actually told them they had the record for giving the ball away over the season - that's brilliant!
The other key point - cut out the negative body language. That won’t happen again says McT

wolvored

Good first half awful second pros McTom without Fred shaw Bailly and sancho. We could have scored more, but this is a start

jesperjaap

Mixed bag for me, still certainly nothing to get excited about, we still looked easily over ran without the ball, seems so easy fo rthe other side to keep possesion or move from one end of the pitch to the other against us and thats our lack of ability or legs in midfield.

I thougth McTominay had a decent game, but despite a few crunchign tackles and runs and soem good shots, still many times he was caught out or nearly caught out in possesion or played wayward passes, but he is valuable in certain games as a squad member.

I do like Ragnik and what he has said an ddone generally so far. Think he realised needed to change the full backs, Dalot really isnt good enough for me and needs to go, Fred had a stinker and got dropped and despite Matic havign no legs and going to deep to get the ball, he can at least hold on to it and cycle possesion and positioning is good. Also dropped Rashford after a poor coupel of games and Fernandes who has been terrible for a good 2/3months now and played players to give us proper width and Cavani working up front, gave us mor ebalance with the ball and showed he has no problem dropping big names, something Ole seemed unable to do.

I do hope before he moves upstairs he also has the balls to sell several names though. As McCoist said in commentary, despite beign talented players, no chance this current squad will compete with City or Liverpool, still 3 or so postions in the first eleven need improving and several within the squad in terms of competition and attitude

Roosney

First half we took our chances well, second half I was just happy I had a bottle of Chianti.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Anyway, I think we can all agree that the biggest takeaway from tonight is that, incredibly, Aaron Lennon actually still exists.

Varane around town

Fantastic first half and then we took it easy for the second half because we knew Burnley were of no threat to us.

MrBest

Is this the rejuvenated Mctominay? I hope so, he was brilliant today. I think our performance overall was better than the last 2 or 3 games but still a long way to go. It felt like RR took our football back to basics, the players looked more aware and more understanding of what they should be doing. It helped that Burnley are so bad. Nevertheless, important 3 points, I am very happy with the win.

croadyman

Mixed bag for me, still certainly nothing to get excited about, we still looked easily over ran without the ball, seems so easy fo rthe other side to keep possesion or move from one end of the pitch to the other against us and thats our lack of ability or legs in midfield.

I thougth McTominay had a decent game, but despite a few crunchign tackles and runs and soem good shots, still many times he was caught out or nearly caught out in possesion or played wayward passes, but he is valuable in certain games as a squad member.

I do like Ragnik and what he has said an ddone generally so far. Think he realised needed to change the full backs, Dalot really isnt good enough for me and needs to go, Fred had a stinker and got dropped and despite Matic havign no legs and going to deep to get the ball, he can at least hold on to it and cycle possesion and positioning is good. Also dropped Rashford after a poor coupel of games and Fernandes who has been terrible for a good 2/3months now and played players to give us proper width and Cavani working up front, gave us mor ebalance with the ball and showed he has no problem dropping big names, something Ole seemed unable to do.

I do hope before he moves upstairs he also has the balls to sell several names though. As McCoist said in commentary, despite beign talented players, no chance this current squad will compete with City or Liverpool, still 3 or so postions in the first eleven need improving and several within the squad in terms of competition and attitude
Yeah despite what some are saying about all these staff he's put in place I still reckon he will move upstairs in the summer

OleTheGreat

I don't think this performance is fooling anyone. We got one of those performances from Mctominay which has once or twice a season. Everybody else was nothing but crap again. I don't know what Ralf is telling them but we cannot still find those forward passes. We continue to pass safely and like cowards. Ralf is getting frustrated everyday but I don't think he'll show any of the frustration as yet. He knows very well that this team lacks a lot of conviction and we need time to bring the Manchester United mojo back.

RedDevilRoshi

Got the result that we needed.

McTominay’s best game in a long time. Far better when he plays more advanced in the opppositions half than sitting back and protecting our defence.

That’s the two only real positives for me to take from that. Our passing and movement is still so painful to watch at times.

Last edited:

croadyman

Got the result that we needed.

McTominay’s best game in a long time. Far better when he plays more advanced in the opppositions half than sitting back and protecting our defence.

That’s the two only really positives for me to take from that. Our passing and movement is still so painful to watch at times.
Yeah the passing and movement is non existent compared to the other teams chasing a top 4 spot. Scott put in a performance similar to Leeds last season when he played in that advanced role.

Bondi77

Sancho? Really? Thought he did alright. Maguire and AWB were shocking.
We have paid 73mil on a winger that I have not seen dominate a FB yet and he has not got the pace to get past an average Premier League FB and it as simple as that.

MrSingh2002

We have paid 73mil on a winger that I have not seen dominate a FB yet and he has not got the pace to get past an average Premier League FB and it as simple as that.
You can tell he's carrying a few extra pounds. If we get him losing some body fat he'll do alot better.

Oldham

Very good first half.
Second half a bit of a snooze fest... I was hoping we'd continue attacking them.

McT looked like Bryan Robson first half!

Cantonagotmehere

That was a fun 1st half and 2 half was blah. Man, this place is still loves to moan whenever it can. So much negativity.

Enjoy a win at the end of the year, geez.

Cantonagotmehere

Was really impressed with Greenwood's all around contribution. The McTominay / Matic combination (which worked well) really drives home the need for a proper holding midfielder. With a younger version of Matic, we could really get the best out of McTominay. Maguire looks like he needs to be dropped. VDB looks like he's gonna leave. If he's not getting game time in a match like this, his future has to lie elsewhere.
Great post.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
We need a passer from deep. Immediately. Pogba will never be that guy, but yeah even when McTominay has one of his 1 in 10 blinders we lack a real control of the game.

I also always felt Burnley could score, particularly with Maguire and Matic in there...and Burnley don't score many goals.

I'll take the 3 goals - but performance wise it wasn't for me.

RazorOz

The 2nd goal literally come from him beating the full back.

Bondi77

The defenders in the Bundesliga are nowhere near as fast as the Premier League.
Well I hope people will realize that when we see Haaland and Jude go up for sale as it will inevitably happen and Dortmund try and rip off another club.

Alek M

Da manic one
Ronaldo was shit. Missed many chances and then celebrates a tap in

Maguire is terrible.
So many times we got the ball in last third and instead of forward pass or pushing forward we pass back and lose the tempo.
Like shocking how the players don’t know who was ahead of them for a killer pass.
No bite on the counter

so many hoofed crossed balls forward for a hope and prayer. Wtf.

Lets be honest the goals mostly came from individual brilliance.

we desperately need a young Matic cm.

Bondi77

The 2nd goal literally come from him beating the full back.
The defender was on the back foot and the goal attempt was going wide til it got the deflection, if that is what he is offering us as a winger then for me it is a major letdown.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I thought we played relatively well. Obviously not the free flowing, high pressing game everyone is expecting but we were more controlled. Our passes were more accurate and we worked better as a team. So it was a positive performance and good 3 points.

edcunited1878

Jon Moss reffed the game quite well. He allowed it to go on but still called fouls or advantage when warranted. That helped with the tempo, especially in the first half.

Compare that with the match against Newcastle, Pawson allowed Newcastle to foul and be overly physical. Thus a lot of complaining by United, which got them off track in addition to their already subpar performance.

Overall, good performance, plenty to improve upon, and Happy Birthday Fergie.

Gator Nate

I didn't look at this game so much as where we are but where we might can go. That was a fair lineup he put out there today. Now, find a young equivalent of Matic, and upgrade Maguire. Leave the rest alone. I think we could have something here.

Ralf has no loyalties. Every player on the pitch is expendable and interchangeable. And he did a good job rotating.

Overall, I did think things looked better today than the last few matches. Still have a ways to go, but hey... 3 points.

MalaysianRed7

I must start off by saying that I am a fervent critic of McTominay. However, he was absolutely sensational last night. Excellent shooting, good decision making, his usual energy and finally strong in the tackle. The only way he could have been better was if his two other long shots flew in. Magnificent.

For the rest of the team, I’d say it was a satisfactory performance. Credit to Rangnick, the Palace game and this one have been the only times we’ve looked coached this season. Good pressing and patterns of play, which we really need to continue for the rest of the season. At one end of the pitch, we desperately need a new captain and upgrades on Maguire and Matic, At the other though, Ronaldo scored again to take his tally to 14 this season, and there is serious promise with the likes of Sancho and Mason. Even Rashford would start for every non-big 6 team, and he’s been rubbish this season.

At least with Rangnick, and I thought so after the Newcastle game too, we’re moving in the right direction. He’s instilling a modern, pressing game and a strict, disciplined culture, two extremely important components if we are to be successful. There are things for the next manager to build on. We just have to get top 4.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
First half it was decent performance, created good number of chances too. Most disappointing performance off the ball though, PPDA was around 20, which is what you expect teams to have against City, not against fecking Burnley. For ex, vs Palace it was 7. It was visible without stats too, that we barely pressed them.

Anyways it was much needed results, we should keep this coming even when we are not playing well.

cyril C

Is this the rejuvenated Mctominay? I hope so, he was brilliant today. I think our performance overall was better than the last 2 or 3 games but still a long way to go. It felt like RR took our football back to basics, the players looked more aware and more understanding of what they should be doing. It helped that Burnley are so bad. Nevertheless, important 3 points, I am very happy with the win.
No, it just corrected Ole's previous mistake, by playing McTom behind Fred. McTom is a much bigger threat than Fred further up the field, and McTom is a lousy distributor on the ball.

croadyman

Played well today, but is he good enough for us to challenge? The answer is no answer we need better midfielders
Yeah happy to have him as a squad player but we desperately need a proper CDM and CM who is classy on the ball

croadyman

Strange game, generally as tepid as expected but meh 3 points.

I really find this squad pretty unlikable. Can't wait until we bin some of them off over the next transfer windows (hopefully). Maguire is an absolute trainwreck, still angry we paid £80million for him and made him captain.
Should we be in for Rudiger next summer, mind you be very surprised if Chelsea let him join a rival

Steve 007

Pros: 10 points from 4 games, some will rightly say we should win those four but we were down a hole.
We played well and if Ronaldo was on form would have had 5, 6 if their keeper doesn’t save that vs Cavani.
The body language overall and McT overall we’re so much better.
Sancho getting better.
Shaw played very well.
Varane got more minutes.
Most important for me was McT saying the manager put his foot down and the coaching staff have very high standards, he stamped it out and it won’t happen again. This was music to my ears.

Reactions: oates

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 287 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley