PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 August 2019

Enfant terrible

Wow. You just rewrote everything that happened. If city didn’t score 5 vs West Ham they wouldn’t have won their game!

Every game of football has moments that can go one way or another. Ultimately, Chelsea’s shots that hit the post are off target. That isn’t unlucky it’s poor finishing. Zouma being clumsy is poor decision making from him but also good play from Rashford.

Dan James has a bit of luck with the deflection but there’s every chance his shot goes in near post without it.
He deserved that luck. You hve to chase your dreams. I remember a lot of lucky shots that in the end brought us the title. It s the little things that count. It s that sprint on 3:0, that determination. It was a beauty.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Even a dead cat is right twice a day
That's a stopped clock. Actually a stopped clock is always right at every second, somewhere on the planet. As for dead cats, depends on how many lives they still had left when they kicked the particular bucket.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
That's a stopped clock. Actually a stopped clock is always right at every second, somewhere on the planet. As for dead cats, depends on how many lives they still had left when they kicked the particular bucket.
I know, I was making a malaphor as it's an interesting mix :)

redmanx

Have read quite a few posts playing down our win.

Why? We just drilled Chelsea 4-0! Let's enjoy it!!
It was the first Prem match after a disastrous season against one of the 6 teams, we won 4-0, could have had 6, our new players were very good, Pogba was magnificent at times, DeGea is back to his best, Rashfords enjoying himself again, we kept a clean sheet, the football we played made me smile and my pie at half time was very tasty.....and still people whinge....have they got nout better to do?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Was Lampard naive to be so aggressive at Old Trafford? With an inexperienced back line, most managers would have gone to Utd with 0-0, 1-1 and 0-1 scoreline in mind. Mou certainly would have. I guess Lampard thought he could capitalize on United's shaky end to the season and put us on the back foot early. Yes, it might have worked if he got the first goal.

This might show he is not quite ready to manage a big club.

sparx99

He deserved that luck. You hve to chase your dreams. I remember a lot of lucky shots that in the end brought us the title. It s the little things that count. It s that sprint on 3:0, that determination. It was a beauty.
Yeah, just watch clips or Lampards defected goals in his career. It’s not how it’s how many in the end!

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Was Lampard naive to be so aggressive at Old Trafford? With an inexperienced back line, most managers would have gone to Utd with 0-0, 1-1 and 0-1 scoreline in mind. Mou certainly would have. I guess Lampard thought he could capitalize on United's shaky end to the season and put us on the back foot early. Yes, it might have worked if he got the first goal.

I'm not so sure. Three points for a win, one for a draw and zero for a loss generally makes it more rewarding over the length of a season to take risks and play for three points, even if you lose some.

As for Lampard, I think it's still too soon to say. They played well despite the result and it's unfair to write him or Chelsea off after just one game.

As a United fan I'm very happy with the points we took off them, but I hope they improve and take points off our rivals.

Siorac

That's not how timezones work though.

Lynty

No, he took a risk and it didn't work. Best to try it on first game.

Imagine if he parked the bus looking for a draw and lost anyway, which is highly likely as their defence is shaky. First impression as the Chelsea manager would be really poor.

At least he went for it, you could tell the team was with him 100%, and without Rudiger, Kante and Willians work rate, I don't think he could play a structured, defensive game anyway.

caid

He probably would have been bettter served shutting up shop a bit at 2-0 down but he couldn't have adjusted before they went 3-0 down so its hard to criticise him for that either.

ChaddyP

He probably would have been bettter served shutting up shop a bit at 2-0 down but he couldn't have adjusted before they went 3-0 down so its hard to criticise him for that either.
Yeh no way he could have adjusted. We literally nicked the ball off them from their kick off and scored again :lol:

Pass and Move

Anyone know where I can see heat maps or average positions for individual players form this match?

Thanks.

TRUERED89

It was the first Prem match after a disastrous season against one of the 6 teams, we won 4-0, could have had 6, our new players were very good, Pogba was magnificent at times, DeGea is back to his best, Rashfords enjoying himself again, we kept a clean sheet, the football we played made me smile and my pie at half time was very tasty.....and still people whinge....have they got nout better to do?
AMEN!

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
... and he did so because Lingard chased down a misdirected through ball from Rashford, and found Perreira with his pass.

I think some people on here have such a determined agenda against some of our players that it doesn't matter how well they play, they'll still be targets. Lingard actually played very well after being moved into a more central position. Perreira was a bit anonymous, but I like his aggression generally, and I think it provides a useful balance with the flair players. I think in the games where we are clear favourites, Ole could opt for the greater attacking threat of James, or even Greenwood, on the right with either Lingard or Perreira taking the central role (Lingard would get the nod on yesterday's showing).
And won the ball back which led to the third goal.
Exactly. People are constantly looking for scapegoats. Yes Pereira and Lingard are not the same quality of first 11 United players of the past but we are not at that level now. They are decent squad players that love the club, and are better than some squad players of the Fergie years.

They will become squad players gradually as we have more transfer windows. And are good enough to be squad players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You have to worry about games we don't run out comfortable winners in!

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 901 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Chelsea
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea