PL L FA Premier League

Chelsea 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 23 October 2016

Fully Fledged

Have to rotate more on Thursday nights... We have a big squad and need to use it.

The likes of schnderlin, TFM, Depay, could have started on Thursday and we would have had fresh legs for today. But thats not a excuse for the inept performance.
We rotated 7 players. Only 4 played who played against Liverpool. EL is not an excuse for this.

DevilRed

If anything, Jose needs more time to bring in his own players and get rid of the mentally weak.

This is evidence that there is alot of work to do. We have seen these same players perform well against certain teams at home. Which leads me to believe its a mental thing. The heads dip immediately once they let in a goal. You could see it after the 30 seconds mistake.

Not enough fight and workrate. Either they change or Jose will get in new players.

Would really like to see him use Morgan and Henrikh because I think they would at least lift our level of play.

Eriku

Shots on target, off target, pass percentage, possession... Looking at the stats, it was an even match.

We deservedly lost, but it's because of individual errors. It certainly doesn't suit us to approach big matches with the goal of nullifying the opposition threat, rather than making them deal with our threat. It was one of my big misgivings with regards to hiring Mourinho.

In Rainbows

Just think the players lost it after a series of mistakes from the defense. They couldn't recover after that. I mean that isn't good from a mental standpoint, but that defense was just horrible and ruined it for the whole team.

mark_a

Aside from the details of the game, I hate the fact that we're a team that can't win 4-0. If today was the other way around, we'd have let them back into the game and it would have ended 4-1.

That points to what our problem is, that even on a good day, we can't put teams to the sword.

Though Chelsea must have thought all their Christmasses had come at once. We looked tired and they smashed out (likely) plan to keep it tight, within seconds.

Smalling needs to be put firmly in the group of players to ask serious questions of. Another player who looks great when the going is easier, but hasn't got it when it gets tough.

Rojo - Does anyone think he can play? Does he?

Which all makes me feel sorry for the players who are playing / trying to play (Herrera, Tony V etc...). Plus throwing Rashford & Lingard in the mix (though hopefully it'll battle harden them up).

With all the Pogba discussion and impatience, what he needs to do is just raise himself above anonymity - he really was poor today.

rpitchfo

So much wrong this game...but i'll pick something smallish. I really don't think this team can move on till Valencia is shipped out. I know this argument has been rehashed a million times so I won't go into it. But the lad is so fit and make himself available for the pass so often that he ends up with the ball too many times. Nothing ever comes from it.

mav_9me

Terrible performance. Players didn't look like they gave a feck today. How they can quite be all smiles at the end after being embarrassed 4-0 I don't know.
Yeah..one thing is Fergies team would not have a single smile after that. Not a chance. Part of it is the multinational aspect of it meaning friends from national teams in opposing teams but Mata wasn't smiling...As opposed to De Gea or Zlatan..

Rob67

What was that reaction from the players at full time? None of them seemed to take this crushing loss at heart, almost as if it didn't matter to them. Too many off them were just buddy-buddy with the Chelsea players, and not one of them seemed to show any pain after that loss.

I wonder if the club will do something after this match because I can't believe how relaxed our players looked at full time.
Absolutely hate it when players walk off with stupid grins on their faces, laughing and joking with the opposition, after getting well and truly hammered. Fecking disgrace. Feel the pain like we do, you overpaid arseholes.

Sp00ks11

Said it before a few weeks ago and will say it again, we have beaten nobody this season! There was an awful lot of confidence and optimism based on nothing.

Sigma

So much wrong this game...but i'll pick something smallish. I really don't think this team can move on till Valencia is shipped out. I know this argument has been rehashed a million times so I won't go into it. But the lad is so fit and make himself available for the pass so often that he ends up with the ball too many times. Nothing ever comes from it.
What are you talking about? He was our best player by a mile today and actually played pretty well.

Haters will be haters :rolleyes:

DevilRed

Most of those players were Fergie or Jose players. Only Blind can be deemed LVG. Only Fellani can be deemed Moyes.
Herrera was poor today as well. It just seems the most important part of the team (midfield) is a shambles. We look disjointed and second to every ball with Fellaini in there.

Begs the question why Carrick and Schneiderlin are not used ahead of Fellaini. I swear they cant be worse and would at LEAST provide some sort of mobility and cover to allow the others to get forwards.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Gea - Could do nothing with any of the goals, defence let him down

Valencia - Probably the only one who gave his all and did pretty well individually. Let down by the rest
Smalling - fecking brutal. Don't think I've seen a worse defensive performance from a center back at United. THIS is why he isn't good enough. Performances this bad simply can't happen.
Bailly - Did okay, not his best but also let down by blind and smalling mostly. His and Valencia's side wasn't that troubled until he came off.
Blind - Shocking today, couldn't pass, couldn't defend

Fellaini - He shouldn't be anywhere close to this club. He's a thug on the pitch and his only purpose is to disrupt the game but he disrupts our game more anyway. Sincerely hope he never plays for us again. Never hated a United player as much as I hate him.
Herrera - His worst performance of the season but was still probably our best player of the front 6 that started... so yeah, not the issue

Pogba - Awful again. Those who were saying he was world class/one of the best mids in the world are having a laugh. He's not fit to lace the boots of the best. You just can't have performances as bad as the ones he has been putting in. What he is, is a highlights player. Capable of some nice touches and shots from range, but then jogs around the rest of the game. Juve will be laughing that we gave them 90m while they bring in a clearly superior midfielder in Pjanic for 25m.

Lingard - Didn't think he did too badly but he isn't anything more then average anyway. Squad player at best.
Rashford - Not a winger, but I like his mentality and was one of the few who didn't collapse.

Ibra - Useless for the past month, that bit where he took it on his chest and volleyed was his best piece of play in ages but at the same time he should've scored.

Mourinho - Shite selection today and wrong mentality. Why isn't Carrick starting? He is our only midfielder who knows how to control games. Why isn't Martial starting? He was our best player last season and is still our most dynamic player and our most dangerous player going forward, we need to get him back to his best and if that means playing him into form, so be it. Him at 60% is still better then the other wingers. Also Mata, sure we also lost the second half 2-0 but on the ball we looked a lot better. We never seem to play well without him, so just play him. Who gives a feck if he doesn't havea lot of physicality. Lastly, PLAY MKHITARYAN ALREADY. The guy is quality and is on a different planet to Lingard (who wouldn't standout at even the bottom premier league clubs most of the time).

Irrational.

I find this comment utterly, utterly baffling. There are many things wrong with our squad, and Antonio is the least of them.

Swearing Budgie

What was that reaction from the players at full time? None of them seemed to take this crushing loss at heart, almost as if it didn't matter to them. Too many off them were just buddy-buddy with the Chelsea players, and not one of them seemed to show any pain after that loss.

I wonder if the club will do something after this match because I can't believe how relaxed our players looked at full time.
This always depresses me. We fans care so much more than the players. Our week is ruined by a big defeat whereas I bet half our lot will be partying with the Chelsea players in London tonight.

You should hate losing and you should hate the opposition. At least during and immediately before/after a match.

mav_9me

Exactly. Chelsea weren't even that good today. We were extraordinarily shit.
Yeah. They didn't do anything. And they scored 4. Not taking anything away from Chelsea. Just stating the obvious that they didn't need to do much. We were so shit.

MUFAN79

Shit on a stick football. What worries me, i have been saying this for a while now, is little we create. I think Jose will repair our shite defending quickly but im worried we will stay blunt up front.

Agreed. We look like a pub team in the final third. Just passing the ball slowly from left to right. So painful to watch.

rpitchfo

What are you talking about? He was our best player by a mile today and actually played pretty well.

Yes, he did ok. But everything goes through him....and he's pretty average in the grand scheme of things.

RedIke

Our manager was totally let down by the players today.
Couldn't agree more. How many more managers and millions of dollars can be spent?

If anyone can fix it. Jose will. It's purely mental with these players. Nothing else. It's all between their ears.

I'll stay patient. Although there is no denying that was fecking brutal.

In Rainbows

I was thinking the same thing :lol:

Denis79

Shit tactics, Smalling and Blind terrible. Only two players that did ok is Herrera and Valencia. We got dominated...

Irrational.

Henry makes a valid point in the post-match coverage that the Chelsea players played their hearts out today - probably to prove something to Mourinho.

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
Annoyed about the result. Annoyed about the performance. Annoyed that the traffic was so bloated it was like watching a slide show with sound, which forced me to abandon all efforts at half time. But what's most annoying are the number of comments stating that Jose is done, finished, needs to be fired. As if after that terrible game we need to read that kind of negativity. Vent? Moan? Accuse? Sure, whatever helps. But for goodness sake it's October. Mourinho hasn't got a magic wand. He can't perform miracles and unfortunately we all have to suffer the likes of Smalling, Blind, Lingard and Fellaini playing regularly, when they are blatantly squad level at best, whilst he builds a winning team; if he can. If we had a prime Vidic or Rio instead of a dim-witted Smalling the result could have been very different.

If's & but's aside, we can't hope for too much. Maybe just a decent centre half to partner Bailly, and one of those midfielders who intelligently closes people down, gets blocks in and wins tackles, for the full 90 minutes, or close enough. Won't name names due to my persistent lamentation at seeing one of them go from one rival PL club to another. He put on a good show today, I'll say that.

Womp

idiot
People pointing at Jose is hilarious. It's so obvious these players are fecking shite. I'm sick of everyone always pointing at our fecking managers, it's no surprise we have been shite under 3 different managers since SAF. The players are overpaid, bottling, useless cnuts.

Look at their fecking attitude, they just got embarrassed 4-0 and were laughing and swapping shirts with the Chelsea players after the game. They should be distraught and embarrassed to show their faces, let alone posing with the fecking Chelsea players.

Only thing I can really fault Jose for is his persistence on picking under-performing players. Fecking drop Ibra and Pogba. I don't give a feck how talented Pogba is and how good Ibra was in the past.

Literally only player that did himself any justice out there today who looked like he actually wanted to win was Herrera and that's just about always the case with him.

Feck every other player at this club, sack them all. I'm fecking sick of this shit, so fecking sick of it. Waking up at 2 and 3 in the morning to watch the team I love and instead I get fecking frauds every fecking week who couldn't give two shits about the club.

In Rainbows

I don't think it's about him playing well. I think it's due to him being the main attacking outlet. The blame should go to the manager, but I think he was assuming nothing would change on that front.

Can't really blame Valencia for his individual performance.

mav_9me

Shots on target, off target, pass percentage, possession... Looking at the stats, it was an even match.

We deservedly lost, but it's because of individual errors. It certainly doesn't suit us to approach big matches with the goal of nullifying the opposition threat, rather than making them deal with our threat. It was one of my big misgivings with regards to hiring Mourinho.
I personally don't think there is anything wrong with that approach but not at the cost of nullifying your own game. You know that Fergie did that all the time in the away games. But not by playing cloggers like Fellaini.

DevilRed

3 games in 6 days. Chelsea last played 8 days ago.

But we never got going. That has to be the worst defensive performance I've seen from us in a long time. Absolutely shocking.

But this happens. People will go overboard as per.

City game is huge. Even if it is the league cup.
At least our next prem match is at home.

The schedule has been brutal on us. Two away matches against top teams sandwiched by a thursday match.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I thought I was being harsh with my ratings for the match but it's nearly a whole point more than the Caf average :lol:

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
NO PASSION
NO FIGHT

Thats our problem, we have no fighting spirit in us, I couldn't believe my eyes at the end of the game, the players walked off the pitch arm in arm with the Chelsea players, swapping shirts etc.

Our lads just don't care, they are earning there mega wages regardless, this was evident at the end of the game.

This is what we need.

space

Well that's ruined my oncoming week, no football for me for a while, totally fecking shite. Nothing to offer in attack, shambolic defending by Blind and Smalling, DDG looked lost, midfield shit, just terrible. Don't care about the EFL cup game vs City tbh. We are only 6 points off the top, but I don't see any positive signs at the moment. Just winning three games in a row would be nice tbh

gazman

A disgrace from start to finish. Didn't think Chelsea were particularly great but they didn't need to be. The majority of the players clearly lack both the mentality and ability to play for United but that's something we already learned under Van Gaal and Moyes. Ibrahimovic provides absolutely nothing besides being offside and giving away free kicks and the less said about Fellaini the better.
I really fear for us going forward. I have absolutely zero faith in Mourinho turning this around.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We need a few Roy Keane characters in that drwsing room. How these tossers think this is an acceptable performance beyond me.

Eddy_JukeZ

Arguably the worst loss since Fergie retired. At least before, I hung on to hope with a better manager those embarrassing losses will end, but we just suffered a 4-0 drumming with Jose.

There was literally nothing positive today and I feel like we've no hope for top 4 this season.

I don't even know anymore. Any optimism I had is completely gone.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
What was ZLATAN doing not only during but after the game. Fecking disgraceful from the so called on-field leader of Jose. Does anybody apart from the fans even care about this club anymore?
What did he do? Missed 2nd half.

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 513 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Chelsea 1:1 Man Utd