LC W League Cup Round of 16

Manchester United 2:0 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Wed, 21 December 2022

NLunited

Another pragmatic setup by Ten Hag. Hitting them in transition was going to give us the most chances, so that is what we did. We should have scored 4 or 5 ( Burnley 2).

Some players need to step it up: Malacia, McT, Antony, Garnacho. Good thing they are still young.

Rashford is world class, we are going to have to give him a massive contract, or he is off to Real Madrid or Paris SG.

AWB: decent performance but perhaps not good enough to be a starter for us.

lex talionis

A job done performance marred only by a very poor performance by McTominay. Dubravka had a few heads gone moments but we’ve all seen him perform better previously. Even do, if we’re in a pinch at keeper we should consider Heaton first.

Otherwise, not bad at all considering the circumstances.

Guapa

Liked what I seen last night I thought it was just our rustiness that kept them interested and we should have been out of sight by half time.Good stuff,keep it going.

Maticmaker

Despite Rashford's wonder goal, for me Casemiro was the star. Operating on the right-side of what was essentially a back three for most of the game, he completely controlled our performance whether defending or going forward. Some of his cross-field balls either direct or angled/diagonal were invariably to feet; high balls when need to be, but played forward on a lower, more powerful trajectory, to give impetus to our attackers down the middle. The timing of his interceptions and tackles were spot on and only once did he lose his man in the box, luckily nothing came of it.
World class indeed, now if we could only get 10 others to go with him...! Ok, Ok, maybe we have the makings with some already ;)

Hughie77

Decent display, after the break Casimero at CB was very good, his passing from the back was spot on one misplaced one. AWB had a good game, some players need to step up there game, Mctom for one, Rashford loomed realy good full of confidence needs to keep it going, Garnacho is getting better .
Good goals and good display.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Where did Sky find those pair of muppets.
Dreadfull commentary.
Never once did they big Casemiro up, who was a beast tonight.
[/QUO
Commentators generally seem to side with the lower placed team, looking to make headlines by beating the higher placed team, although I thought Burnley would be a far greater threat than they were during the match.

lysglimt

Scout
For me it was a lot better performance than what I expected. I expected us to look a bit lethergic - maybe even insecure with DDG, Shaw, Dalot, Maguire, Varane and Martinez missing defensively. Basically our 6 best defensive players were all missing - and add to that the world cup. In addition Burnley has been in really good form - so it was never going to be easy.

What I really liked was that Burnley hardly created a chance when we didn't make huge individual errors. Dubravka had a couple, McTominay one and Casemiro one. This is a clear indication that our organization was good. And if we hadn't been so sloppy going forward - we could have scored 4-5 goals easily - without really looking great. Martial had 2 decent finishes, one he should have done better with. McTominay should have done better after Rashford set him up, Garnacho on a normal day would at least have scored on his first chance and Antony really should have put Bruno clean through after his run down the right.

So it was solid in terms of organization, but a few sloppy passes gave Burnley some chances. Overall it wasn't great, but it was good enough

lysglimt

Scout
Another pragmatic setup by Ten Hag. Hitting them in transition was going to give us the most chances, so that is what we did. We should have scored 4 or 5 ( Burnley 2).

Some players need to step it up: Malacia, McT, Antony, Garnacho. Good thing they are still young.

Rashford is world class, we are going to have to give him a massive contract, or he is off to Real Madrid or Paris SG.

AWB: decent performance but perhaps not good enough to be a starter for us.
AWB's performance was more than decent. As for Garnacho - he did really poorly on those chances, but what I like about him - he always finds those spaces. I would be much more concerned if he was anonymous - him wasting a few chances is down to inexperience.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
For me it was a lot better performance than what I expected. I expected us to look a bit lethergic - maybe even insecure with DDG, Shaw, Dalot, Maguire, Varane and Martinez missing defensively. Basically our 6 best defensive players were all missing - and add to that the world cup. In addition Burnley has been in really good form - so it was never going to be easy.

What I really liked was that Burnley hardly created a chance when we didn't make huge individual errors. Dubravka had a couple, McTominay one and Casemiro one. This is a clear indication that our organization was good. And if we hadn't been so sloppy going forward - we could have scored 4-5 goals easily - without really looking great. Martial had 2 decent finishes, one he should have done better with. McTominay should have done better after Rashford set him up, Garnacho on a normal day would at least have scored on his first chance and Antony really should have put Bruno clean through after his run down the right.

So it was solid in terms of organization, but a few sloppy passes gave Burnley some chances. Overall it wasn't great, but it was good enough
Very good analysis, pretty much summed up what I thought.
Also got some minutes on the pitch for Antony and Shaw.
Other points, Dubravka looked overawed AWB still looked a little shaky, but more involved going forward, Malacia ok, but still a work in progress. McTominay was disappointing really, couple of good passes, but realistically he not consistently good enough to hold down a permanent place in the first team. Garnacho was a bit below par, but this will happen as he learns to cope with first team action.
Martial again was ok, missed a couple of chances that on another day he would have taken, but building his confidence is a must. Elanga definitely needs a loan.
All in all a pleasing night.

croadyman

Somebody must have had a word with ten Hag. He now finishes his interviews with "You're welcome" rather than his usual "...please!"

Hope we get Charlton next round just to piss everyone off.
Ask and you shall receive

wangyu

It is all good and well but how will we beat City when we draw them after beating Charlton. Sorry Charlton fans but we will beat you :angel:

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 148 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 Burnley
  • 25% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley